PDA

View Full Version : Cork take title with stunning display

bigmac
19/11/2005, 12:29 AM
Three stories by Emmet Malone in the Irish Times today about the match last night. Not bad return despite the whole Roy Keane saga (poor Malone must have worked his arse off last night!). Definitely one of the better soccer reporters EL-wise this year.

SOCCER/National League, Premier Division/Cork City - 2 Derry City - 0: To the many people in the game who have notched up reasons to bear a grudge against Roy Keane down the years add the names of the entire Cork City team. Who else, after all, could relegate a first league title for the southerners in 12 years to the status of the day's second biggest soccer story in the area?

At a little before 9.40 last night, however, all that was forgotten by the 7,000 or so who packed into Turner's Cross to see their team triumph, and their jubilation at the end was the equal of the performance they had just witnessed.

Simply, the home side turned in a quite stunning performance, as good as any they have managed this season, and perhaps half a dozen players played as well as they have done this year.

For Damien Richardson, three times a runner-up as a player and three times too as a manager, the monkey was finally off his back. And his team did it as he had predicted as the home side swept forward from the opening second, and almost took the lead in the 25th second when John O'Flynn headed narrowly over.

It was a shock to the system Derry City never recovered from in the first half. Looking stunned by the pace with which the game was being taken to them, they never quite got to grips with things in midfield and were repeatedly reduced to scrambling the ball out of the box to safety as Cork pressed them from every direction, but most notably from the right where Roy O'Donovan resumed his more familiar role thanks to the return of O'Flynn.

The 20-year-old enjoyed mixed fortunes with his attempts to cross the ball, but after George O'Callaghan had sucked both Derry central defenders out towards the other side of the visitors' area before the ball was switched, his 18th-minute effort was perfection itself and O'Flynn stepped up, entirely unmarked, to head the ball past David Forde from a couple of yards.

When the mayhem died down, Derry set about regrouping, but they continued to look second-best with Kevin Deery finding himself overrun in the more defensive of the two central midfield roles, Killian Brennan failing to make the required impact out on the left and Gary Beckett, never mind the more advanced Mark Farren, cutting a remote figure in attack.

Cork's play lost some of its sustained fluency, but there were still flashes of the early brilliance from Joe Gamble, Liam Kearney and O'Callaghan.

Denis Behan did well, too, after being thrown on 10 minutes in for the injured Neale Fenn, but there must have been plenty of anxious moments for Richardson and the rest of the Cork bench early on as they wondered whether O'Flynn would survive the rigours of such a sudden return.

City manager Stephen Kenny kept faith with his starting 11 over the break, but must have been hoping for a swift and substantial improvement, particularly in midfield where his players were finding it impossible to retain possession.

It didn't materialise, although there should have been a boost of a different kind five minutes after the restart when O'Donovan, already on a booking, should have been sent off for a dreadful, lunging challenge on Seán Hargan who, five minutes later, made way for Pat McCourt.

Barely had the midfielder made it on to the pitch or, more importantly, the Derry back four had time to reorganise than Cork won possession and powered into precisely the area where Hargan would have been.

O'Donovan fed Behan who sprinted to the line before cutting the ball back low for Kearney to poke a left-footed shot home from 10 yards.

It could so easily have been three shortly afterwards when O'Donovan broke clear, but Forde saved well with his foot and Eddie McCallion did brilliantly to prevent Behan following up.

Then, finally, came something at the other end for the 500 or so Derry fans to cheer with Gareth McGlynn crossing for McCourt, whose header was good though not good enough to beat Michael Devine who saved quite wonderfully after being wrong-footed.

A goal then might have provided the platform for the visitors to battle their way back, but it wasn't to be and Cork continued to hold the upper hand. Again O'Donovan went close to extending their lead and again Forde saved.

There were other chances too, while in the dying second Devine had to touch a Brennan free on to the crossbar.

But the crowd knew now that the game, not to mention the league, was as good as in the bag.

bigmac
19/11/2005, 12:31 AM
Emmet Malone in the Times

On an emotional night at Turner's Cross Damien Richardson said the quality of the performance his Cork City side produced proved beyond doubt that they are the best team in the country.

"It's not just the landing of the title but the manner of the landing," he said. "It was a big game for us out there tonight but we played wonderfully well. We knew we were the best team but it took bravery to go out there and prove it and that's what every one of the players did."

Derry, he said, deserved great credit for their performances over the course of the season.

