PDA

View Full Version : Foot.ie Awards

KR's Post
14/11/2005, 2:33 PM
Slash/Ed are you going to do this again this year? Maybe make it a sticky so more people can actually complete it. Was good last year but not many people done it!

pete
14/11/2005, 2:35 PM
Should have a discussion on suggested awards here first?

hamish
What's a sticky????:confused: :confused:

gustavo
Sticks the thread to the top of the page so it doesnt get lost!

KR's Post
14/11/2005, 2:37 PM
Should have a discussion on suggested awards here first?
Same as last year Pete!

Troy.McClure
14/11/2005, 2:38 PM
Which are????

KR's Post
14/11/2005, 2:46 PM
Which are????
EL Player of the year
Div 1 Player of the year
EL Young player of the year
Div 1 Young player of the year
Most improved team
Best manager

Irish international teams player of the year
Best new cap
International young player of the year
Best goal
Best save
Best uncapped Irish player

Hero of 2004
Villian of 2004
Most under rated player
Most over rated player
Best chant
Most amusing moment
Moment of the year

Speranza
14/11/2005, 3:10 PM
Most of the posters are from Cork so would it be a fair reflection of fan's opinions e.g. Kenny should clearly get manager of the year even if we lose on Friday but delusionary Cork fans will say Rico

superfrank
14/11/2005, 3:16 PM
Most of the posters are from Cork so would it be a fair reflection of fan's opinions e.g. Kenny should clearly get manager of the year even if we lose on Friday but delusionary Cork fans will say Rico
Agreed but then again there's not many Kilkenny\Kildare\Waterford\Drogs fans here so the opposite would apply.

Dodge
14/11/2005, 3:23 PM
In fairness I don't think any Cork fans will deny Kenny's the best manager this year. Rico's doen a fine job but Kenny has transformed Derry.

A face
14/11/2005, 3:32 PM
In fairness I don't think any Cork fans will deny Kenny's the best manager this year.

cant argue with that ... but yeah, maybe some ground rules ... no voting for your own kinda thing !?! i dunno ... how will we work it ?

Lads, will we wait till next week to get stuck into this ??

superfrank
14/11/2005, 3:39 PM
EL Player of the year
Hero of 2004
Villian of 2004
Most under rated player
Most over rated player
Best chant
Most amusing moment
Moment of the year
I don't know about you Tarz, maybe you're recovering from Friday night but eh I think it's still 2005!;)

KR's Post
14/11/2005, 3:42 PM
I don't know about you Tarz, maybe you're recovering from Friday night but eh I think it's still 2005!;)

Ye true but i copied and post them from another thread and forgot to change them!

pete
14/11/2005, 4:07 PM
Are ye suggesting that Rico would not be manager of the season with double & 3 rounds of Uefa Cup behind him?

Speranza
14/11/2005, 5:07 PM
I certainly am. Rico has taken on a team which were succesful in Europe the previous year and second in the league.

Kenny well if we were a child he would have adopted the scrawny cheeky ginger reject!

sligoman
14/11/2005, 5:18 PM
Are ye suggesting that Rico would not be manager of the season with double & 3 rounds of Uefa Cup behind him?Yes indeedy;)

Dyl10
14/11/2005, 6:03 PM
Are ye suggesting that Rico would not be manager of the season with double & 3 rounds of Uefa Cup behind him?

Kenny doesnt have the resources rico does and not to mention rico did it with Fat pats team;)

joema
14/11/2005, 7:34 PM
Manager of the year,
Pat Scully is worth a shout too but admitedly he didnt do it for the full season.He has done very well for such an inexperienced manager though. Tough one to call between Kenny and Rico. Rico just shades it though in my opinion because Kenny didnt have the distraction of European football. Both would be worthy winners though.

sligoman
14/11/2005, 7:40 PM
Pat Scully is worth a shout too but admitedly he didnt do it for the full season.He has done very well for such an inexperienced manager though.If that's the case then what about Sean Connor? His first season in charge too and he won the league;)

Drumcondra Red
14/11/2005, 8:39 PM

He hasn't won the double and only actually got through 3 rounds of the UEFA Cup

Soko
14/11/2005, 9:21 PM
He hasn't won the double and only actually got through 3 rounds of the UEFA Cup

Which is why this thread is a little premature. Agh **** it, it'd pretty delusional to vote a double winning manager as the best so just give it to Kenny now.

patsh
15/11/2005, 8:01 AM
The fact that Rico took over a team just 3 weeks before the season started, in a bitterly divided club with a bitterly divided team, and has taken them to the Cup final, 3 rounds of the UEFA cup and still in with a chance of the league on the last day should not be a reason why he might be considered, and probably every other manager in the eL has done a better job than him.

Dodge
15/11/2005, 8:31 AM
As usual you miss the point patsh. Nobody is saying Rico hasn't done a great job BUT he had a lot of resources to work with. Kenny had nothing to work with and has performed miracles with that Derry side. Even if Cork win the double I'd still say Kenny deserved it more. Why must the league winner automatically get Manager of the Year

pete
15/11/2005, 9:34 AM
Why do people think Rico has a lot extra resources than Kenny?

Because he has good players he has to constantly battle to get them to resign contracts before someone pimps to the Uk.

A face
15/11/2005, 10:42 AM

Because he has good players he has to constantly battle to get them to resign contracts before someone pimps to the Uk.

