PDA

View Full Version : Dublin City v SRFC?

Pages : [1] 2

chippie0001
12/11/2005, 8:12 PM
DC 4-1 up and Cobh only drawing at present. This will be some grudge game if it Happens. Keely v Collins, Seery v Collins etc etc. Probably the biggest crowd Dublin City will ever get too cheering them on.

Anto McC
12/11/2005, 8:50 PM
Probably the biggest crowd Dublin City will ever get too cheering them on.

I'll more than likely be going anyway :D

Slash/ED
12/11/2005, 8:52 PM
Me too. I really don't want to see Dublin City promoted but if it's a play off between them and Rovers, Seery relegating Roddy will be too good a prospect to ignore.

Mental Man
12/11/2005, 8:54 PM
This is deffo going to be a cracker,talking about wheel coming full circle, i will be there to see this 1,but to be honest i would like to see Rovers stay up as dublin city add SFA to the league.

blutil
12/11/2005, 9:02 PM
wonder will roddy bring in jeremy goss or someone for the game ?

chippie0001
12/11/2005, 9:03 PM
Well thats that. Dublin City win away to Athlone next week and they are in the playoff.Given that I am a bitter Bohs fan I will be there cheering on Dublin City but really can't see Rovers losing to them over 2 legs. However given its going to be such a grudge match who knows.

Conor H
12/11/2005, 10:34 PM
Dublin contribute nothing to the league...70 fans and it would be terrible to see them in the premier,although i'd love if shams got relegated.

EnDai
12/11/2005, 11:22 PM
Would be fantastic matches, but for the sake of the league I'd rather Rovers stayed up. For all the bad mouthing that goes on about their fans and this and that, there's no contest between who I'd rather have between them and CHF.

MrJoeSoap
12/11/2005, 11:22 PM
At least Dublin Citys 70 fans won't be causing trouble every couple of weeks.

Derek
13/11/2005, 1:10 AM
C'Mon City, who said 70 fans. that means our numbers have grown by thirty since the "Roddy on Joe Duffy show". Whatever you think about Dublin this will be a fantastic coulpe of games to decide who stays up/goes up, I am sure it will be us who get the promotion slot and can't wait to visit the bigs clubs again.

What does "SFA to the league" mean? is it super foötball always as I know you did not mean something rude as it is against the foot.ie rules.

Derek
13/11/2005, 1:12 AM
I wish oh wish we could have Rovers in the play offs,

Well you can't:)

hoopy
13/11/2005, 8:51 AM
At least Dublin Citys 70 fans won't be causing trouble every couple of weeks.

Muppet

Mental Man
13/11/2005, 9:30 AM
Exactly HOOPY, Rovers to stay up thats what i want, its not their fault that they were deducted points because of unscrupolous dealings by McGuire and Co.
I have the highest respect for the lads in the 400 club and i know a few of them,they deserve to stay up and hopefully move into their new ground.
I know some people dont like Coddy but i get a kick out of him and to be honest he is doing his best with the resources he has at hand.
Christ look at us this year, 3 managers and 1 advisor:D and 2 chairmen and now just 1 director ie.. Martin Colbert who is club secretary,director and chairman all in 1, what a guy, should be a statue of him put up in the city square downtown:p .

CMON ROVERS.....ye deserve it!!

Anto McC
13/11/2005, 10:22 AM
What happened after the Rovers-Shels game in Dayler this season was the last straw for me

F*ck Rovers,I hope they rot in the first division

C'mon Dublin City

Dodge
13/11/2005, 10:38 AM
Are people seriously saying they wouldn't **** themselves laughing if Rovers lose the play off?

And you call yourselves proper fans.... ;)

Anto McC
13/11/2005, 10:59 AM
Are people seriously saying they wouldn't **** themselves laughing if Rovers lose the play off?

I will be and i'll dance on their grave too

Derek
13/11/2005, 1:17 PM
F*ck Rovers,I hope they rot in the first division
C'mon Dublin City

Well said!

bigmac
13/11/2005, 1:25 PM
Shams definitely add more to the league, but from the point of view of a struggling club, I think it'd be easier survive next year with 2 first division clubs in the league so I'll be wearing my carroll's jersey and cheering on city!

A face
13/11/2005, 1:33 PM
I will be and i'll dance on their grave too

Thing is though .... if Rover did actually go down, i would think that they would go straight back up. The 'new energy' that the 400 brought to the club would ensure that imo !!

