PDA

View Full Version : How lucky are some?

JoeSemi
27/11/2005, 10:36 PM
We all display our admiration for the world's greatest footballers openly and its something that's spoken of morning, noon and night. There is another topic of conversation that crops up now again from beneath the surface, and in the week the late George Best died it may be quite fitting to discuss it.

Some men talk about it slyly, others talk comfortably about it. Its the title of the 'World's Best Looking Footballer'?!

Foot.ie is a medium for breaking new topical grounds and this could be one of the most keenly debated of them all!!

TheJamaicanP.M.
27/11/2005, 10:58 PM
Great thread Joe, one that I wish I had been brave enough to start up. My favourite player in the looks department is a big hero of your's too: the talented Jamie Redknapp. How about the following as an all-time Premiership XI:

1. Carlo Cudicini

2. Paulo Ferreira 4. Rob Jones 5. Michael Dawson 3. Gabriel Heinze

7. Robert Pires 6. Jamie Redknapp (capt.) 8. Frank Lampard 11. Lee Sharpe

9. Fernando Morientes 10. Eidur Gudjohnsen

Manager: Jose Mourinho
Impact Sub: Cesc Fabregas

I think its fair to say we're missing a few quality defenders. Anyone else got any ideas?

sligoman
27/11/2005, 11:10 PM
Jaysus, what's with all the gays here like?:confused::D:p.

TheJamaicanP.M.
27/11/2005, 11:12 PM
Jaysus, what's with all the gays here like?:confused:

Credit where credit is due sligoman.:D :D

Lionel Ritchie
28/11/2005, 12:21 PM
What about Luke Chadwick? Peter Beardsley? Steve Bruce? Iain Dowie? Chris White? Rob Earnshaw? Robbie Fowler? Andy Gorham? Neville Southall?

sligoman
28/11/2005, 2:54 PM
What about Luke Chadwick? Peter Beardsley? Steve Bruce? Iain Dowie? Chris White? Rob Earnshaw? Robbie Fowler? Andy Gorham? Neville Southall?add Phil Neville to that list too;) :D.

Dillo
28/11/2005, 6:41 PM
Very interesting thread JoeSemi. As football fans we all idolise the likes of Maldini, Nesta, Morientes, Figo and Beckham... well I do anyway! They have it all- lifestyle, looks, birds and fame. Valdes, Cantona, Litmanen, Laudrup, Gio, Inzaghi, Raul, Gomes, Cryuff, Yakin, Ballack... the list goes on! Funnily enough, the Jamaican PM chose almost the exact same XI as me so i've had to reshuffle things. To rival that of the PM's, I've come up with somewhat of a second string team if you like.

1. Bosnich

2. Taylor 4. Hreidarsson 5. Asanovich 3. Valente

7. Ginola 6. Zagorakis 8. Alexanderson 11. Blomqvist

9. Pedersen 10. Mutu

Manager: Chris Coleman

Impact subs: Enrique De Lucas

P.S I am aware that some of my back four are playing slightly out of position but the likes of Maldini and Nesta have never graced British shores apart from a couple of occasions with their own clubs.

JoeSemi
28/11/2005, 9:56 PM
1. Bosnich

2. Taylor 4. Hreidarsson 5. Asanovich 3. Valente

7. Ginola 6. Zagorakis 8. Alexanderson 11. Blomqvist

9. Pedersen 10. Mutu

Manager: Chris Coleman

Impact subs: Enrique De Lucas

I presume the Taylor your talking about Dillo is the ex-Villa pin up Ian Taylor. He'd be in my team too if you hadn't picked him!:p I'd have to keenly argue some choices in that back four as there are others that have a bit more going for them in both the football and looks departments. I'm not restricting myself to British shores as there is far more talent on the continent imo.

1. Casillas

2.McAteer 4.P. Cannavaro 5.S. Hyypia 3.Del Horno

7.L. Garcia 6. Speed(capt) 8. V der Vaart 11. Vicente

9. Crespo 10.Raul

Manager: Marco Van Basten

Impact Substitute: G. Zambrotta

There is no room for playboys in my team and I reckon that team is set up perfectly to win trophies.

TheJamaicanP.M.
28/11/2005, 10:03 PM
I presume the Taylor your talking about Dillo is the ex-Villa pin up Ian Taylor. He'd be in my team too if you hadn't picked him!:p I'd have to keenly argue some choices in that back four as there are others that have a bit more going for them in both the football and looks departments. I'm not restricting myself to British shores as there is far more talent on the continent imo.

1. Casillas

2.McAteer 4.P. Cannavaro 5.S. Hyypia 3.Del Horno

7.L. Garcia 6. Speed(capt) 8. V der Vaart 11. Vicente

9. Crespo 10.Raul

Manager: Marco Van Basten

Impact Substitute: G. Zambrotta

There is no room for playboys in my team and I reckon that team is set up perfectly to win trophies.

Some interesting choices there Joe. I'd be tempted to include Maldini at left-back. As for Hyypia, are you havin a laugh? You clearly have different taste to Dillo and I. I'd include Nesta alongside his Italian comrades in the back four. One player that hasn't been mentioned is Freddi Ljungberg. I'm also a big fan of the Portuguese - Figo, Rui Costa and Nuno Gomez. My holding player in midfield would be the former Portuguese captain, Paulo Sousa. Also, how about Piere Luigi Casiraghi instead of Crespo.

