PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Season

Pages : [1] 2

ThatGuy
21/11/2005, 11:03 AM
I think that Shelbourne will take some beating next year. They have the best squad in the league, by a mile, and for whatever reason it didn't click with them for a large period this season. In the final series of games they were awesome and (unfortunately) I think that the 2005 season will just have been a blip for them.

Cork City I expect will be challenging for the title again and will strongly fancy their chances of retaining the title. It will be interesting to see how they progress in Europe and what changes Rico makes now that he has time to prepare for the season.

Derry City I am afraid will be one-season wonders, but who knows.

Drogehda United I expect will spend wildly again this winter and it will be very interesting to see how they get on next year. They could be dark horses, but I have my doubts about Doolin and I don't expect much of an improvement.

Bohemians have a lot of work to do this winter but I am hopefull that Farrelly will sort out the side and I think that Bohs will be a lot stronger and more consistent, and will push for a Setanta spot.

dcfc_legend9
21/11/2005, 11:08 AM
"Derry City I am afraid will be one-season wonders, but who knows."

i hope you keep thinking this mate

Block G Raptor
21/11/2005, 11:40 AM
Bohemians have a lot of work to do this winter but I am hopefull that Farrelly will sort out the side and I think that Bohs will be a lot stronger and more consistent, and will push for a Setanta spot.

No arguments on that score .......if we do sign the rumoured players we will be in contention for europe me thinks
if not we could be playing rovers in the first in 2007

EnDai
21/11/2005, 11:56 AM
Depends how many players we let go over the winter I guess, tho there's a few deadweights I wouldn't mind seeing the back of. ;) That said, 34 points from 39 is hard to argue with!

I expect Pats to have improved somewhat next season, maybe its blind nonsense on my part, but I just have a feeling that the extra experience will start to kick in. If they get a goal scorer they will be quite a decent side next year.

Derry, well, after this season it'd be insane to write them off. Kenny has worked wonders up there, and if anything they will be stronger next season.

Cork, if they can hold onto, and improve, their squad then they will obviously be up there somewhere.

Drogs, sorry, but I just don't see it happening!

Bray to achieve another mid-table position and cement their status for a few years to come! ;)

Sligo will be great, probably finishing 6/7 out of 12 I think.

It's hard to talk about relegation etc until we know what way the league will be in 2007, seeing as we don't even know how 2006 will be yet... :)

pineapple stu
21/11/2005, 12:24 PM
And people complain about Christmas ads coming out early!

I agree, Shels should be the team to beat next season - best squad in the league, but just didn't happen for them until a bit too late. However, no reason why Cork and Derry can't push them all the way. Can't see any of the others bridging the gap in any meaningful way.

Best of the rest - hard to tell. Don't expect much out of Drogheda, and that includes progression in Europe. Very ordinary team whose full-time status is the only thing keeping them anywhere near the top. But then, my views on Doolin are well known at this stage (and getting backed up more by the season). Financial problems at other clubs - like Bohs, Pat's, Rovers and Waterford will dictate how well they'll do. Going to have to see what they do during the close season before seeing where they'll finish. Anywhere between fourth and last is a possibility though (Bohs probably high than lower).

I'd expect us to do better next season - fell apart after the two Cup defeats. Bray surprised me - not sure if they can repeat the trick next year. Sligo finished third the last time they were newly-promoted - won't repeat that, but no reason they can't come mid-table. Longford will grind their way to a top-half finish again, I suppose. Actually very hard to see one particular relegation candidate next season.

Cosmo
21/11/2005, 12:28 PM
Don't expect much out of Drogheda

Watch out for drogs next season - an each way bet might be worth a shout :) !!

Reckon shels will be the team to beat though!!

pineapple stu
21/11/2005, 12:34 PM
Not with your strike force containing two of the worst strikers UCD have ever had - and given that we're usually among the lowest scoring teams in the Premier, that's saying something!!

Drogheda should have built on last year but didn't. It's now Doolin's team, he's gotten time and he looks to be all out of excuses. I don't see any reason for a sudden upturn in fortunes next season.

