PDA

View Full Version : Derry clean up

Bigballs
27/11/2005, 8:37 PM
Mark Farren got the main award tonight. Paddy McCourt the young player and Kieran O'Reilly the 1st div.
City win the league, so well in europe and are in the cup final and Derry get two awards? Waht a joke

Maz
27/11/2005, 8:39 PM
Mark Farren got the main award tonight. Paddy McCourt the young player and Kieran O'Reilly the 1st div.
City win the league, so well in europe and are in the cup final and Derry get two awards? Waht a joke
This is for definate then yeah?

Bigballs
27/11/2005, 8:42 PM
yeah definate

pete
27/11/2005, 9:13 PM
Sympathy vote for Derry no doubt.

Can't see how Farren could get in ahead of O'Callaghan or Gamble who were proven in all competitions this season especially in Europe.

:rolleyes:

A face
27/11/2005, 9:22 PM

Can't see how Farren could get in ahead of O'Callaghan or Gamble who were proven in all competitions this season especially in Europe.

But lads, am i right in saying that it is the players that vote and the majority wins !?!!

Fair play to Farren, but it isn't really an award for ability, its more of a popularity competition. I'd rather a league medal over that any day.

Anyway ... fair play to Farren and McCourt, they were big names all year and made the season an exciting one. Farren bangin' them in and McCourt, just look at his goals in eL Weekly. The guy is a legend !!

dancinpants
27/11/2005, 9:45 PM
Ye Cork lads really need to get over yourselves. The attitude is gettin' a wee bit tiresome... :rolleyes:

razor
27/11/2005, 9:52 PM
Ye Cork lads really need to get over yourselves. The attitude is gettin' a wee bit tiresome... :rolleyes:No arguments about McCourt, class act but Farren wasn't even the leagues top scorer, very strange decision.
Well, no one likes us, we don't care.;)

A face
27/11/2005, 9:53 PM
Ye Cork lads really need to get over yourselves. The attitude is gettin' a wee bit tiresome... :rolleyes:

What do you mean ... where is the attitude ?? dancinpants, in all fairness, the lads were shortlisted ... are you not allowed debate the outcome now .... this "Cork attitude" card cant be played all the time .... i accept sometimes its warranted but not everytime .... give over willya !!

A face
27/11/2005, 9:56 PM

That is the size of it ..... its basically the Eurovision of the eircom League, the best act mightn't always win !! .... I am not saying that a City player should have won but the fact it was Farren tells alot .... imo he wasn't the best player this year, but hey ... that was the outcome, fair play to the fella !!

dancinpants
27/11/2005, 9:58 PM
No arguments about McCourt, class act but Farren wasn't even the leagues top scorer, very strange decision.

And the fact that it was his first full season in the premier division doesn't say anything? (broke through, in the play-offs 2 years ago, spent most of last season on the treatment table) To be 3 goals shy of Jason Byrne say's alot for the lad!!

A face
27/11/2005, 10:01 PM
And the fact that it was his first full season in the premier division doesn't say anything? (broke through, in the play-offs 2 years ago, spent most of last season on the treatment table) To be 3 goals shy of Jason Byrne say's alot for the lad!!

He is five shy according to soccerbot (http://www.soccerbot.com/fai/tables/irprem2005.htm)

I heard that alright, he was told at one stage he wouldn't play again (or words to that effect) ... is that right ??

Fair play to the guy though !!

dancinpants
27/11/2005, 10:04 PM
What do you mean ... where is the attitude ?? dancinpants, in all fairness, the lads were shortlisted ... are you not allowed debate the outcome now .... this "Cork attitude" card cant be played all the time .... i accept sometimes its warranted but not everytime .... give over willya !!

A face I won't give over!!!. You lads comin' out with "sympathy vote", "popularity contest", and STILL spoutin' "we were great in Europe"...THATS the attitude I'm talkin' about. Also youse act like youse won the league by 20 points FFS!!!

dancinpants
27/11/2005, 10:08 PM
He is five shy according to soccerbot (http://www.soccerbot.com/fai/tables/irprem2005.htm)

I heard that alright, he was told at one stage he wouldn't play again (or words to that effect) ... is that right ??

Fair play to the guy though !!

Sorry, yer right to an extent - he was 4 short, but not 5. Soccerbot are the only website insistent that one of his goals against StPats was an o.g. He officially has 18 league goals - I thought Byrne had 21 :o )

There was doubt over his playing career when he was younger.

razor
27/11/2005, 10:09 PM
Thats a lovely story, he'll be on Dreams come true next week.
Gamble was the best player in the Eircom Premier Leaue this season just gone, I think it was a terrible decision.

dancinpants
27/11/2005, 10:13 PM
Thats a lovely story, he'll be on Dreams come true next week.
Gamble was the best player in the Eircom Premier Leaue this season just gone, I think it was a terrible decision.

