PDA

View Full Version : Leeson new General Manager

Conor H
28/11/2005, 5:03 PM
Galway United have announced the appointment of Nick Leeson as General Manager.

Leeson, who joined the Tribesmen as Commercial Manager earlier this year, will take up his new position with immediate effect.

The Englishman, who gained worldwide notoriety as the man whose rogue trading brought down Barings Bank in the 1990s, will help launch Galway’s new season ticket campaign at the Radisson SAS Hotel, Galway, on Tuesday evening (November 29th).

Leeson is confident that the Terryland Park club can become a real player in Irish soccer in the coming years, citing praise from consultancy firm Genesis.

He said: “I have enjoyed the experience so far at Galway United and am looking forward to this new position. Everyone at the club knows how important next season will be for Galway United.

“We have done a lot of work on and off the field for next season. With the Genesis Report recommending a reduction in the number of National League teams from 22 to 10, every club in the country is aware that their future is at stake.

“Genesis made a presentation in Galway last week and Genesis director, Brian MacNeice, again stated that the strategic plan produced by Galway United is the best they have seen in the National League.

“Delivering on that plan is the primary aim of the club, ensuring that National League football continues in Galway. It is a big challenge but everyone at the club is geared towards delivering on it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I thought he was made general manager after Mannion left:confused: Anyway fair play to him....he seems to be doing alot of work for the club.:)

A face
28/11/2005, 11:10 PM
This was taken from www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=20171)

Ranger
29/11/2005, 11:14 AM
What has Nick achieved at GUFC since his appointment??
I'm just curious, not trying to undermine him!

Terry
29/11/2005, 11:18 AM
What has Nick achieved at GUFC since his appointment??
I'm just curious, not trying to undermine him!

A serious rise in profile for the club and a nice amount of money:D

joeSoap
29/11/2005, 11:21 AM
A serious rise in profile for the club and a nice amount of money:DThe money, which is most important, yes, but a nice raise in profle..don't think so..

Terry
29/11/2005, 11:22 AM
The money, which is most important, yes, but a nice raise in profle..don't think so..

I didnt see limerick on the front pages of news papers across the world:)

Patrick Dunne
29/11/2005, 11:29 AM
The main event Nick organised was the Celebrity Fives, which netted close to
E20k. He has been heavily involved in getting more pitchside advertisers. He has revitalised the after match pub sponsor. Nick is the organiser of the race night on Thursday December 15th and he is also behind a coupon scheme, in conjunction the Galway FA, which is being launched at the moment.

A lot done, much more to do. His main advantage is his high public profile, which has opened doors. The main disadvantage of having professional administrative staff is that volunteers who previously brought in player sponsors, advertisements etc, now tend to leave these tasks to those in the office.

Despite all the talk of club structures, Genesis etc, it must be borne in mind that we have had extraordinarily poor gates this season. For many of our home games, less than 200 adults paid in. There is a heavy burden on the club office, our club executive and the GUST to make up the shortfall.

The season ticket campaign is where our supporters can help. Buy one before Christmas and sell a few to your friends. For further information, check out www.galwayunitedfc.ie, send me a pm, ring GUFC at (091) 580990 or call
Ronan Coleman at (087) 6972823.

Come on United !

PD.

A face
29/11/2005, 11:07 PM
Nick Leeson gets football promotion

Galway United is pleased to announce that Nick Leeson has been promoted to the position of General Manager at the club.

Mr Leeson, who was appointed as Commercial Manager earlier this year, will take up his new position with immediate effect.

Read more at www.soccercentral.ie (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?mainheading=Eircom&id=15649&viewstory=yes)

Student Mullet
30/11/2005, 2:50 AM
With the Genesis Report recommending a reduction in the number of National League teams from 22 to 10, every club in the country is aware that their future is at stake.Genesis said nothing of the sort. They proposed a return to the ten team premier, there would still be room for the current 22 teams.

Aside from that, well done to Nick. Reports say that he's done good things at Galway so I hope he continues the good work.

Conor H
30/11/2005, 6:38 AM
Genesis said nothing of the sort. They proposed a return to the ten team premier, there would still be room for the current 22 teams.

Aside from that, well done to Nick. Reports say that he's done good things at Galway so I hope he continues the good work.
I'm aware of that.That was taken from www.eleven-a-side.com

Aaron GUFC
30/11/2005, 5:33 PM
As long as we dont go bankrupt i'm happy ^^

thejollyrodger
30/11/2005, 6:11 PM
well at least we now know where galway united are getting the cash from :P

Student Mullet
01/12/2005, 12:28 AM
I'm aware of that.That was taken from www.eleven-a-side.comSorry Conor,
I wasn't having a go at you and eleven-a-side are just quoting Nick. I'm just raising a suspicion.

exiled_gufc_fan
09/12/2005, 6:19 PM
An interview with Nick ...

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/article/081205/the_press_conference_with_nick_leeson