PDA

View Full Version : RTE 1 radio anti-Cork bias

SeanC
23/11/2005, 8:01 AM
RTE 1 radio anti-Cork bias is unreal.

[1] As you know, Kevin Doyle is flying with Reading across the water.

On Morning Ireland, he was described as "Wexford's Kevin Doyle".

Are we to believe that he'd be described that way if he was ex-Shelbourne or ex-St. Pat's? Methinks not. Grrr!

[2] What's the big EL news of the week on RTE radio? How Shamrock Rovers might be relegated and isn't it a tragedy if they do go down.

Setting aside journalistic integrity, that's total disrespect for Dublin City.

[3] Also there hasn't been have enough chat on how Cork deserve their title. I'm not gloating (well, i'm trying not to anyway) but when the Dubs win its all over the radio. There isn't half enough on brillant City are.

PS CHAMPIONES OF IRELAND!!! :ball:

coislaoi
23/11/2005, 8:10 AM

Are we to believe that he'd be described that way if he was ex-Shelbourne or ex-St. Pat's? Methinks not. Grrr!

[2] What's the big EL news of the week on RTE radio? How Shamrock Rovers might be relegated and isn't it a tragedy if they do go down.

[3] Also there hasn't been have enough chat on how Cork deserve their title. I'm not gloating (well, i'm trying not to anyway) but when the Dubs win its all over the radio. There isn't half enough on brillant City are.

I have to say I don't agree with you at all. I always find Radio 1 to be quite balanced in it's coverage. As an exile in Dublin it's the local radion stations here that get on my tits - but I suppose they are Dublin local radio stations and that's to be expected.

Rte radio are to be commended for their coverage of the Eircom League. What other station provides extensive coverage of the league on Friday night?

Ps Kevin Doyle IS from Wexford and he previously played for St Pats as well as Cork City.:cool:

Dotsy
23/11/2005, 8:21 AM

Take the chip off your shoulder. You deservedly won the league and got the plaudits for doing so in the media over the weekend. Life moves on.

SeanC
23/11/2005, 8:46 AM
Take the chip off your shoulder. You deservedly won the league and got the plaudits for doing so in the media over the weekend. Life moves on.

No chip on my shoulder. Maybe you missed my second point, which had nothing to do with Cork:

Drumcondra Red
23/11/2005, 8:49 AM
SeanC there is a massive chip on your shoulder, and respect has to be earned!

SeanC
23/11/2005, 8:59 AM
SeanC there is a massive chip on your shoulder, and respect has to be earned!

Actually, you're completely correct. After further inspection, there is a MASSIVE chip on my shoulder. How could I have missed it. Oh, the embarrasment! :eek:

Please disgregard my previous comments. Of course, I fully retract my earlier statements. RTE are beyond reproach in all matters sporting or otherwise.

Obviously, as RTE have stated, it would be a tragedy if Shamrock Rovers get relegated. And if Dublin City fans don't like it...well they obviouslty have chips on their shoulders as well. Join the gang lads.

Wiseguy
23/11/2005, 9:03 AM

1) As stated in a post above Kevin Doyle is from Wexford and has played with more clubs than Cork so it is accurate reporting.

2) As Cork won the title the weekend just past it was dealt with the weekend just past plus in numerous papers yesterday.Shamrock Rovers are the most successful club in the history of our NL and were playing 90mins of football last night which would go some way to preserving their proud top flite status or relegation.It would be kind of like Man Utd being relegated plus it is current news so nothing wrong with that.

3) I think everyone agrees that Cork derserved their title even if most wanted Derry to win.It has been mentioned on every radio station,tv station and has appeared on every national newspaper up and down the country so unless you want it to be debated on prime time i think it has got good media coverage.

P.S. Champions of the EL not Ireland.The only all Ireland competition that exists for football is the Setanta Cup and Linfield won that.

Drumcondra Red
23/11/2005, 9:05 AM
Although lets not forget that last years IL champions were comprehensivly beaten by last years EL champions... :D (Although we did crumble against Linfield)

SeanC
23/11/2005, 9:08 AM
1) As stated in a post above Kevin Doyle is from Wexford and has played with more clubs than Cork so it is accurate reporting.

2) As Cork won the title the weekend just past it was dealt with the weekend just past plus in numerous papers yesterday.Shamrock Rovers are the most successful club in the history of our NL and were playing 90mins of football last night which would go some way to preserving their proud top flite status or relegation.It would be kind of like Man Utd being relegated plus it is current news so nothing wrong with that.

3) I think everyone agrees that Cork derserved their title even if most wanted Derry to win.It has been mentioned on every radio station,tv station and has appeared on every national newspaper up and down the country so unless you want it to be debated on prime time i think it has got good media coverage.

P.S. Champions of the EL not Ireland.The only all Ireland competition that exists for football is the Setanta Cup and Linfield won that.