Roo69
21/11/2005, 12:35 PM
Depends how many players we let go over the winter I guess, tho there's a few deadweights I wouldn't mind seeing the back of. ;) That said, 34 points from 39 is hard to argue with!

I expect Pats to have improved somewhat next season, maybe its blind nonsense on my part, but I just have a feeling that the extra experience will start to kick in. If they get a goal scorer they will be quite a decent side next year.

Derry, well, after this season it'd be insane to write them off. Kenny has worked wonders up there, and if anything they will be stronger next season.

Cork, if they can hold onto, and improve, their squad then they will obviously be up there somewhere.

Drogs, sorry, but I just don't see it happening!

Bray to achieve another mid-table position and cement their status for a few years to come! ;)

Sligo will be great, probably finishing 6/7 out of 12 I think.

It's hard to talk about relegation etc until we know what way the league will be in 2007, seeing as we don't even know how 2006 will be yet... :)

Well if we sign the plaers roumered to be on there way to Bray i think we can do very well next season indeed........

Still can't understand why Pats offered McDonnell a new 2 year contract

Cosmo
21/11/2005, 12:43 PM
Drogheda should have built on last year but didn't. It's now Doolin's team, .

I agree with ye - but doolin and the club decided otherwise so so be it - sure we now have our first cup final in 29 years to look forward to :) .

If doolin didnt mess about so much with team selections and found his settled first 11 we'd be flying. We definitely have a great base for next season. If we signed Quigley :p we'd be sorted with the back 5 - probably need 1 or 2 midfielders - 1 quality forward that will link up well with fabio and its game on!!

Add in 3 or 4 quality players and we're definitely going to be up there :) .

Vitruvian Man
21/11/2005, 1:05 PM
Of course it's only after the transfer merry go round stops that we will be able to form any real opinions but...

Challenging for the Title
Cork and Shels the have the squads, experience and money to do it. But with a lot more pressure on Shels. Knowing from experience, if you gamble as much as they are, and fail twice in a row, then your club is fcuked.

Challenging for Honours (Cup or euro place)
Derry, Drogs. My gut feeling is that Derry punched above their weight this year and won't improve no matter who they sign. But they are still one of the strongest teams in the league. I have always felt that Drogs would go no where with Doolin in charge I just don't rate him at all. But they have the resources and, lets face it, after Cork, Shels and Derry there is no-one of any substance in the league.

Mid-table mediocrity
Bohs, Bray, Real Rovers, UCD
Bohs are muck and if if we sign good players we will still be re-building. Not bad enough to get into trouble though, just bad enough to finish 4th-6th. Bray are well managed though the differance between mid-table and relegation struggle will depend on Zayeed. The league needs a strong Rovers and I think they will have momentum from their 1st div win. If UCD sign a striker then they will do well - I rate them highly but they couln't score in the proverbial brothel.

Relegation scrap.
St Pats, Longford, Waterford. Dublin City ;) .
I think Pats just lack quality in so many areas that a few signings won't cover it. I'm not tipping them to go down but they will be closer to bottom than top. I think Longford are losing experienced players and are going to suffer next season - they are a team in decline. Waterford made the great escape, Dolan is gone but he didn't take their problems with him. Dub city are the yo-yo team and I don't think that's going to change.

My League prediction.

Cork
Shels
Derry
Drogs
Bohs
Rovers
UCD
Bray
St Pats
Longford
Waterford
Dub City.

get out to paddy power now

KK77
21/11/2005, 1:28 PM
Well if we sign the plaers roumered to be on there way to Bray i think we can do very well next season indeed........

Still can't understand why Pats offered McDonnell a new 2 year contract

Stephen Kenny, Johnny McDonnell bit of thing developing here with you

Wiseguy
21/11/2005, 1:58 PM
I think it will be another season of mid table for ourselves.If UCD get raided and lose 4 or 5 of their top players they may struggle.I think Waterford,Pats,Bray & Rovers need to sign a few decent players to make any improvement.As for Bohs, they need to assemble a squad to cope with JP Kelly being sent off every few weeks and numerous injuries that they seem to be blighted with.I don't think Paul Doolin has the bottle for a league title so they'll probably tag along behind Shels, Cork & Derry.As for Sligo Rovers,it's great for football that they are back in top flight football again but they may struggle a bit especially if they take a few early hidings but we'll have to wait & see.