Mr A
13/11/2005, 2:11 PM
It'd be interesting to see how Rovers would cope with relegation. The loss of revenue from gate receipts would be massive (especially with no derbies left). It could be that going down would be the making of Rovers as it would give them breathing space to sort out the more important matters like the ground, or they could end up being the next Dundalk (i.e. a big club who fail to come to terms with the lower division).

The first division needs a healthy Shamrock Rovers!

As for Dublin City- the fact that Ronan Seery on his own can basically raise enough to get a team close to promotion for the second time is a huge tribute to the man, and a bit worrying for all the other clubs!

Dr.Nightdub
13/11/2005, 2:18 PM
I'm probably in a minority here, and the likes of Sheridan & co will probably slag me off for all the wrong reasons, but if the playoff does turn out to be Rovers v CHF, I hope Rovers stay up.

Last week in Richmond was what it's all about for me - a big crowd, plenty of noise and atmosphere, something to play for to keep the nerves jangling, the joy of sticking it to them in a derby match, bragging rights and slagging rights with mates afterwards. It felt like a proper night of football, in fact from Waterford away through to Cork away through to Rovers in Richmond and then up in Derry last night, the whole of the last month has felt like proper football.

CHF coming up would offer none of the above. If it was Rovers v Cobh in the playoff, which now looks unlikely, I'd probably put on my malicious hat and enjoy slagging Rovers if they went down, cos at least Cobh would bring something different to the Premier. Unfortunately, the prospect of two trips to Whitehall next season just doesn't get the pulse racing.

Mental Man
13/11/2005, 2:35 PM
Fair play you hit the nail on the head,with rovers you more often than not get a good game and good crowds, i said it before that the league needs rovers in it.
I for 1 will be shouting for rovers in the playoffs, good luck to them.
Dublin city offer nothing at all,no fanbase and to me the name dublin city fc is enough.
Rovers have a tremendous history in LOI and and it would be a disaster if they did go down.
I honestly think too they will win the playoffs easily.

manic da hoop
13/11/2005, 2:38 PM
I'm probably in a minority here, and the likes of Sheridan & co will probably slag me off for all the wrong reasons, but if the playoff does turn out to be Rovers v CHF, I hope Rovers stay up.

Hardly surprising coming from a closet Rovers fan such as yourself;) That said, I hope alot of the so-called neutrals do come out in support of CHF, as it will at least make it a bit interesting seeing as their presence will make up for the lack of support that Ronan Seery will bring. Let's hope they're a bit vociferous in their support too, as we need something to get our pulses racing, otherwise we run the risk of our players forgetting just how important these two matches will be, although, somehow, I get the feeling there will be plenty of Rovers fans well capable of reminding them if it starts to go all pear-shaped!

If it wasn't ourselves in this position there's no question I'd be up for ANYONE against that effort of a football club. If we go down you'll all miss us when we're gone, definetly the First Division's gain, and the Premier's loss. It may seem like a bit of a contradiction, but the more you hate us the more you should want us to stay up!

Conor H
13/11/2005, 2:44 PM
Lads i know Rovers are crap but CHF are worse.They're ****e and they only bet us once this year..we gave them a good hammering a couple of weeks ago.Shams will win the playoff.

Cosmo
13/11/2005, 4:32 PM
Lads i know Rovers are crap but CHF are worse.They're ****e

I disagree. I actually don't know how to call this match, but I think Dublin have as much chance as winning as rovers

chippie0001
13/11/2005, 4:58 PM
I disagree. I actually don't know how to call this match, but I think Dublin have as much chance as winning as rovers

I don't think so. I would love to see Rovers lose for many reasons and would actually have reasons for them winning too, mainly the derby games but I cannot see them losing. Half of Rovers team, Murphy, Rurtherford, Shelley, Molloy etc are decent premier division players. There will be a lot of needle to this game and maybe Keely will come out on top. The only thing that can lose this for Rovers is Roddy.

pineapple stu
13/11/2005, 5:06 PM
I think it would be very interesting for the league if Rovers went down, to be honest. If we assume that the 400 Club has done a good job of steadying the ship and that relegation wouldn't be the end of them, it could be a boost to the First Division to have a big club down there, even for a short while. I think Shels are the only one of the Big Four Dublin clubs to have been relegated, and even then, they weren't really a big club when it happened.