Of course you do.

A face
27/11/2005, 10:17 PM
"sympathy vote", "popularity contest"

Sympathy vote, you are right but man ... you are saying it yourself in your own post "spent most of last season on the treatment table" ... but i take what you are saying.

Popularity contest .... ahh .... thats exactly what it is !! There is no other metric involved, it is based on votes from their peers. If and only IF all players decide on ability etc. then it wouldn't be popularity .... but it doesn't happen like that.

brandy86
27/11/2005, 10:18 PM
Some terrible comments from Cork supporters on this thread, how about accepting the fact that its not possible to win every award going and give credit to the lads that did win.

PETE: Sympathy vote for Derry no doubt.
Sour grapes anyone :)

A face
27/11/2005, 10:20 PM
Some terrible comments from Cork supporters on this thread, how about accepting the fact that its not possible to win every award going and give credit to the lads that did win.

I did give credit ...... feicing hell, at least admit that like. Its good for the lad, i dont disagree at all.

But we'll never know ... unless the players that voted admit it.

MariborKev
27/11/2005, 10:22 PM

Whilst it may have escaped that world reknown Cork intellect, this is the PFAI award as voted for by the players.

The votes are also made prior to end of the season.

Where am I going with this you might ask?

Well the logical conclusion is that the Cork fans are again talking a loads of balls.

Back to corkcityfc.ie and cry into your "Peoples Republic of Cork" t-shirts lads

A face
27/11/2005, 10:25 PM
Whilst it may have escaped that world reknown Cork intellect, this is the PFAI award as voted for by the players.

The votes are also made prior to end of the season.

Where am I going with this you might ask?

Well the logical conclusion is that the Cork fans are again talking a loads of balls.

Back to corkcityfc.ie and cry into your "Peoples Republic of Cork" t-shirts lads

What say what now ???

What point are you making ??

MariborKev
27/11/2005, 10:29 PM
As expected the point was lost on "The Georgie and Gamble Guys"

Lads,

If you are going to moan about who won the award restrict it to the Cork forum, this one is about the Derry City players who won it.

RedX
27/11/2005, 10:32 PM
Lads,

If you are going to moan about who won the award restrict it to the Cork forum, this one is about the Derry City players who won it.

Is this not the Cork City forum??....:eek:

Your jealousy from losing the league will obviously take a while to get over...;)

A face
27/11/2005, 10:37 PM

Ah hello ...... where are you ??

Look up at the top of the page !!

dancinpants
27/11/2005, 10:38 PM
RedX I think I was too harsh on you in the Derry forum, you seem to be genuinely indifferent to who won the PFAI award - and fair play to you for that. Others though seem to have had there feelings hurt...poor little mites, there there now :(

MariborKev
27/11/2005, 10:41 PM
Ah hello ...... where are you ??

Look up at the top of the page !!

:o :o :o

Maribor retreats to the cave he recently inhabited

Apologies for the OTT reaction lads, though have to say its is similiar to the wailing and gnashing of teeth going on here

You won the league, you're in the Cup final, give over ffs!

A face
27/11/2005, 10:46 PM
:o :o :o

Maribor retreats to the cave he recently inhabited

Apologies for the OTT reaction lads, though have to say its is similiar to the wailing and gnashing of teeth going on here

You won the league, you're in the Cup final, give over ffs!

Maribor .... i'll tell you fella ... there is no hard feelings with me. I genuinely say that. I was just delighted that we had two in the running.

FFS lads, its great there is even such a big deal made of them this year .... i dont know if you remember but the same awards were on five years ago .... and some of the players didn't even know they were on. I mean if that is a measure of them this year then fĂșcking hell, its has come on a bit !!

Its a short playing career for any player ... anything they pick up along the way is a bonus, fair play i say !!

Soko
28/11/2005, 12:26 AM
I'm sure the lads will prefer their league medals rather than these awards, personally I think Gamble was better but who cares?

patsh
28/11/2005, 7:04 AM
AND he is part-time too!
It's absolutely amazing how those Derry players can manage to make a game at all, heroes every one of them!:D

razor
28/11/2005, 8:25 AM
The way to look at it is that it was voted for by the players.
Therefore it depends on how popular the individual players are amongst other players. More a popularity contest as opposed to who was genuinly the best player in the League last season. I can't imagine George is too popular with other players not sure about Joe.
The soccer writers awards should come our way alright but the cup is more important than any of these.
McCourt was class for Rovers, carried them on his own but didn't figure hugely in Kennys plans after that and spent a lot of the rest of the season on the bench. Scored more goals against Derry than for them.
Farren started off excellent but scored 5 goals in the last 4 months in the League, so these were obviously voted for ages ago.

liamon
28/11/2005, 8:42 AM
George was never going to win it after some of his "falling over" antics this season. Bound to have annoyed a lot of opposition players. As for Gamble, do hard working midfielders ever win these awards when faced against players that bang in buckets of goals?

