PDA

View Full Version : Transfers Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

NY Hoop
10/01/2006, 11:25 AM
I think its hilarious the way you call Century Homes Park a "kip"! Its one of the best maintained grounds in the el....sure we dont have a massive big stand for thousands of fans, but what we do have is suffcient for our current needs and most importantly....WE OWN IT. Jealousy makes people say strange things from what I can see.

NY I hope when you do come to CHP this season you enjoy the comfortable friendly athmosphere that we have created and realise that despite our short comings on the pitch, we lack for little off it.

Oh come on. It is a kip ffs. And if you are seriously suggesting that any Rovers fan is jealous of CHP you are drinking too much mastitis. IMO you and CHF should not be in the league and you would be better off in the Ulster Senior League.

KOH

The Stars
10/01/2006, 11:32 AM
We have signed Ian Rossiter from Sligo Rovers
Sorry to hear about that,are you OK?

sligoman
10/01/2006, 11:45 AM
We have signed Ian Rossiter from Sligo RoversGood signing. He's a good right back and should definitely do a good job for ye.

Sorry to hear about that,are you OK?:rolleyes:.

Magicme
10/01/2006, 11:56 AM
Oh come on. It is a kip ffs. And if you are seriously suggesting that any Rovers fan is jealous of CHP you are drinking too much mastitis. IMO you and CHF should not be in the league and you would be better off in the Ulster Senior League.

KOH

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it but its not hard to see that you havent been to CHP in a long time if you think it is a kip. Just coz we have a nice rural location and a city boy like you is intimidated by greenery and find fresh air hard on your polluted lungs does not mean you should be nasty about the property we OWN.

IMO you should not be in the league coz you blatently flouted the licensing requirements last year and are obviously run by an incompetent committee.

:p

WeAreRovers
10/01/2006, 12:00 PM
IMO you should not be in the league coz you blatently flouted the licensing requirements last year and are obviously run by an incompetent committee.

Granted NY Hoop can be unbelievably irritating at times but that takes the custard cream. :D

KOH

Magicme
10/01/2006, 12:04 PM
He obviously has a dislike of me and my club so just winding him up a bit.

NY Hoop
10/01/2006, 12:07 PM
Shows what you know. The club has never been in better health off the pitch.

Re CHP I was there the last time we played you in a league game. In fact I've been to all the games when we played you in the premier. And I've also lived in the country so you're missing the point.

The reason you shouldnt be in the league is because despite the fact that you have played in the premier there was no significant increase in attendance. Like CHF you dont bring anything to the league. It would be better if you went non league. Your crowds would increase because there would be no admittance charges and your team would be in a stronger position plus the travel costs would be down.

And WAR coming from you that is a compliment!

KOH

Schumi
10/01/2006, 12:14 PM
its not hard to see that you havent been to CHP in a long time if you think it is a kip.
It looked exactly the same last year as it did the last time you were in the premier: other than the bar there was nothing worth visiting. And before the obvious response, I'm aware that Belfield is a kip too but I know where I'd rather watch a game.

Magicme
10/01/2006, 12:22 PM
Fair enough you were here when we were last in the premier division but unfortunately that was 3 years ago and alot has happened since then. CHP has had a face lift and work is continuing.

The reason you club is in good health now is coz you were bankrupt and had all your debts wiped away..... I think lots of clubs would love a clean slate like that.

Oh I apologise for slagging you for not ever having breathed fresh air, obviously i should have known you have lived in the country and thats why you feel so at home at CHP.

I admit we have a small fanbase. But I dont see how we "dont contribute to the league". Quite a few successful eL players either started with us or cut their teeth with us. We have kindly donated Keith Foy to Sligo Rovers (:D ) and various other clubs have benefited from the training and opportunities that footballers have received at Mons.

Believe me even if there was a free gate, we would not increase our fans by much....we live in GAH land and a county that is notioriously tight (yes worse than Cavan).

