PDA

View Full Version : Meteor v O2

Ash
14/11/2005, 8:49 AM
I know some of this was brought up in the roaming costs thread but just
wondering has anyone here switched from O2 to Meteor and noticed
a considerable difference (signal and cost)

O2 bills are hitting fairly hard so myslef and girlfriend considering switching
to Meteor. Free txt Meteor 2 Meteor and all that jazz.

Also whats the story with keeping your number. I asked in a Metoer shop
and they said something about cancelling everything except your contract
with O2 in order to keep the number? Not quite sure what they ment cos I assumed Id have to cancel the contract to switch networks!?!?

Any ideas?

Green Army Girl
14/11/2005, 9:07 AM
I actually switched from Meteor to 02. I couldnt get a signal with the meteor phone until i got into Dublin City.

That was a few years ago now so maybe they have got better but i havent got any clue how the keeping the same number thing goes.

Sorry that didnt really help at all

Dodge
14/11/2005, 9:30 AM
Meteor use the O2 coverage apparently. They pay to piggyback on it so they should have the same coverage. A mate went from O2 (bill) to Meteor pre pay and kept his number. Think he phoned them a day after he got it and the change over was fairly smooth...

noby
14/11/2005, 9:56 AM
GAG, their coverage outside Dublin has been improving over the last couple of years.
And, as Dodge said, where there is no coverage, you switch to O2 automatically, with no extra cost to you, but at considerable cost to Meteor, I believe.

Green Army Girl
14/11/2005, 3:17 PM
GAG, their coverage outside Dublin has been improving over the last couple of years.
And, as Dodge said, where there is no coverage, you switch to O2 automatically, with no extra cost to you, but at considerable cost to Meteor, I believe.

Interesting. When i was at home the other day i get a message from vodafone saying my inbox was full but im an o2 customer so does this mean that 02 switch to vodafone when they cant get coverage.

superfrank
14/11/2005, 3:31 PM
Switched from O2 to Meteor and saved a bomb. The free text dealie fits my life perfectly.

Ash
14/11/2005, 3:51 PM
Cheers for all the info everyone.
Reckon I'll make the switch a.s.a.p.

Gerrit
14/11/2005, 11:58 PM
I was with Meteor when I lived in the Republic. Their rates for international calls are extraordinairy. However, their reach is not 100%. Whenever visiting the Wicklow Mountains or the coast I had problems.

I now have O2. When I moved to Northern Ireland I just asked the man in the phone shop which trademark had the best deals, and he said it'd be O2. Very cheap calls within the UK indeed, but my texts and calls abroad cost quite much. There should be deals for us Northerners to phone the ROI for local tariff.

Risteard
15/11/2005, 12:01 AM
Free txt Meteor 2 Meteor and all that jazz.
Is this gone now?

I switched to Vodafone to go travelling for the summer, came back and my free meteor to meteor texts were gone.

Maybe its just bill phone now or something?

anto eile
15/11/2005, 7:23 PM
free meteor are back until 2008, for new customers. as im with meteor years and years now i get fre texts for life, and other texts are 9 cent, and i switch for free to O2 in non-meteor areas, ie derry and down the middle of nowhere in rural ireland,like small towns like ballybofey edgeworthstown and cork

its DEFINITELY worth the hassle of switching over.

what you need to do, is call/call into O2 or vodafone shop,tell them youre swithching over.theyl give you a number to uloc your phone.then yu insert a new meteor simcard into your phone.youl keep your number,but have a new network.its not much hassle at all

ollie
17/11/2005, 11:30 AM
Interesting. When i was at home the other day i get a message from vodafone saying my inbox was full but im an o2 customer .

the exact same thing happened to me yesterday and today.i was with vodafone over 3 years ago like.:confused:

so does this mean that 02 switch to vodafone when they cant get coverage.

i doubt it.i got the message in cork city centre or very close to it and i'd say all of the network's coverage would be strong there.

Green Army Girl
17/11/2005, 12:32 PM
the exact same thing happened to me yesterday and today.i was with vodafone over 3 years ago like.:confused:

i doubt it.i got the message in cork city centre or very close to it and i'd say all of the network's coverage would be strong there.

It would have to happen in the two best citys in Ireland, madness:D

nismo
17/11/2005, 12:56 PM
free meteor are back until 2008, for new customers. as im with meteor years and years now i get fre texts for life, and other texts are 9 cent, and i switch for free to O2 in non-meteor areas, ie derry and down the middle of nowhere in rural ireland,like small towns like ballybofey edgeworthstown and cork

its DEFINITELY worth the hassle of switching over.

what you need to do, is call/call into O2 or vodafone shop,tell them youre swithching over.theyl give you a number to uloc your phone.then yu insert a new meteor simcard into your phone.youl keep your number,but have a new network.its not much hassle at all

im in the same boat anto..were loyals!:D

jorge
18/11/2005, 10:08 PM
ill be switching anyway,its cheaper and irish.
also,eircom will be taking over which means they'll probably get cheaper.

monkey magic
19/11/2005, 3:34 PM
ieircom will be taking over which means they'll probably get cheaper.

dont know bout that:eek:

switched from o2 to vodafone recently cos there was a good deal if you moved up to 3g (100 euro off the fone) and i was curious about the whole full music downloads/video calling thing... biggest mistake of my life! the reception is attrocious, apart from the fact that 3g services are not available outside towns/cities(which i knew) but in general the reception is shocking for the "biggest" operator in the country.. espically in sligo.. anyone know what 3 are like?? or are they a complete waste of time...

Ash
21/11/2005, 2:49 PM
Well I just switched from O2 to Meteor at the weekend
so I'll let you know on the 15th of next month if theres
much of a difference in my bill.

Cheers everyone for all the info

Ash
14/12/2005, 12:26 PM
As promised, an update.
Got my 1st Meteor bill and it turned out to be
less than half the cost of my previous O2 bills :eek:

Nice extra few quid in the pocket coming up to Christmas
and I havent had any coverage problems so far :D

Thanks for all the info etc posted.

AidoM
14/12/2005, 6:09 PM
As promised, an update.
Got my 1st Meteor bill and it turned out to be
less than half the cost of my previous O2 bills :eek:

Nice extra few quid in the pocket coming up to Christmas
and I havent had any coverage problems so far :D

Thanks for all the info etc posted.

I might take the same route. Any problems with coverage??

Raheny Red
14/12/2005, 11:11 PM
This could be of some benefit to you I hope:

http://www.callcosts.ie/home/default.asp

Ash
15/12/2005, 8:45 AM
I might take the same route. Any problems with
coverage??

I havent had any bother so far and I've been around the Midlands,
Dublin and Cavan during the month I've been with Meteor.

Girlfriend reckoned the signal went a bit weak around Granard, but
I think they're still using smoke signals there ;)