PDA

View Full Version : Rico's Attitude to Derry - As kenny said - is he on medication?

LFC in Exile
18/11/2005, 11:04 AM
Taken from today's Examiner:

Speaking early yesterday, Richardson told reporters: “I think if we can play to our potential we’re a better team than Derry, though they will think differently. It will be a game of contrasts. Derry are quite a defensive team anyway, they tend to sit back and play on the break. They’re a very well organised and honest group of players, and impressive in that respect. But perhaps they don’t play as much football as you would like to see from potential champions.”

The Cork City boss then made bold to predict his counterpart’s team selection.

“I’ll tell you what’ll happen tomorrow. I’ve no doubt that (Pat) McCourt won’t play. Killian Brennan will play on the left and Gary Beckett will play up front. And I know the way Beckett operates, he’ll spend a lot of time in the middle of the park, trying to flood the midfield. They will try and come back and defend, in the way they normally do, and then play on the break. It’s what Derry do, and it’s what they do very well.”

Asked if a Cork victory would be better for the league, Richardson replied: “I think it probably would be, in that the message it would send out would be that it’s possible to be successful playing pure football. And that’s not denigrating Derry City because they are a terrific side; in the semi-final here they were superb. For one period in the second half especially, I thought they were immense.

“But I think, from the Irish professional football point of view, we need more leadership from the powers that be in Merrion Square and from club directors, managers and coaches to say to the players to go out and play football in the proper way. We have to be able now to portray an image based on a product that’s vibrant, not a product based on huff and puff and physicality. Because the talent is there.”

Is Rico for real. First of all, Derry have scored more goals than Cork. Second, Derry play lovely football - their game is not based on huff and puff. They have excellent players and play a nice brand of football. I have not seen as much of them as I have of Cork but I can't see much difference between them in terms of the desire to play 'football'. Third, why slag off your opposition going into such a key game. Another reason to beat them. Is the Kevin Keegan of Irish football losing it again? :ball:

NY Hoop
18/11/2005, 11:21 AM
Not the first time he's done this.

March 2002 before the Cup semi in Dundalk: "Wouldn't it be great to have a Rovers bohs final?" Clown:rolleyes:

But for his sakes they better win it tonight.

KOH

noby
18/11/2005, 11:27 AM
Textbook reverse psychology. All Derry have to do is sit back and draw. Rico says they're gonna sit back and are defensive, hoping Derry come out attacking, playing a "vibrant product" of football. This would suit Cork better.

"Third, why slag off your opposition going into such a key game"

Surely that's the perfect time to slag them off

LFC in Exile
18/11/2005, 12:50 PM
hoping Derry come out attacking, playing a "vibrant product" of football. This would suit Cork better.

Why would it suit Cork? Derry have shown they are more likely to score than Cork are.

patsh
18/11/2005, 12:53 PM
How come you didn't post up Kenny's digs at Rico and his recent illness?

derm
18/11/2005, 1:01 PM
Why would it suit Cork? Derry have shown they are more likely to score than Cork are.

City (Cork) have found it difficult to break down organised defences but can match anyone in an open game, just look at the better away than home record and meanest defense.

lofty9
18/11/2005, 1:02 PM
Rico must be a genius - He has just predicted our line up tonight.:eek: He must have watched us most of the season because K Brennan and Beckett have been our first choice most of the season in their positions (apart from when injured). I really have got to hand it to him - being able to predict our team. :rolleyes: I'm sure he has got the solution to world poverty, and the cure to aids and cancer. He really is too intelligent to be a football manager.

noby
18/11/2005, 1:05 PM
I'm not saying it would suit Cork *more* than Derry, but Cork would prefer an open game to having to try and break down a 10-man defence.

Soko
18/11/2005, 1:08 PM
I'm not saying it would suit Cork *more* than Derry, but Cork would prefer an open game to having to try and break down a 10-man defence.

Thats how I picked it up as well but we'll see. We've been the better side the 2 times so far this year the Cross so I hope it continues.

