PDA

View Full Version : Recording from DVD to CD

town73
29/11/2005, 11:03 PM
Is there a simple way to record from DVD to CD? Have a number of live music DVDs that are not available on CD. The Live 8 DVD would be one.

BTW, fascinating interview with Bob Geldof on RTE about what went on behind the scenes before the momentous gig - especially the efforts to get Gilmour, Waters and Mason to re-form for one of the highlights of Live 8.

A face
29/11/2005, 11:04 PM
Do you have a CD burner and a DVD player on your PC ??

dahamsta
30/11/2005, 11:06 AM
Last time I did this the audio had to be ripped from the VOB files and it wasn't a particularly simple task. However there are probably tools out there for it at this stage -- did you Google for obvious stuff like "rip dvd audio"?

adam

ThatGuy
30/11/2005, 11:25 AM
It is a fairly straight forward thing to do.

Connect your DVD player to the computer, which you can do from with a midi to phono cable (i think that's what it's called, the red and white cable connections at one end and phono connection at the other, they're about €5 in shops) and connect it to your computer via the phono input (probably has a mic logo above the input).

You will need suitable software, like Sound Forge (which is what I use) and simply record all the sound you wish. You can then save it as a WAV file which you can directly record to CD, or using SoundForge you split teh whole file into various tracks, even have fade ins/outs etc and you should be able to make a perfect CD of whatever DVD you want.

dahamsta
30/11/2005, 11:35 AM
Won't he get an analog signal that way? Ripping from the VOBs creates a digital copy and doesn't require him to hook anything up to anything like...

adam

A face
30/11/2005, 11:49 AM
Won't he get an analog signal that way?

Yeah .... i fupping hate that !!

town73
30/11/2005, 1:28 PM
Do you have a CD burner and a DVD player on your PC ??

I have both on my Apple iBook. My mate has a PC with both so I'll try the rip DVD software. Thanks.