PDA

View Full Version : Graham Kavanagh

Pages : [1] 2

livehead1
28/11/2005, 11:18 AM
since graham kavanagh moved to the premiership i've been keeping a keen eye on him as i think hes one of the most underrated irish players around. on saturday he was up against the tottenham midfield with the likes of edgar davids in it. although wigan lost the game he came out with an 8-10 from sky sports, who tend to be quite harsh rating players, with the note that he had "bossed the game" what are peoples views about his place in the irish side, i think hes a nomination to be the next skipper, he's looked very good all season

Hulsey
28/11/2005, 11:21 AM
Agree 100%. Since I first saw him playing for Cardiff bout 3 years ago thought he was good enough. If only we had have got Kevin Nolan. That would be an amazing centre mid partnership.

as_i_say
28/11/2005, 11:47 AM
agree. spent most of his career in the 3rd tier of english football with stoke. similar thing to trundle i think-a player good enough for top flight but never got the move until now-hopefully we can get trundle as well

eirebhoy
28/11/2005, 11:51 AM
If I was picking the team he'd be a cert for he holding role. There's no competition for the position and I think he's as good as we could ask.

Hither green
28/11/2005, 12:14 PM
agree. spent most of his career in the 3rd tier of english football with stoke. similar thing to trundle i think-a player good enough for top flight but never got the move until now-hopefully we can get trundle as well

I saw him a few times for Stoke and he was almost a one-man team: directing play, taking set pieces etc. Always hoped a team in a higher leagues would go for him and he'd get a chance for Ireland. Better late than never. But yes looks like Trundle's on the same path.

CraftyToePoke
28/11/2005, 2:16 PM
agree totally

i believe circumstance can dictate a career as much as ability and if the english game hadnt overflowed with expensive 'foreign' signings through the 90's he would surely have played most of his career at the top level there.

i actually consider it a travesty of the McCarthy reign that this guy was ignored, through his 20's, despite excelling week in week out just because he was outside the top level, when we saw McCarthy persist with far less talented players purely it seemed because they were on the books of, (though not necessarily regularly playing in), prem sides.

macdermesser
28/11/2005, 2:29 PM
Haven't seen any of Wigan's matches this season, so perhaps not qualified to give an opinion, but I think foot.ie's opinion of Kavanagh is way overrated. So many times I've read what a good player he is .. and I don't see it. The comparision with Trundle doesn't hold .. Kavanagh played for Robson at Boro a long time ago, and if he was that good he would have been picked by someone else. He was awful against Cyprus ... although perhaps it was nerves or trying too hard .. or I don't know. Seems like a good bloke though, and if he is playing as well as reports say, then perhaps he is the secret ingredient in Wigans sucess this season. Just don't think he has ever done for ireland.

livehead1
28/11/2005, 4:44 PM
Haven't seen any of Wigan's matches this season, so perhaps not qualified to give an opinion, but I think foot.ie's opinion of Kavanagh is way overrated. So many times I've read what a good player he is .. and I don't see it. The comparision with Trundle doesn't hold .. Kavanagh played for Robson at Boro a long time ago, and if he was that good he would have been picked by someone else. He was awful against Cyprus ... although perhaps it was nerves or trying too hard .. or I don't know. Seems like a good bloke though, and if he is playing as well as reports say, then perhaps he is the secret ingredient in Wigans sucess this season. Just don't think he has ever done for ireland.
....correct, that would hinder your ability to give a 'qualified' opinion

The comparision with Trundle doesn't hold .. Kavanagh played for Robson at Boro a long time ago, and if he was that good he would have been picked by someone else.

....a bit like trundle really at 29

macdermesser
28/11/2005, 9:38 PM
....correct, that would hinder your ability to give a 'qualified' opinion ....a bit like trundle really at 29

Yes, I admitted that myself. Still doesn't explain his woeful performance against Cyprus, and he wasn't much better in any of the other qualifiers either. I am entitled to give an opinion on his performances for Ireland .. most of which i have seen. So you can't dismiss my opinions in one sentence.