"Between us, we showed people that it's not just about Dublin and my hope is that we can go on now and do the rest of the job that we started tonight because this is a great team, a great club and these are great supporters. We've only scratched the surface of the potential."

Of the decision to start with John O'Flynn, the scorer of Cork's opening goal, he said: "It was wasn't a gamble at all. He's a great player and he was ready, he showed that out there tonight. All through the team, though, the players have shown that they are champions. People said that we would have a bad patch but what was there? The defeat by St Patrick's, that was it, our bad patch was one game."

Asked about the prospect of completing the double at Lansdowne Road in two weeks' time, the City boss was emphatic about which half of the achievement meant more to him.

"This is the one that counted, it's the one the club, the county, the whole of Munster wanted us to win. I think there'll be people all over Ireland happy to see us take this . . . we'll worry about the cup another day."

bigmac
19/11/2005, 12:32 AM
Emmet Malone recalls how the champions survived early-season problems at home and a few late jitters to reach their grail

Unlike the team they beat last night to lift the title, Cork City had always been viewed as title contenders back in March when the season started. It wasn't long, however, before their difficulties on home turf were raising questions about their ability to go the distance in the championship race, questions they finally answered when it really mattered.

Cork's difficulties at home were most prevalent during the first few weeks of the campaign, when first Bray Wanderers and then UCD went to Turner's Cross and stole a point. Worse followed in the third home game of the campaign, Drogheda United securing a dramatic win courtesy of a Damien Lynch penalty 20 minutes from time.

At the time there were suspicions Damien Richardson's late arrival at the club that had dismissed Pat Dolan just days before the start of the season had not given him time to add players in key positions, but the manager remained publicly bullish - and sure enough, the results became more consistent.

There were, over the months that followed, unexpected slip-ups at home, against the likes of Longford, Waterford and, most recently, St Patrick's Athletic.

There were more and more big wins too, however, including back-to-back victories over Derry (2-0 at the Cross) and Shelbourne (by the same score at Tolka Park) that underlined the team's ability to bring the championship back to the city after a dozen barren years.

After the Shelbourne game, the team took 26 points from a possible 30, a run that included what Joe Gamble described this week as their best performance of the season, the 5-1 win over UCD at Belfield.

"Nobody in the league could have lived with us that night," he said. In four other games during that spell Richardson's men scored two or more goals.

The 10-match run opened with a 2-0 victory over Finn Harps, a game best remembered for the fact it was Kevin Doyle's last in a Cork City jersey. The club were obliged to let the prolific young striker leave for Reading because of a clause in his contract that had been signed while Dolan was still in charge. He marked the occasion, though, by scoring both goals, his sixth and seventh of the campaign.

Questions were immediately raised about how the team would fare without him, but Richardson dismissed the concerns and the players proved him right by actually stepping up the number of goals per game over what remained of the season.

Throughout the team there were players who stood out for their contributions and others who remained central figures from beginning to end.

In goal, Michael Devine was consistent as ever. Alan Bennett and Danny Murphy were the best two of an excellent back four. George O'Callaghan and Joe Gamble excelled in midfield. And John O'Flynn produced a steady supply of goals until injury sidelined him a month ago.

Roy O'Donovan made a remarkable contribution in what was his first full season at this level, and right back Neal Horgan was the only player to start each and every game of the campaign.

Neale Fenn created some wonderful goals and, over the past few weeks, the team's skipper, Dan Murray, scored a couple of crucial ones from the centre-back position.

The team played six European games but maintained their excellent domestic form right up until the last few weeks, when there appeared the first real signs of a wobble.

A home defeat by St Patrick's Athletic might have proven a fatal setback, but as it turned out Waterford, like the Dubliners battling at the other end of the table to preserve their top-flight status, won at the Brandywell the same night and so the top two were unaffected.

A couple more points were dropped at the RSC, and this time Derry took advantage by beating Bray. But two wins in quick succession at Dalymount, over Bohemians and then Shamrock Rovers, were crucial to keeping them in the race.

Last week's goalless draw at Shelbourne meant they would, after leading the league for so long, have to come from behind if they were to lift the title. But in the end they proved equal to the task, and so Cork's long wait to be champions is over and Richardson finally has the league winner's medal that had, for so long, cruelly eluded him.

sligoman
19/11/2005, 1:46 AM
Wouldn't have called it "stunning" myself but yeah, they won it alright;).

Peadar
19/11/2005, 8:58 AM
Wouldn't have called it "stunning" myself...

