PDA

View Full Version : TV Ratings

A face
22/11/2005, 5:41 PM
Got this from another site !!

281,000 average for the city v derry game. Largest share of the audience
on rte2 that night, beat home and away!!!

Also, more viewers watched city lift the title, than watched Ireland v aussies
thugby (279,000) and we hammered the premiership (230,000).

These kind of figures may loosen the purse strings of local businessmen for sponsorship.

pineapple stu
22/11/2005, 6:01 PM
That's very good, given another 20,000 or so at games across the country!

Troy.McClure
22/11/2005, 6:04 PM
281,000 average for the city v derry game. Largest share of the audience
on rte2 that night, beat home and away!!!

I cant understand how they can fiarly consistantly pull in those figures - with no advertising of the games on tv and other matches on at the same time - and not have more consistant coverege of the eL! Surely even a small bit of marketing and bob's your uncle you have a great package that isnt available anywhere else! :confused:

harry crumb
22/11/2005, 9:14 PM
Yeah, they consistently advertise the premiership and champions league and Ireland internationals, i didnt see 1 ad for the "Tale of Two Cities"

TonyD
22/11/2005, 9:18 PM
I cant understand how they can fiarly consistantly pull in those figures - with no advertising of the games on tv and other matches on at the same time - and not have more consistant coverege of the eL! Surely even a small bit of marketing and bob's your uncle you have a great package that isnt available anywhere else! :confused:

Exactly, they haven't even got the smarts to realise what they potentially have on their hands. They still have the attitude that they are doing some kind of favour by putting the games on, whereas with a bit of hype they could build up an audience, and everyone wins.

Student Mullet
22/11/2005, 10:59 PM
How much does it cost to send several cameras to a game versus getting a live feed from a foreign country.

monkey magic
22/11/2005, 11:09 PM
was just thinking along those lines.. how much are rte paying for premership rights?

and to think that all they have to do is send a few cameras around the country and throw a few ads together, and hey presto! original programming that has an audience and costs pennies

Block G Raptor
23/11/2005, 9:33 AM
the Figures dont lie
It's great that it attracted more viewers than the rugby That might make RTEngland sit up and take notice but I for one am not holding my breath

Maz
23/11/2005, 9:34 AM
Its great to see but I cant imagine them changing much on what games they show if any!

Dricky
23/11/2005, 10:42 AM
FAI don't want to push the EL until they are in charge. As for the EL, we all now the sort of small mindeness that is there.

Good to see the football was able to attract the figures. Does anyone the percentage figure for the night??

pete
23/11/2005, 10:45 AM
The eL rights were 400k for something like 40 odd games plus the 5k per game paid to each home team which means games costs 15-20k for rights plus the cost of recording live.

I know RTE pay millions for the Premiership but not sure how much per game.

tiktok
23/11/2005, 10:51 AM
The eL rights were 400k for something like 40 odd games plus the 5k per game paid to each home team which means games costs 15-20k for rights plus the cost of recording live.

I wonder what the advertising sells for per 30sec during the broadcast?

gspain
23/11/2005, 11:47 AM
It shouldn't even just be about the money. Broadcasting domestic football is a public service and RTE are supposed to be a public service broadcaster and hence get a licence fee.

Fantastic viewing figures considering as well that there would have been many more viewers in NI not covered by TAM ratings. Furthermore all the other premier division clubs had a game at the same time.

Rover 2 U
23/11/2005, 11:52 AM
I wonder what the advertising sells for per 30sec during the broadcast?

Whatever it was, it will be a lot higher next season. RTE will stick those viewing figures under their arm and make a mint off them. 281,000 at 7:30 on a Friday evening is huge numbers for sport on Irish TV. Will the clubs see any more of it though? Probably not.:rolleyes:

thejollyrodger
23/11/2005, 12:07 PM
They are massive figure. Just shows you the intrest in irish soccer. I think cameras can kill a league though. Football in england used to be something that you went and see, then sky came along and most people were armchair supporters.