Kavanagh is 32 (?) .. and was playing in the big time already when he was younger for Boro. So where is the comparison with Trundle who only became a pro later on and taking his career seriously. Trundle and Ian Wright maybe .. but not trundle and Kavanagh

dr_peepee
29/11/2005, 7:55 AM
He only got a handfull of apps for boro in the premiership

macdermesser
29/11/2005, 8:33 AM
He only got a handfull of apps for boro in the premiership

whereas Trundle did not .. so what is the basis of the comparison? They are both in or around 30 who want to play for Ireland .. okay I know I should let this go! :p

Trundle due to his attitude earlier is a late developer .. I'll give you that .. Kavanagh was just never considered good enough in his earlier years to be taken up by the big teams, although according to some here its a mystery why.

Hither green
29/11/2005, 9:55 AM
Kavanagh was just never considered good enough in his earlier years to be taken up by the big teams, although according to some here its a mystery why.

He was at Boro at a time when Robson was buying the likes of Ravanelli and Juninho though. And I guess he didn't get too many games to attract the bigger clubs. How many players with great potential have we lost like that? I'm just pleased when the odd one makes it back to the topflight, like him and Connolly.

livehead1
29/11/2005, 10:00 AM
Yes, I admitted that myself. Still doesn't explain his woeful performance against Cyprus, and he wasn't much better in any of the other qualifiers either. I am entitled to give an opinion on his performances for Ireland .. most of which i have seen. So you can't dismiss my opinions in one sentence.

he has been irelands best player on some occassions and he's playing as well if not better than any other irish central midfielder in the premiership this season, and by that i include steven ireland who has been very good as well. a midfield with kavanagh holding and ireland slightly advanced would, in my opinion, serve us very well. certainly stronger than any other combination that springs to mind.

macdermesser
29/11/2005, 12:04 PM
He was at Boro at a time when Robson was buying the likes of Ravanelli and Juninho though. And I guess he didn't get too many games to attract the bigger clubs. How many players with great potential have we lost like that? I'm just pleased when the odd one makes it back to the topflight, like him and Connolly.

The same Boro that got relegated with all those top class midfielders. :rolleyes:
But I suppose he did not get the chance at boro, but still was in the shop window at Stoke and was never snapped up.

But agree that its good to see him in the top flight.

Hither green
29/11/2005, 3:46 PM
You could argue that he was snapped up by Cardiff. Not exactly a top team but they did spend £1m on him and for a team in that position and at that time it was a hell of a price.

But yes, Boro got relegated :) . Serves them right. I seem to recall there being a few Irish players there at the time that didn’t get a look in. So :D

Anto McC
29/11/2005, 4:23 PM
I think he is now the best midfielder we have

Closed Account 2
29/11/2005, 8:39 PM
^ agree

Only2keanos
30/11/2005, 2:42 PM
I agree with the opinion that circumstances hindered his career. Maybe it was the foreigners that caused him to be overlooked at boro, or maybe he just wasnt that great there. Maybe he only found his best position and style as he got older, I dont know. One thing I do know from keeping an eye on his career after McCarthy stopped picking him was that he was a big fans favourite at Stoke. He was pretty much player of the year every year but once they dropped from the old first to the second division, he was deemed not good enough for international football. I always found it amazing that a first division team didnt snap him up when he was doing so well in the 2nd division. I think he helped them to the play offs a few times at Stoke but they never got promoted while he was there. Cardiff finally took him and he was class for them. Fans player of the year there too I believe, and only sold because of financial problems. Last season Wigan bought him in March and they went from a playoff team to an automatic promotion team. I think he has done very well in the premiership this season. He missed the 2 games in which Wigan didnt score or get any points and then he came back for the 3rd game and they have been class ever since.

Qwerty
30/11/2005, 2:57 PM
I've always felt he had the ability, if you consistently stand out in Div1 and Div 2 you should be able to hack it at the top level and he is doing so. However his performances for Ireland have disappointed me, for a player with such experience and a team captain pretty much wherever he plays he played like a rookie.

Stuttgart88
30/11/2005, 3:00 PM
I think Kavanagh is a very good midfielder, similar in ability to Thomas Gravesen, though maybe not as energetic. Agree with Crafty - it's unbelievable how McCarthy ignored him. And yes, a definite candidate for skipper too - very good call.

