PDA

View Full Version : Engerland WC Squad announced

James
09/05/2002, 1:57 PM
Goalkeepers:
Seaman (Arsenal), Martyn (Leeds), James (West Ham).

Defenders:
Ferdinand (Leeds), Campbell (Arsenal), Southgate (Middlesbrough), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Bridge (Southampton), Mills (Leeds), Brown (Man Utd), Keown (Arsenal).

Midfielders:
Beckham (Man Utd), Scholes (Man Utd), Gerrard (Liverpool), Dyer (Newcastle), Butt (Man Utd), Hargreaves (B Munich), Joe Cole (West Ham).

Strikers:
Owen (Liverpool), Heskey (Liverpool), Vassell (Aston Villa), Fowler (Leeds), Sheringham (Tottenham).

On stand-by: Murphy (Liverpool)

Éanna
09/05/2002, 2:00 PM
Originally posted by James
Mills (Leeds)
So Lee Carsely has got competition for the award of "World Cups most talentless hachetman"

pete
09/05/2002, 2:41 PM
Does look like a squad to strike fear into the likes of France & Brazil.

Whose missing anyway.........as in who just missed out?

James
09/05/2002, 2:47 PM
Danny Murphy
Andy Cole (who announced his retirement on hearing the news)
Le Saux
Both of the Neville kids

i duno.. it all here
players who missed out - from da bbc (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/england/newsid_1976000/1976955.stm)

James
09/05/2002, 2:48 PM
oh yea and soon to be euro champions league winner
stevie maccamaccaman..

joe
09/05/2002, 3:09 PM
does that mean England's first-choice right-back for the tournament is Danny Mills? The wingers are going to have a field-day :D

pete
09/05/2002, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by joe
does that mean England's first-choice right-back for the tournament is Danny Mills? The wingers are going to have a field-day :D

Possibly, although could be Wes Brown who ain't the greatest right back ever.

James
09/05/2002, 3:47 PM
well they were saying Mills would be first choice on BBC 5 live this morning after the squad was announced

kilbrin
09/05/2002, 4:29 PM
Hargreaves (B Munich)

Good to see Sven doesn't ignire overseas players unlike Mick

James
09/05/2002, 4:47 PM
who are you suggesting Mick ignored Kilbrin.. i think the squad that mccarthy picked was very predicatable

Wizzard
09/05/2002, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by James
who are you suggesting Mick ignored Kilbrin..

Less of the who and more of the what Mick ignored, Ireland.
It's ok to look and decide that your not interested but ignoring the country that your team represents is just plain wrong. Did any of you see Mick at any eL games this year? even the cup final?

joe
09/05/2002, 7:23 PM
Originally posted by kilbrin
Hargreaves (B Munich)

Good to see Sven doesn't ignire overseas players unlike Mick

Mick's squad is made up exclusively of oversea players

:confused: :confused: :confused:

kilbrin
10/05/2002, 3:02 PM
Mick's squad is made up exclusively of oversea players
I think you ow what I meant.
And the overseas player was of coure Phill Babb.

Colm
10/05/2002, 4:25 PM
I would personally have gone for Le Saux, Lampard and Parlour ahead of Mills, Hargreaves and Vassell.

Éanna
12/05/2002, 1:36 PM
Originally posted by joe
does that mean England's first-choice right-back for the tournament is Danny Mills? The wingers are going to have a field-day
Not if he gets to them-they'll all be in hospital!

pete
13/05/2002, 11:26 AM
All the talk in the english media in recent weeks seems to be talking down englands chances. Now that Dyer out & (possibly) Gerrard too looks like they won't be as ****y as usual.

Éanna
13/05/2002, 1:15 PM
I still think they have a realistic chance of making the semis with a bit of luck.

joe
13/05/2002, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I still think they have a realistic chance of making the semis with a bit of luck.

I honestly believe we have a better chance of making the semis than they do

James
13/05/2002, 5:01 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

Eanna read this sentence very slowley and carefully

STOP TAKING THEM DRUGS MAN -- THEY ARE DESTROYING YOUR HEAD MAN ;)

england.. come on eanna, they havent got a balanced side, heel even jack charlton said it... they have Mills at right back, and no left sides players..

hell i'd only take Owen and Beckham from them into our side..

Éanna
14/05/2002, 12:42 PM
Hey, I amn't sure whether they will or not, I just think with a bit of luck they can make the semis. Due to the lack of an irish population over here, I usually end up watching the England games rather than the ireland ones and they do play very nice football. i think Eriksson has done a great job reducing the hype this time round - compared to normal anyway- and that will stand to them.