PDA

View Full Version : Healy out / Irish squad announced

Ruairi
07/05/2002, 1:16 PM
From ireland.com (http://ireland.com)

MAY 7th: Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy named his 23-man World Cup squad this morning and stayed faithful to the players who participated in the qualifying games.

The most contentious inclusions were probably those of Everton's Lee Carsley and Wolverhampton's Mark Kennedy, who have been handed tickets to Japan while Stephen Reid, Colin Healy, Gary Doherty, Rory Delap and goalkeeper Nick Colgan all face a summer in front of the television.

Republic of Ireland squad for the 2002 World Cup finals in Korea / Japan:

Goalkeepers: Shay Given, Alan Kelly, Dean Kiely.

Defenders: Steve Staunton, Ian Harte, Richard Dunne, Gary Breen, Andy O’Brien, Kenny Cunningham, Gary Kelly, Steve Finnan.

Midfield: Mark Kinsella, Matt Holland, Jason McAteer, Kevin Kilbane, Mark Kennedy, Lee Carsley, Roy Keane.

Strikers: Niall Quinn, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Clinton Morrison, David Connolly.

I dunno about ye lads but I don't think Lee Carsley would get his game for Ramblers. I know Mick wanted to go with the lads that got him to the finals but if you're looking for someone to come in and compose the team when they're 1-0 up with ten minutes to go then you'd want Colin Healy in there, not that stutterin gobsheen Carsley. It's a joke!

Schumi
07/05/2002, 2:02 PM
Yeah, I was surprised he picked Carsley. I don't rate the guy at all.

gwanyagoodting
07/05/2002, 4:06 PM
Never mind Carsley, I can't understand why the hell Mark Kennedy is going. He hasn't had a bad season, but he has proved that he can't cut it at the top level both in the Premiership and while playing for Ireland. Add that to the incident with Phil Babb and you start to realise that he simply shouldnt be representing the country, especially in a position that we have no problems whatsoever (Duff, Kilbane). He's useless on the right, in which case Delap or Healy wouldve been better choices.

SÓC
07/05/2002, 5:18 PM
Originally posted by gwanyagoodting
Never mind Carsley, I can't understand why the hell Mark Kennedy is going. He hasn't had a bad season, but he has proved that he can't cut it at the top level both in the Premiership and while playing for Ireland. Add that to the incident with Phil Babb and you start to realise that he simply shouldnt be representing the country, especially in a position that we have no problems whatsoever (Duff, Kilbane). He's useless on the right, in which case Delap or Healy wouldve been better choices.

Have to disagree, Kennedy is an amazing talent when he bothers, remember that goal against Croatia(I think???). Kennedy just has very rarely played to his potential a World Cup might be just the thing to make him kop on. As for Kilbane, I would much rather have the unpredictialbe Kennedy rather than the consistantly bad Kilbane especially since McCarthy considers Duff to be a striker.

The Legend
07/05/2002, 11:14 PM
I still think Gary Doherty deserved a place well ahead of the likes of Carlsey, Connolly and any one of the 3 donkey centres!

Pablo
08/05/2002, 9:13 AM
I was watching Gary Kelly's testamonial last nite. Healy was immense. Talk about a man with a point to prove! theres a fair chance of him getting in still. all eyes on saturdays matches for potential injuries....

kilbrin
08/05/2002, 9:52 AM
What about Portuguese league winner Phil Babb.
Why forgive Kennedy so quickly and not Babb.

Éanna
08/05/2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by kilbrin
What about Portuguese league winner Phil Babb.
Why forgive Kennedy so quickly and not Babb.
Ah sure, if he's not playing in England he can't be any good, can he :rolleyes: