PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane

Slash/ED
18/11/2005, 11:31 AM
If you haven't heard the news, he's now a free agent. Now everyone is assuming he'll goto that Scottish team, but I wonder if Rico should make a play for him?

It might sound outrageous but think about it. At this stage in his career money is surely not an issue to him, and he'd make loads on coming home and playing here with sponsorship and the like anyway. Also, he's a very proud Corkman (He's one of those Cork first Ireland second types isn't he? :p ), and coming home would do so much for Cork soccer and domestic soccer in general. He's probably heard of how well City have done in Europe recently and I wonder if the thought of coming home and taking them up a level appeals to him.

Really, why bother signing for Celtic? He'll play a couple of seasons, maybe win the SPL and make the champions league group stages, nothing the club haven't done plenty of times before. He'll make a bit of money but is that important to him at this stage? I just wonder if Richardson really made the right noises to him if he couldn't tempt him to come home, and it would be some boost for the league and City.

Risteard
18/11/2005, 11:39 AM
Reaction to Keanes departure was quite muted in his hometown of Cork this evening where several locals commented. 'Like i couldn't give a shivering fuick about him as long as we win the league tonight'
Another youth threatened 'Well if that laanger makes the back pages the morning after we win the league . . . .

hoopy
18/11/2005, 11:40 AM
Really, why bother signing for Celtic?

Why would Celtic bother signing him?

deadman
18/11/2005, 11:42 AM
i hear it's toss up between cork and chelsea ;)

Drumcondra Red
18/11/2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe Cobh, play-offs beckon....

NY Hoop
18/11/2005, 11:43 AM
Reaction to Keanes departure was quite muted in his hometown of Cork this evening where several locals commented. 'Like i couldn't give a shivering fuick about him as long as we win the league tonight'
Another youth threatened 'Well if that laanger makes the back pages the morning after we win the league . . . .

Good to see some corkies seeing through the traitor..........

KOH

hoops1
18/11/2005, 11:47 AM
Typical Cork or Derry win the Closest league race in years and get
relegated to page 10 of the sports coverage:mad:

ifk101
18/11/2005, 11:57 AM
Typical Cork or Derry win the Closest league race in years and get
relegated to page 10 of the sports coverage:mad:

Roy Keane leaving United is a major international sports story. Understandable that it's going to take media coverage away from the Cork-Derry match.

Block G Raptor
18/11/2005, 12:01 PM
ffs slash/ed give us ten pints of what your fcuking drinking
there is more chance of the pope signing for rangers than his corkness stooping to the level of the eircom league(that I feel would be his opinion not mine)

Slash/ED
18/11/2005, 12:02 PM
Well I don't think it'll happen, but I reckon there's an outside chance and Rico should at least talk to him. If he wasn't at the end of his career then no chance obviously.

Block G Raptor
18/11/2005, 12:12 PM
It Would be magic for the league obviously but I can see him having a few years left at the top. love to see him do a denis law and relegate the B****rds:D
I agree though Rico should make an approach even if just for the international media attention it would bring on the league

Dodge
18/11/2005, 12:31 PM
there is more chance of the pope signing for rangers than his corkness stooping to the level of the eircom league(that I feel would be his opinion not mine)
Sure he started here. If anything when he moved from Cobh to Forest he stooped...

razor
18/11/2005, 12:33 PM
He stole headlines from us during our European run and now he is doing it again. If we win the league and Keane makes the headlines then that rag should be cermonially burned.

pineapple stu
18/11/2005, 12:35 PM
Wonder does he fancy getting a degree? (A proper one, not those honourary ones!):)

Utterly stupid series of events. Let's ask your team captain speak his mind on your own TV channel and then pull his comments when they're too harsh. Another thread here mentions that he turned up for a reserve game as part of his comeback from injury but was told his services weren't needed and to go and speak to Ferguson over it. It was probably going this way anyway, but I can't help but feel he's been very shoddily treated after 12 years.

Block G Raptor
18/11/2005, 12:38 PM
(that I feel would be his opinion not mine)

Did you fail to notice this

I would imagine that roy would see a move from manchester united to cork as some what of a drop
I am a big advocate of the eircom league but i dont live in cloud cuckoo land
like you obviously do :
:If anything when he moved from Cobh to Forest he stooped...

Dodge
18/11/2005, 12:45 PM
Or maybe you just don't get sarcasm?

patsh
18/11/2005, 12:48 PM
Wonder does he fancy getting a degree? (A proper one, not those honourary ones!):)

Utterly stupid series of events. Let's ask your team captain speak his mind on your own TV channel and then pull his comments when they're too harsh. Another thread here mentions that he turned up for a reserve game as part of his comeback from injury but was told his services weren't needed and to go and speak to Ferguson over it. It was probably going this way anyway, but I can't help but feel he's been very shoddily treated after 12 years.
Doesn't Ferguson have "form" carrying on this way?
When Ferguson falls out with you, he cuts you off for good.
All those coaches, players, horse buddies etc. that Ferguson no longer thinks exist?

kingcolers
18/11/2005, 1:15 PM
poor timing out of keano - taking the wind out of city's sails a bit! must be a ramblers thing...

