PDA

View Full Version : Dublin City claim play-off spot

Ringo
19/11/2005, 10:56 PM
Dublin City claim play-off spot
Saturday, 19 November 2005 10:31

Roddy Collins will have to plan for a play-off with former club Dublin City as he bids to ensure that Shamrock Rovers remain in the eircom Premier Division

Dublin City claimed a promotion play-off spot as they overcame Athlone by 3-1 at Golden Island Park this evening.

Robbie Hederman put the side from the capital a goal in front after sixteen minutes. David Freeman added another just after half-time before Austin Skelly grabbed one back for Athlone with just six minutes remaining in normal time.

Derek Pender put the result beyond doubt three minutes later to set up a play-off with Shamrock Rovers to see who will play in the eircom Premier division next year.

Roddy Collins will now take his Shamrock Rovers side to face the club he left in acrimonious circumstances before the end of last season.http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1119/dublincity.html

sligoman
19/11/2005, 11:00 PM
Well done DCFC. Fair play to ye, I suppose in the end up, ye deserve it as Cobh could not hold it, well done and good luck in the play-offs;). We might be playing ye again next season after all:).

EnDai
20/11/2005, 12:47 AM
Sweet! These games are gonna be fantastic! :D

RĂ©iteoir
20/11/2005, 12:54 AM
Roy Keane to sign an exclusive 2 match deal with DCFC for the play-offs?

We could have a whipround for it - 300 of us paying €100 each - €30,000 - nice little bonus for Roy

Ringo
20/11/2005, 5:24 AM
i'll go for that

Anto McC
20/11/2005, 9:53 AM
Dublin City fans,what songs do youse sing,i'll practise them before the games :D

Ringo
20/11/2005, 10:28 AM
when the rod rod roody , goes bob bob bobing along.......

Where's your Roddy gone, wheres your Roddy gone.........far far away( we hope)

thomas
20/11/2005, 10:55 AM
Dublin City claim play-off spot
Saturday, 19 November 2005 10:31

Roddy Collins will now take his Shamrock Rovers side to face the club he left in acrimonious circumstances before the end of last season.http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1119/dublincity.html

Presumably RTE have forgotten all the previous news reports about Alan O'Neill and Noel Synott being in charge of the first team matters??

thejollyrodger
20/11/2005, 11:12 AM
H A H A H A :D :D :D

you couldnt write the script yourself

chippie0001
20/11/2005, 11:29 AM
Presumably RTE have forgotten all the previous news reports about Alan O'Neill and Noel Synott being in charge of the first team matters??

Not really, did Rovers not suspend Roddy for a week, and according to reports that week is up this weekend. So is he not back in charge for Tuesday?

Cosmo
20/11/2005, 11:33 AM
Not really, did Rovers not suspend Roddy for a week, and according to reports that week is up this weekend. So is he not back in charge for Tuesday?

I was just about to start a thread asking that question - anyone able to confirm if he'll be in charge on tuesday? :confused:

manic da hoop
20/11/2005, 11:46 AM
when the rod rod roody , goes bob bob bobing along.......

Where's your Roddy gone, wheres your Roddy gone.........far far away( we hope)

Yeah, we'll really be offended by that one:rolleyes:

If you actually had enough fans to get the chant going we would, in all likelyhood, happily join in!

As for his so-called one week's suspension - what kind of planet are RTE on with that rubbish?:confused: Collins is HISTORY and hopefully will never be seen at a Rovers match ever again. Alan and Noel's Gren and White Army to see off the challenge of CHF and maintain our Premier Division status:)

Roverstillidie
20/11/2005, 12:55 PM
I was just about to start a thread asking that question - anyone able to confirm if he'll be in charge on tuesday? :confused:

follow the sequence yourself:
a written warning, a final written warning, then suspension pending inquiry.
this is often followed by dismissal. :D
just crossing the t's and dotting the i's so the case is legally watertight i would assume.
you dont seriously expect to see shoddy in a rovers dugout ever again do you?

so what will the CHF fans whine about now he is gone? imagine being idiotic enough to think we would somehow be offended by a song about roddy being gone? :confused:

HarpoJoyce
20/11/2005, 1:33 PM
I know the build-up to these matches started over a year ago. But it's a shame Rovers fans are dissappointed that the opposition don't see songs that insult them.

Its almost like hoops fans are annoyed they are not ridiculed.

Rovers fans seem to be very aware of dismissals, no doubt through their own employment history. ( no I don't believe all the rovers posters are employers).

It important to remind SRFC that Constructive dismissal is not the same as dismissal in the Construction industry.

sligoman
20/11/2005, 3:14 PM
Like i promised Cobh wouldn't beat us, good luck in the play-offs now, we did you the favour now its all up to you :)Eh, they did themselves the favour by beating Cobh. They beat Athlone 3-1 so your result with Cobh didn't matter to Dublin City:).

Maynard
20/11/2005, 5:58 PM
:) Ah, last night in Athlone put alot of this seasons bad performances to bed for me. A great night, super atmosphere (the Athlone lads were great craic) and a super-duper goal by Derek Pender to seal the win.

As for Tuesday/Friday all of our songs are fairly easy to pick up, and we'll all be doing our best to sing our hearts out for the lads, they deserve it. We don't have anti-Rovers or anti-any other team songs/chants. We haven't been around long enough to become that bitter (yet) And any anti-Roddy chants will be just that, anti-Roddy full stop.