Let me guess: you're a trainee solicitor?

Wiseguy
23/11/2005, 9:09 AM
Although lets not forget that last years IL champions were comprehensivly beaten by last years EL champions... :D (Although we did crumble against Linfield)

Yeah and in your own backyard aswell.Anyways next year should see normality restored and the cup coming south of the the border.

Wiseguy
23/11/2005, 9:10 AM
Let me guess: you're a trainee solicitor?

No i'm not funnily enough

Jerry The Saint
23/11/2005, 9:13 AM

I agree. It's unreal, i.e. not true, i.e. All in your head! :D

Now if they'd called him "Cork's Kevin Doyle" that would have been a good example of anti-Wexford bias. He certainly helped you out earlier in the season, but let it go - you don't own him! I didn't hear any news stories over the past week about "Nottingham's Roy Keane".

Methinks you're taking the **** with this whole post and I've been taken in. Grrr! ;) I still think it's funny how many Cork fans got upset with Dolan for sneaking Doyle off to reading when they didn't mind Dolan bringing him from Pats under shady circumstances...

Block G Raptor
23/11/2005, 9:13 AM
south of the the border.

What Border :confused: :D

Jerry The Saint
23/11/2005, 9:20 AM
.Shamrock Rovers are the most successful club in the history of our NL and were playing 90mins of football last night which would go some way to preserving their proud top flite status or relegation.It would be kind of like Man Utd being relegated plus it is current news so nothing wrong with that.

Don't forget that Shamrock Rovers have the bestest, most proper, fans in the whole league (as some Cork fans keep reminding us) and their relegation would have serious financial implications for all other Premier clubs.

All credit to Cork City but I certainly think that, if Shamrock are relegated, that would be what this season is most remembered for.

tiktok
23/11/2005, 9:42 AM
[1] On Morning Ireland, he was described as "Wexford's Kevin Doyle".
He is 'Wexford's Kevin Doyle', he definitely not ours anymore, by the way, he IS ex-St.Pats.

That IS the big EL story this week, in fact I think it's a disgrace that EL weekly isn't on next Monday to cover the play-off games. We're last week's news and we got great reaction over the weekend IMO, up to yesterday's mornign sports bulletins.

[3] Also there hasn't been have enough chat on how Cork deserve their title. I'm not gloating (well, i'm trying not to anyway) but when the Dubs win its all over the radio.
When the Dubs win, they get no more coverage, if anything, the coveage this season has been better than previous years.

Can't agree with anything you say tbh.

ThatGuy
23/11/2005, 9:45 AM
Yeah Radio 1 is anti-Cork :rolleyes:

Why on earth would it be anti-Cork??? Absolute nonsense, get over yourself.

Dodge
23/11/2005, 10:32 AM
Why on earth would it be anti-Cork???
Same reason I am. Posts like the first one here.

Oh and he was longer at Pats then Cork...

pete
23/11/2005, 10:48 AM
RTE 1 radio gives the best eL coverage of all the media so i think the criticism is unfair.

Block G Raptor
23/11/2005, 10:54 AM

Paranoia............

Jerry The Saint
23/11/2005, 11:51 AM
RTE 1 radio gives the best eL coverage of all the media

This is true. Brought the radio along to listen last Friday and it was top-notch stuff. Very well put together and had the added bonus of featuring Greg O'Halloran's impersanation which might just make him my new favourite non-Pats player. :)

Roverstillidie
23/11/2005, 5:01 PM
this is the most ridiculous thread ive read here in at least a week.

a cork city fan who didnt even know doyle played for the junkies!! and they deny there is a bandwagon effect?

TonyD
23/11/2005, 8:52 PM
A cork city fan who didnt even know doyle played for the junkies!!

Doyler played for the Merchants Quay Project Team ? :eek:

Dodge
23/11/2005, 8:57 PM
This is true. Brought the radio along to listen last Friday and it was top-notch stuff. Very well put together and had the added bonus of featuring Greg O'Halloran's impersanation which might just make him my new favourite non-Pats player. :)
UNtil he signs for Shels obviously Jerry... :confused:

Risteard
24/11/2005, 12:00 AM
this is the most ridiculous thread ive read here in at least a week.
Not really.
He made a point.
Everyone disagrees with him.
Lot of common sense demonstrated really.

a cork city fan who didnt even know doyle played for the junkies!! and they deny there is a bandwagon effect?
I presume he meant if he went to Reading from Pats.
Well i hope anyway.:(
On a seperate point.
Bandwagon effect is a good thing.

tiktok
24/11/2005, 9:16 AM
........and they deny there is a bandwagon effect?

who did? where?
In fairness, one CCFC fan expresses an opinion that no-one (including the other Cork City fans on the thread) agrees with. That's all there is, if you want ridiculous threads, there are better examples on here.