Ronnie
21/11/2005, 2:47 PM
Derry were in this postion before and failed to capitalise fully, I think they may go for the slow build up this time around. Cork, Shels to battle out for title. Drogs to make up the top 4.

Below that, Bohs and Sligo to be best of the rest, with Rovers escaping from play offs alongside them. Scrap bewteen the other 5 for staying up.

dcfcsteve
21/11/2005, 2:47 PM
I think that Shelbourne will take some beating next year. They have the best squad in the league, by a mile, and for whatever reason it didn't click with them for a large period this season. In the final series of games they were awesome and (unfortunately) I think that the 2005 season will just have been a blip for them.

What's this nonsense idea everyone seems to have that Shels were awesome when they 'finally got it together' at the end of the year ?

They couldn't beat Cork at home in a key game that they needed to win to keep anything alight for their season ! That suggests to me that they'll be inferior to at least Cork next year. And don't forget that they haven't beaten Derry home or away in their last 8 attempts.

Spanking teams like Bray at home does not make you the best team. Beating the likes of Cork and Derry does. Shels didn't AT ANY PART OF THE SEASON, which is why they finished 3rd.

EnDai
21/11/2005, 2:51 PM
34 points from 39, doesn't matter who its against - that run included every team in the league, irregardless of where the points are from, thats incredible form.

Speranza
21/11/2005, 2:54 PM
:mad: One season wonders! We beat the champions 3-1 and dint lose all season to Shels. After an entire season of getting writen off I have come to the conclusion that it stems from our players not being highly paid prima-donnas.

Almost all of our team haven't reached the peak of their career. Darren Kelly (if he does come home) with Pizza will be rock sold. IMO Barry Molloy has been the best centre midfielder in the league with Joe Gamble this season and he can only improve. Farren and possibly McHugh will make us smash everyones forethoughts again next year.

Terry
21/11/2005, 2:55 PM
Of course it's only after the transfer merry go round stops that we will be able to form any real opinions but...

Challenging for the Title
Cork and Shels the have the squads, experience and money to do it. But with a lot more pressure on Shels. Knowing from experience, if you gamble as much as they are, and fail twice in a row, then your club is fcuked.

Challenging for Honours (Cup or euro place)
Derry, Drogs. My gut feeling is that Derry punched above their weight this year and won't improve no matter who they sign. But they are still one of the strongest teams in the league. I have always felt that Drogs would go no where with Doolin in charge I just don't rate him at all. But they have the resources and, lets face it, after Cork, Shels and Derry there is no-one of any substance in the league.

Mid-table mediocrity
Bohs, Bray, Real Rovers, UCD
Bohs are muck and if if we sign good players we will still be re-building. Not bad enough to get into trouble though, just bad enough to finish 4th-6th. Bray are well managed though the differance between mid-table and relegation struggle will depend on Zayeed. The league needs a strong Rovers and I think they will have momentum from their 1st div win. If UCD sign a striker then they will do well - I rate them highly but they couln't score in the proverbial brothel.

Relegation scrap.
St Pats, Longford, Waterford. Dublin City ;) .
I think Pats just lack quality in so many areas that a few signings won't cover it. I'm not tipping them to go down but they will be closer to bottom than top. I think Longford are losing experienced players and are going to suffer next season - they are a team in decline. Waterford made the great escape, Dolan is gone but he didn't take their problems with him. Dub city are the yo-yo team and I don't think that's going to change.

My League prediction.

Cork
Shels
Derry
Drogs
Bohs
Rovers
UCD
Bray
St Pats
Longford
Waterford
Dub City.

What season are you predicting? Where is sligo and how are both rovers and CHF both in the premier?

