21/07/2005, 9:33 PM
Anyone know how much Utd will get in the latest grants
from the Sports Council? Will it be enough to build us our
new stand, or what will it be used for? This report was
reliesed today on the FAI.ie website::

FAI Statement - 21st July 2005

The Football Association of Ireland and the eircom League
today welcomed the Sports Capital Grants annoucement by
the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism, John O'Donoghue TD.

The Department today announced an allocation of €12 million
for 2005 in addition to which allocations were made from 2003
of €3 million totalling €15 million for investment in Irish football.
eircom League clubs were allocated €5.275 million from the €15
million.

"The allocations announced today provide a real boost for
domestic football," said John Delaney, CEO of the FAI. "The
game, as a whole, needs substatial funding into the future
and the grants announced today make a very positive inroad
into that requirement” he added. “The €15 million agreed today
is a significant investment in the game’s infrastructure and one
which we very much welcome”, said Delaney.

The €5.275 million allocated to the 16 eircom League clubs
today is in addition to the €2m allocated from 2002 to St.
Patrick’s Athletic and Dundalk FC which can now be drawn down.

“When allied to the TV initiatives agreed earlier in the year,
providing the domestic game a massive increase in exposure,
this huge investment gives the League a platform from which
to build”, Delaney added. “The Department of Arts, Sport and
Tourism, through these allocations, has given Irish football a
genuine injection of capital which I’m confident will be put to
very good use”, he concluded.

The Chairman of the eircom League, Paddy McCaul said that
League clubs were making significant progress with their
development plans and today’s news would provide them with
a great lift. “eircom League clubs have committed to substantial
investment under their infrastructural plans as part of the FAI’s
Club Licensing process. Today’s funding commitment is recognition
of the substantial work being undertaken by the clubs as they
continue their investment in improved facilities for players and
spectators”, he added.

“In many cases substantial and ongoing investment is needed to
bring the facilities into line with supporters growing expectations
and today’s sporting requirements”, McCaul added. “The funds
now available will enable clubs to continue their development
programmes with a greater degree of certainty”, he said.

Terry
22/07/2005, 7:08 AM
its says 16 clubs and not the full 22, so there is a chance that we got nothing??? :eek:

Terry
22/07/2005, 7:16 AM
Terryland Park has received a €500,000 grant from the Government. The money received is part of the Sports Development Fund and it will go towards further development works in Terryland Park. It is hoped that the new stand on the Old Waterworks side of the ground can finally commence. The Galway FA and the Terryland Park Development Committee are to be thanked for their efforts in securing the funding.

www.galwayunitedfc.ie

GalwayFrancis
22/07/2005, 9:00 AM
Terryland Park has received a €500,000 grant from the Government. The money received is part of the Sports Development Fund and it will go towards further development works in Terryland Park.
Is the grant for United or Terryland?

It is hoped that the new stand on the Old Waterworks side of the ground can finally commence. The Galway FA and the Terryland Park Development Committee are to be thanked for their efforts in securing the funding.
How far has the stand come on paper? have plans been drawn up and has planning permission been sought?

Terry
22/07/2005, 9:38 AM
Is the grant for United or Terryland?
Its for the terryland development committee, a joint venture of GUFC and the Galway FA for the development of terryland.

How far has the stand come on paper? have plans been drawn up and has planning permission been sought?

Not sure about this, but if they got a grant for it, surely they had to show the paperwork for what they wanted it for?? :confused:

GalwayFrancis
22/07/2005, 11:52 PM
Not sure about this, but if they got a grant for it, surely they had to show the paperwork for what they wanted it for?? :confused:
hopefully, the paper work for building a stand would be huge!i hope its all
been done, would like to see a new stand asap. any idea on the capacity?

gufct
24/07/2005, 5:57 PM
was secured years ago and the footing stone was put in last year to make sure it was retained. This money will get the stand up and covered with the seats in but the dressing rooms gym and catering facilities underneath will not be done until further graants are received.

Terry
25/07/2005, 7:24 AM
any idea how much it seats?

4,000 :) double the size of the existing stand.

GUFCT/
Is there any news when the work will begin and finish?

gufct
25/07/2005, 8:36 AM
were ongoing with a local contractor to do the job.As for a start date it will be up to the Terryland Devolpment commitee to sort that out.

Eire06
25/07/2005, 8:38 AM
were ongoing with a local contractor to do the job.As for a start date it will be up to the Terryland Devolpment commitee to sort that out.
Just pray its not the same crowd that were doing Eyre Square :rolleyes:

Buller
25/07/2005, 9:45 AM
I dont want to sound pesimistic here guys but I think a 4,000 seater stand is being slightly optemistic... given the grant is only €500k... :o
Anyway a new stand opposite the current one would be great and improve your image, and attendences... ;)

Terry
25/07/2005, 10:00 AM
cost of construction in Galway isn't as dear as in Dublin. The foundation is already in place as well, which brings down some of the expenses. And, as GUFCT said, it wont finish the job but it will get the main body finished. :D

Buller
25/07/2005, 10:04 AM
fair enough, i give in... best of luck!

superfrank
25/07/2005, 11:59 AM
Just pray its not the same crowd that were doing Eyre Square :rolleyes:
:D
We got our grant money too, not as much mind you but ours is just to put a roof over the seats.

