PDA

View Full Version : eL to move up in UEFA rankings?

pineapple stu
11/11/2005, 4:23 PM
Just in 2005, not overall that is.

Everyone's been mentioning how the eL has had a great season in fnishing 28th in Europe this season. However, Meccabi Petka have lost their first two games in the UEFA Cup group - if they get a draw and a defeat or two defeats against Espanyol and Lokomotiv Moscow, the eL will end up above the Israeli league and in 27th.:)

Just pedantry, but nice pedantry!

thejollyrodger
11/11/2005, 4:46 PM
27th for this season but what ranking over the 5 year period ? I dont think we will move that much

pineapple stu
11/11/2005, 4:49 PM
Won't change the five-year ranking obviously (40th this year, 38th last year). But after the Genesis Report saying how we should be up in the top 20, we're well up into it now if we can keep this year's form up.

crc
12/11/2005, 10:12 AM
Look at some of the countries below us:
Israel
Poland
Hungary
Croatia

It may only seem like a modest ambition to be above these leagues, but the LoI was so sh1te in Europe for so long that it feels really good to be mediocre/average.
We should justifiably have Slovenia, Finland, Sweden, Cyprus (and maybe the non-old firm Scottish teams) in our sights next.

Slash/ED
12/11/2005, 12:10 PM
Exactly. It's just a matter of consistency now.

thejollyrodger
12/11/2005, 12:27 PM
i just wish it was Cork and Shelbourne playing in europe next season. Ive nothing against Derry but Cork and Shelbourne have proven records in Europe. Derry could make a real balls of the whole thing next year

sligoman
12/11/2005, 12:30 PM
i just wish it was Cork and Shelbourne playing in europe next season. Ive nothing against Derry but Cork and Shelbourne have proven records in Europe. Derry could make a real balls of the whole thing next yearStupid thing to say. Give Derry a chance, who's to say that they wont do better than the both of ye? It's very possible;)

EnDai
12/11/2005, 12:31 PM
i just wish it was Cork and Shelbourne playing in europe next season. Ive nothing against Derry but Cork and Shelbourne have proven records in Europe. Derry could make a real balls of the whole thing next year
Derry will have won the right to be there by playing good consistent football. Writing them off would be stupid.

Celdrog
12/11/2005, 12:46 PM

Using logic like that then the Drogs should give up their place and let Shels play in two competitions.
Perhaps it should only be Shels allowed to play in Europe at all.
I must be naive but I thought the best two teams in the country were the first and second in the league and therefore gave us our best hopes in Europe, perhaps Ollie will put in an objection and have it overturned ......

And - a team who did sod all in the champions league prior to last season are current European champions

bigmac
12/11/2005, 12:51 PM

Not having a dig at Longford, but Derry should do better than they did anyway so let's wait and see. Ideally for me, I'd like to see Derry win the league and Cork win the cup so we have our top 3 teams in the CL and UEFA cup. (Sorry Drogs, but intertoto wouldn't be too bad would it?). I think this would be the best chance of advancing our coefficient again.

Slash/ED
12/11/2005, 12:52 PM
Not having a dig at Longford, but Derry should do better than they did anyway so let's wait and see. Ideally for me, I'd like to see Derry win the league and Cork win the cup so we have our top 3 teams in the CL and UEFA cup. (Sorry Drogs, but intertoto wouldn't be too bad would it?). I think this would be the best chance of advancing our coefficient again.

I'm all for that too :)

thejollyrodger
12/11/2005, 5:29 PM
What I'm saying is that Derry are unproven in Europe. There is nothing stupid about that. Time will tell of course. Derry could go all the way to the third qualifiying round or could lose the first leg

crc
12/11/2005, 6:37 PM
Derry could go all the way to the third qualifiying round or could lose the first leg...or both!:cool:

thejollyrodger
12/11/2005, 7:10 PM
typo. first round ;)

jorge
12/11/2005, 9:57 PM
well tbh derry are a poor footballing side but they deserve to be up there and get the rewards.

pineapple stu
12/11/2005, 11:59 PM
Derry a poor footballing side?!

Derry, Cork and Shels would be a very strong trio in the European competitions proper. Best three sides by a distance this season, and Shels' early season blip, although it's cost them the title, has been shown to have been just a blip and nothing more. I'd expect at least 2 points from next season, to be honest.

