PDA

View Full Version : Rod Liddle on Keano - vicious

deadman
21/11/2005, 5:19 PM
Anyone read Rod Liddle on keane on the back of Sunday Times...?

most vicious piece on RK that i've read in the last few days
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1879953,00.html

includes:

"If this was a decent world, he wouldn’t get the chance to sign for another club because he’d still be banged up and certainly banned from the game for life."

Liddle a plank

pineapple stu
21/11/2005, 5:23 PM
He gets some amount of letters to the Sports Letter page every week calling him an idiot. Never paid much heed to him to be honest.

SeanieBoy
21/11/2005, 5:29 PM
He's racist against the Irish, simple as that!!

Marked Man
21/11/2005, 6:47 PM
Anyone read Rod Liddle on keane on the back of Sunday Times...?

most vicious piece on RK that i've read in the last few days
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1879953,00.html

includes:

"If this was a decent world, he wouldn’t get the chance to sign for another club because he’d still be banged up and certainly banned from the game for life."

Liddle a plank

I've never read Liddle before, but I did think this myself when all this came out in Keane's autobiography. Perhaps a ban for life would have been too harsh, but surely some sort of ban was called for?

keenanboy
21/11/2005, 7:17 PM
What an absolute plank. As a rule of thumb I wouldn't wipe my ar$e with a copy of the English Sunday Times and in future will now refrain from placing such broadsheets on the kitchen floor while house training my new dog.

The piece stinks of anti-irishness, conveniently, Mick McCarthy, an Englishman is "palpably decent and likeable." Whereas Roy, the brute animal, "smashed the Norwegian’s knee to pieces." I seem to remember even Haaland himself admitting that he had to retire because of damage done to his opposite knee on a previous occasion.

The article is an ill-concieved and unfounded rant but shouldn't surprise anybody out there. To quote the great man himself, you Mr. Liddle, are indeed a "muppet" and you know exactly where you can stick it.

Noelys Guitar
21/11/2005, 7:45 PM
Liddle fancys himself as a bit of a "tough guy". The phony working class cockney accent. Says he supports Millwall. Anyone who has lived in London for any amount of time has met this type of clown. The yuppie trying to be a hardman.

hamish
21/11/2005, 7:55 PM
I remember another thread about this idiot.
He used to write in the G2 section of the Guardian and during the 2002 World Cup, I remember him ranting about Robbie Keane's goal scoring celebrations and how Liddle would like to give him a good slap whenever Robbie did those little jinks.

The picture used with his articles were about 20 years old and made him look like a member of The Cure.

The Guardian fcuked him out the door about the same time BBC 4 fcuked him off their morning news programme.

He also fcuked up his marriage with behavior that would make Jude Law appear like a monk.

I thought at first his opinion was that Ireland and everything Irish was being overly patronised but the more I read his sh!te and listened to him, I came to the conclusion that he's just, basically, a w@nker who craves attention and never able to last the course in whatever job he was given due to his lack of talent. Hence, the chip on his shoulder.

Ireland/anything Irish is just his latest target to whinge about.

beautifulrock
21/11/2005, 8:24 PM
Sir hamish spot on on that little twerp Liddle, Keenan boy understand what you mean about the time but it has the best sports section of the Sundays by far. Also has David Walsh and Paul Kimmage so usually a decent sports read

hamish
21/11/2005, 8:51 PM
Thanks beautifulrock, now that I think about it I notice the Grauniad has jettisoned a lot of the Liddle types lately. David Aaronvitch, that ex-NME clown Julie Parsons and a few others have all taken the Murdoch shilling, so to speak.

They're all middle class Islington-type*** wannabe lefties who think the Iraqi genocide/"war on terror" is justified and I notice The Observer's Nick Cohen travelling in the same direction lately.

***Any Private Eye reader will know what I mean here - I refer to the "It's grim up North" cartoon in that mag's pages.:D

I'm going a little off topic, but the more I think about the above the more fond I get of the likes of George Galloway. Ok, OK, he has his faults and deceits but is there anyone here who didn't enjoy the way he stuck it to Norm Coleman and company in the US last Summer. He did in one hour what the US media should have been doing for years.