Look NY Hoops, I extended a hand of friendship over a former dispute that we have had some millions of messages back and you just keep on picking and picking. I find it hard to resist fighting back but believe me no matter what you throw at me I will have an answer for you and I dont want people to be bored and accuse me of taking up too much space on this forum, so unless you have something of interest to say to me that does not require an essay worth of arguments in respons, i suggest you give your fingers a rest from typing and let them recover in time for gesturing at the next Ref who will dare victimise poor Rovers.

Take care and hope to discuss these matters in person in CHP.

pineapple stu
10/01/2006, 12:25 PM
So...those transfers, eh?

Magicme
10/01/2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah heard we have a few young lads coming in from St Pats....cant confirm anything yet but it looks like we have a squad of bout 16 at the mo...

Will let you have update later today as will b ringing Mr Cooke in bout an hour and will post any news up here.

NY Hoop
10/01/2006, 12:41 PM
Again its not personal. I'm just putting down what I think will benefit the league.

KOH

ColinR
10/01/2006, 1:18 PM
I'm aware that Belfield is a kip too but I know where I'd rather watch a game.

well like a lot of neutrals, i'd would go with CHP over belfield any day

Magicme
10/01/2006, 1:31 PM
Sitting out in the office at CHP at the moment and just before I came in here, I stood in our tastefully and comfortably fitted clubhouse looking out at a well maintained pitch (no sandcastles to be built at the moment!) enclosed in a compact but clean ground and to be honest cant see (even with my blue and white tinted glasses removed) how this place could be called a "Kip". It aint top class but it sure is a nice little eL ground. And yes there are some cows in the fields! :D

Passive
10/01/2006, 1:41 PM
NY, I think you're wrong on this one. Monaghan United is in the heart of GAA country and I have a lot of respect for the people who work very hard to keep the club going. It's a very small fan base, but they've put money into the ground (best bar in the league, for example) and work very hard in terms of fundraising.

I don't think you can compare them to a club like DC, who I agree bring absolutely nothing to the party and, in fact, probably take away from the party.

Magicme
10/01/2006, 1:53 PM
On the Transfer discussion note.....

Just had confimred that we have signed the following:

Darren Sargent (St Pats)

Robbie Smith (St Pats)

Kevin Cronin (Kildare)

and have re-signed Jimmy Fullam.

If anyone has any info on the above players (except Jimmy of course!) let me know. Thanks.

NY Hoop
10/01/2006, 1:55 PM
NY, I think you're wrong on this one. Monaghan United is in the heart of GAA country and I have a lot of respect for the people who work very hard to keep the club going. It's a very small fan base, but they've put money into the ground (best bar in the league, for example) and work very hard in terms of fundraising.

I don't think you can compare them to a club like DC, who I agree bring absolutely nothing to the party and, in fact, probably take away from the party.

Kilkenny are in the heart of GAA country but when they got promoted their crowds increased. If there are clubs in the league who dont get crowd increases when they get promoted what is the point? Again they would be better served in the non league circles maybe with a proviso that they are in the League Cup every year.

I have nothing but respect for anyone who goes to EL games particularly in the first division. Every club works hard on fundraising btw.......

KOH

Passive
10/01/2006, 3:22 PM
Maybe I just feel guilty about turning off their TV. Bet it took Magicme hours to tune the city stations back in again.

Magicme
10/01/2006, 3:27 PM
Maybe I just feel guilty about turning off their TV. Bet it took Magicme hours to tune the city stations back in again.

:D cheeky git!

Magicme
10/01/2006, 3:28 PM
It was very funny coz when the lad did it, one of our lads said that it was coz you were jealous coz u didnt have a Licence!

