PDA

View Full Version : Croker Park for 6 Nations?

Drumcondra Red
18/11/2005, 11:30 AM
Could this be a reality for next (this) season??? Does work on the North Terrace count as redevelopment??? Interesting!

junkie
27/11/2005, 6:13 PM
No it's definitely not happening even though the IRFU have made a hint they would like to use Croke Park for the 6 nations.

Whatever the rule change was it stated that Croke Park would only be open to ''foreign'' sports once full redevelopment of Lansdowne Road begins.

However it doesn't take alot of cop on to realize that Lansdowne Road is a hideously unsafe ground and I would welcome Croke Park being opened up ASAP on grounds of Lansdwone Road being unsafe. Can't see it happening though!

thejollyrodger
27/11/2005, 6:44 PM
Its never going to happen for next years games... its only italy, wales and scotland by the way

noby
28/11/2005, 7:29 AM
Ireland v France 2007 is penciled in as the first match in Croke Park.

Drumcondra Red
28/11/2005, 8:31 AM
Yes, but the IRFU are classing work on the North Terrace as redevelopment in which case they are entitled to use Croke Park, I'd say chances are it won't happen, great if it did!

By the way jollyrodger, Wales are perhaps the best side in the Northern Hemisphere and reigning 6 nations champs, Scotland will always attract a crowd, Italy being the one that may not seel as well...

gspain
28/11/2005, 10:41 AM
Wales and Scotland would easily sellout Croke Park. Italy would sellout as the first game there but probably not otherwise.

The wording of the amendment to the GAA rules would allow for it to be used but it appears the GAA won't consider it. Relations can't be good either given the frosty press release from "the broken glass spreaders" HQ when the CEO of Munster rugby suggested using the Killarney GAA ground for a Munster match as apparently it is not vested in the GAA.

pete
28/11/2005, 10:51 AM
Its hilarious the GAA get so flustered about any suggestions someone might ask to use their pitches. Surely it matters little who asks as they own the grounds so can decide themselves who they rent to or not...

This has to be uniquely irish situation...

:rolleyes:

thejollyrodger
28/11/2005, 11:18 AM
Will 84,000 people go to see Wales and Scotland and Italy ???

gspain
28/11/2005, 11:31 AM
Will 84,000 people go to see Wales and Scotland and Italy ???

Italy probably not except maybe as a once off. Currently some tickets for Italy go on public sale.

Wales and Scotland -definitely. You can't get tickets for these games with a 49,000 capacity. You need to be a club member - apply long in advance. Thousands of ticketless Welsh and Scottish fans travel too. There is no public sale of these tickets and there may not even be one if they get played in Croke Park.

pete
28/11/2005, 11:53 AM
Italy games rarely sellout at Lansdowne as they the saem price (€70 for stand) as other games. I've heard of some officials giving free tickets for other games if person bought Italy stand tickets as he couldn't get rid of them.

Better facilities in Croke Park might encourage bigger crowd althought tickets unlikely to be any cheaper. Of course will south dublin rugby folks cross the liffey to the wilds of the northside?

gspain
28/11/2005, 1:10 PM
Italy games rarely sellout at Lansdowne as they the saem price (€70 for stand) as other games. I've heard of some officials giving free tickets for other games if person bought Italy stand tickets as he couldn't get rid of them.

Better facilities in Croke Park might encourage bigger crowd althought tickets unlikely to be any cheaper. Of course will south dublin rugby folks cross the liffey to the wilds of the northside?

Attendance at last Italy game in 2004 was 49,250. That is a sellout.

I can't find official attendances for 2000 & 2002. I don't think the 2000 game sold out but 40,000 or so there if I remember correctly. I can't remember re 2002.

Tickets do go on public sale next month and I expect the game to sellout again.

The €70 doesn't appear to be a stumbling block.

pete
28/11/2005, 1:38 PM
I was at either last Italy game or the one before & was absolutely no chance was a sellout. Maybe the tickets were sold but south terrace was half empty. & was p!ssing rain...

I can't be specific about giving away the tickets as might identify the person but its first hand info.

I'm sure the Romania game last saturday was a sellout but only vecause packaged with All-Blacks game.

gspain
28/11/2005, 2:01 PM
I was at either last Italy game or the one before & was absolutely no chance was a sellout. Maybe the tickets were sold but south terrace was half empty. & was p!ssing rain...

I can't be specific about giving away the tickets as might identify the person but its first hand info.

I'm sure the Romania game last saturday was a sellout but only vecause packaged with All-Blacks game.

