PDA

View Full Version : Roddy Suspended for another 5 days

Roverstillidie
23/11/2005, 7:17 PM
Shamrock Rovers Press Statement

Issued 23.11.05

The Board of Shamrock Rovers has suspended Roddy Collins on full pay for a further five days, with effect from 5.00 pm today, Wednesday 23rd November 2006, pending the review of a recently-completed internal investigation.
ENDS

A face
23/11/2005, 7:22 PM
Is this guy going to sort himself out or what ??

The league needs to get more professional he said on the 6.01 news on night and then he carries on like this .... he is fooling no one ... the whole league is onlooking and he is crippling any career he had hoped for in the league in the future. :eek:

If he were twelve, he'd be too old for this shíte !! :( :mad:

Speranza
23/11/2005, 7:34 PM
I'm confused, what has he done to earn an extension of the ban. I thought the extension was simply a pre-cursor to him being sacked.

chippie0001
23/11/2005, 8:08 PM
I think the 400 club are ensuring that Roddy can continue with his boast of never being relegated while managing a team. He owes them one by the looks of it. :)

EnDai
23/11/2005, 8:10 PM
From the sounds of the statement, they haven't finished reviewing what needed to be reviewed :)

TonyD
23/11/2005, 8:17 PM
It looks to me like they're trying to goad him into walking out, so they can avoid paying up his contract. Roddy's not going to fall for that I imagine. And if they get relegated they definitely won't be able to afford to get rid of him. Can't see anyone coming in to take him off their hands either.

EnDai
23/11/2005, 8:25 PM
Well, they're paying him. If I were him I'd be happy to take my paycheck and get told to stay home for another few days! :D

coislaoi
23/11/2005, 9:12 PM
It looks to me like they're trying to goad him into walking out, so they can avoid paying up his contract. Roddy's not going to fall for that I imagine. And if they get relegated they definitely won't be able to afford to get rid of him. Can't see anyone coming in to take him off their hands either.
It seems to me that they are playing it by the book. They obviously think they have grounds to dismiss him. I'd say they are putting together a gross misconduct charge in which case if Rovers succeed, no compo for Roddy.

You can be sacked without compo if you contribute to your own dismissal.
And no, I'm not a lawyer.;)

manic da hoop
23/11/2005, 9:56 PM
It seems to me that they are playing it by the book. They obviously think they have grounds to dismiss him. I'd say they are putting together a gross misconduct charge in which case if Rovers succeed, no compo for Roddy.

You can be sacked without compo if you contribute to your own dismissal.
And no, I'm not a lawyer.;)

Proberbly the most rounded and accurate description of what is actually happening behind the scenes. Not a lawyer, you say? You should be! :)

dfx-
23/11/2005, 9:58 PM
The board have to be commended strongly for their handling of "the Roddy issue":cool:

Derek
23/11/2005, 11:12 PM
The board have to be commended strongly for their handling of "the Roddy issue":cool:

He is a black plague on our league, it is good to see Rovers sorting him out. Well Done.

Block G Raptor
24/11/2005, 10:49 AM
He is a black plague on our league, it is good to see Rovers sorting him out. Well Done.

I Second That

Roddy should be locked up or worse............

Dricky
24/11/2005, 11:20 AM
He is a Joke, full of his own self importance, funny thing is he's not important.

Good to see rubbish like him make a fool of themselves.

I think they should have a scuffle with Ollie, sell ticket to raise money for Rovers. It would be a sell out the Rumble in the Rubble....

And if Ollie isn't willing to help we could always get a kangaroo or something.

Each suspension I presume is being followed with a written warning, one more and they can get shot of him.

blueviking1980
24/11/2005, 5:29 PM
After the amount of clubs he's turned brown over the seasons, if ANOTHER club wants him in charge after his stints he pulled then they deserve the discomfort & misfortune. Rovers saw the light too little too late one has to say. At least they took action before he did... or did they?? :confused:

junkie
24/11/2005, 5:37 PM
and you just know that if Rovers are relegated Roddy will be proclaiming his ''I've never been relegated as manager'' record. :rolleyes:

The guy makes me want to puke.

hoopy
24/11/2005, 7:58 PM
Can't see anyone coming in to take him off their hands either.

Already sorted ;)

Battery Rover
24/11/2005, 8:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
Can't see anyone coming in to take him off their hands either.

Already sorted

Can you elaborate?

A face
24/11/2005, 8:37 PM
Already sorted ;)

Hey ... sounds like you know something we dont, and quite possibly it is something we all want to know .... you know the drill ..... spill !! :p

Éanna
24/11/2005, 8:48 PM
They have to be commended strongly for the way they have run the club in general since they took over. As for Roddy, I've a lot of time for the guy- met him once or twice and chatted to him, and he struck me as a nice fella. But his conduct at Rovers has been disgraceful.