I remember watching the Danes tear a weakened England apart in the second half of a friendly at Old Trafford about 2 or 3 seasons ago, with Gravesen pulling all the strings. I thought at the time (it was pre-Keane's return) that Kavanagh could do exactly the same job for us.

In my view Glenn Whelan is the heir apparent to Kavanagh but Kavanagh should have his position in the team almost uncontested in the next 12 months.

I really think a good manager could make a pretty useful midfield from Kav, Duff, S. Reid., A. Reid, Ireland and others. It's time we stopped thinking that Kilbane has anything to offer at a high level in central mid.

livehead1
30/11/2005, 3:34 PM
And yes, a definite candidate for skipper too - very good call.

well thank you

eirebhoy
30/11/2005, 3:39 PM
However his last performance for Ireland disappointed me
I've fixed your post. ;)

Only2keanos
30/11/2005, 4:45 PM
yes, a definite candidate for skipper too - very good call

Good player but I think we should look at someone a bit younger to give the captaincy too. We got a bit burned with Kenny Cunningham. When he was given the captaincy he was our best centre half and a guaranteed starter but by the end of the last campaign, I think Dunne and O'Brien should have been in the team. The manager will always be reluctant to drop the skipper. I think our next captain has to be someone virtually guaranteed a place in the team at least until the end of the next campaign - Given, Duff, Finnan and maybe Keane are the only candidates there. Personally I would give it to Shay. At times in the last year or 2 he has been our only player.

Hither green
30/11/2005, 6:30 PM
Isn't Dunne captain at Man City? With not many central defenders to choose from he's a pretty sure starter for us.

tetsujin1979
30/11/2005, 11:04 PM
Isn't Dunne captain at Man City? With not many central defenders to choose from he's a pretty sure starter for us.
Dunne is vice captain, he did captain the side at the start of the season when Distin was still out injured

onenilgameover
30/11/2005, 11:44 PM
Nobody deserves the Captaincy more than Given. Kav has been doing well for Wigan but not for Ireland...he needs to be given a chance maybe but not as skipper

Qwerty
01/12/2005, 12:25 AM
I've fixed your post. ;)

Thank you, that is what I had meant to say - I am actually quite a fan of Kavanagh. However I do feel peole are blowing him up a little too much - but I think he will be important for us over the next 18 months.

Hither green
01/12/2005, 8:48 AM
Nobody deserves the Captaincy more than Given. Kav has been doing well for Wigan but not for Ireland...he needs to be given a chance maybe but not as skipper

Nah you can't give the Captaincy to a keeper.

eirebhoy
01/12/2005, 9:07 AM
Nah you can't give the Captaincy to a keeper.
Schmeichel, Sepp Maier, Zoff, Kahn, Yashin... :)

Hither green
01/12/2005, 9:30 AM
Still not convinced. Prefer the captain to be in midfield or defence. Besides I don't think he's quite as vocal as Kahn or Schmeichel.

Stuttgart88
01/12/2005, 9:35 AM
Personally I think captain is more of a ceremonial task. But I do prefer captains to be outfield. I think it helps when querying refereeing decisions etc. Referees usually give a bit more slack to the guy with the armband than anyone else. Also, for receiving instructions from the bench it's better to have an outfield player.

I think Given's influence / presence is significant enough as it is without also making him captain.

geysir
01/12/2005, 10:37 AM
Kavanagh has yet to make his mark in the team and surely talk of him being captain is premature. His first priority is to nail his name onto the teamsheet. I agree with One Nil, Shay Given deserves the captaincy. He has been the most consistant outstanding component of the team for years, the player of the year. Kavanagh should make the team then it follows his role to organise things out field.

NeilMcD
02/12/2005, 10:49 AM
Kavanagh walks with Liverpool but runs out for Wigan

Stuart James
Friday December 2, 2005

Guardian
When Graham Kavanagh, a lifelong Liverpool fan, runs out at Anfield for Wigan tomorrow he could be forgiven for smiling wryly when the first rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone reverberates around the stadium. It is an anthem which evokes memories of a special night in Dublin seven months ago when the Republic of Ireland midfielder and his international team-mates put aside their club allegiances to unite behind Rafael Benítez's side.

