PDA

View Full Version : Monaghan Fans

bluemovie
14/11/2005, 4:51 PM
Who are they? How the Hell do they do it?

There are so many back-slapping threads on the forum at the moment, but this is surely the biggie. I know there can't be many of them, but how/why do they do it? UCD, Dublin, etc mightn't have many, but at least they taste success occasionally. Others like Athlone at least have history and there's the novelty value for Kildare. Monaghan had one season that I can remember in the Premier and that was an unmitigated disaster (two wins? and an 8-0 defeat to Galway). If anyone deserves praise it's their fans.

The Stars
14/11/2005, 4:55 PM
True True.There fans are really sound aswell.However the problem of the number of fans is because Monaghan folk want to support Monaghan United...not the Dublin regects who play for them.They are having no luck with this system,where as if they signed and played players from Monaghan they would at least see gates improve and maybe even results.

sligoman
14/11/2005, 4:55 PM
They have the worst defence in Ireland this season too. They conceded 10 against us in all our encounters this season while only scoring 2:D. They haven't got many fans though, but they are a club with potential. They've just started a women's team now too, hopefully they will start to develop good local player's instead of the Dublin ones there at the moment and in a few years start improving and get themselves promoted;)

Conor H
14/11/2005, 5:00 PM
Who are they? How the Hell do they do it?
an 8-0 defeat to Galway)..
Manninons first game....hillarious!:D

Mr A
14/11/2005, 5:02 PM
Damn right.

Off all the clubs in this country, only Monaghan have 'proper cows'. In most grounds you never see any cows, never mind magic ones that can get from one end of the big field to the other without passing through the intervening space.

All Hail Monaghan and their magic moo-cows!

pineapple stu
14/11/2005, 5:04 PM
I saw them glowing in the dark one time - honest!! Just black space behind one goal and the white outline of a cow 30 foot up in the air! Spooky...

hamish
14/11/2005, 5:20 PM
Magic cows?? LOL:eek:

They grow a lot of mushrooms up in Monaghan - you guys are supposed to eat them, not smoke them.

:p :D

Maynard
14/11/2005, 5:44 PM
I have serious respect for these guys. Their numbers are possibly the lowest in the league, but they have some serious diehards who are true Irish football fans. We scored 12 against them and conceeded 2 this year (yet managed to drop 2 points to them:eek: )

They have made some very positive infrastructural improvements, and their bar is great craic (not to mention the infamous "Mon Dogs" that they sell:o
But if they wish to get anywhere in the 1st Division, they should do a mini-Derry and scour the local area and surrounding counties, base themselves within Monaghan (they have the facilities) and stop merely trawling ex-Dublin City and Kildare players.

Big up the Magic Mons (and their Magic Mushies:) )

gustavo
14/11/2005, 5:49 PM
Or a mini Sligo !
our title winning team contained players from Sligo , Galway , Donegal , Mayo and Roscommon .
they were in the Prem i think around 4 years ago but they came straight back down AFAIK

Cosmo
14/11/2005, 8:08 PM
because Monaghan folk want to support Monaghan United...not the Dublin regects who play for them.

Alot of monaghan people say that but unfortunately from my experience its not the case, just an excuse (maybe a monaghan fan might confirm either way but i dont think it is).

My fathers from monaghan and my grandfathers a big fan so I have been there many times even when drogheda havent been playing there, and thus have a soft spot for them.

They'll never get the crowds imo, played with all locals, being in the premier division, etc - theyre just not gona get them up.

A pity really considering there seems to be a big interest in football there - there seems to be alot of supporters clubs of english teams in the town. Go into some pubs on a saturday afternoon there and you'll see that!

Great set up though - has anyone left monaghan town without being forced to buy a lotto ticket? Great deal they got with the astro turf pitches that anyone else would be delighted with - and dont spen beyond their means.

Nice little club, just a pity they dont have the crowds!!

thejollyrodger
14/11/2005, 8:29 PM
Fair play to the magic mons up there in Monaghan, I know they have a small population in monaghan and there is a big GAA thing going on. Their stand has excellent viewing room as well (as opposed to some other attempts in the league)

feo123
14/11/2005, 8:52 PM
In fairness, they only have about 50-100 fans for there home games....but there all sound! imagine what it would be like monaghan -v- cobh or kilkenny!!? not saying that cobh or kilkenny dont ave an away support but they may not travel because its so far away, there would be about 60 people at the matchs then!!

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2005, 9:16 PM
Monaghan used to have a mix of locals ( players like Seamus Finnegan , Mickey Conlon and Paul Forde) Dundalk players ( Eamon Lynch etc) and Newry players( Damien McCorry , Jim Barr and Peter Magee) when they first came into the League and while they did not enjoy a lot of success back then, they had reasonable attendances as there were more players from the area loosely in the side. They did at least as well as the present squad if not marginally better.

