PDA

View Full Version : Swiss v Turkey bust up

blobbyblob
16/11/2005, 9:11 PM
Anyone see the latest on Sky Sports News of the bust up in the tunnel.

The worst i've seen in quiet a while. Im sure there will be plenty more to come on that one in the days to come.

Wonder what way FIFA will handle this one...

M@ttitude
17/11/2005, 12:26 AM
Hopefully they'll ban the Swiss and Turks and put us through :confused: :) ;) can anyone post the vid?

Kowalski
17/11/2005, 1:03 AM
Hopefully they'll ban the Swiss and Turks and put us through

I like your thinking, throw them out, lets start a campaign!

I have'nt got a clip but seen it on Sky Sports, when the game ends the fans start throwing stuff onto the pitch & as the players are running off a Swiss player kicks a Turkish kit man in the leg, then the fair play icon that is Alpay sees this & kicks another Swiss player up the hole & it all kicked off in the tunnel.

as_i_say
17/11/2005, 7:59 AM
the turks are utter scum-the same thing happened when we played them 5 years ago and nothing was done about it. cascarino was assaulted on the pitch by one of them-animals and sore losers. aparently the swiss guy that was hospitalized was kicked in the groin by a turk. so glad the swiss went through.

and their fans hurling everything possible onto the pitch. ban them i say.

HuRya
17/11/2005, 8:00 AM
I like your thinking, throw them out, lets start a campaign!

I have'nt got a clip but seen it on Sky Sports, when the game ends the fans start throwing stuff onto the pitch & as the players are running off a Swiss player kicks a Turkish kit man in the leg, then the fair play icon that is Alpay sees this & kicks another Swiss player up the hole & it all kicked off in the tunnel.

the swiss player(who had kicked the Turkish kitman) is now recovering in hospital after being kicked in the Family Jewells :rolleyes: down the tunnel.
You wouldn't see that on Dream Team!

thejollyrodger
17/11/2005, 8:46 AM
was it just a scuffle or a serious fight ?? I hope switzerland get banned :D

Dotsy
17/11/2005, 8:52 AM
Hopefully they'll ban the Swiss and Turks and put us through :confused: :) ;) can anyone post the vid?

Why would we get to go through when Israel finished above us in the qualifying group

Lim till i die
17/11/2005, 9:02 AM
I realise the Turks probably aren't blameless in this little difference of opinion but who is the Swiss clown who kicked the kitman, in Istanbul, moments after Turkey had been eliminated? :eek:

He should be in deep, deep, doo-doo with Uefa for incitement

finlma
17/11/2005, 9:31 AM
He should be in deep, deep, doo-doo with Uefa for incitement

He's in hospital after a good kick to the family jewels.

Lim till i die
17/11/2005, 9:42 AM

Finally, Sepp Blatter and his cronies take a severe stance on discipline issues :D

Dawn_Run
17/11/2005, 10:37 AM
Cant find much about this on the web, anyone got any news/pics/vid links?

ollie
17/11/2005, 11:37 AM
Cant find much about this on the web, anyone got any news/pics/vid links?

Thursday, 17th November, 2005

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has threatened to ban Turkey from the 2010 World Cup following violence in yesterday's 2006 World Cup qualifier with Switzerland.

A furious Blatter threatened major sanctions against Turkey and said: "Something is going wrong in football. I've never seen anything like it."

Switzerland lost the dramatic second leg 4-2 in Istanbul but advanced to the 2006 finals thanks to the away goals rule.

However, following an ill-tempered game, players from both teams clashed in the tunnel and reports said Swiss defender Stephane Grichting was taken to hospital with internal bleeding.

Swiss manger Kobi Kuhn was also hit by coins thrown from the crowd and press officer Pierre Benoit said the incidents would be reported.

Tuncay Sanli scored a hat-trick for the Turks, who finished third in the 2002 World Cup, but Marco Streller's 84th-minute goal put the Swiss through.

However, the match ended with tempers fraying and television footage showed Benjamin Huggel kick out at a member of the Turkish coaching staff as he ran off the pitch.

Then, former Aston Villa defender Alpay aimed a kick at Streller as the goalscorer went down the tunnel towards the dressing rooms and the trouble erupted.

According to reports, Grichting was taken to Istanbul's Acidem Hospital after being kicked in the groin.

"This is absolutely scandalous," said Switzerland coach Koebi
Kuhn.

"I didn't see what happened in the dressing rooms, but the fact that the Turkish police didn't think for a second about beating up people from Turkish television to stop them filming what was happening says it all about the atmosphere surrounding the end of the match."

HuRya
17/11/2005, 12:00 PM

we should go into business together..see no.5 buddy:)

pineapple stu
17/11/2005, 12:37 PM
The Turks have always been like this - I don't know why FIFA or UEFA haven't taken action against them before. I think after qualification for the 2002 World Cup, several people were killed when fans celebrated by letting off loose shots in the streets. I think also someone dropped their baby from a fifth storey window? Obviously, that can't get them banned as it's not directly linked to the football, but the two Leeds fans, the incidents in the Euro 2000 play-off, the stories Cork City fans tell of their trip to Galatasaray in 1993 (?)...there's far too many of them. England were kicked out of European competition for six years for hooliganism and even Mexico were thrown out of Italia 90 for fielding an overage player in an underage finals tournament - have to take some action against the Turks.

