View Full Version : Questions for GUFC fans

Patrick Dunne
29/11/2005, 11:13 AM
Please reply to the following (less than 100 words each) :

Good or bad season ?
Highlights and lowlights ?
Hopes for next year ?
One to watch for 2006 ?

I am writing a short review of the season and would like to get feedback from our supporters.

Conor H
29/11/2005, 3:31 PM
Bad season...we must remember we were second last for ages and lost too many times at Terryland.Also failed to get out of the worst 1st Division ever.
Highlight:Games v Cork........Trips To Sligo and Cobh.
Lowlight...Loosing to Kilkenny at home in front of less than 200 people.
Hopes:Win the league next year!
One to watch for 2006:O Reilly.

exiled_gufc_fan
29/11/2005, 4:51 PM
Good or bad season - Bad season. We didn't even manage to beat Sligo once! We lost twice to Monaghan. Nearly men again in terms of promotion. Just look at the some of the comments on here re Shamrock Rovers and relegation - why are we not saying the same about another season in the First Division?

Highlights and lowlights - Highlight - somehow ending up in with an outside chance of promotion at the end. Other highlight - positive behind the scenes vibes. Lowlight - too many.

Hopes for next year - Attendances improve (this year overall approx the same as last year), ability to win games even when we play badly is required to help gain promotion. Only measure of success though is ultimately promotion. I'd rather promotion than beating Sligo in the Cup Final.

One to watch for 2006 - Difficult to say from afar.

Terry
30/11/2005, 8:14 AM
I would have to say a bad season overall. you could say we did well to finish where we did but when you look at the state the division was in we could have walked the league if we had a half decent start to the season.

Highlights would be the end of season run in giving you half a reason to be still going to terryland at the end of the season. Also, the off the field work which was done by both the fulltime staff and volunteers this season was superb. JUST BUILD THE STAND NOW!

Lowlights would probably be what went on on the pitch for the first half of the season. Had to be the worst football I witnessed in terryland since I started going up during the 1985/6 season.

I can only hope next season that Lal gets the players he wants and we get off to a start that mirrors our run in from the season just finished. So, WIN the league and a good cup run will only do.

One to watch for next season (although we dont even know who we have from last season or going to sign for next) I will probably go with Mixie. He was the clubs player of the year and I think he has a lot more to show us. Would also keep an eye out for Reilly, this guy has some outstanding ability that was only coming to the front at the end of the season, and from what I hear has an excellent strike rate.

Tribesman
30/11/2005, 12:57 PM
Good or bad season ?
Bad season considering we did not challenge for the promotion places in the Division.

Highlights and lowlights ?
Highlights included the home game against Cork in the Cup which we should
of won, plus the second home game with Sligo at home which ended 1-1.
Other highlights from these games was the travelling support both these
teams brought to Terryland.

The continued improved performances of Mixie Harty is a definite highlight and a highlight in particular was when he left a bemused George O'Callaghan flat on his back in the middle of the Terryland pitch.

Lowlights....performances against Mons at home, defeat to Kilkenny at home
and the awful display to Dundalk in Terryland when we lost 3-0.
Some of our home attendances added to the lowlights.

Hopes for next year ?
To challenge for promotion throughout the season.

One to watch for 2006 ?
John Russell could be one to watch out for. A lot was expected from him
and now he will have to prove what he is worth.

gufct
30/11/2005, 3:51 PM
turned my opinion on the season and with 3 more wins we would have won the league.

Highlights Home and Away victories versus Dublin City plus the 5-2 victory over Limerick

Lowlights too many to mention !!!!!!

Next year has to be promotion and developing the town side of Terryland.

I have 3 for the future Keane,Reilly & Russler who finally got back to his best in the last 3 games.

Aaron GUFC
30/11/2005, 5:24 PM
bad season

highlights were against Cork and Limerick for me

lowlights were that we had way to many poor performances and not enough pride and passion last season

we need promotion and a few nice signings and the development of our club and stadium and we also need our attendances back

One to watch would have to be... well there is a few including Keane, Reilly, Russell for the young players and Mixie too cos hes our player of the season by far

hynzy
01/12/2005, 9:17 PM
Bad season... If it was looked on as a good season we would be going nowhere. The end of season run which was brilliant cant hide how bad we were during the season.

Highlight: the away support, always a good crowd and always great craic.hopefully we made ourselves a good reputation around the league for having great fans.

Lowlight...Loosing to Kilkenny, definitly Galway Utd's lowet point in a long time. but as they say sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can start comin up, and were definitly on the way up.

Hopes:Win the league next year with a strong squad and big crowds in Terryland.

One to watch for 2006: Russler, mixie, and now Murphs(legend)

Aaron GUFC
02/12/2005, 11:03 PM
Yes we'll all have to agree Alan Murphy is our key man for next season. God will be top goal scorer no doubt.