PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Cup Final

Ruairi
09/05/2002, 10:37 AM
Anyone see the game last night? Quite the good game I have to say. First half was a bit dismal, but the second half was quite entertaining. Jan Koller's goal was absolute class, and Pierre van Plonker's free kick was quite tasty. Referee was shocking though. Dortmund palyed well in the second half, and at times it was hard to believe they were the team with 10 men. I thought they were going to clinch an equaliser.

Good game all in all

MikeW
09/05/2002, 11:03 AM
Yeah it was a good game I thought. Shame about the sending off though, it kind of devalued the whole game. Of course the referee had no option under the professional foul rule, but I think the rule itself is a bit harsh. The penalty is punishment enough because there's no excuse for not scoring a penalty when you can have your fist choice penalty taker take it. Dortmond were doubly punished for what was really just a bit of clumsiness on Kohlers part.

pete
09/05/2002, 11:51 AM
I think the whole last man back rule should be changed. Red card if deliberately bring a player down & yellow if genuine attempt to get the ball.

Overall i think the ref did ok as was very hard game to ref with diving & scuffles all through the game.

Good entertaining game but home advantage i think was the deciding factor in the end.

Seen Dortmunds Rosicky before & he still looks like be world star in years to come. Koller must be a nightmare to mark too.

Éanna
09/05/2002, 1:27 PM
Originally posted by pete
Seen Dortmunds Rosicky before & he still looks like be world star in years to come.
Yeah he's gonna be quality.

gwanyagoodting
11/05/2002, 4:33 PM
I remember Houllier saying that he had saved Liverpool £7 million by promoting Danny Murphy to the first team instead of buying Rosicky. 2 weeks later, Dortmund rejected a £34 million bid from Inter Milan for Rosicky. Makes you think- what if Liverpool had had him last season? After all, he was instrumental in winning the title for Dortmund this season....