PDA

View Full Version : eircom League Live Updates Website

A face
09/11/2005, 11:08 PM
There was one at some stage and i thought it worked out well. Why did it actually finish ??

Derry have a good live updates section on their site, who made that one does anyone know, how is it updated ??

There are enough of us at all the games, to be able to text in the scores, frees, cards, penos etc.

What do people think ??

sligoman
09/11/2005, 11:09 PM
There are enough of us at all the games, to be able to text in the scores, frees, cards, penos etc.Sure but are any of us willing to set one up?:confused:

A face
09/11/2005, 11:14 PM
Sure but are any of us willing to set one up?:confused:

Well we should find out whats best first ... what kind of format and how it would be done. The last one was basically exiles that couldn't get to their home game would get texts from their mates who were at the games and then update the site.

It would be excellent if it could be done for every game, first and premier divisions.

blutil
09/11/2005, 11:33 PM
was done just using basic HTML and fans texting someone at a computer key things that were going on in the game. It would have to be rethought to work again i'd say as doing all the games could be done better on a forum, and it rely's on (basic) HTML skills for the person at the computer.

MariborKev
10/11/2005, 10:28 AM
Ours was just an "updated":D version of the one Shelsweb was using

Gareth who runs Shelsweb posts on here commonly enough so I am sure he would have all the details

Breifne
10/11/2005, 10:39 AM
There are plans in motion for a comprehensive (unofficial) site for the eircom league next season, which will include, match updates, half time reports, full time reports, photographs, match highlights, interviews (players / managers) in Audio and Video.

Can't say any more, but should be hearing loads about it in the new year.

Keep your eyes peeled.

A face
10/11/2005, 11:27 AM
There are plans in motion for a comprehensive (unofficial) site for the eircom league next season, which will include, match updates, half time reports, full time reports, photographs, match highlights, interviews (players / managers) in Audio and Video.

Can't say any more, but should be hearing loads about it in the new year.

Keep your eyes peeled.

Who is behind it though and is it well organised ??
Alot of people start sites with the best of intentions but they comes to nothing in the end.

For the most part .... it is not the actually site design that matter (obviously it a factor of course) but its the information provided to the site that is the problem. A multimedia site would be great imo ..... but will it work. How you approached clubs etc. ... where are you getting the info from.

Not trying to pour cold water on this, just wondering
Have you considered approaching one of the existing sites about this ??

A face
10/11/2005, 8:08 PM
Ours was just an "updated":D version of the one Shelsweb was using

Gareth who runs Shelsweb posts on here commonly enough so I am sure he would have all the details

Bump ... just wanna get info on this !!

Gareth .... hullo ..... Gar ..... you there ?? :p

dcfc_1928
10/11/2005, 9:22 PM
I made the Derry City one - a very simple PHP/MySQL based system.

The admin section is fairly simple stuff, a simple HTML form that inserts data into the MySQL database.

You enter the event type (e.g. penalty, goal, yellow card etc) from a drop-down list, the time it occured and a brief description of the event.

The front-end is a simple PHP page which queries the database and displays updates (with an auto-refresh) and assigns a simple graphic for each type of event.

I'll gladly donate the code to any new project - although its fairly rudimentary stuff.

The difficulty we always found with using it, was actually getting info back from matches. For some of the home matches I used a laptop and a GPRS modem with some success, but mostly we used mobile phone updates.

If eircom did finally provide wireless hotspots at all grounds, it could make the whole task so much easier.

There was one at some stage and i thought it worked out well. Why did it actually finish ??

Derry have a good live updates section on their site, who made that one does anyone know, how is it updated ??

There are enough of us at all the games, to be able to text in the scores, frees, cards, penos etc.

What do people think ??

A face
10/11/2005, 9:31 PM
I'll gladly donate the code to any new project - although its fairly rudimentary stuff.

Might be back ot ya about that so ...

The difficulty we always found with using it, was actually getting info back from matches. For some of the home matches I used a laptop and a GPRS modem with some success, but mostly we used mobile phone updates.

If eircom did finally provide wireless hotspots at all grounds, it could make the whole task so much easier.

Now that would be the job !! .... who could we actually go and ask about that i wonder ?? But if we had a few people from each club, we should be well covered ... with City, there are loads of exiles for away games and the homes games would be fine, i'd say its the same with every club.

Drumcondra Red
11/11/2005, 9:07 AM
Gareth does the live updates from tolka with his laptop, every home game and some away ones too, used to be done via text, but then the internet connection came, they're quite good too, nearly every kick is commented on!

A face
13/11/2005, 12:56 PM
Bump !!!

GalwayFrancis
13/11/2005, 1:05 PM
Gareth does the live updates from tolka with his laptop

do many el grounds have internet connections?that can be used by journalists... this website idea should become a reality!!!ill help with the making of the site, if ye want

A face
13/11/2005, 1:59 PM
Right .... to get the ball rolling ....

Cork City FC (Turners Cross) - Wi-fi eircom in the press box (have to buy time from eircom for it though, finding out those details now)

Anyone else ??

Slash/ED
13/11/2005, 10:27 PM
There's wireless in Tolka, that's how the live updates are done from there.

A face
14/11/2005, 11:32 AM
Lads, can we just get an idea of which clubs have an internet connection that can be used ??

Mark Breen
14/11/2005, 12:23 PM
I know Gareth has done live updates from Dalymount so i assume they have it

dcfc_1928
14/11/2005, 3:51 PM
Brandywell - no internet access.

A face
14/11/2005, 3:56 PM
Brandywell - no internet access.

Were those updates all from texts so ??

town73
14/11/2005, 7:51 PM
All Premier Division grounds should have wireless broadband access, where possible.

Eircom have sponsored the installation of broadband in the press boxes, to be used for journalists who have laptops that have WiFi connections.

For a fee, a club can rent a broadband line - about €10 a month. Longford does not have access cos the ground is located in an area where the exchange is not capable of providing broadband yet.