Roo69
21/11/2005, 3:00 PM
Stephen Kenny, Johnny McDonnell bit of thing developing here with you

Still following me around the boards picking up on every word i write :eek: Getting a little worried now at this stage, back to the wall time........

No, Kenny has done absolute wonders with Derry this season, Manager of the year by a long way. McDonnell has been usless IMO, some very good players but an extremely poor season, i think most people who know anything about football would agree with that.....

Troy.McClure
21/11/2005, 3:11 PM
I honestly think that Derry wont win the league for 2 reasons: a) Every one will be out to stop them. Ye can look forward to the famous 1-9-1 formation that Drogs play when they come to the X and Longfords even better 1-10 formation spread right across the goal line. and b) One of the players (Forde I think) mentioned that Kenny asked them to put a huge effort in at the start of last season, hence they all moved to Derry and put the rest of thier lives on hold. Forde has already expressed his own doubts about continuing this again next year. Also ye will have to hope that Farren (who's going to be a marked man from the outset next year) can maintain his form, otherwise there could be trouble. You also have to remember that Derry will have Setanta and UEFA Cup games next year, that could feck them royally.

Again I think the title is Shels to loose, but they would do well in getting rid of Eamon Collins and his hoofball. Whether they do or not remains to be seen.

Hopefully City can keep their squad and they shouldnt finish lower than 2nd place.

The Stars
21/11/2005, 3:23 PM
What season are you predicting? Where is sligo and how are both rovers and CHF both in the premier?
what are you on about Sligo are in it......whats our full name SligoROVERS

Speranza
21/11/2005, 3:24 PM
Your prediction is based on guesswork so here are the facts.

Most of our squad and in my view the most talented players are from Derry or the surrounding area - Pizza, Molloy, Farren, Beckett, Mc Court . The players who moved to Derry are now in employment in Derry and have long term contracts - Martyn, K Brennan extended recently the others have 1/2 years to go. Our squad will stay together.

Forde will probably go but only because he wants to study at university.

You seem to think our tactics have been sussed. I didn't know teams only evaluate and attempt to stop our tactics at the start of every season. :rolleyes:

Cork and City will be up there again next season.

lofty9
21/11/2005, 3:25 PM
I'll go for Cork to build on this sensibly with the acquisition of a few quality players. Their consistency over the past number of years has been key and I think it will carry on. Its up to the rest to follow. If we all do it will be to the benefit of the Eircom League in general.

Shels will be up there and their lack of serious European football will benefit them in next years campaign.

The Drogs should get better.

Bohs seem to be in a transition - maybe Farrelly can transform them - he seems to be doing ok there considering what went on preseason in losing a lot of players.

I would love to see Rovers stay up and hopefully get this ground sorted out. If they do stay up then it should serve as a wake up call to all those with an interest in supporting the club - it happened with us!

I think I've went into one here, so I'll stop at the candystripes. Looking forward to next season already. It looks like there will be a few to go, so wages will be freed up for signings. If we see the return of Darren Kelly and Owen Morrison as I've heard rumoured, added to someone who can play alongside Barry Molloy in midfield then I can see us mounting a similar challenge. As long as we have an entertaining season then that'll do me.

KK77
21/11/2005, 3:27 PM
Still following me around the boards picking up on every word i write :eek: Getting a little worried now at this stage, back to the wall time........

The wall better be warned so can't see it holding up......

No, Kenny has done absolute wonders with Derry this season, Manager of the year by a long way. McDonnell has been usless IMO, some very good players but an extremely poor season, i think most people who know anything about football would agree with that.....

Says the fella who said Derry played the best ball all season......yet got a lesson the other night from some team the champions i think they are called....

KK77
21/11/2005, 3:30 PM
You better warn that wall so can't see it holding up...... well if your going to be smart and all......

Roo69
21/11/2005, 3:31 PM
Says the fella who said Derry played the best ball all season......yet got a lesson the other night from some team the champions i think they are called....

Yeah i think they did play better football, at the end of the day Cork were at home and had to attack, they needed the win, Derry did'nt. Cork were the better team on the night but there was absolutey fcuk all between the all season.

How did i get a lesson ? was i playing ? do i support either sides ? explain.....

