PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers and Dublin City prepare for high drama of play-off

Ringo
21/11/2005, 9:12 PM
Shamrock Rovers and Dublin City prepare for high drama of play-off

Shamrock Rovers v Dublin City, Dalymount Park (Kick off 7:45)

The eircom League's most successful club ever, Shamrock Rovers, are in danger of suffering relegation for the first time as they face Dublin City in the promotion-relegation play-off with the first leg tonight (Tuesday).

As always, the play-offs promise plenty of drama though history favours Rovers as, in the last four years, the Premier Division side has always survived - albeit it by the skin of their teeth.

Not since Kilkenny City overturned Waterford United in 2000 has the First Division outfit came out on top though Dublin City have form on their side going into this year’s play-off.

The Vikings are on a three-game winning run while Rovers have lost five of their last six matches in the Premier Division.

Add to that the fact that Shamrock Rovers — or more accurately manager Roddy Collins — is the one person the Vikings want to beat after he left Dublin City for Rovers last season.

Many of Dublin City’s players too have a point to prove to Collins after he released them from the Vikings during his tenure last season only for current boss Dermot Keely to re-sign them this year as the pushed for promotion.

Collins, of course, will not be involved tonight after he was suspended by Shamrock Rovers for an “internal matter” meaning that special advisor Alan O’Neill will take charge tonight.

O’Neill, however, insists that no matter who is in charge of Rovers, it will make no difference as only the players can save the Hoops.

“It’s not going to be me who keeps Shamrock Rovers up. Only the players can do that and that is what we have been telling them,” said O’Neill.

“It is up to the players to show the fighting spirit needed to get through what are two huge games for the club.”

On the opposite bench will be former Rovers, captain and manager Dermot Keely who is looking to guide the Vikings back to the Premier Division at the first attempt.

Keely admitted that Rovers would not be his first choice in a play-off though is concentrating on the job at hand.

“It saddens me it is Rovers we play, because I had such good times with them as a player and manager,” said Keely.

“I’d prefer it to be somebody else, that’s the truth. But it’s not. These things are made for you. Fate can be nasty sometimes.”

Rovers will welcome back Mark Rutherford, Trevor Molloy and Derek Treacy for the clash though Mark Quigley is a doubt while Dublin City have welcome back Ben Whelahan and Alan Mulcahy from suspension.

Tonight’s clash is expected to be tight with very little in the game which would ensure plenty of drama in Friday’s second leg at Tolka Park.
www.fai.ie

wintz
21/11/2005, 10:55 PM
Any live tv coverage?

dcfcsteve
22/11/2005, 12:22 AM
Sadly not.

Now that the League 'proper' is over, the TV channels have switched off again until the Setanta Cup next year....

A face
22/11/2005, 1:40 AM
Sadly not.

Now that the League 'proper' is over, the TV channels have switched off again until the Setanta Cup next year....

Well there is the cup final to go yet but you're right, should show at least one of the play-offs !!

Block G Raptor
22/11/2005, 1:57 PM
I'm Raging its not on the box I would have taped it and watched the homeless being relegated at least once a day for the rest of my life:D :D :D

But seriously Good luck Dublin hope u do it to roddy even if he's not there to see it

junkie
22/11/2005, 2:56 PM
Unfortunately I think Rovers will edge it over the 2 legs but I'll keep my fingers crossed becuase it it would make my year to see a team managed by Roddy Collins relegated by the the team he walked out on!

C'mon City!

manic da hoop
22/11/2005, 3:18 PM
Or a team managed by Alan O'Neill even:rolleyes:

Mark Breen
22/11/2005, 4:43 PM
Roddy collins is the manager of Shamrock rovers not Alan O'Neill, roddy got you in that position not Alan and if you get relegated on Friday it WILL be Roddy who got you relegated NOT Alan O'Neill,

What ever happens i hope roddy isn't in the premier division next year

he is a complete and utter wnker

WeAreRovers
22/11/2005, 4:45 PM
Roddy collins is the manager of Shamrock rovers not Alan O'Neill,

Another genius who knows more about our club than we do. Roddy is not our manager. I'm off to the pub, can't take anymore of this.

KOH

Ringo
22/11/2005, 4:55 PM
Another genius who knows more about our club than we do. Roddy is not our manager. I'm off to the pub, can't take anymore of this.

KOH
so he's been sacked:confused: what about his 2 year contract:confused:

thejollyrodger
22/11/2005, 6:56 PM
whats the score now lads, livescore isnt giving the results

Baker
22/11/2005, 7:19 PM
Still 0-0.