What would be great is if we could have five teams in the UEFA Cup next season though - say (and there's a few ways of doing this, so don't bother pointing out that so-and-so's not going to lose this or that competition) Cork and Shels in the UEFA, Derry reach the Third Qualifying Round of the Champions' League, Drogheda make the last eleven of the InterToto (not out of the question as Cork managed it last year) and UCD to get the fair play award!:)

gspain
14/11/2005, 8:24 AM
While it is good and positive we should not lose sight of a few things here. It will be much more difficult next year.

1) Our champions will not be seeded in the champions league. It is very unlikely they will get home and away wins and may not even get through the first round.

2) We had an advantage on some of these countries we've finished ahead of thanks to playing in the first qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup and champions league. This is a quirk in the system as Liverpool eg have boosted the UK's coefficient thanks to their progress thorugh the champions league qualifying rounds.

Having said all that it is great news and a positive boost for our league. It has been a great season but the challenge is to keep this going.

gustavo
14/11/2005, 9:22 AM
Derry if they are champions will be going into Europe not as experienced as Cork and i think that would count against them

pete
14/11/2005, 10:06 AM
Experience is vital in Europe. Shels & City have a few solid years behind them that they can bring through to next season.

Possession football is absolutely vital in Europe.

I've no doubt we would have done so well in Uefa Cup this season if did not have the Inter Toto Cup run last year. The Inter Toto Cup is an excellent introduction to Europe as not so much pressure & usually big advantage in fitness. This is why would be perfect for Drogs as they develop as a club & team.

IMO Derrys strength is their goal scoring - speed & strength. Passing isn't one of them.

Do shels still have seeding next season?

Saying all this but every team earns its right to be whatever competition they get to.

Krstic
14/11/2005, 10:13 AM
well tbh derry are a poor footballing side

Well I just hope we play some more of that "poor football" on Firday coming:rolleyes:

Slash/ED
14/11/2005, 10:39 AM
Do shels still have seeding next season?

We have for another 4 seasons the club co-efficent gained from the draw with Lille which should see us seeded in the first round of whatever tournament we end up in I think.

pineapple stu
24/12/2005, 5:29 PM
Everyone's been mentioning how the eL has had a great season in fnishing 28th in Europe this season. However, Meccabi Petka have lost their first two games in the UEFA Cup group - if they get a draw and a defeat or two defeats against Espanyol and Lokomotiv Moscow, the eL will end up above the Israeli league and in 27th.:)
Just to conclude this thread - Petach did end up losing all four of their UEFA Cup group games and so the eL finishes in 27th position in Europe. Here's hoping for more of the same next year!

Gareth
24/12/2005, 9:52 PM
theJollyRodger, why do you consistantly write off Derry chances in Europe? They had a solid season, are strengthing the squad and finished ahead of us in the league. All the talk of you thinking Shels should be in Europe would think we are some super Euro team. We have done well but I fully hope Derry are capable of a similiar feat!!!

EnDai
24/12/2005, 11:30 PM
Just to conclude this thread - Petach did end up losing all four of their UEFA Cup group games and so the eL finishes in 27th position in Europe. Here's hoping for more of the same next year!
Good to hear. And of course, I hope every team in Europe as a great run! Consistent results is what we need, and I think we can do it. Cork could well be a surprise package to some unsuspecting seeded team in QR3, and I hope to God they are! :D

thejollyrodger
27/12/2005, 2:47 PM
theJollyRodger, why do you consistantly write off Derry chances in Europe? They had a solid season, are strengthing the squad and finished ahead of us in the league. All the talk of you thinking Shels should be in Europe would think we are some super Euro team. We have done well but I fully hope Derry are capable of a similiar feat!!!

Gareth,
Derry have not played European teams in a long time. They havent built up that experience that Cork and Shels have and to be honest I just dont think they will do much in Europe next season.

I would of course be delighted to be proved wrong. I would be the first to congratulate Derry but I remain unconvinced at this moment in time.

Rochey
28/12/2005, 11:13 AM
plus lads even if shelborne were in europe whos to say they wont lose the first round!!! Teams earn the right to europe. Its up to the quality of teams in the league to deliver not the quality of 1 or 2 big clubs every year.:confused:

EnDai
28/12/2005, 1:40 PM
Teams earn the right to europe.

Exactly.

pineapple stu
29/12/2005, 7:40 AM
Gareth,
Derry have not played European teams in a long time.
Yeah, all of three years!