PDA

View Full Version : Irish Football Clips (EURO 88 & others)

shamalive
10/11/2005, 8:05 AM
http://www.iol.ie/~shamalive/footballclips.htm

All are here,

Euro 88
Italia 90
USA 94
Ireland v England 1995 (should provoke some discussion)

Dawn_Run
10/11/2005, 8:23 AM
Nice one Sham, Cheers

as_i_say
10/11/2005, 8:33 AM
ok this is pushing it but any chance of some clips of some of our qualifying games for any of euro 88, italia 90 euro 92 and usa 94- i presume none of these games are on charltons new dvd-it'd be great to see some of them again!!

shamalive
10/11/2005, 8:41 AM
ok this is pushing it but any chance of some clips of some of our qualifying games for any of euro 88, italia 90 euro 92 and usa 94- i presume none of these games are on charltons new dvd-it'd be great to see some of them again!!

Not sure if any of them were included in reeling in the years shows (my source),
I'll have a look and if they were I'll post them,
but I dont think so.

macdermesser
10/11/2005, 9:20 AM
thanks a lot shamalive .. you have brought a lot of joy to people living abroad like myself with no access to rte and reeling in the years. really appreciate you going to the effort and to Eirebhoy too for the bittorrent to the Stuttgart game.

I would not be a person to advocate violence as a solution to a problem .. but I can't help but take some satisfaction in seeing those thugs gettting a few whacks from the Gardai back in 1995. I think the great restraint shown by the Irish fans at the time in not reacting, was a credit to everyone who was there that night.

Everytime I see that Wim Kieft shot, I think its going to hit the post and go wide .. and then we get to the semi final and Aldo scores a last minute winner against the Germans .. and in the final we outplay the Russians again.

Luck of the irish my arse .. have we ever had it .. besides Gary Mackay

brine3
10/11/2005, 5:22 PM
At least there were a few amongst the English shaking their heads in disgust at the whole thing (sadly it looked like a minority though). Wouldn't have liked to have been an innocent Englishman amongst the Gards, but the guilty ones had it coming.

Lovely football for the goal.

beautifulrock
10/11/2005, 9:25 PM
gardai didnt hold back (was that Jim McDonald from Corrie that got the baton over his head):)

Fergie's Son
11/11/2005, 4:15 AM
The Gardai were woefully underprepared and their preperations were woefully incompetant.

as_i_say
11/11/2005, 7:56 AM
i remember queing up to get in for the south terrace at that game. i went with a mate of mine-we were both 15 and i'm not ashamed to say that i was **** ting my pants at what was going on outside even before the match.

tatooed and largered up english swine intimidating kids and others. the gardaĆ­ just stood around and did nothing-all 2 of them :)

brine3
11/11/2005, 8:25 AM
and why did the FAI put them in the upper tier... muppets

Dan K
13/11/2005, 10:09 AM
Lovely football for the goal.

Length of the pitch in 4 passes. Just like watching Arsenal. ;)

Green Tribe
13/11/2005, 7:41 PM
Great to watch, thank you so much, great memories, apart from 1995 :mad:

You can see also how different the crowd was in LR back then compared to recently, fecking suits etc.

Qwerty
17/11/2005, 1:37 AM
It doesn't mater what we do in the future, for me Euro 88 in particular and Italia 90 could not be bettered.

NeilMcD
17/11/2005, 9:36 AM
I think Euro 88 was top class. For years afterwards I used to watch the Russia game on videos whenever I was sick from school or dossing or whatever. I would argue its the best 90 minutes of football that Ireland played under Charlton. Its the best football that I have ever seen Ireland play and the first game I remember was Norway away in 1984 or 84 I think.

OwlsFan
17/11/2005, 4:18 PM

I have most of those games on my old betamax tapes! I have tape loads of old Irish games.

OwlsFan
17/11/2005, 4:19 PM
and why did the FAI put them in the upper tier... muppets

To keep them as far away from the pitch as possible and so they could be confined, muppet :rolleyes:

Marked Man
17/11/2005, 4:23 PM
I think Euro 88 was top class. For years afterwards I used to watch the Russia game on videos whenever I was sick from school or dossing or whatever. I would argue its the best 90 minutes of football that Ireland played under Charlton. Its the best football that I have ever seen Ireland play and the first game I remember was Norway away in 1984 or 84 I think.

I'd go along with that. Very unlucky not to beat Russia that day; Aldo managed to miss a couple of sitters. Whelan's goal was the best goal I've ever seen scored for Ireland.