JoeSemi
28/11/2005, 10:17 PM
Some interesting choices there Joe. I'd be tempted to include Maldini at left-back. As for Hyypia, are you havin a laugh? You clearly have different taste to Dillo and I. I'd include Nesta alongside his Italian comrades in the back four. One player that hasn't been mentioned is Freddi Ljungberg. I'm also a big fan of the Portuguese - Figo, Rui Costa and Nuno Gomez. My holding player in midfield would be the former Portuguese captain, Paulo Sousa. Also, how about Piere Luigi Casiraghi instead of Crespo.

I'm a fan of the other part of the Iberian peninsula PM and don't want the Portuguese blend in my team. I do agree with Luis Figo alright but I think he's past his best. I think its there for all to see about Nesta's talent but its not so obvious with Hyypia, hence my inclusion. Freddie Ljungberg was a shocking exclusion on all our parts. This man graces Calvin Klein billboards on Times Square and would be in with a shout for any 'Mr. Premiership' awards.

TheJamaicanP.M.
28/11/2005, 10:39 PM
I'm a fan of the other part of the Iberian peninsula PM and don't want the Portuguese blend in my team. I do agree with Luis Figo alright but I think he's past his best. I think its there for all to see about Nesta's talent but its not so obvious with Hyypia, hence my inclusion. Freddie Ljungberg was a shocking exclusion on all our parts. This man graces Calvin Klein billboards on Times Square and would be in with a shout for any 'Mr. Premiership' awards.

Interesting point you make about your preference for the Spaniards. They've always set high standards, even going back to the days of Michels, Nadal and Julio Salinas. We've also forgotten some Scottish-based players such as Stilian Petrov and Peter Lovenkrants.

gustavo
29/11/2005, 1:07 AM
what about that Brad Pitt lookalike Zvonomir Boban ?
http://www.geocities.jp/seiko62happy/mylogo296.jpg

eirebhoy
29/11/2005, 8:53 AM
Half the Italian team would be in there. :)

OwlsFan
29/11/2005, 9:14 AM
Tony Cascarino without his front teeth in :D

Dillo
29/11/2005, 11:16 AM
Some fascinating inclusions there JoeSemi. Casillas' inclusion was fully merited as was Vicente's and Del Horno's. Like the PM though, I have my doubts as to whether Sami Hypia is up to it at this level - i'd have as much faith in Sami Ristilla:p ! The PM makes an interesting point in highlighting some scottish based players like Petrov and Lovenkrands. While it is unquestionable that those players possess talent in abundance, it must also be pointed out that there is a lack of competition in the highlands, thus, making such players stick out like sore thumbs.

Other players, dark horses if you like, that come to mind include Matt Jansen, Gareth Barry, Xavi Alonso, Tim Sherwood, even Stuart Ripley in his hay day had certain features and attributes that could challenge the best of them:p !

I think its fair to say that all of our teams have the capacity to do as much damage off the field as on it. Probably a lot more off the field though!

While we're on the subject, I think it's only right that we consider our very own Eircom League. So here goes... !

1. D. O' Connor

2. D. O' Connor 4. J. Harris 5. P. McNally 3. Sean Dillon

7. F. Harkin 6. K. Hunt 8. J. Martin 11. K. Brennan

9. Robbie Doyle 10. Robbie Martin

Manager: Pat Dolan ;)

Impact subs: Glen Fitzpatrick, Wesley Hoolahan

P.S I know Dessie Baker won't be one bit pleased with his exclusion!

Don Vito
29/11/2005, 4:10 PM
None of the players mentioned above are fit to lace the boots of Enrique De Lucas.

It's a dead end topic I think anyway Joe, goodlooks are not all they are cracked up to be, believe me, I think would have been far happier if I had been born with great footballing talent rather than the pretty face I got.

JoeSemi
01/12/2005, 3:10 PM
None of the players mentioned above are fit to lace the boots of Enrique De Lucas.

It's a dead end topic I think anyway Joe, goodlooks are not all they are cracked up to be, believe me, I think would have been far happier if I had been born with great footballing talent rather than the pretty face I got.

Don't be so modest Don. Has anybody ever questioned your football ability? IMO your not far off fitting into the category of someone whose got it all:p

Don Vito
09/12/2005, 2:09 PM
Think we are all agreed Jose Mourinho is the man to lead this team but I've spotted some complacency creeping into his style. Picked up that rag HeraldAM when I was comin in to work on the Jerry-Lee this morning and on page 8 there is a picture of Jose with his Madam Tussads waxwork, don't know if anyone else noticed, but I was shocked to see Jose sporting a bit of a Gary Kelly. Wonder is the the first sign of slippage at the Bridge?

JoeSemi
12/12/2005, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Dillo]The PM makes an interesting point in highlighting some scottish based players like Petrov and Lovenkrands[QUOTE]

While there was never a doubt about Lovenkrands off the pitch he had some questions to answer on it. He came up trumps twice for Rangers this week and chose to remind us all of his name after netting the equaliser against Inter. I'm not sure was this a thinly veiled attempt at getting big modelling agencies to take his name for future reference. He definitely has the potential to rival Ljungberg as Scandinavia's top Calvin Klein male model. Inter were keen on signing him a few seasons ago and I have a feeling the interest could be rekindled when they realise what he could do for the image of the club on Milan's catwalks.