You'll get your chance to show us your stunning football next season. If it's anything like your display against us in the cup I don't think there's too much to get excited about. :rolleyes:

Gareth
19/11/2005, 10:12 AM
Well Done Cork. Ha you got a pop up on Foot too. We didn't get that the last two seasons :)

Gareth
19/11/2005, 10:38 AM
Rogue Trader, are ya mad, don't give the Corkies more fuel :) , they will never come down from that. :)

GavinZac
19/11/2005, 10:41 AM
i'm pretty certain we wont win the league next year.
being in the champions league groups at a crucial stage like that will impact severely on a) players fitness and b] caring about UCD away.

Gareth
19/11/2005, 10:58 AM
Gav, counting chickens again? :)

I think Shelbourne will be in a much better position to get our legue title back next season. I think Drogs need to make a break thru. They have got the UEFA Spot right? From the cup? Derry City, will they maintain the form?

GavinZac
19/11/2005, 11:04 AM
Gav, counting chickens again? :)
"Cork Look Set For Title"
Trust me, im usually right.

I think Shelbourne will be in a much better position to get our legue title back next season. I think Drogs need to make a break thru. They have got the UEFA Spot right? From the cup? Derry City, will they maintain the form?

it does seem like a cracker next season again, but we wont be thinking about it for a few days at least :) then we'll get back to the business of signing Corkonians out of contract :D

daveh
19/11/2005, 1:52 PM
I think Shelbourne will be in a much better position to get our legue title back next season.

I think you mean our league title,dont ya:confused::D :D

sligoman
19/11/2005, 5:54 PM
You'll get your chance to show us your stunning football next season. If it's anything like your display against us in the cup I don't think there's too much to get excited about. :rolleyes:No need for that sly comment Peadar. All I said was I wouldn't have called the performance stunning, why, would you have?:confused:

Fair_play_boy
19/11/2005, 6:37 PM
No need for that sly comment Peadar. All I said was I wouldn't have called the performance stunning, why, would you have?:confused:There is nothing like being gracious in victory, sligoman. I read nothing but warm praise by CCFC supporters for Sligo's performance against us in the cup. Maybe you are not neutral enough to admit it, but most of the non-Cork people I spoke with today who watched it on the telly do not normally watch the Eircom League, but next year they might be going to matches supporting their own clubs, just on the strength of what they saw last night.
Think about it. Reactions like yours are begrudging and IMO a little dishonest. They do nothing to support our game. It does not hurt to give praise where it is due.

sligoman
19/11/2005, 6:39 PM
There is nothing like being gracious in victory, sligoman. I read nothing but warm praise by CCFC supporters for Sligo's performance against us in the cup. Maybe you are not neutral enough to admit it, but most of the non-Cork people I spoke with today who watched it on the telly do not normally watch the Eircom League, but next year they might be going to matches supporting their own clubs, just on the strength of what they saw last night.
Think about it. Reactions like yours are begrudging and IMO a little dishonest. They do nothing to support our game. It does not hurt to give praise where it is due.http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=392141&postcount=29

Fair_play_boy
19/11/2005, 7:12 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=392141&postcount=29That poorly thought out answer hardly deserves a reply but I am filled with bonhomie since last night.
So, what is it you are trying to say, that you want me to believe you have a begrudgery gene? That even when you think you are being magnanimous, you still manage to let yourself and your sport down?
Don't they have happy pills in Sligo?

sligoman
19/11/2005, 7:25 PM
That poorly thought out answer hardly deserves a reply but I am filled with bonhomie since last night.
So, what is it you are trying to say, that you want me to believe you have a begrudgery gene? That even when you think you are being magnanimous, you still manage to let yourself and your sport down?
Don't they have happy pills in Sligo?Jesus Christ, this is all being blown out of proportion:mad:. All I said was that I didn't think this performance was stunning. We all cant agree on everything ya know, if we did then life would be so boring:rolleyes:.

Speranza
20/11/2005, 1:42 AM
Please don't judge us on last nights preformance. Remember we beat Cork 3-1 in the Brandy.

Cork were excellent and we were the worst we have been all season. The abscene of Barry Molloy made us lack fire and simple passing in midfield. It's not a case of will we be as good but of the young players we have improving. I guarentee you we will be back.

ccfcgirl
20/11/2005, 1:51 AM
Please don't judge us on last nights preformance. Remember we beat Cork 3-1 in the Brandy.