"We were preparing for a [testimonial] game against Celtic," said Kavanagh, recalling the evening of Liverpool's European Cup triumph over Milan, "and the manager gave us time off so we went to a bar to watch it. The place erupted at the end; we all just went ballistic. Everyone was singing You'll Never Walk Alone. I was thinking to myself, I'm sitting here with players who all play for different clubs and we're all buzzing that Liverpool have won."

Kavanagh could have joined Liverpool at the age of 16 but signed for Middlesbrough instead, though his affinity with the Merseyside club remains, largely because of his roots in Ireland. His family are all Liverpool fans and 13 of them will travel over from Dublin tomorrow for a game which he hopes will see Wigan return to winning ways in the Premiership after defeats against Arsenal and Spurs.

Since missing the first two games of the season with injury Kavanagh has featured in all Wigan's league matches, playing a key part in the club's ascent to fifth place in the Premiership. On Wednesday night, though, he took a back seat as a Wigan side consisting mainly of reserves defeated Newcastle to reach the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup. "Rather than knock on the manager's door they showed with their performance what they can do," he said.

Kavanagh, who turns 32 today, has himself had to bide his time to prove his ability. After briefly experiencing Premiership football with Middlesbrough nine years ago he dropped into the Football League with Stoke before joining Cardiff in 2001. Fears that his opportunity of returning to the top flight had passed were allayed in March when he signed for a Wigan side on the cusp of promotion.

"We didn't get paid on the Monday at Cardiff and on the Wednesday I was told I had been sold," said Kavanagh. "They sent a helicopter down and I flew in on the Friday and signed. They actually said: 'Can we land the helicopter in your back garden?' I said: 'Are you taking the ****?' In the end I went to a heliport and it landed just round the corner from the club. That was incredible. I was thinking, this is complete Footballers' Wives. Ten weeks later we were promoted and I was lying on the beach thinking, did that really happen or was it a dream?"

Wigan have been dreaming ever since. Their startling form has confounded the critics who predicted an immediate return to the Championship. Even in defeat Kavanagh finds positives. "We've lost the last two [Premiership] games but confidence hasn't been affected because of the performances we've put in."

Belief is also a product of Paul Jewell's approach to management. "There are no grey areas in terms of what's wanted," said Kavanagh. "We all respect him massively and that doesn't come by just barking out orders. That comes from the way he treats people and the way he is in and around the dressing room. You can have a laugh with him, you can slag him and he can slag you, but when we are coming down to the serious business you certainly don't try to answer him back."

Anfield will certainly qualify as serious business for Kavanagh. It is a ground where he last appeared as a teenager for Middlesbrough's youth team. Almost 15 years later he returns as a player eager to make the most of his second chance in the Premiership. "It's come full circle," he said. "From my point of view it's been a fairy-tale end to my career."

onenilgameover
03/12/2005, 12:28 AM
Was on sky spors there yesterday talkin bout being a liverpool fan since he was a chisler....spoke well too..

Kavanagh walks with Liverpool but runs out for Wigan

Stuart James
Friday December 2, 2005

Guardian
When Graham Kavanagh, a lifelong Liverpool fan, runs out at Anfield for Wigan tomorrow he could be forgiven for smiling wryly when the first rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone reverberates around the stadium. It is an anthem which evokes memories of a special night in Dublin seven months ago when the Republic of Ireland midfielder and his international team-mates put aside their club allegiances to unite behind Rafael Benítez's side.

"We were preparing for a [testimonial] game against Celtic," said Kavanagh, recalling the evening of Liverpool's European Cup triumph over Milan, "and the manager gave us time off so we went to a bar to watch it. The place erupted at the end; we all just went ballistic. Everyone was singing You'll Never Walk Alone. I was thinking to myself, I'm sitting here with players who all play for different clubs and we're all buzzing that Liverpool have won."

Kavanagh could have joined Liverpool at the age of 16 but signed for Middlesbrough instead, though his affinity with the Merseyside club remains, largely because of his roots in Ireland. His family are all Liverpool fans and 13 of them will travel over from Dublin tomorrow for a game which he hopes will see Wigan return to winning ways in the Premiership after defeats against Arsenal and Spurs.