Blue Man
10/01/2006, 5:05 PM

Darren Sargent (St Pats)

Robbie Smith (St Pats)

Kevin Cronin (Kildare)

If anyone has any info on the above players (except Jimmy of course!) let me know. Thanks

I think i played against Sargent when i was with Kildare.a big strong centre half i think. Kevin Cronin is a left sided defender or midfielder who was over at Leeds for a while before coming home.don't know anything about the other lad though

dancinpants
10/01/2006, 5:31 PM
I've a question. Assuming that pineapple stu's tranfer list is correct (no reason to believe its not), I noticed that Cork, Bray, Longford, and Waterford haven't made any signings. Have any of these clubs got transfer targets in mind? Whatever about Cork but I'm fairly sure that the other 3 need some serious strengthening of their squads.

Mr A
10/01/2006, 5:36 PM
From Aertel today-

MATHEWS SIGNS DEFENSIVE DUO
Longford Town boss Alan Mathews has
bolstered his rearguard with two new
signings.

Defender Alan Murphy is returning to
the midlands club after a spell with
Newry City.

Shelbourne defender Kevin Doherty is
also on his way to Flancare Park as
Town prepare for the new season.

'Alan Murphy and Kevin Doherty have
both agreed to sign for us for the
coming season,' Mathews revealed.

dancinpants
10/01/2006, 5:40 PM
OK take Longford out of my previous post :o

Slash/ED
10/01/2006, 6:18 PM
Meanwhile, I don't think it's been mentioned, Longfords Sean Dillon has signed for Shels.

Dr.Nightdub
10/01/2006, 7:43 PM
Going back to the far more interesting subject of CHP, they have the tastiest burgers in the League.

*Stands back to watch the thread spiral into total off-topic chaos* :D

Magicme
11/01/2006, 8:43 AM

Darren Sargent (St Pats)

Robbie Smith (St Pats)

Kevin Cronin (Kildare)

If anyone has any info on the above players (except Jimmy of course!) let me know. Thanks

I think i played against Sargent when i was with Kildare.a big strong centre half i think. Kevin Cronin is a left sided defender or midfielder who was over at Leeds for a while before coming home.don't know anything about the other lad though

Thanks!

Magicme
11/01/2006, 8:45 AM
Going back to the far more interesting subject of CHP, they have the tastiest burgers in the League.

*Stands back to watch the thread spiral into total off-topic chaos* :D

Ha ha.....we have replaced the burgers with Mondogs now...the tastiest HotDogs in the eL....oh and Annie's homemade Veg soup is beautiful too!

Passive
11/01/2006, 9:49 AM
Just on the list of transfers, Pats signed Lee Roche from Rovers and not from Glentoran. Also, Trevor Molloy has not been released from Rovers.

pineapple stu
11/01/2006, 12:22 PM
Just on the list of transfers, Pats signed Lee Roche from Rovers and not from Glentoran.
He signed for Glens for Rovers, and on to Pat's. Glens website had his signing down earlier in the season and mentions now that he's left them to go to Pat's. Thought I'd taken Molloy off - I'll change it now.

Longford seem in trouble for this season! Might be heading towards a play-off place?

WeAreRovers
11/01/2006, 12:44 PM
He signed for Glens for Rovers, and on to Pat's. Glens website had his signing down earlier in the season and mentions now that he's left them to go to Pat's.

According to Lee Roche himself he hasn't signed for anyone yet. That said I'd imagine Pats will be where he'll end up as Scully doesn't want him.

KOH

pineapple stu
11/01/2006, 12:47 PM
Awkward fecker!! Glens website (http://www.glentoran.net/) has him down as going to Pat's anyway. That's good enough for me...

Poor Student
11/01/2006, 12:58 PM
Longford seem in trouble for this season! Might be heading towards a play-off place?

Why do you say that? The area they've most been weakened is central defence and they've signed two central defenders in Murphy and Doherty. They just need to replace Digger. Granted their last year's team wasn't great but they should be able to steer clear of danger.

pineapple stu
11/01/2006, 1:02 PM
Doherty is very injury prone. Alan Murphy was with them before and won't set the world alight - he once played for a team which conceded five goals to UCD. He was sh!t that day.:p Barry Ferguson - their holding midfielder and captain - is gone as well. With the amount of goals they score (i.e. bugger all), any hit to the defence will be very much felt. Maybe play-off is a bit over the top, but they'd be doing well to come top half, which is what they've managed for the past few years now.

