PDA

View Full Version : This week's Sligo Champion

sligoman
16/11/2005, 1:27 PM
Their is a good few pages about us getting promoted in the Champion this week. Also includes comments from Willie McStay, Steve Cotterill, Padraig Moran and even Don O'Riordan:eek::D

sligoman
16/11/2005, 1:52 PM
Cool what do they say ?Too much to type it all out. Wait til the Champion update their site and I'll post it here then if it's on it;)

sligoman
17/11/2005, 1:44 PM
EX-SLIGO Rovers manager, Steve Cotterill, has expressed his delight with the club's promotion back to the Premier Division, writes Michael Moran.

Now guiding the fortunes of Burnley F.C. in Coca-Cola Championship, Cotterill-who succeeded Laurie Sanchez at the Showgrounds following his unexpected departure in th 1995/ 1996 season-says he still follows the fortunes of the 'Bit O'Red'.

"I have some great memories of my time in Sligo and I really enjoyed it there. I always look for their results," Cotterill told The Sligo Champion.

Having had stints at Cheltenham Town, Stoke City and as Assistant to Howard Wilkinson at Sunderland, Cotterill is highly regarded at Turf Moor as Burnley occupy a position just outside the play-off places in the top half of the table.

And, the former Showgrounds boss also brought them a shock F.A. Cup victory over Liverpool last season.

"I still follow the fortunes of Sligo Rovers. It has been more difficult to do so with them not in the top division, but now that they are in the Premier Division, it will be easier," he added.

Steve said he was aware Rovers had carried out substantial developments at the Showgrounds, including the new western stand.

"I still speak to Padraig Burke on a regular basis. He was probably my best friend in the time I was there and he keeps me in regular touch with how things are going.

"I am absolutely delighted with Rovers getting promotion," he added.

Cotterill managed Rovers to their first final since 1976-1977 when they made it through to face Shelbourne in a two-leg League Cup decider.

An Ian Gilzean goal gave them a lead and when Padraig Moran made it two at Tolka Park it seemed the trophy was destined for the North West.

However, Shels pulled one back and in the final minutes, Stephen Geoghegan equalised to send the game into extra-time and a dreaded penalty shoot-out, with the Dubliners winning in dramatic circumstances.

Rovers had the compensation of an Inter Toto Cup place at season's end and had also reached the semi-finals of the F.A.I. Cup.

There was a scoreless draw at home to Heerenveen of Holland in the Inter Toto and a tremendous three-three draw against Nantes of France.

Rovers made a good start to the league and the signs were encouraging. Little did many supporters know, however, that when they left the Showgrounds after a three-two win over Bray Wanderers in their fifth game on September 28th, 1996, Cotterill would be going out the gate behind them, not to return following his departure from the club for personal reasons.

After another spell with Chris Rutherford in the Caretaker's chair, Cotterill was replaced by Jimmy Mullen, ironically the former Burnley boss and Sheffield Wednesday player.

sligoman
17/11/2005, 1:45 PM
THE last man to lead Sligo Rovers to the First Division title has said he is "absolutely thrilled" that the club has won promotion back to the Premier Division.

Willie McStay, who was in the Showgrounds hotseat when Rovers won the treble of F.A.I. Cup, First Division Shield and the League Championship in 1994, says it is no more than Rovers and their supporters deserve.

Head Youth Coach and Assistant Head of Youth at Glasgow Celtic, McStay has congratulated manager, Sean Connor, the players and the Rovers Committee on their achievement.

"It is great to see Rovers back in the Premier Division. I am delighted they have made it and delighted for the fans," said McStay.

Saturday night's title clincer against Athlone Town brought back fond memories for the former Celtic and Notts County player.

He explains why: "It was ironic that it was Athlone who provided the opposition. I remember we won promotion when we went to St. Mel's Park in March, 1994, and won two-nil."

"The atmosphere down there was electric.It was unbelievable. There was a great crowd down from Sligo and it is something I will always remember," added McStay.

With a number of promising Irish players under his wing at Celtic Park, including one from Castlebar and two others from Dublin, McStay is busy in his twin role at Parkhead.

"I try to keep in touch with Rovers as best I can. Things are going well at the moment and we are in the process of recruiting some players on full-time contracts.

"Sligo Rovers was a big part of my career and I will never forget the time I spent there, or the friends I made," he added.

McStay met the Mayor of Sligo, Rosaleen O'Grady, and other Sligonians when a statue to commemorate Celtic founder, Ballymote native, Bro. Walfrid, was unveiled at Celtic Park.

"I could see that the excitement was certainly building and it is tremendous that Rovers won the title and promotion. I wish them all the best for the future," Willie said.