I would like to see an improved Eircom League package but not a comprehensive one like Sky because there would be no one at the grounds

pete
23/11/2005, 12:22 PM
I don't think any danger of 3-4 live eL games per weekend.

monkey magic
23/11/2005, 1:58 PM
even one would be enough, is not bevond belief that there would be at least one match per week that would capture a sizeable audience

tiktok
23/11/2005, 2:04 PM
www.corkcityfc.ie

Figure is officialy 355,000 now, I guess they've somehow factored in viewer figures from the North too
Fantastic stuff

ColinR
23/11/2005, 2:20 PM
they are brilliant viewing figures, however they are not a true representation of a likely audience for matches next season.

despite the lack of promotion from rte - the game itself got massive exposure in the print media all week, and interest was certainly much higher amongst non eL fans due to the title decider nature of the game.

all in all, brilliant figures, but the real test is the ability to sustain those figures (if more matches are shown :rolleyes: )

A face
23/11/2005, 7:16 PM
It is up to the fans to put pressure on the league / FAI to get proper coverage and / or decent money for the league from broadcasters.

NY Hoop
24/11/2005, 10:26 AM
Exactly, they haven't even got the smarts to realise what they potentially have on their hands. They still have the attitude that they are doing some kind of favour by putting the games on, whereas with a bit of hype they could build up an audience, and everyone wins.

Spot on there.

However think of the viewing figures for TV3 if they had a proper one hour highlights package at a decent hour on a monday night covering ALL the premier games every week and ours in the first division:D

KOH

Schumi
24/11/2005, 12:23 PM
It is up to the fans to put pressure on the league / FAI to get proper coverage and / or decent money for the league from broadcasters.There was a bit in the free Metro yoke this morning with quotes from Delaney about how this showed the interest in the league so fingers crossed.

Tenderloins
24/11/2005, 1:00 PM
It will be Interesting to see the viewing figures for the cup final?
I wonder is it in part Corks nice style of football that has people watching, but also not switching channels during the game either"
A few non EL people in work watched it and were surprised by the quality of Corks play. Most felt a bit sorry that Derry didn't score, so that there would be an even more hectic climax to the season.
I'd imagine next years fixture computers have Cork V Shels on the last day?

pete
24/11/2005, 2:31 PM
A winner takes all last day of the season match is always likely to give the eL one of its highest ever ratings so that has to be taken into account.
A winter friday night will also get higher ratings that summer evening.

RTE may not have publicised the match at all but all other media gave huge coverage all through the week. Sold Out signs 10 days in advance gets a lot of publicity.

I think the fact we were on tv for Uefa Cup games already this season playing good football against relatively known opposition got a lot of people to watch.

OwlsFan
24/11/2005, 4:32 PM
RTE 2 broadcast of eircom League decider a huge success

The eircom League decider between Cork City and Derry City on Friday attracted 355,000 viewers at peak time on the RTE 2 live telecast.

Officials of the FAI and the eircom League today expressed their delight at the response of the public to the broadcast of a match which Cork City won 2-0 to clinch the eircom league, Premier Division title.

Mr. John Delaney, Chief Executive of the FAI, and Mr. Paddy McCaul, Chairman of the eircom League, said the numbers who tuned in for the broadcast illustrated the attraction live sports coverage holds for the Irish public.

Said Mr. Delaney: "These viewing figures show the tremendous interest which exists in the eircom League.

“The television deal which brought 40 games to our screens this season was a huge success and demonstrates the great potential of the eircom League."

The figures released today for the RTE 2 coverage of the game show a rating for the viewing peaking at 9.3 while the share peaked at 23.8 translating to 355,000 viewers at peak time.

The Turner's Cross stadium was full to capacity with upwards of 8,000 fans paying in to see the game.
---------------------------
From the FAI website

Jerry The Saint
24/11/2005, 4:45 PM
“The television deal which brought 40 games to our screens this season was a huge success and demonstrates the great potential of the eircom League."

Did they get to 40 in the end? I know there was a committment at the start of the season but there seemed to be an awful lot of weeks with no games on at all (I suppose the Setanta games took up a large chunk of the 40 at the start of the season). Does anyone know if a list exists?

junkie
24/11/2005, 5:02 PM
My hole there was 40 games shown this season.

I'd say 25 at the very most which includes eL, FAI Cup and eL Cup.

pete
24/11/2005, 6:10 PM
Surely the 40 includes the Setanta Cup?

Block G Raptor
25/11/2005, 8:30 AM
RTE 2 broadcast of eircom League decider a huge success

The eircom League decider between Cork City and Derry City on Friday attracted 355,000 viewers at peak time on the RTE 2 live telecast.

Officials of the FAI and the eircom League today expressed their delight at the response of the public to the broadcast of a match which Cork City won 2-0 to clinch the eircom league, Premier Division title.