KK77
21/11/2005, 3:39 PM
Derry got a lesson...... Cork were the better side and played the better football any fool could see that the other night if Derry sat back for the draw surely that says it all regardless of what they needed on the night they actually choked in my opinion which shows they hadn't got what it took to be champs this season. Cork to me played like a side full of confidence and didn't let the occasion get to them. Derry or any other team in the league haven't got players in the calibre of Gamble and O'Callaghan and that was pretty obvious last friday night.

Conor H
21/11/2005, 3:44 PM
Galway Utd will win the 1st Divison.:cool:

Roo69
21/11/2005, 3:45 PM
Derry got a lesson...... Cork were the better side and played the better football any fool could see that the other night if Derry sat back for the draw surely that says it all regardless of what they needed on the night they actually choked in my opinion which shows they hadn't got what it took to be champs this season. Cork to me played like a side full of confidence and didn't let the occasion get to them. Derry or any other team in the league haven't got players in the calibre of Gamble and O'Callaghan and that was pretty obvious last friday night.

About time you actually replied to a post rather than just me. But you'll be soon go back to being an idiot...........

lofty9
21/11/2005, 3:48 PM
RafaB is correct, there is no midfield that can touch Gamble and O Callaghan, on the night (I'm not having a pop at them!) Martyn and to a lesser extent Deery were shown up by these two on Friday night. Don't forget though Derry were without Molloy who is IMHO as good as Gamble.

EnDai
21/11/2005, 3:49 PM
No matter who does what, hopefully it will be another close-run fantastic spectacle of a season!

Roo69
21/11/2005, 3:51 PM
RafaB is correct, there is no midfield that can touch Gamble and O Callaghan, on the night (I'm not having a pop at them!) Martyn and to a lesser extent Deery were shown up by these two on Friday night. Don't forget though Derry were without Molloy who is IMHO as good as Gamble.

Where in any of my posts did i say that Cork, or O'Callaghan or Gamble wer'nt good the other night ? What i said was is that i think Derry play nicer football than Cork........

The Stars
21/11/2005, 3:55 PM
Galway Utd will win the 1st Divison.:cool:
hope ye do......because you will look like an idiot otherwise.if ye can keep O'Dowd fit ye will walk the League.
Alot of people think we will finish mid--table,i would settle for just avoiding relegation at this stage although we will be good next season.

KK77
21/11/2005, 3:57 PM
Where in any of my posts did i say that Cork, or O'Callaghan or Gamble wer'nt good the other night ? What i said was is that i think Derry play nicer football than Cork........

I never said you mentioned them if you read it correctly i was just saying it in general.

KK77
21/11/2005, 3:58 PM
About time you actually replied to a post rather than just me. But you'll be soon go back to being an idiot...........

Again you start a personal attack yet you ban others when they attack somebody personally doesn't seem right.

Conor H
21/11/2005, 3:59 PM
Galway Utd will win the 1st Divison

hope ye do.......
A sligo person hoping we will win the league!:eek: :D
Thanks!

Roo69
21/11/2005, 4:02 PM
Again you start a personal attack yet you ban others when they attack somebody personally doesn't seem right.

And this is not a personal attack.........

"You better warn that wall so can't see it holding up...... well if your going to be smart and all......"

I thought i might have to drop to your level seeing as you normally don't have anything constructive to add to posts. Maybe try replying to the thread rather than just looking for my posts and trying to nit pick at them. you must have a hell of a lot of free time on your hands......

Bald Student
21/11/2005, 4:06 PM
Forde will probably go but only because he wants to study at university.Really?

Speranza
21/11/2005, 4:07 PM
We were as good as Cork all season but on Friday we didn't get going at all that doesn't mean Cork are superior because the close nature of the title run in shows it to be false.

Bald student, he has said he wants to study but then again he has built a house in the west. Also rumours of pre-contract with the scum from Drumcondra.

ndrog
21/11/2005, 4:25 PM
When we lift the cup on dec 4th its gonna give us some momentum going into next season.We have europe and setanta to look forward to aswell.This will hopefully attract some quality players to the club.Think it will be shels and cork battling for top spot next year.With Drogs and Derry scrapping for 3rd.Also think Bohs are gonna struggle big time.

