PDA

View Full Version : Danes dismantle seven-man Russia (this IS eL related - trust me)

Réiteoir
16/11/2005, 8:19 PM
U-21 Finals Playoff - 16 November 2005 19:00 (local time) - Brøndby - Brondby

Denmark 3 - 1 Russia

Aggregate: 4 - 1
(http://www.uefa.com/competitions/Under21/Teams/Team=57451/index.html)

Danes dismantle seven-man Russia

Wednesday, 16 November 2005 by Peter Bruun from Copenhagen

Denmark reached the finals of the UEFA European Under-21 Championship for the first time since 1992 in comprehensive fashion with a 3-1 victory against a Russia side who finished the match at the Brøndby stadium with seven players on the pitch.

Early shock
Leading 1-0 from Saturday's first match, the Danes were supported by 11, 216 spectators in the suburbs of Copenhagen, but that sizeable crowd was shocked into silence as early as the second minute when the visitors drew level on aggregate. Alexandr Samedov's close-range effort was saved by Danish goalkeeper Kevin Stuhr Ellegaard, but the ball fell perfectly for Yuri Zhirkov, who made no mistake.

Rasmussen response
Russia's lead on the night lasted only six minutes, however, as the Danes quickly regained the upper hand in the tie. Left-back Martin Pedersen broke through on the left before picking out Thomas Kahlenberg with his cross, and from the forward's unselfish lay-off Morten Rasmussen levelled from in front of goal. Eight minutes later the home team were in front, with Kahlenberg again at the heart of the move. The AJ Auxerre forward picked out Kasper Lorentzen with a beautiful crossfield pass, and the ball was quickly and perfectly worked to the overlapping Martin Bergvold, whose low left-foot effort duly found the far corner.

Kahlenberg composure
Both sides had further presentable opportunities either side of half-time, although the Russians, now needing to score twice to stay in the competition, never managed to put their opponents under sustained pressure. Instead the tie was effectively decided 16 minutes into the second half as Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev fouled Leon Andreasen inside the penalty area and Kahlenberg coolly converted the resulting spot-kick.

Four red cards
The Danish striker might have scored his second and Denmark's fourth but his 75th-minute effort was kept out by the post.

With their hopes of reaching next year's finals in tatters, the visitors lost their discipline in the closing stages with Zhirkov, Vladimir Bystrov, Sergei Chernogaev and Aleksandr Bukharov all collecting red cards in the final eight minutes for dissent - while unused substitute Aleksandr Samedov was also sent off from the bench - as the match came to a fractious ending, although that will matter little to the home team.

How is this eL related I hear you shout?

Referee: Alan Kelly
Assistant referee: Ciaran Delaney & Eddie Foley
Fourth official: Anthony Buttimer :D :eek: :ball:

Conor H
16/11/2005, 8:29 PM
Alan Kelly is a prized ******!:mad:

redgav
16/11/2005, 8:39 PM
how was there 7 men ??? is it not FIFA rules that if team goes down to 8 men the game is supposed to be abandoned ???

Réiteoir
16/11/2005, 8:40 PM
No - if they have 6 players the match is abandoned

A face
16/11/2005, 8:41 PM
how was there 7 men ??? is it not FIFA rules that if team goes down to 8 men the game is supposed to be abandoned ???

Could have been a double whammy !! :D

redgav
16/11/2005, 8:51 PM
No - if they have 6 players the match is abandoned

are you sure???? I'm not so sure thats
sheffield united were investigated by the FA and they had 7 men - remember ??? 3 sendings off and then got a guy injured. warnock was supposed to have told the injured fella to go out and get "injured" so the game would be abandoned right

A face
16/11/2005, 8:54 PM
Come 'ere ... were the boys on commission i wonder ?? :confused: :eek: :p

Réiteoir
16/11/2005, 8:57 PM
'Battle of Bramall Lane' abandoned

Sheff Utd 0-3 West Brom
(Abandoned 82 minutes)

Sheffield United's First Division match against West Bromwich Albion was abandoned after the home team were left with only six players on the field.
The Blades had three players sent off and two had to leave the field through injury.

West Brom were leading 3-0 when referee Eddie Wolstenholme brought the match to a halt with just eight minutes remaining

Law 3:
A match may not continue if either team consists of fewer than seven players.

bigmac
16/11/2005, 8:58 PM
Zhirkov, Vladimir Bystrov, Sergei Chernogaev and Aleksandr Bukharov all collecting red cards in the final eight minutes for dissent

Fancy Kelly knowing what w.anker was in Russian!

Réiteoir
16/11/2005, 9:03 PM
Fancy Kelly knowing what w.anker was in Russian!

Разъёба!

Mayo Red
17/11/2005, 12:05 AM
"while unused substitute Aleksandr Samedov was also sent off from the bench"

I suppose it was the only way he could get involved in the game, still it takes a fair effort for an unused sub to get sent off!:rolleyes:

Just when we thought we had seen it all nationwide, the boys go International. Maybe now that the Danes love them so much, they'll keep them, well a man can dream can't he?:)

Student Mullet
17/11/2005, 12:55 AM
Law 3:
A match may not continue if either team consists of fewer than seven players.Is the game then replayed?
If my team is losing can a pile of us go and get sent off to get the game abandoned?
If my team is losing can a pile of us go and injure most of the opposition to get the game abandoned?

EireBadBoy
17/11/2005, 3:43 AM
At least he has nice hair. We don't want any aul' scrawny looking hure representing us now! :p

I always thought it was that if 7 men in total were sent off the game was abandoned - I'll not be long in finding out. FIFA rule book is a riveting read! :D

Dazzy
17/11/2005, 1:17 PM
Maybe the referees of the EL can pick it up EireBadBoy:D

harpskid
17/11/2005, 2:33 PM
Ah so Kelly now makes a balls of himself in Europe now too!!

He's the Longford Town of referees :p :eek:

bluemovie
17/11/2005, 4:04 PM
What's the Russian for "Did your Mammy cut your hair?"

sligoman
17/11/2005, 6:11 PM
What's the Russian for "Did your Mammy cut your hair?"Ваше Мумия отрезало ваши волос?:D

HarpoJoyce
17/11/2005, 7:37 PM
Law 3 The Number of Players
A match is played by two teams, each consisting of not more than eleven players, one of whom is the goalkeeper. A match may not start if either team consist of fewer than seven players.
[that's fewer than 6 + 1 goalkeeper]

Decision 1 of the International F.A. Board
Subject to the overriding conditions of Law 3, the minimum number of players in a team is left to member associations. The Board is of the opinion, however, that a match should not continue if there are fewer than seven players in either team.

Law 7 Abandoned match
An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules provide otherwise.