Mr. John Delaney, Chief Executive of the FAI, and Mr. Paddy McCaul, Chairman of the eircom League, said the numbers who tuned in for the broadcast illustrated the attraction live sports coverage holds for the Irish public.

Said Mr. Delaney: "These viewing figures show the tremendous interest which exists in the eircom League.

The figures released today for the RTE 2 coverage of the game show a rating for the viewing peaking at 9.3 while the share peaked at 23.8 translating to 355,000 viewers at peak time.

The Turner's Cross stadium was full to capacity with upwards of 8,000 fans paying in to see the game.
---------------------------
From the FAI website
Shock Horror ..................Not only have the FAIlures Acknowledged that there is actually a league on this side of the Irish sea but they've actually praised it too ............Things are looking up boy's

hamish
01/12/2005, 5:11 AM
[QUOTE=OwlsFan]RTE 2 broadcast of eircom League decider a huge success

Fantastic figures.

No excuse for RTE not to show more games next season.

pete
01/12/2005, 10:56 AM
281k average (http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p369.htm)

Highest rated RTE2 programme of that week. Looking at top ratings of 2004 would mean figure of 281k would sneak into RTE top 10. All the more impressive considering probablt a few high rating soaps on other channels. I doubt RTE2 gets much viewers on standard friday night...

A face
01/12/2005, 11:46 AM
281k average (http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p369.htm)

Highest rated RTE2 programme of that week. Looking at top ratings of 2004 would mean figure of 281k would sneak into RTE top 10. All the more impressive considering probablt a few high rating soaps on other channels. I doubt RTE2 gets much viewers on standard friday night...

I'm not saying they'd get that every week, but if that changed their attitude and put a proper effort into showing games, they would have it on a constant basis.

garykelly
01/12/2005, 3:31 PM
It is up to the fans to put pressure on the league / FAI to get proper coverage and / or decent money for the league from broadcasters.

Excellent post. This is the only way this league is going to improve. Supporters have left everything to the officials of power and while the league improves(down to the clubs, not the powers that be), overall the league is like akin to time standing still or the land sport forgot.

But now supporters are taking an active interest in the running of clubs (trusts) and in the running of Irish football (NLSA) and this can only be a good thing as the league progresses. Hopefully more clubs will form inclusive supporters trusts and clubs . And hopefully the NLSA will become the number one focal point for all supporters of Eircom League football and develop into a powerful and recognised voice of Irish Football.

Tenderloins
09/12/2005, 1:07 PM
Are there any viewing figures for games on Setanta?
If there are ,do they cover the audience when the game was broadcast live or the multiple times a match may be shown?

eirebhoy
09/12/2005, 2:07 PM
The 24,521 attendance and the television audience for last Sunday’s FAI Carlsberg Cup Final brought the attendance and viewing figures to over 1.5 million for the senior domestic season just finished.

Figures just released show that last Sunday’s coverage by RTE Two of the Cup Final showed a rating of 4.7, peaking at 7.5 and a share of 21.9, peaking at 31.7. This gave an average viewing figure of 179,000, peaking at 285,000.

Total attendance figures for the season for the eircom League, FAI Carlsberg Cup, Setanta Cup, eircom League Cup and European Competitions are up by 6% to 520,000 with the Cork City v Derry City game on 18th November drawing the highest League attendance of just over 8,000.

A total of 44 games were shown live on television while a further three had a deferred broadcast giving viewing figures of just over 1 million throughout the season. The highest peak viewing at 355,000 was for the final eircom League game of the season between Cork City and Derry City while last Sunday’s FAI Carlsberg Cup Final drew the highest peak viewing for the Cup of 285,000.

FAI Chief Executive Officer, John Delaney, in welcoming the figures said, “the decision to strike the deal for domestic football with our television partners has been truly vindicated while the greater exposure of domestic football has led to increased attendances at the games”.

Paddy McCaul, Chairman of the eircom League, paid tribute to the clubs for embracing the television coverage and said “the quality of the football played and the atmosphere generated by the fans made our domestic football attractive viewing throughout the season and gives a great platform for the further development of our game”.
http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=15675&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes

pete
10/12/2005, 11:35 AM
Are there any viewing figures for games on Setanta?
If there are ,do they cover the audience when the game was broadcast live or the multiple times a match may be shown?

I don't think cable stations release audience figures but i suppose since they reach less people will be a percentage of the RTE figures. I think 50k is good for Setanta or maybe i'm mixing up with rugby...