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2005, 9:17 PM
Fair play to the magic mons up there in Monaghan, I know they have a small population in monaghan and there is a big GAA thing going on. Their stand has excellent viewing room as well (as opposed to some other attempts in the league)

The GAA fans buy up all the raffle tickets when the Mighty Mons put them up for sale. And they always are supported when they have fund raising social events in the clubhouse. Their actual "support" is not reflected in their attendances.

pineapple stu
14/11/2005, 10:02 PM
I suppose the ground location is about as bad as you can get - it'd be very hard to get schoolkids to head two miles out the town, whereas somewhere like Turner's Cross, the Showgrounds, the Carlisle, any of the Dublin grounds and a lot of others are very accessible. Kilkenny have the same problems and, to a lesser extent, Longford. And it's very difficult to build up a support from scratch - the atmosphere's crap, there's no money for the team, so people don't go, so the atmosphere's crap...

Dick Long
15/11/2005, 12:15 AM
We (Waterford United) lost possibly the first ever play-off to Monaghan in about '92 (are we the only Premier side to go down... did it twice). Anyway they brought down a good crowd to the first leg and I seem to remember there was over 3,000 at the second. They stayed up for a while that time and had decent crowds for a time, so I suppose the potential is there somewhere, just as for example Longford have shown. Who'd have believed their current (recent?) scenario 7 years ago.... when they were the 'Monaghan' of that era.

Snoop Drog
15/11/2005, 2:20 AM
Their actual "support" is not reflected in their attendances.

I used to live in Monaghan (for my sins...) and I think their support IS reflected in their attendances. Locals really don't give a damn about MUFC, business is apathetic about providing support and I question if they have a real future in national league.

I respect them as a club (good facilities, great support for underage football) and as a GAA hater I would love them to succeed if only to undermine GAA a bit but I think the time may come when they "wind down" first team operations, perhaps joining a regional league, and focus on what they do well- developing the underage game.

Squealing Pig pub is my favourite "away tie" pub though!

Lim till i die
15/11/2005, 8:05 AM
In fairness, they only have about 50-100 fans for there home games....but there all sound! imagine what it would be like monaghan -v- cobh or kilkenny!!? not saying that cobh or kilkenny dont ave an away support but they may not travel because its so far away, there would be about 60 people at the matchs then!!

Monaghan Utd v Limerick F.C. 37 in attendance and 4 of those were Limerick fans. The crowd they have though are an absolutely sound, if slightly eccentric, bunch :) . Plus at full time their were about threee times as many people in the bar as there was at the game (nicest bar I've come across on my travels BTW) so no prizes for guessing what keeps the club going.

And remember folks, compared to Limerick in recent years, thay have an almost Real Madrid like league record :o

Ronnie
15/11/2005, 8:13 AM
Dick Long is right on this one, i said it on another thread, Monaghan United were a bigger club than Longford Town 8 seasons ago. Fair dues to those that put the effort in to keep it going but it needs a spark to get a town behind a team, and despite what we may think, results on the pitch don't really matter, for most Longford people it was simply that a manager was appointed who saw a major part of his job as promoting the club in the community, nothing radical in that you might think, but he actually carried it out, and without a shandow of doubt if it can be done in Longford it can be done in Monaghan.

bluemovie
15/11/2005, 1:36 PM
This was posted on irishfootie.net by Lestor_Molestor about this thread.

Still havin feckin problems gettin to post in there but was reading the thread bout Monaghan Fans.

Just wanted to say a few things:

1. Cosmo u r right....the local players thing is just an excuse. This season we have had 15 locals who have played in the senior squad or been on the senior bench. This has been greeted with indifference by the town. Regualrly there have been at least 3 Monaghan lads playing in almost every game. Jim Murphy, Paul Whelan and before he fell ill, Ashley White. Ger O'Callaghan has had 10 starts and come on a few times, Stephen Finnegan has become a regular in the last few months and Simon Douglas had made 3 starts and 3 subs b4 he decided that his future lies with Clones Town... Thomas Heffernan had also his place on the team until illness forced him out. What more can a club do. Also some talented LMC players were offered places to train with the Under 21's with a view to moving up but didnt bother to show up for training. So what are we to do....without our "Dublin Rejects" the club couldnt field a team.

2. Our defence has been a mess this season. There has been a lot of uncertainty and changes due to injuries, illnesses and suspensions. That has to change.

3. Yes we do have a major problem competing with GAA. For some reason the dumbasses of Monaghan think that The Gah are the be all and end all of sport. We have had a fairly good year GAA wise but that is the first time in years that they have had success so to be honest I dont see that success is the attraction.