Since missing the first two games of the season with injury Kavanagh has featured in all Wigan's league matches, playing a key part in the club's ascent to fifth place in the Premiership. On Wednesday night, though, he took a back seat as a Wigan side consisting mainly of reserves defeated Newcastle to reach the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup. "Rather than knock on the manager's door they showed with their performance what they can do," he said.

Kavanagh, who turns 32 today, has himself had to bide his time to prove his ability. After briefly experiencing Premiership football with Middlesbrough nine years ago he dropped into the Football League with Stoke before joining Cardiff in 2001. Fears that his opportunity of returning to the top flight had passed were allayed in March when he signed for a Wigan side on the cusp of promotion.

"We didn't get paid on the Monday at Cardiff and on the Wednesday I was told I had been sold," said Kavanagh. "They sent a helicopter down and I flew in on the Friday and signed. They actually said: 'Can we land the helicopter in your back garden?' I said: 'Are you taking the ****?' In the end I went to a heliport and it landed just round the corner from the club. That was incredible. I was thinking, this is complete Footballers' Wives. Ten weeks later we were promoted and I was lying on the beach thinking, did that really happen or was it a dream?"

Wigan have been dreaming ever since. Their startling form has confounded the critics who predicted an immediate return to the Championship. Even in defeat Kavanagh finds positives. "We've lost the last two [Premiership] games but confidence hasn't been affected because of the performances we've put in."

Belief is also a product of Paul Jewell's approach to management. "There are no grey areas in terms of what's wanted," said Kavanagh. "We all respect him massively and that doesn't come by just barking out orders. That comes from the way he treats people and the way he is in and around the dressing room. You can have a laugh with him, you can slag him and he can slag you, but when we are coming down to the serious business you certainly don't try to answer him back."

Anfield will certainly qualify as serious business for Kavanagh. It is a ground where he last appeared as a teenager for Middlesbrough's youth team. Almost 15 years later he returns as a player eager to make the most of his second chance in the Premiership. "It's come full circle," he said. "From my point of view it's been a fairy-tale end to my career."

livehead1
03/12/2005, 9:32 AM
Was on sky spors there yesterday talkin bout being a liverpool fan since he was a chisler....spoke well too..

yeh i have heard him speak and he seems quite the gentlemen, dresses like one also, you ever seen him walkin in with his bootback to the changin rooms, you'd think he was off to sign a new contract

Roverstillidie
03/12/2005, 8:58 PM
this

since graham kavanagh moved to the premiership i've been keeping a keen eye on him

and this

Maybe it was the foreigners that caused him to be overlooked at boro

sum up why i hate the barstool ole ole brigade with a passion.

Stuttgart88
04/12/2005, 12:46 PM
I'm actually going to quit my job & ditch all my family responsibilities so I can spend all my time wandering around crap football grounds all over Britain keeping an eye on Irish players. I'm going to get rid of my telly too. That way nobody can ever accuse me of being a barstooler. Heaven forbid I'd ever watch an Irish player playing in the Premiership on TV. That'd be just tooo middle class.

livehead1
04/12/2005, 1:00 PM
this

and this

sum up why i hate the barstool ole ole brigade with a passion.

o dear o dear, get yourself some paracetemol for your period. why would anyone want to watch the second level of a league and watch a player such as kavanagh at gresty road against crewe. wat does that tell anyone about his ability. absolutely nothing, it tells more when you can see him , and other players, playing at the highest level in the country they are playing in. so before you label people the "barstool ole ole brigade" and commenting how you "hate" them, work out, all for yourself, exactly what peoples comments mean, for want of a better phrase, you are an absolute eejit

Roverstillidie
04/12/2005, 2:38 PM
read the actual phrases i pointed out.

only since he moved to the prem has one genius started taking an interest and the other guy cant even see that GK was one of the foreigners at boro.

they were both banal, idiotic comments and they were fair game. i stick to my plastic fans opinion. those 2 posters sum up everything that is wrong with football in Ireland.

brine3
04/12/2005, 2:48 PM
Kavanagh is not a holding midfielder (even though he looks like one), he's an attacking midfielder.

