PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Irish football goals ever?

ThatGuy
10/11/2005, 4:27 PM
I could list a few Bohs goals but to be honest, the best goal that I have ever seen in Irish football (on TV unfortunately) was scored in extra-time in the FAI Cup for Sligo Rovers against Shelbourne about 3 years ago. I can't remember the name of the guy who scored it, but he won the ball near midfield, impressively rounded a player (maybe two) and beautifully striked it into the goal chipping the 'keeper from a long distance.

What was the name of the player, is he still playing for Sligo?

It was put up on the Sligo site after it was scored but it is gone now. Does anyone have it on MPEG by any chance?

Aside from that, Glen Crowe's goal in Dalyer against St.Pats in 2000/01 was an absolute scorcher.

Schumi
10/11/2005, 4:32 PM
It was put up on the Sligo site after it was scored but it is gone now. Does anyone have it on MPEG by any chance?
Think I have it at home, it's big though!

ThatGuy
10/11/2005, 4:34 PM
If you're still a student can you upload it to radipshare (or a similar site) next time you're in college?

Schumi
10/11/2005, 4:48 PM
If you're still a student can you upload it to radipshare (or a similar site) next time you're in college?
Will do it tomorrow if I get a chance.

Slash/ED
10/11/2005, 4:50 PM

No need

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/video.php?yearid=2003

Keogh is the one you're looking for.

Tony Sheridans goal in the '96 cup final for sheer quality was incredible too, there's a link here, http://www.redsindependent.com/Shero.mpeg but unfortunately the quality is poor and so it doesn't really do the goal justice.

Troy.McClure
10/11/2005, 4:57 PM
Aside from that, Glen Crowe's goal in Dalyer against St.Pats in 2000/01 was an absolute scorcher.

That wasnt a 30-40 yard screemer into the shopping centre end was it?

hamish
10/11/2005, 4:58 PM
Liam Coyle's goal for Derry City against Dundalk in Oriel Park in the late 80s I think.A long high punt came over his head as he headed for goal and without any looking up he took it on the volley and in full stride hammered in a shot Zidane would have been proud of.
I mentioned that goal to him back in 1991 or 1992 and he's forgotten it. Maybe he was being modest.

Nice bloke Liam - a true star.:)

Carlin
10/11/2005, 5:07 PM
That wasnt a 30-40 yard screemer into the shopping centre end was it?

Yeah that's the one.

WeAreRovers
10/11/2005, 5:07 PM
Nice bloke Liam - a true star.:)

Very true. Top man.

KOH

Troy.McClure
10/11/2005, 5:11 PM
Yeah that's the one.

I was in Section A of the Jodi that night and have to say that I havent seen a better one in the flesh before or since.

ThatGuy
10/11/2005, 5:30 PM
No need

Thanks. What a goal!

Roverstillidie
10/11/2005, 5:35 PM
brian morris-roe hit one from well inside his own half against dundalk about 6 years ago. no cameras there to catch it of course!!!

blutil
10/11/2005, 5:36 PM
No need

Tony Sheridans goal in the '96 cup final for sheer quality was incredible too, there's a link here, http://www.redsindependent.com/Shero.mpeg but unfortunately the quality is poor and so it doesn't really do the goal justice.

gaffneys goal on the same page isnt half bad either

Slash/ED
10/11/2005, 5:52 PM
gaffneys goal on the same page isnt half bad either

Neither is the header, all three excellent goals in their own way.

Mr A
10/11/2005, 7:35 PM
If I remember correctly, the first goal referred to on this thread was scored by Ollie Keogh, otherwise noted for being an ill-tempered dwarf. He's playing junior football in Galway now.

Best goal I ever saw anywhere was Damian Dunleavy for Harps against UCD in the first match at Finn Park under floodlights. He spun and unleashed a screaming half volley just as our keepers long punt bounced. He was on the edge of the centre circle but the second he hit it you knew it was going in the top corner.

Just a pity there where no cameras there!

TonyD
10/11/2005, 7:52 PM
I was in Section A of the Jodi that night and have to say that I havent seen a better one in the flesh before or since.

I'll second that. I was in the Jodi that night too, and it's definitely the best goal I've ever seen live. Crowe caught it the dropping ball on the half volley just inside the half way line and it went like a rocket into the top corner. Even though it was against us, you just had to admire the sheer quality of it.

Among the Pats goals I've seen, two spring to mind. The first was Eddie Gormley scoring from the half way line against Sligo Rovers at Richmond. The second was superb team goal scored by Martin Reilly when we beat Bohs 5-0 on Brian Kerrs tenth anniversary in charge. It was a breakaway that swept the length of the field in 4 or 5 passes and Reilly smashed it into the roof of the net to complete his hat trick. Bliss.

macdermesser
10/11/2005, 8:03 PM
I'll second that. I was in the Jodi that night too, and it's definitely the best goal I've ever seen live. Crowe caught it the dropping ball on the half volley just inside the half way line and it went like a rocket into the top corner. Even though it was against us, you just had to admire the sheer quality of it.

Among the Pats goals I've seen, two spring to mind. The first was Eddie Gormley scoring from the half way line against Sligo Rovers at Richmond. The second was superb team goal scored by Martin Reilly when we beat Bohs 5-0 on Brian Kerrs tenth anniversary in charge. It was a breakaway that swept the length of the field in 4 or 5 passes and Reilly smashed it into the roof of the net to complete his hat trick. Bliss.