From a UCD viewpoint, Rovers would bring more than Dublin City or Cobh, but then we'd finish ahead of Dublin City and be more or less guaranteed safety, so it's a tough one to call. From a purely logical football viewpoint, I'd have Rovers as big favourites. OK, they've gotten something like one point from 7 games or something, but Dublin City/Cobh are just about the second best in a very average First Division and I can't see them having enough class to win through over two legs.

TonyD
13/11/2005, 5:59 PM
It may seem like a bit of a contradiction, but the more you hate us the more you should want us to stay up!

Think Manic has it right there. There is no substitute for "needle" matches. It gets the pulse racing like nothing else. The athmosphere at Richmond last week for the Rovers game was something that hasn't been seen, probably since the Cup Semi v Bohs. No way would it EVER be reproduced for a game v Dub City. As much as people may find it funny to see Rovers in the play-offs, I for one wouldn't like to see them replaced by Seery, Keely & Co. (Actually that's another reason to root for Rovers. Keely is managing the other team.)

dfx-
13/11/2005, 6:08 PM
Lads i know Rovers are crap but CHF are worse.They're ****e and they only bet us once this year..we gave them a good hammering a couple of weeks ago.Shams will win the playoff.

You haven't seen Rovers play recently, have you...?

Maynard
13/11/2005, 6:28 PM
I can understand all viewpoints on this issue, which is one of the things that makes it so interesting. From our point of view this is not simply a grudge match (what happens between club owners etc doesn't always reflect the mood and opinions of the fans) but for me it's more of a way of reminding people that we haven't gone away. I know that we bring alot less to the table than clubs such as Rovers, but we've been plugging away since 2001 trying to win football matches and hopefully (but sadly not yet) win a little respect. And all we want to do is to continue to strive for what other clubs have long since had.

We still have one tough match ahead of us, and I don't want to count any chickens yet. But if we were to make the play-offs it would not be about the managers, or the ex-chairman or current chairman; For me it would be about a bunch of players who (for the first time that I can remember) want to win for Dublin City because they have pride in themselves and the jersey. Over the last number of weeks there has become an understanding between the players and the fans that I had not previously witnessed. And if we get to have a crack at Rovers I fully expect us to give a good account of ourselves. And that's all that really matters to me.

City 'Till I Die.

ndrog
13/11/2005, 6:44 PM
I think the likes of shamrock rovers in the first division would be great for the leauge.Loads of extra publicity fo the division.Lets face it ,it pretty much gets completely ignored by the media.Rovers fans could start **** in places they havent to in years!

Speranza
13/11/2005, 6:57 PM
I don't understand people's derision of Dublin City. Surely their fans should get the same if not more respect than all EL fans as we are all criticized for supporting local sides. Ronan Seery isn't a bad person unlike other chairmen (I'm looking around the drumcondra area here ;) ) and is commited to increasing the fan-base of an eircom league team.

I may want Rovers to stay up as a final victory for the work of the c400 but I respect Dublin city too

Conor H
13/11/2005, 7:03 PM
Shamrock Rovers are a Premier Division club and too see them in the first division would be a crying shame, Dublin City to lose in the play off 3-1 over the two legs.
I wouldn't say it's a shame.I think it would be great for the league aswell,if they got relegated. Dublin City would bring nothing to the premier......but if they win the playoff's they go up on merit.

Buller
13/11/2005, 7:05 PM
Dublin contribute nothing to the league...70 fans and it would be terrible to see them in the premier,although i'd love if shams got relegated.
Ahh here now! go away out of that! thats not very nice at all!!! why do most people want to see us go down?!:confused: :( dublin city will not bring a thing to the premier division... why would you want them to go up then???

Conor H
13/11/2005, 7:08 PM
Buller look at my above post.I'd love if yee came down for the simple reason it would be 4 great matches for GUFC next year....i mean shams way is alot better than Home Farm away.Shams are a premier club with a great support(although yee do bring trouble upon yereselves sometimes).I just want yee down caus there is sweet **** all big matches in the 1st Divison.:(

Buller
13/11/2005, 7:15 PM
Rovers fans could start **** in places they havent to in years!
Start what exactly?:confused:

Buller
13/11/2005, 7:17 PM
Buller look at my above post.I'd love if yee came down for the simple reason it would be 4 great matches for GUFC next year....i mean shams way is alot better than Home Farm away.Shams are a premier club with a great support(although yee do bring trouble upon yereselves sometimes).I just want yee down caus there is sweet **** all big matches in the 1st Divison.:(
Alright so, i understand now... :rolleyes:

Cosmo
13/11/2005, 7:28 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that myself - very surprised to see that comment coming from a drog. Can only ever think of one incident with rovers in drogheda over the last few years (and in saying that it was very very minor, not even worth a mention tbh).