livehead1
04/12/2005, 3:16 PM
read the actual phrases i pointed out.

only since he moved to the prem has one genius started taking an interest and the other guy cant even see that GK was one of the foreigners at boro.

they were both banal, idiotic comments and they were fair game. i stick to my plastic fans opinion. those 2 posters sum up everything that is wrong with football in Ireland.

there is no quality to the game in ireland. i wouldn't take interest of him either if he was playing in the EL, the reason why...because he clearly would not be good enough, much the same that i wouldn't take much notice of willie boland, at 30 odd years of age playing at cardiff, sitting on the bench. there not idiotic comments, there opinions

klein4
04/12/2005, 4:06 PM
there is no quality to the game in ireland.

roy keane,liam o brien,curtis fleming, paul magrath and flavour of the month robbie doyle came from Irish clubs to name some "quality" off the top of my head...

Irish_Praha
04/12/2005, 5:36 PM
roy keane,liam o brien,curtis fleming, paul magrath and flavour of the month robbie doyle came from Irish clubs to name some "quality" off the top of my head...

Kevin Doyle

klein4
04/12/2005, 5:54 PM
he will always be robbie to me.

livehead1
04/12/2005, 6:40 PM

is that some kind of joke? the league has been in existance for decades and has only produced about 40 at the very most, decent players who are capable at playing at a decent level. my local saturday side produced 3 are playing professional football. there is no quality

Roverstillidie
04/12/2005, 7:15 PM
is that some kind of joke? the league has been in existance for decades and has only produced about 40 at the very most, decent players who are capable at playing at a decent level. my local saturday side produced 3 are playing professional football. there is no quality

thats the way to prove you arent a bar stool ole ole plastic muppet. :rolleyes: **** off back to your playstation and leave the chat for those with a clue.

FYI Rovers have supplied 61 full senior internationalists for the Irish team, more than any other club. in the 50's the LOI was stronger than your beloved English game for a time.

edit: it says on your profile you are a 'semi-pro footballer'. reckon you would last in the EL?

gustavo
04/12/2005, 7:16 PM
Thats very nice for you livehead1 its a pity you dont have a clue about Irish football as you clearly equate proffessional football with English football . there are plenty of fine pro's in Ireland and i for one am glad the likes of you are in England and not here , In fact i suggest you support them at the next World Cup.

livehead1
04/12/2005, 7:22 PM
Thats very nice for you livehead1 its a pity you dont have a clue about Irish football as you clearly equate proffessional football with English football . there are plenty of fine pro's in Ireland and i for one am glad the likes of you are in England and not here , In fact i suggest you support them at the next World Cup.
suggest what you want, have you ever even been outside the wonderful surroundings of ballymote, tubbercurry, gurteen and the like. you may find that there are very few 'fine pros' in ireland compared to most other footballing nations in europe. and they can never be judged as adequate for international football whilst they are playing in such a league as the EL, and never being good enough to qualify for european competitions.

gustavo
04/12/2005, 7:27 PM
well maybe i am reading this wrong but you strike me as being very hypocritical coming on here with your professed interest in Irish football , you seem to have some Sligo roots but have never shown any interest in us on that God forbid that you would actually ever have to live here you are happy in your comfort zone over there where you can critizise a league you know very little about

Roverstillidie
04/12/2005, 7:33 PM
and never being good enough to qualify for european competitions.

what does that even mean? Irish clubs dont qualify for Europe? You are on a loser here, get your head out of your arse.

The EL may not be an English Premiership in terms of quality, standards have reimproved over the past 5 years. Clubs are going full time, there are a rake of international players from other nations and the European runs are drastically imroved. Hence the annoyance at players getting into Irish squads within weeks of moving overseas from the EL. Kevin Doyle was good enough for the Irish squad in Cork, Reading didnt turn him into a great player overnight.

The rot only began in the 70's when English games were shown live and the clubs didnt react by moving their games to accomodate. Up until then the league was for a while considered superior to the English game you love so much. Again, 61 internaionals, more than Manuere and Muderpool combined.

What the EL doesnt need is some smart arsed brit doing it down.