PDA

View Full Version : Newry

Macy
14/11/2005, 11:32 AM
Up in Dundalk on business tomorrow, and might have time for a spin to Newry. Was thinking of using it to get the Christmas booze in, but are there significant savings to be had in the supermarkets?

Any directions to the shopping centre appreciated too...

drinkfeckarse
14/11/2005, 2:48 PM
Never been to Newry but would imagine it's more or less the same as here. The drink in the supermarkets here is hard to beat I'd say. All of the big shops like Tesco,Somerfield,Asda etc compete with each other so you always get great deals.

24 cans of Stella for £9.99 is my personal favourite:D

Dodge
14/11/2005, 3:12 PM
Miss Dodge's folks go up every couple of months. Convinced it saves them millions. When I worked it out for them they saved about 50 euro (which they paid for petrol) Not worth it IMO (oh and they bought a lot of own brands stuff)

I'm sure if you were just getting beer and not picky about your brandd you could save some but then you might do the same at Aldi/lidl

Green Army Girl
14/11/2005, 3:12 PM
Never been to Newry but would imagine it's more or less the same as here. The drink in the supermarkets here is hard to beat I'd say. All of the big shops like Tesco,Somerfield,Asda etc compete with each other so you always get great deals.

24 cans of Stella for £9.99 is my personal favourite:D

Stella "reassuringly cheap" more like. Wish we had deals like that here. Cant beat a few cans of dutch gold.

Nothing much in Newry apart from the big shops never been up there other than for a bit of shopping.

This link should be a bit of a help with directions

http://www.buttercraneshopping.co.uk/findus/index.asp

holidaysong
14/11/2005, 3:19 PM
Go to Sainsbury's in the Quay's Shopping centre. It's the shopping centre on your right as you come in the Dundalk-Newry road. That is where I get my stuff. It is worth it if you are buying a good bit plus they take Euro.

drinkfeckarse
14/11/2005, 3:34 PM
Stella "reassuringly cheap" more like. Wish we had deals like that here. Cant beat a few cans of dutch gold.

Stella is more expensive than other lagers on draught over here but you always get crates of bottles or cans for that price or a pound or 2 more. It's stronger than other beers but its a great drink in fairness:) :D

Gerrit
14/11/2005, 11:45 PM
Nice charming place, Newry. Reminds me that I still have to pay Newry City a visit.

Macy
16/11/2005, 7:51 AM
Didn't have time in the end...

Wouldn't go up especially, as as Dodge says I'd reckon you'd spend what you'd save on petrol, but was tempted when I heard the beer savings. The ones that we were training reckoned big savings on Groceries and Beer stg£14 for a crate of carlsberg (if you like the rotten stuff) for example. However, you'd wonder why they're dunnes and tesco in Dundalk if it was that much cheaper.

Lionel Ritchie
16/11/2005, 9:51 AM
Curleys offie next to Dunnes is very good. I regularly take a spin up to get Newcastle Brown Ale (bottles) and it's very good value for tins of beer (miller is my own pref) and wine.

Coming from Dundalk -go through the first roundabout and onto the second (railway station/Camlough) and head for the town center from it. Straight all the way down the hill, straight through roundabout at bottom of hill, Dunnes and Curleys are on your right.