PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound racing (ownership)

the 12 th man
10/11/2005, 4:23 PM
Myself and a few mates were thinking of buying one to have a bit of craic.
Anybody else out there part of a syndicate as I heard its fairly cheap to do it.

I could get the official line from Bord na Gon but I want the reality.

Soko
10/11/2005, 4:27 PM
You should go ahead and do it, if the dog is half decent they'll almost cover the cost plus a punting.

the 12 th man
10/11/2005, 4:44 PM
You should go ahead and do it, if the dog is half decent they'll almost cover the cost plus a punting.

Yeah I'm just trying to get a handle on running costs, average price of a greyhound, that kind of thing.:)

noby
11/11/2005, 7:20 AM
A few of my mates have a dog. IIRC he could have been around

joeSoap
14/11/2005, 12:47 PM
A grop of us (6) bought a pup last year from what is supposedly a good litter. We bought the pup for €3,000. We have one of the top trainers in Kildare looking after it and it costs €100 a month per head to maintain. Basically it was a €500 down payment, and €25 a week thereafter. Not a whole lot realy, and the trainer reckons it will be a decent dog in Jan/Feb. I'll keep ye posted.

Any suitable names??

Perhaps a few of us could buy one for Foot.ie, callit something relevant and have a huge reason for a p1ss up on a regular basis.

noby
14/11/2005, 1:01 PM
150 a week to train him? Did you buy a dog or a horse?

My posts seem to crash if I use the euro symbol, hence the one above. Anyway, as I tried to say, IIRC they paid about 1000 for him and 20-25 (total) per week to the trainer. Obviously not in the same league as joesoap's dog, but it can be done on the cheap, for a bit of a hobby/laugh.

joeSoap
14/11/2005, 5:39 PM
I think it goes down to the breeding of the dogs. We bought from the litter of an ex English Derby winner called Rapid Ranger, and are having him trained by Fraser Black, who is the leading Irish trainer. There are cheaper options, averaging at around €1500 to buy, and around €40-€50 a month in training fees, but the pup would be not from a known dog or bitch.

the 12 th man
15/11/2005, 7:27 AM
Perhaps a few of us could buy one for Foot.ie, callit something relevant and have a huge reason for a p1ss up on a regular basis.

If enough were interested it would be very cheap.
Only problem would be what Province to race it in?.

We could call it "talk balls":D

joeSoap
15/11/2005, 9:54 AM
If enough were interested it would be very cheap.
Only problem would be what Province to race it in?.

We could call it "talk balls":D:D :D

Wiseguy
16/11/2005, 2:01 PM
Greyhounds are quite cheap to keep.My auntie & her friends have one called concorde express and he actually makes her money.They bought him for feck all and were offered 6 or 7k for him a few months.An average dog can win a race or two so you have a much better chance than you would with a horse.I have shares in a Horse called Cool Blues and they cost a fortune along with the fact that it's very hard to get a good horse relatively cheap.The stable fees alone are €200 p.w. plus vets fees,Jockey fees,entrance fees and so on.You have to find a race to suit the Horse and the ground has to suit.Even with everything going your way you can go down at the first fence and it's all over:eek: .Even running a horse in a point to point will cost you as the fecking jockey gets €100 plus a percentage of the €1000 winnings should the horse win.At least the trainer reckons she'll win a race by christmas so fingers crossed.

drummerboy
16/11/2005, 2:12 PM
Most tracks usually hold trials and sales in February.

drummerboy
16/11/2005, 2:14 PM
Most tracks usually hold trials and sales in February. But you would need to bring somebody with a knowledge of the industry along with you as their are many rogues in this business. Giving dogs painkillers before trials to hide long-term injuries is not unheard of. Many other tricks as well. So beware.

the 12 th man
16/11/2005, 2:22 PM
Greyhounds are quite cheap to keep.My auntie & her friends have one called concorde express and he actually makes her money.They bought him for feck all and were offered 6 or 7k for him a few months.An average dog can win a race or two so you have a much better chance than you would with a horse.I have shares in a Horse called Cool Blues and they cost a fortune along with the fact that it's very hard to get a good horse relatively cheap.The stable fees alone are €200 p.w. plus vets fees,Jockey fees,entrance fees and so on.You have to find a race to suit the Horse and the ground has to suit.Even with everything going your way you can go down at the first fence and it's all over:eek: .Even running a horse in a point to point will cost you as the fecking jockey gets €100 plus a percentage of the €1000 winnings should the horse win.At least the trainer reckons she'll win a race by christmas so fingers crossed.

Give us the "billy" if you expect a win or a good run.:cool:

Wiseguy
18/11/2005, 10:06 AM
Give us the "billy" if you expect a win or a good run.:cool:

She's ran a couple of times already in Maidens but was only out for the run so we can keep her weight down.She ran yesterday in Thurles and finished mid-field at a canter and the trainer and jockey were very happy.The plan is to have a win before x-mas so watch this space.

Wiseguy
18/11/2005, 10:09 AM
I see you have him with a guy who is not a bad trainer ! Best of Luck !

Yeah he's defo a trainer on the rise and has a great stable jockey to boot.He trained Mollies Dolly for the syndicate ( but i wasn't in it ) and she won a race and had a few places against top horses before she went on maternity leave so we have great faith in him.