LFC in Exile
18/11/2005, 1:54 PM
How come you didn't post up Kenny's digs at Rico and his recent illness?

The thread title?

pól-dcfc
18/11/2005, 2:47 PM
Rico is a muppet. I sincerely hope he chokes again.

Come on Derry

JoeSemi
18/11/2005, 4:08 PM
Its a bit naive on Richardsons part getting drawn into making such ill-judged comments just before a game of this magnitude. There seems to be a bit of unease on his part that will probably transfer itself onto the playing field tonight if he's not careful. With Derry sitting proudly at the top of the table who is he to comment on their style of football?

Come on the Candystripes!

hoopy
18/11/2005, 8:48 PM
Anyone wish to change their views?

monkey magic
19/11/2005, 10:49 AM
“I’ll tell you what’ll happen tomorrow. I’ve no doubt that (Pat) McCourt won’t play. Killian Brennan will play on the left and Gary Beckett will play up front. And I know the way Beckett operates, he’ll spend a lot of time in the middle of the park, trying to flood the midfield. They will try and come back and defend, in the way they normally do, and then play on the break. It’s what Derry do, and it’s what they do very well.”

talk bout gettin it spot on! is this man the murinho of irish football:eek: :D

GavinZac
19/11/2005, 10:57 AM
derry just werent good enough. fair play to their fans though, i think i may have ended up kissing someones granny.

patsh
19/11/2005, 6:11 PM
Rico must be a genius .......... I'm sure he has got the solution to world poverty, and the cure to aids and cancer. He really is too intelligent to be a football manager.
So then, those cures for poverty, aids and cancer Damien.....

Troy.McClure
19/11/2005, 11:36 PM
I think if we can play to our potential we’re a better team than Derry, though they will think differently. It will be a game of contrasts. Derry are quite a defensive team anyway, they tend to sit back and play on the break. They’re a very well organised and honest group of players, and impressive in that respect. But perhaps they don’t play as much football as you would like to see from potential champions I’ll tell you what’ll happen tomorrow. I’ve no doubt that (Pat) McCourt won’t play. Killian Brennan will play on the left and Gary Beckett will play up front. And I know the way Beckett operates, he’ll spend a lot of time in the middle of the park, trying to flood the midfield. They will try and come back and defend, in the way they normally do, and then play on the break. It’s what Derry do, and it’s what they do very well.

Good job I didnt read this before the game or it would have taken all the suspence out of it! He got that 100% right.

Appologies can be sent to Damien Richardson, c/o Cork City FC, Turners Cross Stadium, Curragh Road, Cork City, Ireland

Speranza
20/11/2005, 1:09 AM
It's not that we weren't good enough as beating you 3-1 in the Brandy showed we were rather that we didn't show up on the night and Cork played tremendously.

Rico had us well sussed last night. Hit Beckett first day and don't allow him space to turn and feed the wing or Farren.

We'll be back!

A face
20/11/2005, 2:43 AM
Just want to post this (http://corkcityfc.ie/forums/index.php?showtopic=6564) ..... not to stir things up, the opposite infact.

Rico gave an interview on Red FM and was very humble and reserved after the win. There are interviews on the official site if anyone wantsto listen to them.

pete
22/11/2005, 10:13 AM
It's not that we weren't good enough as beating you 3-1 in the Brandy showed we were rather that we didn't show up on the night and Cork played tremendously.

Last friday Derry City were not allowed play by our midfield & defense. Just like when ye won in the Brandywell - ye had too much intensity for us that day.

Ricos comments were spot on & 2-0 flattered Derry City on the night.

LFC in Exile
22/11/2005, 12:35 PM
As the poster who put it up originally I am just finsihed my slice of humble pie. Derry were very disappointing on Friday night and Cork were the only team to play any football. Cork were well worth their win and hats off to Rico, Cork won the game with a lot of style.

At least a Limerick man won man of the match I suppose. :o

daniel
22/11/2005, 12:51 PM
ah j*ysus don't mention hats and rico in the one convo ye'll be having him in depression mode lol