Buller
22/11/2005, 7:27 PM
Halftime now, same score...

pineapple stu
22/11/2005, 7:30 PM
Aertel says 1-0 Dublin City. Robbie Hedderman on 43 minutes.

chippie0001
22/11/2005, 7:31 PM
Aertel says 1-0 Dublin City. Robbie Hedderman on 43 minutes.
It is indeed, just got the call, can't stop laughing here. Still see Rovers winning but funny at the moment.

Buller
22/11/2005, 7:35 PM
:eek: WAT!!!:eek:
this is bad

gypsydownunder
22/11/2005, 7:39 PM
YESSSSS.

What's all this Waterford, Longford, Dundalk love in with the southside?

There would be no greater thing in football than seeing Shamerock Southside relegated. By Home Farm. Well actually if we could combine the 4-6 as the game that did it, well maybe then that'd be better. But only just.

pineapple stu
22/11/2005, 7:41 PM
Where are you Buller? Even the Rovers messageboard is dead - everybody seems to be at the match! Dublin City messageboard is dead too! :)

Buller
22/11/2005, 7:55 PM
In a land far, far away! Yeah i know everyones at it... I couldnt make it unfortunatly.... :(
PS: Dublin City messageboard is dead! Suprise Suprise!!! lol

Buller
22/11/2005, 7:57 PM
Penalty to rovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Buller
22/11/2005, 7:58 PM
1-1, Molloy!!!! YES!!!!:D
Now this can olny be GOOD for irish football!!!

ccfcgirl
22/11/2005, 7:58 PM
Penalty to rovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:DDid they score?

Baker
22/11/2005, 7:59 PM
Updates are on every ten minutes or so on newstalk 106.

1-1 now. Molloy peno according to aertel

Buller
22/11/2005, 8:02 PM
yup!!! we sure did....:ball:

Baker
22/11/2005, 8:26 PM
2-1 to Dublin.

Conor H
22/11/2005, 8:27 PM
:eek: :D .It's gonna be great crack in the 1st division next year!

Buller
22/11/2005, 8:33 PM
:eek: :D .It's gonna be great crack in the 1st division next year!

Oh for the love of god no!!!! I mean, it'd be an honour to... lol

FCUK!!!:mad:

chippie0001
22/11/2005, 8:35 PM
Its over, forgive me, but :) :) :)

Buller
22/11/2005, 8:37 PM
Its over, forgive me, but :)
Your sins are forgiven. You may now go in peace...

...and support rovers/irish domestic football on friday!!!;)

B-Stand
22/11/2005, 8:40 PM
Zipedeedoodaa Zipedeedooday my oh my what a beautiful day! :D :D :D

GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN...

Colm
22/11/2005, 8:46 PM
This is a terrible result for Irish football.
Imagine having Dublin City and UCD in the premier division next year. :(

Hopefully Rovers will do enough to overturn the result on Friday.

Buller
22/11/2005, 8:53 PM
Hopefully, its looking pretty bad though...:(

Rebal Boy
22/11/2005, 8:57 PM
I'd say to people living in Dublin, to go to that match on Friday even if you don't support eatier team. I'd love if it was on TV. Its going to be nail bitting for both teams.

patsh
22/11/2005, 9:10 PM
Come on Rovers, get your act together....

Poor Student
22/11/2005, 9:19 PM
Awful game of football. Rovers were terrible. Dublin City heavily dominated most of the 1st half in terms of play and posession. Both teams gave the ball away cheaply so many times. I think Dublin City probably shaded it 2nd half as well. Rovers penalty was clear cut. Poor play and a cheap giveaway by City let Rovers in and Molloy was just chopped down in the box. There isn't a doubt that this was a fair result for Dublin City. You'd have sworn they were the Premier team on the basis of the match. Well, actually you'd have sworn it was a first division game. The Jody Stand was 3/4s full with Rovers fans. Somehow I'd have expected more in this time of need for them, particularly when you add in interested neutrals.

Mental Man
22/11/2005, 10:33 PM
Holy sweet Jesus of football,if there is a god then he cant let CHF up in to the premiere division and their 5 fans.

Dodge
22/11/2005, 10:59 PM
This is a terrible result for Irish football.
Imagine having Dublin City and UCD in the premier division next year. :(

is the first division not part of Irish football anymore? If Rovers are that huge a club surely they'll invigorate the first division and then the WHOLE of Irish football will be better off?

monkey magic
22/11/2005, 11:11 PM
is the first division not part of Irish football anymore? If Rovers are that huge a club surely they'll invigorate the first division and then the WHOLE of Irish football will be better off?

are you seriously saying that domestic football will gain from a positive result for chf:rolleyes:

sligoman
22/11/2005, 11:15 PM
Great result. Come on CHFDCFC:):).