Block G Raptor
18/11/2005, 1:49 PM
Or maybe you just don't get sarcasm?
the lowest form of wit !!:D

any way might be a fun news story if rico did have a go at getting him

derm
18/11/2005, 2:01 PM
Don't think City would want a Rambler's Reject ;)

Block G Raptor
18/11/2005, 2:12 PM
Don't think City would want a Rambler's Reject ;)
:D :D

gustavo
18/11/2005, 3:30 PM
Roy Keane leaving United is a major international sports story. Understandable that it's going to take media coverage away from the Cork-Derry match.

Major international sports story you say ...

Try finding it here then

www.marca.es

*its somwhere towards the bottom of the page.

funnily enough these guys care more about their big match.

Dodge
18/11/2005, 3:34 PM
Yeah but they care more about that big match than anything in the world.

jofyisgod
18/11/2005, 7:16 PM
the best player on the planet without a doubth,

i think he will finish off with celtic.

best of luck roy
a true legent.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...and you can't spell.
I can't believe a Keane thread has infiltrated the City section. He's nothing to do with us....and hopefully never will be.

Schunter Netz
19/11/2005, 1:25 AM
Keane playing for that Glasgow team is such a hoary old notion that the only people who put any store in it are the old man himself and a few Oirish barstool fans who still think his ego over-rides his dodgy legs. The scottish celts dont want him, Wigan might and Cobh can't decide. We won the league tonight with a brilliant midfield, so who cares?

GavinZac
19/11/2005, 11:13 AM
who would we drop for him, joe gamble or george? ffs if we dropped either of them for a dodgy knee-d has been then we'd throwing away the future of the league in exchange for 2 weeks of headlines and a load of man yoo spastics making the whole cross silent like the time they played cobh ramblers.

jofyisgod
19/11/2005, 11:44 AM
The guy is a fool. If he's knocked us off the front pages...:mad:

There's already another Keane thread in here for some reason, so use that.

brine3
19/11/2005, 11:54 AM
some of the people here are unbelievable.

i suppose if Zidane wanted to play for Cork City then we'd tell him that we didn't want a past it has been.

****ing hell, Roy Keane could bring so much to the team it's unbelievable.

GavinZac
19/11/2005, 1:52 PM

yes, we need a player to insult the rest of the team :confused:

jofyisgod
19/11/2005, 2:48 PM
some of the people here are unbelievable.

i suppose if Zidane wanted to play for Cork City then we'd tell him that we didn't want a past it has been.

FFS, he is old, bitter and injury prone. He is not needed. As if he'd even come here anyway...he probably thinks he's above it. If City signed him, it would be the worst decisin ever. I trust Lennox to keep has-beens like Keane away from the Champions Of Ireland.

colm3012
19/11/2005, 2:53 PM
the evening echo in cork today has 14 pages on cork citys league win including front and back pages page 2 and 3 and the first 10 pages of the sports section,fair play to them.

sullanefc
19/11/2005, 3:59 PM
Would Roy and George get on? Would you drop Gamble or George to accomodate him??

brine3
19/11/2005, 7:18 PM
Thanks lads, I've seen the light now. God forbid that Roy Keane might come to City, help us qualify for the Champions League and bring paying punters to the Cross. All these fake muppets turning up and giving money to the club to sit in the stands, who do they think they are.

I hope Lennox will see the light too. :)

Maz
19/11/2005, 7:22 PM
the lowest form of wit !!:D

any way might be a fun news story if rico did have a go at getting him
Highest form of intelligence some would say

Fair_play_boy
19/11/2005, 7:30 PM
there is more chance of the pope signing for rangers than his corkness stooping to the level of the eircom league(that I feel would be his opinion not mine)The man himself is on record as saying he wants to end his playing days with Rockmount, a club which is not very far below the standard of the EL, IMO.

razor
19/11/2005, 8:20 PM
Wonder does he fancy getting a degree? (A proper one, not those honourary ones!):) He'd have to get the Leaving Cert first.

pineapple stu
19/11/2005, 8:26 PM
Nah, there's ways around that!

Examiner had Keane as the front page, but had three pages on the eircom League, including two pages of reports and comments on the Cork-Derry game. Very good coverage, though that's to be expected from them at this stage really.

Troy.McClure
19/11/2005, 11:58 PM
Hmm. He'd be good cover for Gamble (Im pretty sure that at this stage he doesnt really want to be playing too many games). He'd be great publicity for City and stranger things have happened (Nicky Barmbey joined his home town Hull when they were in the old 3rd division). I think if CIty really wanted to get him they would have to take him on as a coach, thats something that he wants that we could realistically offer him. Celtic seem interested though so Id say he'll prob end up there.

Thing is though, would he want to move his family away from England? Isnt the wife English?

jofyisgod
20/11/2005, 10:39 AM
Lads, this will NOT happen. As if he'd join ffs. He'd be after too much money, and i'd prefer we gave JOF and Kearney long, generous contracts than sign a man living off his own hype.