Fair play to the Derry lads. They had a good season and deserve some credit.

But the CCFC lads deserve the medals!

tiktok
28/11/2005, 8:57 AM
I've no problem with a Derry player winning the award, but from what I've seen of them this season, Killian Brennan, Hutton (who was nominated) and Martyn were all better than Farren this season.

Liamon is spot on though, it's a player's vote, apart from the three games they play aginst teams all that will catch their eye week in week out is the goal scorers, so Farren got it.

McCourt is inconsistent IMO, but hard to argue with his award at the same time.

Dricky
28/11/2005, 9:23 AM
Well all the players must hate Jason Byrne, Farren getting it ahead of him was strange, as for McCourt, what did he really do???
Fair dues to both of them but I just find it strange.

Macy
28/11/2005, 9:31 AM
Lads (and rico given his bleating on the radio this morning), I suspect Cork suffered from several nominee's spliting their vote. Can only really go on United, but it happened loads of times with Numpties like Ginola getting it ahead of Cantona et al as there'd be two or three United players on the shortlist. Just a fact of life when you have overall quality rather than one or two stand out players.

Dricky
28/11/2005, 10:02 AM

Bul.l****ter. Only Pete at that time had upped any Cork Player. There are other players outside Cork and Derry you know.

Dricky
28/11/2005, 10:04 AM
Maybe Mark knew how to rub opposition players up the 'right way' and Georgie and Gamble rubbed them up the wrong way.

Dricky
28/11/2005, 10:07 AM
I've no problem with a Derry player winning the award, but from what I've seen of them this season, Killian Brennan, Hutton (who was nominated) and Martyn were all better than Farren this season.

Liamon is spot on though, it's a player's vote, apart from the three games they play aginst teams all that will catch their eye week in week out is the goal scorers, so Farren got it.

McCourt is inconsistent IMO, but hard to argue with his award at the same time.

Totally Agree that Hutton really would be above farren, he was some leader for you this year. He would of got mine

Colm
28/11/2005, 10:13 AM
The jealousy strikes again! ;)

We are City, We are City,
We are City from the Cross,
No-one likes us, no-one likes us,
We are City from the Cross!

football fan
28/11/2005, 11:17 AM
Cork did win an award.............. Alan Kelly was voted Referee of the Year!!

pete
28/11/2005, 12:13 PM
No sense of humour on the Foyle again ;)

I think Farren faded at the end of the season so only 2 goals in October & November which impacted on my impression of him. He barely got a sniff of the ball in the 2 big City games at the cross. Saying that i rate him better this season than Jason Byrne (couldn't score against top teams) but unless he can repeat next season won't get credit.

Overall all city fans rate Farren (a lot of us feel we wouldn't have won league earlier if had Farren instead of O'Flynn mid-season) but I still believe O'Callaghan & Gamble were better this season mainly because of performances in big games.

Poor Student
28/11/2005, 12:15 PM
How could Tony Mac not win it? It's an anti-Dublin conspiracy I tells ya.:D

Risteard
28/11/2005, 1:01 PM
To be 3 goals shy of Jason Byrne say's alot for the lad!!
Exactly but Jayo wasn't even nominated was he?

tiktok
28/11/2005, 1:15 PM
Exactly but Jayo wasn't even nominated was he?

He was

Risteard
28/11/2005, 1:35 PM
Alright, well his team aren't as good as Derry so i reckon he should've got it.
Like someone said above, votes to City were probably split evenly between Georgie and Mr.Jogambles

tiktok
28/11/2005, 1:39 PM
Alright, well his team aren't as good as Derry so i reckon he should've got it.

Byrne scored one goal in nine games against CCFC, Derry and Drogheda.
Farren was a class apart from him this season despite fading in later games

Risteard
28/11/2005, 2:35 PM
Well they only won one of those matches.
Don't think Farren scored against City either.
Shels would have been fecked without him whereas Derry and City got goals from everywhere and are probably more creative teams. Not as much pressure on the likes of Fenn and Stephen O'Flynn.
Just my thoughts anyway.
Fair play to Farren.
I haven't seen much of him to judge to be honest.

tiktok
28/11/2005, 2:39 PM
Well they only won one of those matches.

Probably because Byrne didn't do his job and score :p :D

Risteard
28/11/2005, 2:50 PM
Just reckon he never gets the recognition he deserves.
And thats from a Shels-hater.