Buller
21/11/2005, 4:31 PM
My League prediction.

Cork
Shels
Derry
Drogs
Bohs
Rovers
UCD
Bray
St Pats
Longford
Waterford
Dub City.

Rovers???
Dublin City???
And when rovers retain premier division status on friday i dont think we'll finish that high in the table next season.;) Although with roddy gone i suppose anythings possible... :rolleyes:

sligoman
21/11/2005, 4:37 PM
My League prediction.

Cork
Shels
Derry
Drogs
Bohs
Rovers
UCD
Bray
St Pats
Longford
Waterford
Dub City.:eek:, What I would give to finish that high:D. Avoiding relegation is our target for next season and then, if we manage that, start planning on moving up the table the following season.

daniel
22/11/2005, 9:04 AM
rafa b catch urself on will ye, its not that Derry were taught a lesson by Cork, in my opinion i feel we made Cork look better than what they are but take nothing from Cork on the night the were outstanding and as the title came down to friday then Cork deserved to win the title because they had more bottle about them, they took advantage of Derry's young players not having the bottle for this occassion and tore them apart, and can i add congratulations to Cork, we as Derry fans are very very gracious in defeat, we seen the better team won and congratulated them now give over and stop actin a w*nker ffs will ye!!

KK77
22/11/2005, 10:47 AM
[ Getting a little worried now at this stage, back to the wall time........

?????

dahamsta
22/11/2005, 11:10 AM
Rafa B, weren't you banned before for acting the maggot on Foot.ie?

Here's the deal fella: You're very specifically going to quit attacking other posters, and you're generally going to quit acting the maggot completely, otherwise you're going to be banned from the site permanently. Then after I've banned you I'll have a word with the system administrator of the network you're coming from, pointing him to examples of your behaviour, and how his resources are being wasted.

Am I making myself fairly clear? Would you like me PM your name and where you work so we can be sure I'm right?

adam

Block G Raptor
22/11/2005, 1:39 PM
No matter who does what, hopefully it will be another close-run fantastic spectacle of a season!

Here Here !!!!

pete
22/11/2005, 2:15 PM
I think title will come down to Shels & Cork City next season. Some key players underperformed for Shels this year so would expect more next year. Cork City can only improve as several young players who we haven't seen the best of yet. O'Donovan was in first season & could be as good as Kevin Doyle.

More than anything else City & Shels have a lot of european experience now as squads so will be able to handle big games like no other teams.

Setanta Cup & Uefa Cup could take a lot out of Drogs & Derry City so will be interesting to see how they go.

Bohs have some great players but too much crap players mixed amoung them - lack of europe & Setanta could give them an advantage in push for european places.

the gap between top & bottom will continue to stretch.

Speranza
22/11/2005, 2:50 PM
So will you explain why we won't be back up despite only missing out on the title? Nothing is going to change at the Brandywell in fact things can only get better. Todays papers talk about us signing Michael Collins (arguably best midfielder in IL) and bringing Darren Kelly home (one of thr best defenders I have ever seen in EL)

lofty9
22/11/2005, 3:16 PM
Next years headlines :

Michael Collins shoots down rebel Army!:D

Block G Raptor
22/11/2005, 3:26 PM
Next years headlines :

Michael Collins shoots down rebel Army!:D

With a sub header: Revenge for Beal Na Blath

daniel
23/11/2005, 9:09 AM
Ye no something am ****ed off wey every1 in the Eircom league, be it referees, fans and officials of other clubs, commentators etc etc and im sure every other Derry fan is aswell because they have written us off all season and are doing so again before the season starts...Pete Derry have a large enough squad to compete in Europe, Setanta and in the League so worry about your own teams fitness because i can assure you now that we won't be beaten in fitness by any team in this league next season, we showed this year we never tired out hence all those late goals, f*ck the lot a ye's coz we'll be back bigger and stronger next year!!!