BTW, anyone see Galloway's interview in Hot Press. He surprised me when he stated that he believes life begins at conception and was kinda "pro-lifeish". Not very lefty that. LOL:D

Am I being a bit of a grumpy old git but does anyone think The Guardian, while still a pretty good newspaper, has gone a bit off colour over the past few months?? Hard to put my finger on it but it seems to lack that vibrancy it once had. For example, remember those emails it sent to Ohio before last year's US election and the response it got. That was great stuff.

Great new "Berliner" format though.

My favourite journalist at the moment is Gary Younge who writes for it now and again. I think he's brilliant.

EDIT - re that comment, just watched a minute ago, Alan Ruisberger of the Guardian say to Jeremy Paxman that "we're trying to go upmarket a little bit".

noby
22/11/2005, 8:07 AM
I think this is the most important quote from the piece:
"Hugh McIlvanney is on holiday"

In saying that, he has a point about when a footballing matter becomes a police matter. Especially when the footballing authorities appear to not to take the matter as seriously as is required. Being on a football field doesn't make you immune to the law of the land.

OwlsFan
22/11/2005, 9:17 AM
The piece stinks of anti-irishness, conveniently, Mick McCarthy, an Englishman is "palpably decent and likeable." Whereas Roy, the brute animal, "smashed the Norwegian’s knee to pieces." I seem to remember even Haaland himself admitting that he had to retire because of damage done to his opposite knee on a previous occasion.

Having read the article I did not detect one bit of anti-Irishness in it. Also there is no reference to Mick McCarthy being an Englishman, which he's not by the way. In case you didn't notice he played for and captained Ireland on many occasions and his father was from Tallow, County Waterford. He has an Irish passport and Mick McCarthy is a real English name ok. He referred to McCarthy as a decent human being, which I believe he is. You are putting your own slant on the article.

He obviously doesn't like Keane which is his personal choice. I don't like him either. I don't like Denis Wise and Lee Bowyer but that doesn't make me anti-English. To view an attack on Keane for breaking Haaland's leg as racist is not logical.

ColinR
22/11/2005, 9:29 AM
. To view an attack on Keane for breaking Haaland's leg as racist is not logical.

its not racist, but is very weak journalism - as the fact is he didn't break haalands leg anyway

Jerry The Saint
22/11/2005, 9:34 AM
I can't find one objectionable word in that article on Keane. People seem to be letting earlier comments by Liddle cloud their judgement on this piece.

To recap, during a derby game at Old Trafford in April 2001, Keane lunged at Haaland with a despicable and cowardly challenge and smashed the Norwegian’s knee to pieces. It proved to be the last 90 minutes of first-team football Haaland ever played. Later, in his autobiography, Keane admitted that the assault was premeditated and had been motivated by a foul that Keane had perpetrated against Haaland some years earlier and which had backfired.

I don't see how people can see any "anti-Irishness" in this. To be honest, I'm still amazed at how Keane got away with this with his reputation intact, leaving aside the whole Saipan business. And, even worse, this incident was used by many as further evidence of Keane's legend status - the last angry man, the only person not afraid to be honest, blah, blah (ignoring that Keane's defence during his FA hearing was that he never admitted it was pre-mediated and he claimed he was misquoted in his own autobiography...)

The piece stinks of anti-irishness, conveniently, Mick McCarthy, an Englishman is "palpably decent and likeable." Whereas Roy, the brute animal, "smashed the Norwegian’s knee to pieces."

keenanboy, reading that statement again, do you realise how ridiculous it comes across?

NY Hoop
22/11/2005, 1:36 PM
Having read the article I did not detect one bit of anti-Irishness in it. Also there is no reference to Mick McCarthy being an Englishman, which he's not by the way. In case you didn't notice he played for and captained Ireland on many occasions and his father was from Tallow, County Waterford. He has an Irish passport and Mick McCarthy is a real English name ok. He referred to McCarthy as a decent human being, which I believe he is. You are putting your own slant on the article.

He obviously doesn't like Keane which is his personal choice. I don't like him either. I don't like Denis Wise and Lee Bowyer but that doesn't make me anti-English. To view an attack on Keane for breaking Haaland's leg as racist is not logical.

Spot on well said agree 100%.

KOH

hamish
22/11/2005, 4:44 PM

Didn't his dad also play Junior Gaelic football for Waterford, Owlsfan???