4. We do have great facilities and a really good Juvenile setup and now have branched into the Womens game. So in some respect we should b the envy of some clubs....I envy the other clubs for their support.

5. Who are the Mons fans? A mixed bag. I personally am a divorced mum of 2 boys and always enjoyed football but when the kids dad wasnt around to take them to games I decided it was time that my boys got involved from the grass roots. Out we trudged to CHP every 2nd week to cheer on our local team. My boys both play for the club now and I work for the club. MUFC has become our extended family and I know that is one of the reasons people enjoy coming here (the away fans love coming here 'cause they always think they can beat us), it is a family club, run by families for other families, yet the other 54,950 people in the county just dont get it. It drives me mad.

6. We love our Cows....but planning permission has been granted for a housing estate where the Magic Moos graze so their days are numbered. When that happens, it mite b time for Mons to move too and sell CHP. I would hate to sit in a concrete jungle environment. Being at a game in CHP feels good for your health.

Ok thats it for now, only coz I need sleep, (feckin antibiotics have me knackered)....oh and next time you ask for a Mon Dog ask if they have any mushrooms to put on it!

"Magic Mons forever"

Mr A
15/11/2005, 1:48 PM
We love our Cows....but planning permission has been granted for a housing estate where the Magic Moos graze so their days are numbered.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diamond
15/11/2005, 5:14 PM
the worst thing about monaghan united is lestor molestor.
drove me away from my own clubs forum after putting daily stupid threads that had nothing to do with DUFC
terrible advertisement for female football fans. turned me off mufc for life.on forum looking for a boyfriend i think

Snoop Drog
15/11/2005, 8:06 PM
drove me away from my own clubs forum after putting daily stupid threads that had nothing to do with DUFC
terrible advertisement for female football fans. turned me off mufc for life.on forum looking for a boyfriend i think
:D :D :D

iceman
15/11/2005, 9:51 PM

Have to agree Diamond , some of the rubbish that she posted is unbelievable and got the same feeling that she was after a boyfriend. Looking for too much attention and has a reply for everything. No wonder she is banned from here.

sligoman
15/11/2005, 9:56 PM
No wonder she is banned from here.Dont think she's banned, she never joined in the first place, that's the problem she's having.

sligoman
16/11/2005, 3:23 PM
Lestor asked me to post this for her in her defence:

I was going out with someone when I started posting there and then after that started seeing a guy from Drogheda who doesnt go to the football or on the forum. I admit some of the stuff I posted was drivel but boredom made me want to liven things up. If they go back to the Drogs board now they will notice I rarely post. Its so feckin tough being a woman in football coz everyone always assumes if you flirt or have a bit of fun that this is the only reason u r in there. Feel like screaming!!

diamond
16/11/2005, 3:54 PM
i sure as hell dont think that all women follow football to flirt with men.just her!

iceman
16/11/2005, 6:23 PM

Dont think anyone minds her posting once she sticks to the topic and cuts out the obvious flirting.

Snoop Drog
16/11/2005, 9:11 PM

Don't worry about it LM- You certainly don't have to excuse yourself to the likes of us ;)

Clones Road Cas
17/11/2005, 9:21 AM
Some very nicethings said

Our support is bigger than that but there is a serious image problem in the club, partly to do with playing squads not being localand partly to do with results.

One of the biggest problems for us in terms of developing a local team is the lack of an under 18s league in the region. after u - 16 the kids have to go elsewhere or jump straight to under 21 as there is no competitive league for us to enter. Thats a major drawback

The two mile out of town thing isnt a huge problem, we now have 9 other Monaghan United teams playing at underage and other levels. We also have the astro park. This isnt a eircom league club, its a community club that has an eircom league team.

The only real issue I wouldtake in all of tis is with snoop dogs assertion that we wont be round. There's going to be no more get out of jail free cards for clubs that dont manage their finances from the FAI (or at least we hope there wont be). There will be a lot of clubs go to the wall before we do. We're living within our means and are being supported by fans and the local business community.

Snoop Drog
17/11/2005, 10:43 PM
Fair point CRC regarding living within your means but I still question the size of your fan base and the desire within your community for a national league team (I take your point though that other clubs are in a worse off position than yourselves).

I just think that some clubs should look at what they really want to achieve. Do you want to develop the game in your area through youth development or do you want to focus on promotion to the premier league and cementing your position in top level football? The latter takes alot of money which will affect your youth development. I think some clubs (not just Mons) should look at the bigger picture and clearly identify their primary objectives and if achieving these goals means not paying Dubs to play for ye and ultimately not playing in the el, then so be it.

Derek
17/11/2005, 11:57 PM
Nice club, Nice people, good time in the bar after we played them, that says a lot. No hassle, No fuss just football and a fun time.