Student Mullet
22/11/2005, 11:23 PM
are you seriously saying that domestic football will gain from a positive result for chfI think he is. It will be good for both the first division and the bottom premier clubs who will be safer from relegation next year.
That's about three quarters of domestic senior football.

Dodge
22/11/2005, 11:33 PM
are you seriously saying that domestic football will gain from a positive result for chf:rolleyes:
No, I'm answering the people on here who think that if CHF are promoted it'll be the death of Irish football :rolleyes: "Irish football" will not be changed by the result of this play off. As a contrarian I could argue both sides but I'm hoping DC come up. It'll make me happy and I'm more important than Irish football.

monkey magic
22/11/2005, 11:40 PM
i dont think anyones suggesting that, my point is that rovers, for all the problems thay bring, are still a more entertaining prospect than chf. your own personal feelings aside, surely it must be better for the premier division (i accept what student mullet was saying, but i should have made it clear that i was talking specifically about the prem div) to have games where both teams are cheered on by decent crowds and where a good athmosphere is present. i just cant see that happening with chf

Dodge
22/11/2005, 11:49 PM
As i've said multiple times DC are a horrible worthless club who bring nothing to the league BUT when it comes to football I can'tb eobjective. I view everything from a pats perspective and if Rovers are relegated most Pats fans would **** themselves laughing. Ideally DC would be relegated straight away and replaced by a club like Limerick or Dundalk. Both huge clubs with massive history and equally justifiable claims to have a "right" to be in the premier.

Actually **** Dundalk, I hope they rot in the first too :)

Block G Raptor
23/11/2005, 11:55 AM
Holy sweet Jesus of football,if there is a god then he cant let CHF up in to the premiere division and their 5 fans.

There most certainly is a god He's a season ticket holder at Bohs

It'll make me happy and I'm more important than Irish football.

My Sentements exactly If the Rovers are relegated on friday the world could end saturday and I'd Still Be happy

i dont think anyones suggesting that, my point is that rovers, for all the problems thay bring, are still a more entertaining prospect than chf. your own personal feelings aside, surely it must be better for the premier division (i accept what student mullet was saying, but i should have made it clear that i was talking specifically about the prem div) to have games where both teams are cheered on by decent crowds and where a good athmosphere is present. i just cant see that happening with chf

Im Sorry but those of you outside Dublin just don't appreciate just how much fun it would be for us to see the homeless relegated. Iam sure I'm not alone in saying that it is second only to our own clubs winning the league .........no fcuk it winning the champions league

pineapple stu
23/11/2005, 12:38 PM
I dont think anyones suggesting that, my point is that rovers, for all the problems thay bring, are still a more entertaining prospect than chf. your own personal feelings aside, surely it must be better for the premier division (I accept what student mullet was saying, but i should have made it clear that I was talking specifically about the prem div)
But for the good of "domestic football", as you put it, I honestly think Rovers getting relegated would be beneficial. The Irish Times on Monday didn't have a single mention of the First Division games as usual - despite that it was the final day and places were still on offer. If Rovers go down and this changes, and now the likes of Athlone, Monaghan, etc., etc. find themselves getting a higher profile in the national media, surely that'd be for the good of domestic football?

I think looking at things from the point of view of the Premier Division exclusively is the cause of some of the problems in the eircom League today.

Should make it clear that I've nothing in particular against Rovers. I'd say that for Pat's, Shels, Bohs or Cork as well.

Cosmo
23/11/2005, 1:03 PM
Actually **** Dundalk, I hope they rot in the first:)

Good call :)

Mr A
23/11/2005, 2:25 PM
I think looking at things from the point of view of the Premier Division exclusively is the cause of some of the problems in the eircom League today.

Exactly. If it takes Rovers to go down to change that then it'd be good for the league. However, given that Dundalk being in the first did exactly nothing for the coverage given I wouldn't hold my breath!

patsh
23/11/2005, 7:06 PM
There most certainly is a god He's a season ticket holder at Bohs

I doubt if God spends the entire eL season in hell......

ThatGuy
23/11/2005, 7:08 PM
I doubt if God spends the entire eL season in hell......
Were you in a rush? Did you not have time to call him a little man/baby/child and add in a few smileys? Maybe you are just maturing?