How many seats are in Terryland at the moment?

Terry
25/07/2005, 12:05 PM
2,000 :o

superfrank
25/07/2005, 5:45 PM
2,000 :o
That's bout the same as us. :o

Buller
25/07/2005, 9:39 PM
Correct me if im wrong but does the current "main" stand in terryland not have 1,700 seats and then theres 100 seats near the big office building end... making the current capacity 1,800?!!! :confused:
Im not sure who told me that but definatly heard it before....

Patrick Dunne
26/07/2005, 12:07 AM
1700 seats in the stand, 50 or so outside the clubhouse, however there are no longer seats inside the clubhouse area. It has been re-designed to accomodate VIP catering facilities !

The new stand will be similar to the Cork City model, as per the last plan I saw. I would estimate the proposed capacity to be 2,500 maximum.

When we get back into the UEFA/Intertoto/CL our home games will be played in Terryland Park (no smart comments, please). This is the most important benefit as far as I am concerned.

Buller
26/07/2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks for that Patrick Dunne, that sounds alot more realistic...
Best of luck!

Terry
26/07/2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks for that Patrick Dunne, that sounds alot more realistic...

And completely different than the press release from when the plans for the stand were first mentioned?? :confused:

PD/

Do you think it would be possible to ask a member of the development committee to maybe put up the plans on the offical website? :o

Patrick Dunne
26/07/2005, 11:05 AM
.. would make it the highest capacity in Ireland, higher than the Jodi stand, which is very large. Can't really see that happening.

The development committee is now being re-formed. A copy of the plans on the official website would be a good idea.

I would imagine that 90%+ of those using the facilities are GUFC fans. I believe that a Supporters Trust representative on the development committee would be crucial.

The design of the original Terryland 12 years ago was appalling. Very small dressing rooms, massive free hospitality area, no bar, no proper retail/catering facilities. Minor details like poor view of the game from the club shop, which makes it very difficult to get volunteers to manage it. Major details like ten+ poles in front of the current stand.

If certain GFA blazer/GUFC clubhouse types get their way, you can be sure that "hospitality" for themselves will be a far higher priority than supporter facilities. The ground also cannot be left as an dead duck for 95% of the time. A clubhouse/gym is essential to increase revenue streams.

Terry
04/08/2005, 10:05 AM
any update on the construction side of things? Have GUFC even received the money from the FAI ?

Utd Till I Die
04/08/2005, 10:35 AM
Terry, With grants like this i dont think you get the money until you produce the invoice of work done.you can only spend the money on development. so GUFC build the stand and the FAI will pay for it when its finished.

Terry
15/09/2005, 10:01 AM
Its been a while now since we were told we were going to get E500,000 for the building of our second stand but nothing has happened at all. Does anyone know what is going on? Surely we should be doing something?

gufct
15/09/2005, 12:30 PM
is back up and running but i wouldnt expect any movement on the Construction side before Christmas.Tenders will be processed first and when a contractor is chosen conracts and the legal end of things will have to be sorted out.

€600k will not get a stand completed so phase one will be building the structure and seating with the second and third phases being the fitting out of the structure and services underneath.

Terry
15/09/2005, 12:38 PM
€600k will not get a stand completed so phase one will be building the structure and seating with the second and third phases being the fitting out of the structure and services underneath.

I know that, but wouldn't it be great to see that much of it completed before the beginning of next season. Build it and they will come, as they say!! :o

Patrick Dunne
22/09/2005, 12:33 PM
Sean Hynes, JimMcSpadden and Martin Quinn are the three GUFC reps on the development committee, along with three representatives of the Galway FA and three neutrals from a football background.

The committee were due to have a meeting this week, but one of the GFA people is ill and was unable to attend.

Initial work on planning permssion, insurance, looking at prospective contractors/models has started. The previous plans aren't set in stone.

Will keep you updated regularly via this thread.

Terry
22/09/2005, 12:42 PM
Cheers Paddy !

Guitd
10/11/2005, 6:56 PM
anybody hear and update on new stand

Terry
11/11/2005, 7:33 AM
anybody hear and update on new stand

It is my understanding that they are finalising a contractor at the moment with the intension to begin work after the winter period. Someone else may correct me on that.

Patrick Dunne
11/11/2005, 12:15 PM
.. an achieveable target would be for work to start before the beginning of the 2006 season.