Hope both games are competitive and keenly fought, I'm sure they will be, and I hope that people will come out to watch the drama unfold.

C'mon City and Up the Dubs!

Mental Man
20/11/2005, 6:34 PM
I might venture up for the game on friday night and i know i will be shouting for rovers i can tell ya.
No disrespect to CHF but they just dont do it for the league like what rovers do!

Buller
20/11/2005, 7:56 PM
Good man Mental Man!
C'mon the ROVERS!!!

blueviking1980
20/11/2005, 8:08 PM
follow the sequence yourself:
a written warning, a final written warning, then suspension pending inquiry.
this is often followed by dismissal.
just crossing the t's and dotting the i's so the case is legally watertight i would assume.

so what will the CHF fans whine about now he is gone? imagine being idiotic enough to think we would somehow be offended by a song about roddy being gone? :confused:

What's done is done... as ya say & can't now be undone. Remember this though, Roddy in charge (past) was bout 60% the reason why ya's are playin us... ya think?

Cosmo
20/11/2005, 8:24 PM

Well the rovers supporters obviously dont want it - so guaranteed he wont be in charge for the play off matches, yeah??

So whats the official line on it? Will they increase the suspension, sack him, etc or what? :confused:

Agree with ye though - just looking for the official line on it!!

Roverstillidie
20/11/2005, 8:36 PM
What's done is done... as ya say & can't now be undone. Remember this though, Roddy in charge (past) was bout 60% the reason why ya's are playin us... ya think?

i think its 100% down to our points deduction. we finished 7th on the pitch, which was about our expectation for the season.

Well the rovers supporters obviously dont want it - so guaranteed he wont be in charge for the play off matches, yeah??

So whats the official line on it? Will they increase the suspension, sack him, etc or what? :confused:

Agree with ye though - just looking for the official line on it!!

im not an official spokesman (you would have never guessed :D )

im sure roddy will get a fair hearing into the numerous questions the board have about his behaviour and comments recently.

my own personal opinion, and that of many other hoops, is he will never manage rovers again, and the board have done taken this course of action, presumably in accordance with legal advice, to ensure we are not done for unfair dismissal. there are very few regualrs on here who believe SRFC arent correct to remove him (im sure there are some who would love him to stay though).

the official line is he is suspended until tuesday, we will hear more officially then im sure. just bear in mind its a legal minefield for the board.

Cosmo
20/11/2005, 8:50 PM
just bear in mind its a legal minefield for the board.

I can understand that, thats why I was asking - good luck with it - but just remember if it doesnt go their way in the next couple of days he could be in charge on tuesday - so theres still the possibility :eek: !!

Ringo
21/11/2005, 7:32 AM
Vikings set sights on Rovers

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1510744&issue_id=13305

Gerry McDermott

DUBLIN CITY have earned themselves a chance to repay Shamrock Rovers for wrecking their hopes of staying in the Premier Division last season.

A few weeks before the end of that campaign Roddy Collins sensationally walked out on the Vikings for Rovers and kept the Hoops in the Premier Division at the expense of his former club.

That move left deep scars and revenge will be in the air when the sides meet at Dalymount Park tomorrow (7.45) and Tolka Park on Friday (7.45) in the two-legged promotion/relegation play-off.

Dublin City claimed their play-off spot on Saturday when they beat Athlone Town 3-1 but they won't find Collins in the Rovers dug-out tomorrow as he has been suspended by his club's Board of Directors until Wednesday when the result of an investigation into Collins will be known.

However, Dublin City boss Dermot Keely believes that Collins absence from tomorrow's first leg has taken a lot of the emotion out of the fixture.

"It would have been a circus, but Roddy is now out of the equation," said Keely who admitted he would have mixed emotions himself. "I was part of the greatest team in Rovers history and I would rather we were playing somebody else," said Keely.

PLAY-OFF SCHEDULE

Tomorrow - 1st Leg: Shamrock Rovers v Dublin City, Dalymount Pk, 7.45. Ref: Paul Tuite.

Friday - 2nd Leg: Dublin City v Shamrock Rovers, Tolka Pk, 7.45. Ref: Damien Hancock.

Schumi
21/11/2005, 12:20 PM
Friday - 2nd Leg: Dublin City v Shamrock Rovers, Tolka PkDoes this mean that Dublin City would play in Tolka in the premier on the off chance that they win the play off?

blueviking1980
21/11/2005, 1:11 PM
Does this mean that Dublin City would play in Tolka in the premier on the off chance that they win the play off?

Nah man I think it's due to us playin a 'then' Prem club... :D

F.I.F.A. licencin laws of grounds etc. means Tolka is most suitable for the game involved.

Maynard
21/11/2005, 4:55 PM
Nah, if we went up we'd be playing out of Whitehall. But the club reckon with the security issue and with the likelyhood of their being increased public interest, Tolka is the safest and quickest solution. Shame really, atmosphere would be white hot in Whitehall.

Buller
21/11/2005, 6:09 PM
Nah, if we went up we'd be playing out of Whitehall. But the club reckon with the security issue and with the likelyhood of their being increased public interest, Tolka is the safest and quickest solution. Shame really, atmosphere would be white hot in Whitehall.
Does Whitehall have any stands?!!!:confused:

Bald Student
21/11/2005, 6:19 PM
I can see the logic but it's a shame the game's not in Whitehall.

Ringo
21/11/2005, 7:11 PM
I can see the logic but it's a shame the game's not in Whitehall.

True. but for security & safety , it has to be Tolka. :(