PDA

View Full Version : Another Irish Cricket player vying for England

SaucyJack
21/11/2005, 7:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4452322.stm

Morgan eyes England qualification

Joyce, who had a fine season for Middlesex, is Morgan's role model
Eoin Morgan is hoping to emulate fellow Middlesex and Ireland batsman Ed Joyce in qualifying to play for England.
Morgan - like Joyce a left-hander - was one of the stars as Ireland won the ICC Intercontinental Cup last month.

But he said: "Ed has now qualified for England and, starting next year, that's something I am looking to do as well.

"It will take four years, and a lot can happen over that period, but when I do qualify I will only be 23 so I'll still have a lot of cricket ahead of me."

Joyce became eligible for England in July and was named in the England Academy squad in September.

Despite his England ambitions, Morgan says he is already thinking about the prospect of playing for Ireland in the 2007 World Cup.

The 19-year-old, who is currently at the ICC's winter training camp for players from emerging nations in Pretoria, added: "I was watching England's Test match against Pakistan in Multan this week.

"Seeing Shoaib Akhtar running into bowl made me think of the tournament.

"Ireland are in Pakistan's group in the Caribbean and I was thinking what it would be like to face him myself."

Morgan has impressed Scotland coach Andy Moles, who is leading the camp.

"Eoin is very single-minded in his determination to progress in the game and we have used him as a role model to the other batsmen in the way he goes about constructing an innings," he said.