You beat me to it .. Gormley from the half way line .. Hawkins scored a cracker as well in the same game.

dfx-
10/11/2005, 8:07 PM
The 3 Rovers goals that spring to my mind are

1. McCourt's 2nd at home to Bray this year.

2. Gino's 20 (?) yard run past everybody to get a 1-0 win against Bohs at the RDS. All I can rememer clearly is seeing him get closer and closer to the goal thinking, no it couldn't possibly happen..:D

3. Stephen Geoghegan's goal at home to Galway (?) at the RDS in 93-94. A right footed volley from just over the halfway line and beside the sideline at the Grandstand and flying in the top corner......:cool:

sligoman
10/11/2005, 8:07 PM
Keogh's goal was, without doubt, one of the best in Irish soccer ever. John Gaffney's one was very good too. Overall it was a great match.

sligoman
10/11/2005, 10:29 PM
He has scored some bloody crackers for us Sligoman.He had scored a goal just like that Shels one for us against Monaghan a few weeks before hand but it was disallowed for off-side even though it clearly wasn't. He was always trying to score from the halfway line, it must have been his training routine:D.

lofty9
11/11/2005, 8:10 AM
The best goals I've see have all involved Liam Coyle. He scored two screamers against the Continuity Home Farm one cold Saturday night that stand out and a cracker at St Mels against Athlone when we lost the league. But the best goal for me was one he laid on for Johnny Speake at The Brandy vs Dundalk in 89/90 season. Coyle was on the half way line by the dugout and I think it was Mick Lawlor who was marking him - the ball was played to his feet but he dummied the ball and turned the defender without even touching it , leaving him stranded, looked up and with one touch from the outside of his right foot played a fantastic through ball to Speake, who from 20yards hit it first time into the bottom corner of the net. An absolute cracker. If anybody has seen it they will remember it. Sheer class from big Lofty!

mandrake
11/11/2005, 8:24 AM
roverstillidie, brian morris roe, i think that was aginst us in a cup game, and i think it was on tv that night, you beat u s two, in tolka...if its not the same then he scored two! met him since, nice fella. he went on to dundalk.

Dazzy
11/11/2005, 10:26 AM
The best goals I've see have all involved Liam Coyle. He scored two screamers against the Continuity Home Farm one cold Saturday night that stand out and a cracker at St Mels against Athlone when we lost the league. But the best goal for me was one he laid on for Johnny Speake at The Brandy vs Dundalk in 89/90 season. Coyle was on the half way line by the dugout and I think it was Mick Lawlor who was marking him - the ball was played to his feet but he dummied the ball and turned the defender without even touching it , leaving him stranded, looked up and with one touch from the outside of his right foot played a fantastic through ball to Speake, who from 20yards hit it first time into the bottom corner of the net. An absolute cracker. If anybody has seen it they will remember it. Sheer class from big Lofty!

I think that is on Derrycityfc.net, also got it on my computer here:cool:

NY Hoop
11/11/2005, 10:26 AM
roverstillidie, brian morris roe, i think that was aginst us in a cup game, and i think it was on tv that night, you beat u s two, in tolka...if its not the same then he scored two! met him since, nice fella. he went on to dundalk.

The one he's referring to was in tolka against dundalk. We won 5-2 and he scored from inside his own half but as per usual no cameras there:rolleyes:

However there were cameras there when he scored that screamer against you in the cup game...........

KOH

MrJoeSoap
11/11/2005, 11:22 AM
Pat McCourts two vs Bray earlier in the season.
Nutsy vs Bohs in the 6-4.
Davy Byrne (I think into the Drumcondra end) a few years back.
Glen Crowe vs Pats for Bohs back in the day.
Wes Hoolahans screamer earlier this season, once again I can't remember who against.

Roo69
11/11/2005, 11:29 AM
One of my fav goals was when Paul Byrne, who was playing with Bohs at the time, scored from inside his own half against Bray, unbeliveable finish. The goal was accredited to Glen Crowe but i still reckon the ball had crossed the line before he got the final touch.

blutil
11/11/2005, 12:12 PM
great "OWN" goal. from derrycityfc.net

http://www.derrycityfc.net/gallery/albums/DCFCArchive80s/harps_og89.mpg

pineapple stu
11/11/2005, 12:25 PM
Any Limerick fans remember Seán Finn's goal in Belfield during the 4-0 (I think it was) win in Belfield last season? A headed clearance waist high, and Finn volleys first time to the top corner from outside the box. Superb technique. Andy Myler scored a David-Beckham-from-the-half-way-line the same weekend as Beckham did it. Beckham's is usually voted one of the greatest goals ever while no-one remembers Myler's. Sure there's been a couple of crackers scored against us...will try and remember a few...

KK77
11/11/2005, 1:49 PM
One of my fav goals was when Paul Byrne, who was playing with Bohs at the time, scored from inside his own half against Bray, unbeliveable finish. The goal was accredited to Glen Crowe but i still reckon the ball had crossed the line before he got the final touch.

Was just to the right of the goal that night clearly hadn't crossed the line though deserved to.