PDA

View Full Version : Hidden History-Tonight

Terry
29/11/2005, 8:00 AM
Interesting programme on RTE tonight about Cork being burned down in 1920 by the black and tans

http://www.rte.ie/tv/hiddenhistory/

Peadar
29/11/2005, 8:07 AM
Interesting programme on RTE tonight...

I was going to post the same thing myself, Terry.

Perhaps there should be a sticky for people who want to watch TV shows other than rubbish like Desperate American Birds or Plane Crashes on Island.

That Hidden History series is very good!

Block G Raptor
29/11/2005, 9:17 AM
:D I'll Be watching it might pick up some tips for our next visit to the cross

Dricky
29/11/2005, 10:47 AM
:D I'll Be watching it might pick up some tips for our next visit to the cross

WHat as a Black and tan???? Kilkenny merge with Bohs.....

Block G Raptor
29/11/2005, 10:54 AM
WHat as a Black and tan???? Kilkenny merge with Bohs.....

Jebus my post was pretty unfunny (couldn't resist)
but yours takes the fcuking tin of chocolate Hobnobs in the unfunny stakes

Lim till i die
29/11/2005, 11:20 AM
Jebus my post was pretty unfunny (couldn't resist)
but yours takes the fcuking tin of chocolate Hobnobs in the unfunny stakes

Bohs links to the British army become ever more apparent :p :)

Block G Raptor
29/11/2005, 5:12 PM
Bohs links to the British army become ever more apparent :p :)

As a member of Sinn Fein I find that Highly Offensive

A face
29/11/2005, 7:42 PM

What, taking the biscuits ?? :confused: :p

SaucyJack
29/11/2005, 8:04 PM
interesting story on James "Gunner" Mason in that RTE Hidden History link.

A face
29/11/2005, 10:58 PM
Jebus ... fairly mad stuff went on back then alright, i knew the story alright but that show has some of the finer details. Unreal.

Why are we taught any of that in school though .... you'd have to ask that.

dcfcsteve
30/11/2005, 12:04 AM
Always amazes me how little Free Staters seem to care about the North these days. A lot of people in the Republic have the aul' 'your just uncivilised head-cases' attitude, and seem to buy the British media line of it being about 2 communities who can't get on, as if the British have been nothing but a benign force in Irish history.

Shows like this remind you that the Republic isn't too many years away from its own st mayhem and problems. How quickly some people forget.... :mad:

Lim till i die
30/11/2005, 7:58 AM

Please except my humblest and heartfelt apologies for the grave wrong I've done you :rolleyes:

A face
30/11/2005, 9:49 AM
Always amazes me how little Free Staters seem to care about the North these days. A lot of people in the Republic have the aul' 'your just uncivilised head-cases' attitude, and seem to buy the British media line of it being about 2 communities who can't get on, as if the British have been nothing but a benign force in Irish history.

Shows like this remind you that the Republic isn't too many years away from its own st mayhem and problems. How quickly some people forget.... :mad:

I'd agree with ya Steve, but its not a case of forgetting though ... its more of a case of not being taught that brand of history. Maybe the blame for that is misdirected.

Eire06
30/11/2005, 9:56 AM
I'd agree with ya Steve, but its not a case of forgetting though ... its more of a case of not being taught that brand of history. Maybe the blame for that is misdirected.

More shows like Hidden History are called for to educate the people of this country on our history

pete
30/11/2005, 10:18 AM
I didn't see the show but people need to remember history but also move on from it. If we never move on then will be fighting wars for ever...

Peadar
30/11/2005, 10:35 AM
How quickly some people forget.... :mad:

Steve mate, I wasn't yet born in the 20's.
My parents weren't yet born.
My grand parents weren't even born actually.

Of course it's easy for us to forget, we were never shown footage like that before. To us, it's history.

dcfcsteve
30/11/2005, 11:32 AM
Steve mate, I wasn't yet born in the 20's.
My parents weren't yet born.
My grand parents weren't even born actually.

Of course it's easy for us to forget, we were never shown footage like that before. To us, it's history.

Jaysus - they breed young down in Cork !!

My dad was born in 1935 - my Grandad in 1896. His dad was even around to fight for the Brits in the Boer War..!

The Northern Ireland history sylabus (or at least the one I did at a Catholic school) provided a relatively comprehensive overview of the Easter Rising, War of Independence and the Troubles, so we got at leats a tastae of the times. The Burning of Cork was really only a scentence and a single photo though (that one they showed a few times last night of the row of burned-out cottages). It's terrible though if schools aren't even bothering to teach people the history of their own town....

Peadar
30/11/2005, 11:38 AM
Jaysus - they breed young down in Cork !!

Not really Steve.
I'm much younger than you and my dad is much younger than yours.

We have a different education system to you and I was of the Junior Cert era where the burning of Cork didn't feature strongly in the syllabus.

dcfcsteve
30/11/2005, 2:26 PM
I was of the Junior Cert era where the burning of Cork didn't feature strongly in the syllabus.

If it had been the burning of Dublin, I'm sure it would've featured more highly..... :D

Syllabus aside - I do think schools/history teachers have an unwritten duty to educate their kids on local history. I was lucky wnough to have a history teacher who was happy to 'free-style' onto a lot of this - but then Derry did have a fairly central role in the start of the Troubles, so he wasn't straying too far....

Peadar
30/11/2005, 2:34 PM
I do think schools/history teachers have an unwritten duty to educate their kids on local history.

In order to teach it, the teacher needs to know it.
If it's some poor mug from up the country, who learns what they must in order to get a teaching job, then gets sent down to West Cork, they might have a hard time telling the local kids what their history is.

dcfcsteve
30/11/2005, 3:40 PM
In order to teach it, the teacher needs to know it.
If it's some poor mug from up the country, who learns what they must in order to get a teaching job, then gets sent down to West Cork, they might have a hard time telling the local kids what their history is.

Fair point. Though they could just make it up.... :D

Block G Raptor
30/11/2005, 5:47 PM
If it had been the burning of Dublin, I'm sure it would've featured more highly..... :D

Syllabus aside - I do think schools/history teachers have an unwritten duty to educate their kids on local history. I was lucky wnough to have a history teacher who was happy to 'free-style' onto a lot of this - but then Derry did have a fairly central role in the start of the Troubles, so he wasn't straying too far....

Totally agree, the teacher I had in 6th class taught us a lot of stuff about the troubles that deffo was NOT on the sylabus he certainly helped to water the seeds of republicanism that my parents (moderatly republican) had planted in me. Led me to become very Republican in adulthood without doubt
also still have a huge interest in reading Irish History

hamish
02/12/2005, 1:23 AM
My late father was in the old IRA up Kildare way and himself and his colleagues nearly got the bejasus shot out of them one night by the tans back then, We've still got a medal he received from that organisation........kind of an old boys presentation.

Block G Raptor
02/12/2005, 3:11 PM
Please except my humblest and heartfelt apologies for the grave wrong I've done you :rolleyes:

Ay s'pose its time to forgive and forget :D