That was the attendance not the tickets sold. I was at the 2004 game too and it was full. It was definitely sold out. I can remember 2000 too - first game and the crowd was about 40,000. I cannot for the life of me remember anything about the 2002 game eventhough I was there.

Romania game was sold out too as you say packaged with NZ but in no way full.

ticket details here for the game in Feb

http://www.irishrugby.ie/newspage/66909.html

The Irish Rugby Supporters Club is happy to announce that members will be able to purchase a limited number of Ireland v Italy tickets for the RBS Six Nations Championship.

Ireland take on the Azzurri, who ran Ireland close at the same stage in last year's Championship, on Saturday, February 4, 2006, at Lansdowne Road.

The tickets will go on sale exclusively to Supporters Club members on Monday, December 5, at 8.00 a.m. until Tuesday, December 6, at 8.00 a.m.

Any tickets not sold will be released on Tuesday, December 6, at 8.30am, to the general public for sale. The tickets are available at €70, €60, and €25.

If you are not a member of the club, click into the Supporters Club area on the website and join up today.

If you are already a member, simply apply for the tickets through the tickets section on the site. Please note that there is a limit of two tickets per Supporters Club member.

Schumi
28/11/2005, 2:20 PM
I was at the 2004 game too and it was full.
Looked full to me too, thankfully because I would have been completely soaked on the South Terrace otherwise.

patsh
29/11/2005, 3:04 PM
"the broken glass spreaders"
Who are they? :confused:

Superhoops
29/11/2005, 3:29 PM
Who are they? :confused:
Pronnsias O Murchu agus a chairde:rolleyes:

finlma
29/11/2005, 3:43 PM
Even with the north terrace closed I can't see the Italy game selling out. Tickets are €70, €60 and €25. A bit of a rip-off for the quality of game you'll see.

People will be staying away this year due to the quality of rugby being played by Ireland. Its very disappointing - I think we'll win 2 games at most but probably only 1 in the 6 Nations

Schumi
29/11/2005, 4:01 PM
You think we'll lose to Scotland or Italy??

gspain
30/11/2005, 10:00 AM
Pronnsias O Murchu agus a chairde:rolleyes:

Brilliant. :D

finlma
30/11/2005, 10:37 AM
You think we'll lose to Scotland or Italy??

Yep - think we'll loose to Scotland. I was at all 3 Autumn internationals and we are truely awful. It's the worst Irish team I've seen for at least 10 years.

pete
30/11/2005, 11:23 AM
Provincial system worked well when core of good players that O'Sullivan trained like club team for few years until got it right. Provincial system seems to be very poor for developing players as only 3 sides to pick from as Connacht 3rd class citizens.

gspain
30/11/2005, 11:58 AM
Agree we were terrible over the past 3 games. Still think we have too much class for Scotland and Italy. Paul O'Connell and Brian O'Driscoll should also be back.

Think Wales will be tough to beat and hard to see us getting anything from Paris or Twickenham. 3 home wins required for it to be considered a good season. 2 would be a poor season and anything less a disaster.

joeSoap
30/11/2005, 2:00 PM
I think that Scotland, and Italy would be bad for Croker. Scotland don't support their own at home, let alone travel these days, and traditionally Scotland is always the easiest to get a ticket at Lansdowne for. I'd say 60,000 max for the first visit of Scotland, and maybe 50,000 for Italy. Wales would probabaly go very close to a full house. England and France would undoubtedly pack the place.

joeSoap
30/11/2005, 2:01 PM
Think Wales will be tough to beat and hard to see us getting anything from Paris or Twickenham. 3 home wins required for it to be considered a good season. 2 would be a poor season and anything less a disaster.Expect a poor season then....I can't see us beating Wales, and Scotland seem to be trying to rise from the ashes. Thank god Italy are at home...

dcfcsteve
01/12/2005, 12:37 AM
People will be staying away this year due to the quality of rugby being played by Ireland. Its very disappointing - I think we'll win 2 games at most but probably only 1 in the 6 Nations

Six Nations home game attendances aren't greatly affected by how well the team is doing. Firstly, the capacity is so small and there's enough regular rugby fans who's go to watch any aul sh!te. Secondly, for a very large section of the crowd it's a bit of a jolly anyway- a fun day out/**** up. The rugby is almost inconsequential for many.

We'd been rather average in the 6 nations for years up until last year, and I didn't see many empty seats at our home games. Don't be deluded into thinking that there'll be loads this coming year either.