Edit - sorry, Ferguson is the second centre-back you're talking about, I think.

Poor Student
11/01/2006, 1:07 PM
Yeah Ferguson plays defence too I thought. Matthews claimed he has four signings or something, we'll have to see who they are. Right now I'd be more worried about ourselves, we've lost some quality in our squad we need replaced.

pineapple stu
11/01/2006, 1:10 PM
I don't know - only Micko was a regular of the players who have gone. Cawley is a good enough replacement. I don't think our first XI is any worse than it was last season. Hopefully with a full season in the Premier under their belts, the likes of Dicker, Hurley, Quigley, Kenna, Shortall, etc. can improve from last year. Still think we underachieved last year too. And if Paul Byrne comes back from his injury we're flying! :D

Poor Student
11/01/2006, 1:12 PM
It's hard to say, we had so many cameos last season. At times Murphy was doing great, other times Damo did a good shift. None of our strikers did well and we just seemed to shift forwards/wingers around accordingly due to injuries. I'm worried that Paul Byrne has disappeared into oblivion. Looks/looked a much better prospect than his namesake Conan in my opinion. If Darragh Ryan is as frightening at left back as you all say then I am worried. I wanted a defensive improvement on Micko.

Passive
11/01/2006, 2:30 PM
He signed for Glens for Rovers, and on to Pat's.

He's basically the Sex Pistols of League of Ireland football.

Schumi
11/01/2006, 2:52 PM
Going back to the far more interesting subject of CHP, they have the tastiest burgers in the League.Tasty barmaids too from what I recall. :D

Terry
11/01/2006, 3:03 PM
Galway United have taken Richard Levine on trail from Barbados. He arrived in Galway on Tuesday 10th January for a trial period. He has four international caps and is related to Eric. He is 18/19 and can play as either a striker or can play on either wing.

Magicme
11/01/2006, 4:51 PM
Tasty barmaids too from what I recall. :D

How long is it since you were here?? :eek: Well there is one tasty barmaid still, and her boyfriend behind the bar and then there is me!

sligoman
11/01/2006, 5:00 PM
and then there is me!:eek:, oh Jaysus!:D :p.

Schumi
11/01/2006, 5:07 PM
How long is it since you were here?? :eek: Well there is one tasty barmaid still, and her boyfriend behind the bar and then there is me!
I'm confused! Are you saying that you're not 'tasty'?

sligoman
11/01/2006, 5:11 PM
I'm confused! Are you saying that you're not 'tasty'?Yeah, and she's also saying that she fancies the other barmaid;) :D.

Magicme
11/01/2006, 5:12 PM
:eek:, oh Jaysus!:D :p.

I know....exactly why was asking how long it was since he was there! Apart from actually playing on the team and getting to test the showers for them (a job I have long campaigned for!) you can find me doing almost any job at CHP!

Magicme
11/01/2006, 5:18 PM
Oi now Sligoman behave!

Am tasty if your taste extends to minging football mad women!

Lux Interior
12/01/2006, 3:30 PM
'Willo' McDonagh signed for the Glens today on 2 1/2 year deal.

Any good?

NY Hoop
12/01/2006, 3:40 PM
'Willo' McDonagh signed for the Glens today on 2 1/2 year deal.

Any good?

Any good? Jesus on a bike dont you have scouts up there?! A complete slogger, unfit, no talent, doesnt go through a game without getting booked. But thanks for taking him off our hands and out of our league!

KOH

Lux Interior
12/01/2006, 3:53 PM
**** one, Hoop.

But what's he really like?:D

Passive
12/01/2006, 5:05 PM
**** one, Hoop.

But what's he really like?:D

Best thing you can say about Willo is that he will get a few goals from set pieces. Unfortunately, he was suspended for a quarter of our season, which gives an indication of his general attitude.