That true .... its like he has this big fat bad angel sitting on one of his shoulders, ill-advising all the players at every possible opportunity :eek:

Dodge
15/11/2005, 10:57 AM

I meant it in the sense of players. He didn't have to do much to the squad. Any manager could've taken Cork to a top 3 position. I doubt many would've taken Derry there.

Block G Raptor
15/11/2005, 11:26 AM
Im With Dodge
Im sorry we ever got rid of Kenny .......but thats life at a club thats run by its members people power speaks even if the people are occasionally W@nkers

Any way top chant has to go to bohs for the oompa lumpa chant at Stephen O'Brien Last week
and funniest moment was when O'Brien then proceded to walk around the area on his knees doing the oompa lumpa shuffle
The man is pure class Love us to sign him ................as mascot!

Troy.McClure
15/11/2005, 4:59 PM
Voting 2005

A face
15/11/2005, 5:01 PM
Voting 2005

Troy .... i edited this ..... you are meant to send your votes to Slash !!

I could be on my own here but ..... should we wait till the weekend to sort out the categories and actuall votes !!

patsh
15/11/2005, 8:45 PM
As usual you miss the point patsh. Nobody is saying Rico hasn't done a great job BUT he had a lot of resources to work with. Kenny had nothing to work with and has performed miracles with that Derry side. Even if Cork win the double I'd still say Kenny deserved it more. Why must the league winner automatically get Manager of the Year As usual, have to get your petty little dig in.
Kenny has LOTS of resources, this is the guy who could splash out €10,000 for Stephen O'Flynn.
Kenny has done a great job, but you'd swear he took over a side of cripples that were playing in their bare feet with balls of paper.
The FACT is that he took over an excellent squad, and was given plenty of money and support to expand it, and make the club full-time. He also had a good part of last season to sort out his style of play and who he wanted/didn't want.
He is a good manager, not the miracle worker some of you are trying to present him as.

Speranza
15/11/2005, 9:29 PM
Your facts are not at all accurate!

Kenny took over a team which had preformed consistently atrociously!

The term "full-time" isn't neccessarily true because I'm almost certain that players were not given increased wage despite training every day.

Slash/ED
15/11/2005, 11:19 PM
Slash/Ed are you going to do this again this year? Maybe make it a sticky so more people can actually complete it. Was good last year but not many people done it!

If nobody objects I'd have no problem running it again this year. Though I have to say, A Face probably put more into it than I did last year and deserves alot of credit, the power point presentation was all down to him really.

I'll wait until the seasons over, including play offs and the cup final though. The off season is long enough so there's no need to rush into it.

Last year I set up an e-mail account for it to send votes into so I'll do the same again this year, but in the e-mail you have to state your username and then post a reply in the voting thread confirming you have voted so there's no double votes. Also I think last year we had a no voting for your own team policy, if there's no objections to that I'd say it would be the best thing to do or there will be complaints of weighting towards certain teams in the voting.

So any ideas or anything stick them here or PM me or something. I'll open up a thread on it after the seasons over where people can decide on the best categorys and stuff like that, then open the voting.

patsh
16/11/2005, 8:00 AM
Your facts are not at all accurate!
:rolleyes:
Which ones?
Did he not pay €10,000 for O'Flynn?
Did he not insist the team move to Derry and train full-time?
Did the Derry board not give him money ad support?

Which one of those is inacccurate?

And did a great job to get them playing so well, as the talent was there, and he drew it out. That team weren't cripples were they?

The term "full-time" isn't neccessarily true because I'm almost certain that players were not given increased wage despite training every day.
Where in my post did I claim they were given increased wages? They train every day, players are not missing games because of work commitments, they are a full-time outfit.

It's always good to claim that someone else has been inaccurate, because you can just spew out any old sh*te yourself then. :rolleyes:

Kenny has done a great job with the squad that was there, and the money he was given to strengthen it. He has as much, if not more resources than Rico, he did not perform a miracle, he did not create something from nothing with nothing.

Drumcondra Red
16/11/2005, 8:59 AM
I am shocked, imagine Corkies having a chip on their shoulder about something and disagreeing with the rest of the country???

(You do understand scarcasm down there, don't you???)

razor
16/11/2005, 9:23 AM
You know when you see someone on TV and as is human nature you make a judgement call as to whether you like them or not.
Is is just me or is there something sneaky looking about Stephen Kenny.
Not taking away from the mans achievements with Derry but theres just something about him I don't like, lets hope thats all.

Macy
16/11/2005, 9:29 AM
You shouldn't be allowed to vote for your own club in any category. It's a waste of time otherwise.

Rico and Kenny have both done well. Kenny gets it imo, whatever happens as he's had to sort out Derry from a relatively poor position. Rico basically just had to tweak an already decent team. I'll repeat, it's not to down play what Rico's done, just that Kenny's done more imo.

Drumcondra Red
16/11/2005, 9:53 AM
There is no question about it, he is very sly/ sneaky looking, doing a great job though!

Any chance that power point presentation is still around???

Schumi
16/11/2005, 1:51 PM
You shouldn't be allowed to vote for your own club in any category. It's a waste of time otherwise.
Agreed. I assume you can nominate stuff to do with your own club though.

pineapple stu
16/11/2005, 6:02 PM
True. Don't forget that two seasons ago, UCD missed a penalty in injury time in Waterford. Had we scored that, Derry would have been relegated. Kenny took over midway through the following season with only just ahead of Dublin City, I think. That's some turnaround in 18 months.

monzo
17/11/2005, 4:05 PM
I had done one on OTF - little success with it so twas going to post it in here, but Tarzan was quicker :(