Rovers are always well behaved in drogheda - bring plenty of numbers, noise and colour - and no s**t

hoopy
13/11/2005, 7:45 PM
I'm sure most Rovers fans understand other fans reasons for wanting us to go down, it goes with the territory. The only reason that annoys me is when fans(usually Shels) say it's because of trouble. The simple fact is that how much they pay their players, how many trophies they win, Rovers will always be a bigger name than them, and it kills them. For everyone else I totally understand the reasons. Those in the 1st div want us to boost their crowds etc, those in the prem div feel Home Farm will go straight back down. Anyway, if we can't beat a team over two legs from one of the poorest leagues I've ever seen in LOI we don't deserve to be in the prem division

manic da hoop
13/11/2005, 7:57 PM

Start a good atmosphere, I think he means. 'Cos let's face it, no one else is going to do it!

Maz
13/11/2005, 7:57 PM
I'm sure most Rovers fans understand other fans reasons for wanting us to go down, it goes with the territory. The only reason that annoys me is when fans(usually Shels) say it's because of trouble. The simple fact is that how much they pay their players, how many trophies they win, Rovers will always be a bigger name than them, and it kills them. For everyone else I totally understand the reasons. Those in the 1st div want us to boost their crowds etc, those in the prem div feel Home Farm will go straight back down. Anyway, if we can't beat a team over two legs from one of the poorest leagues I've ever seen in LOI we don't deserve to be in the prem division
I think it would be terrible for Rovers to go down. They create an atmosphere in all grounds and bring colour and character to the league

Dodge
13/11/2005, 8:48 PM
So why not let them do it in the first?

ndrog
13/11/2005, 11:37 PM
Rovers could start long lasting reltionships with fellow eircom leauge fans from around the country :) relax lads only joking.

dfx-
13/11/2005, 11:41 PM
Because Rovers won those 8 points fair and square in my eyes and when they were deducted those points they didnt just lose there 8 points or w/e they lost there season then i think, they don't even deserve to really be in the play- offs in imo.

Again, some people could say that we didn't earn them fair and square because we wouldn't have even been playing those matches only for some engineering 'on our' behalf..

Dodge
13/11/2005, 11:58 PM
The reason Rovers were deducted 8 points is known only to the management of the eL and maybe Rovers board. According to the rules they should've been kicked out but the league fidged and plucked the 8 points figure out of the air. Thats the reason most Rovers fans aren't complaining too loudly abot the points deduction. They know the alternative

(Oh and I don't think they should've been kicked out, as the whole licensing thing is a joke)

dfx-
14/11/2005, 12:14 AM
Yes Dodge, but without those accounts would we have got a licence to go and win those 8 points to complain about? The theory would be that we wouldn't and so the 8 points 'gained' there were not gained fairly so to speak.

Anyway that's why I don't complain about them anyway and we are where we are... :)

Macy
14/11/2005, 8:41 AM
It'd be píss funny if Rovers lost to CHF, mainly because of Shoddy.

Hate Dublin City more, Seery is just as bad as Oily imo, we're just lucky he doesn't have the influence (yet). In his short time in charge he's already threatened legal action once, which resulted in the season being extended for us and Harps.

Block G Raptor
14/11/2005, 9:18 AM
Is this the way to athlone town
roddy collins is bringing u down
is this the way to athlone town
the first division waits for u

Can't F****NG Wait the homeless are going the way of the DODO and
the Dinosaur As Darwin Said the Survival of the fittest And death to the in weak inbread rovers SCUM!!!

NY Hoop
14/11/2005, 11:28 AM
Ignoring the last brain dead comment from someone who cant even spell I genuinely fear us going down. Confidence is in the toilet, lost 5 in a row which will be 6 friday cos all the kids will be playing, CHF are scoring goals for fun, albeit in the first division.

One of the lads was at whitehall saturday and says that we should be alright cos CHF are garbage so hopefully that coupled with our suspended players back will see us through cos us in the first division would be the end. And there would be no guarantee that we would get out in a year.

But then again the format for the league has not been decided for next year so we could get a reprieve:D

KOH

Patrick Dunne
14/11/2005, 11:36 AM
"Shams" :confused: are relegated, one could easily imagine a re-structured league for next season.