Cork were excellent and we were the worst we have been all season. The abscene of Barry Molloy made us lack fire and simple passing in midfield. It's not a case of will we be as good but of the young players we have improving. I guarentee you we will be back.Derry had agreat season but even though ye beat us 3-1 . Cork city beat ye 3 times this season:D Not just because Cork City won . I think it was the best end to a season the eircom league saw for years.............:)

sligoman
20/11/2005, 1:53 AM
Not just because Cork City won . I think it was the best end to a season the eircom league saw for years.............:)I'm sure that added to it though, yeah?:confused: :D

A face
20/11/2005, 2:28 AM
Alright lads ... just calm down a bit. Everyone getting aggro wont solve any thing. They were good articles alright .... its good the league is getting this coverage.

dahamsta
20/11/2005, 2:31 AM
I meant to post this last night but I ended up sucking down a few beers in quiet celebration:

We all know I don't watch a whole lot of football, and although when it comes to City matches I've probably run out of fingers to count on at this stage, it's doubtful I've moved past the toes. So I'm not the best qualified person to comment, and I've probably missed some absolutely brilliant football over the years. However that was definitely, definitively, the best I've ever seen Cork City play, and (though my experience is even more limited in this regard) definitely, definitively the best I've ever seen an eL side play.

This was always my big problem with Irish football, that anytime I've actually taken my finger out and gone to a match, the football has been decidely average. Even to an untrained eye like mine, the frequency with which the ball was hoofed a mile in the air, or possession literally handed to the other team on a silver platter, was frankly embarassing. Apart from occasional moments of brilliance that demonstrated that there was magic somewhere, it felt like I was watching amateur teams play.

And of course a lot of the time I was. Irish football didn't have the financial investment to pay good wages, but more importantly the people behind it didn't have the heart to make it look appreciably more than a weekend kickabout. The changes in the League in the last few years have been very much appreciable, I've noticed it both here and on my occasional visits to Turner's Cross. But last night was a revelation. The play was of a level I'd genuinely expect from clubs in that horrendous marketplace across the pond.

I may not be a regular next season, but I'll definitely be there. If they keep that level of play up, I can see a season ticket in my future. So again, well done Cork City, the football ye played last night was astounding for an Irish club. For god's sake keep the pressure on, and do it again next year. There's a season ticket and loads of merch in it for ye... :)

adam

lim abroad
20/11/2005, 2:45 AM
congratulations to cork city,finally the best supporters in the country have something to shout about

A face
20/11/2005, 3:19 AM
We all know I don't watch a whole lot of football, and although when it comes to City matches I've probably run out of fingers to count on at this stage, it's doubtful I've moved past the toes. So I'm not the best qualified person to comment, and I've probably missed some absolutely brilliant football over the years. However that was definitely, definitively, the best I've ever seen Cork City play, and (though my experience is even more limited in this regard) definitely, definitively the best I've ever seen an eL side play.

Good post but i have to say ... City have played better .... Nantes at home was an unreal game .... crisp passing and movement was sublime, and we nearly did it too.

Has to be said though, with the cameras etc. both teams put in a great performance and its only good for the league. I have got texts from mates that confirm that it was a good game (ultimate barstoolers, guys that just wouldn't admit it unless it was true) .... all boads (sp?) well for us all anyway !!

dahamsta
20/11/2005, 4:06 AM
Bodes.

Don't get me wrong, City played very well at the two European games I went to last summer (summer before actually, I think; yes, total fair-weather fan), and the game I watched on the telly recently, but the control I saw last night was just something else. I've seen games in the aforementioned commercial nightmare across the pond that didn't compare; I've seen major international games that didn't compare.

To be fair though, I don't think I saw the Nantes game.

adam

lofty9
21/11/2005, 11:37 AM
Fair play to you guys in Cork. Worthy Champions. Cork City dominated from start to finish. We just didn't turn up and we badly missed Barry Molloy. Deery and Martyn were found out in the midfield being totally outfought and outplayed by Gamble and O Callaghan. I thought Kenny was going to surprise Rico by playing Eamon Doherty from the start to stop Cork from playing but Rico won the battle of minds beforehand doing his Mourinho impression. On TV, the cork fans were amazing and really got behind the team from the off. Unfortunately, I couldn't be there to join in the fun as I didn't get a ticket. Good luck in the Champions League - we'll settle for winning the Setanta (a little more at stake for us in that one!)

Risteard
22/11/2005, 3:52 PM
Doesn't look in too good shape to me.
:D :D :D