(Obviously not saying the Swiss are blameless, but then they never get involved in things like this, whereas the Turks are constantly getting involved, so I'm assuming that it was the Turks again who started this. Whether that's right or wrong, I don't know.)

Risteard
17/11/2005, 12:42 PM
Turks Out!
Bringing shame on their country again.
And we thought the FAI were bad.
Turkish government should wind up their FA and sort out all those Istanbul fans for once, themselves.

hoops1
17/11/2005, 1:16 PM
Ah what a great night
Didnt Kinsella chuck a water bottle at a swiss player and hes a decent chap
so obviously they are using the sly verbals
not as blatant as the aul turkish free for all
In fairness there is nothing like a kick in the goolies to sort you out
for kicking a very elderly man.
Not one of the Swiss players had the cop on to leave the pitch in the middle
of the referee and the linesmen(probaably the safest place in the ground)
I can just see them now "quick down the tunnel the police are down there
they will save us":eek: :D
if i was a swiss player when that board went up for time added on
it would have been in direct coralation for the time when my hamstring would have pulled to get me off that pitch
the sight of Alpay chasing the whole team down the tunnel( what a headcase/man) on his own and
the carnage Alan Kelly caused in the Denmark Russia match had me chuckling
all day
pure hiliarity

Lionel Ritchie
17/11/2005, 2:06 PM
I think the turks deserve whatever's coming to them but have to wonder about Slack Bladder throwing his orb about on this -I believe he's swiss isn't he? hardly an impartial judge.

Risteard
17/11/2005, 2:18 PM
Thought he was French

Risteard
17/11/2005, 2:46 PM
You're right.
He's Swiss.http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1117/turkey.html

Volltreffer
17/11/2005, 3:52 PM
In fairness there is nothing like a kick in the goolies to sort you out for kicking a very elderly man.
The poor innocent man. :rolleyes:

Have a look at the video and you will see the following:
The Turkish official kicks Behrami (Swiss No. 34). Huggel (No. 14), who has seen this, kicks the Turkish official. Streller (No. 11) ist kicked by Alpay, Huggel gets kicked in the back as well and clings on to Alpay in order not to fall.

Huggel's reaction may not have been very clever, but after all that's happened I can't blame him. By the way, the player who had to be taken to hospital was Grichting and not Huggel.

http://www.streamload.com/shaolinax/Kicking-Beni.wmv

Here's another sample of Turkish fair play at the end of the match summary (4:19):

http://real.xobix.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/spak/450k/spak_20051116_004.rm?start=0:02:15.866&end=0:07:05.501

Fell like listening to the "Swiss national anthem"?

http://real.xobix.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/spak/450k/spak_20051116.rm?start=0:17:51.800&end=0:19:47.607

Risteard
17/11/2005, 4:05 PM
Thanks for the links Voltreffer.

A fuicking disgrace altogether.
Big punishment please.
Out of Euro 2008 will do me thanks very much.

pineapple stu
17/11/2005, 6:33 PM
Fell like listening to the "Swiss national anthem"?

http://real.xobix.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/spak/450k/spak_20051116.rm?start=0:17:51.800&end=0:19:47.607
You were doing well until that point - didn't the Swiss jeer the Turkish anthem in Bern in the home leg as well?

Volltreffer
17/11/2005, 6:51 PM
You were doing well until that point - didn't the Swiss jeer the Turkish anthem in Bern in the home leg as well?
There was as much whistling as is the case in most games nowadays - not more, not less. Nothing compard to Istanbul. I can't find any video.

Anyway, this is the last thing I would personally complain about, I think it's just childish behaviour. The only reason I mentioned it is that the Turks kept complaining about it.

Comic Book Guy
17/11/2005, 6:55 PM
My guess is that FIFA will fudge the whole thing again and some other national team will be on the receiving end of the Turks antics again.
They should be thrown out of the next tournament end of story.
This has happened too many times, I wonder if it had happened over here to some team what would be the consequences?

pineapple stu
17/11/2005, 7:02 PM
There was as much whistling as is the case in most games nowadays - not more, not less. Nothing compard to Istanbul. I can't find any video.

Anyway, this is the last thing I would personally complain about, I think it's just childish behaviour. The only reason I mentioned it is that the Turks kept complaining about it.
True, though I don't think the fact that everyone does excuses it. Any sort of disruption during an anthem is disgraceful and should be clamped down on. Still, as I've said elsewhere, the Turks need sorting out - this kind of thing has been going on far too long.

Also, who thought it would be a good idea to put the silly noises in on the video?!

blobbyblob
17/11/2005, 7:18 PM
http://home.skysports.com/broadband.asp?showclip=yes

Blatter hopping mad

Swiss to be investigated too