Derek
24/11/2005, 9:58 PM
As for Roddy, I've a lot of time for the guy- met him once or twice and chatted to him, and he struck me as a nice fella. But his conduct at Rovers has been disgraceful.

I met him once or twice and chated with him and he seemed like a very nice fella, and in truth he may well be a very nice fella but outside football, I reckon he would sell his granny to get ahead, but then thats how snakes are.

Éanna
24/11/2005, 10:23 PM
(this is a first) I agree totally. (with a CHF fan :eek: )

hoopy
25/11/2005, 8:24 AM
Can you elaborate?

Not yet :D

joeSoap
25/11/2005, 8:31 AM
Rumour mill has it that his buddy Ralph Mileson (Gretna owner, money to burn) has done a deal to buy Pats, and Shoddy's going in there. Part of his suspension is supposed to be because he was already tapping up some Rovers players. Rumour mill, I repeat, but it has a certain truthful ring about it....

Block G Raptor
25/11/2005, 8:47 AM
I met him once or twice and chated with him and he seemed like a very nice fella, and in truth he may well be a very nice fella but outside football, I reckon he would sell his granny to get ahead, but then thats how snakes are.

Agreed Great chap to go on the beer with but you wouldn't bring him home to meet your missus :D
had a few beers with him the night we won the league in 2001 and had a totally great night but then again i could have been drinking with hitler hussein and bin laden that night and it still would have been a great night

Block G Raptor
25/11/2005, 8:49 AM
Rumour mill has it that his buddy Ralph Mileson (Gretna owner, money to burn) has done a deal to buy Pats, and Shoddy's going in there. Part of his suspension is supposed to be because he was already tapping up some Rovers players. Rumour mill, I repeat, but it has a certain truthful ring about it....

Takes a while for you to catch on doesn't it we've been saying that on here for a week now

http://www.foot.ie/showpost.php?p=390888&postcount=23

Macy
25/11/2005, 9:25 AM
Rovers saw the light too little too late one has to say.
Don't think so, they've just followed proper employment procedures. Just as you or I would expect in our jobs.

Dodge
25/11/2005, 11:04 AM
Our manager signed a contract extension last week. Roddy will NOT be involved next year at Pats. And even if he was, what players would he bring? The only ones good enough for our (rubbish) squad are Mollow, Rutherford and Murphy.

John83
25/11/2005, 11:14 AM
Can anyone tell me what he did (or is alleged to have done) to get suspended? It seems to be assumed that he's done something he can be sacked for.

John83
25/11/2005, 4:51 PM
There's a litany of failings.
He's crap? That's grounds for a suspension these days?

HarpoJoyce
25/11/2005, 6:28 PM
Rovers don't seem to be able to afford to buy off their manager. And maybe they are attempting to off-load him without being accused of unfair dismissal.

The bother for Rovers is that the law accepts it is NOT unfair to dismiss someone if the employees Conduct, Competence or by legaslative act (e.g. losing your driving licence means you can't drive a motor vechicle) renders the employer no other option but to fire the employee.

Now the third reason is not really relevant, unless the Rovers board demanded Roddy drive to Cobh every second Saturday and he refused.

The second option doesn't really come into play as the league table shows the results of Roddy's effort*

*I don't wish to go over old ground but Rovers would be in Mid-Table if Branvard/FAI hadn't stolen our precious points ...blah..."
League table doesn't lie, its a fair measurement of effort. Roddy's team earned +35 - 8.

Rovers board are left with Competence, I believe the arguements for incompetence are weak for this season. Most of the arguements below are still rumours.

Roddy had a large player turnover this season. He can show he still battled away with little resources.

During Examinership, when all options were on the table, he can show his efforts ( if true) in liasing with Mileson in attempting to get money invested in the Club. At one stage this season it appeared him and the Examiner were the only people fronting the club and officially representing it.

I've heard reports that he refused to watch some end of season First Division games. He was at Belfield for the UCD v. Waterford Monday night game (game 29 or so). Rovers were due to play both teams and both weren't out of the woods. [ I know, Belfield's used to be an orchard, we are never out of the woods]

About Rovers training schedule, maybe the board believe they are on surer ground. But Training and Fitness are big industies with many points of opinion on how athletes should be treated. I believe that if a players lack of fitness is a reason for dismissal than alot of managers are accountable and alternative arguements can be presented which may show Roddy had the Players' and club's best interest at heart.

The Rovers board are in a tough position if they wish to get rid of Roddy prematurely. The alternative is to bite the bullet and pay his contract either upfront or as he earns it next season in the Rovers dug-out. Also, Rovers need to be warey that they are not giving themselves a reputation as employers, since they may not attract the tip-top in personnel.

pete
26/11/2005, 11:20 AM
Roddy was clearly doing unofficial financial deals for players, slagging off his employers in the media & i suppose leaving one game early & apparently not turning up for another was enough...?