PDA

View Full Version : footy version of the lions who would make the team?

anto1208
09/11/2005, 12:48 PM
if there was a footy version of the lions who would make the team ?

i reckon

Given
Finnan Terry Cambell A.Cole
Becks Lamps Keane Duff
Rooney Owen .

tetsujin1979
09/11/2005, 12:57 PM
No place for Giggs?

Dodge
09/11/2005, 1:03 PM
No place for Morrison?

gustavo
09/11/2005, 1:56 PM
i would have gary neville ahead of steve finnan but i suppose i am'nt supposed to say that.

noby
09/11/2005, 2:01 PM
A place for Keane?

ThatGuy
09/11/2005, 2:18 PM
Finnan and Keane wouldn't get near the team, though obviously if Keane was a few years younger he would walk into it. Given would start, Duff would be in contention.

It is a joke that Irish players play for the Lions anyway, and I say that as a keen rugby enthusiast who has played with Leinster.

finlma
09/11/2005, 2:23 PM
It is a joke that Irish players play for the Lions anyway, and I say that as a keen rugby enthusiast who has played with Leinster.

Interesting comment - care to back it up with some reasons?

JoeSemi
09/11/2005, 2:26 PM
No Gerrard before Keane? Your not with it there at all anto:confused:

drinkfeckarse
09/11/2005, 2:32 PM
Given and Duff would be the only 2 realisticly to make the first XI.

Poor Student
09/11/2005, 2:46 PM
Interesting comment - care to back it up with some reasons?

This forum isn't really the place for this. I think Anto just wants to see who you think is the best XI from these islands. A fair enough question. If you disagree with our inclusion in the lions then post it in the Other Sports forum.

Dublin12
09/11/2005, 2:51 PM
Given and Duff would be the only 2 realisticly to make the first XI.

I'd agree with that,basically it would be the England team with those 2 included.

jockser
09/11/2005, 3:00 PM
Finnan would walk on to the team no problem......no better right full in the 2 islands. Keane maybe a few years ago not now. Given yes and duff yes.

finlma
09/11/2005, 3:00 PM
This forum isn't really the place for this. I think Anto just wants to see who you think is the best XI from these islands. A fair enough question. If you disagree with our inclusion in the lions then post it in the Other Sports forum.

Fair point - would be interested to hear ThatGuy's comments though. Care to start a new thread ThatGuy in Other Sports?

Getting back to this thread - only Given and Duff would have a chance. No Welsh, no Scots.

jockser
09/11/2005, 3:07 PM
Getting back to this thread - only Given and Duff would have a chance. No Welsh, no Scots.
Eh right full?

joeSoap
09/11/2005, 3:07 PM
Given (Robinson); Neville (Finnan) Terry (Campbell) Woodgate (Dunne) A Cole (none spring to mind): Beckham (Gerrard) Lampard (Joe Cole) Keane (Barry Ferguson) Duff (Giggs) : Rooney (Hartson) Owen (Elliott).

finlma
09/11/2005, 3:12 PM
Eh right full?

Finnan might make it as a sub but no more. I'm afraid Steptoe Neville would get in there.

joeSoap
09/11/2005, 3:15 PM
A squad of 23 would probably travel, incorporating 3 keepers,8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 strikers;

Goalkeepers: Shay Given, Paul Robinson, Maik Taylor.

Defenders: Gary Neville, Steve Finnan, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Jonathan Woodgate, Richard Dunne, Ashley Cole, Danny Gabbidon.

Midfielders: David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Roy Keane, Barry Ferguson (token useles Scot) Damian Duff, Ryan Giggs.

Strikers: Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, John Hartson, Steven Elliott.

Manager: Lawrie Sanchez, assistant Steve McLaren.

anto1208
09/11/2005, 3:38 PM
rather than just telling me what you think is wrong with my team how about offering ye're own into the conversation and maybe reasons why you made the changes ......( good man joe )

to answer a few of the responces

duff ahead of giggs this one gave me a lot of problems i was nt really too sure i reckon its very close i picked duff because of his age , giggs lately has been a little bit inconsistant and isnt getting any younger .

Keane defo in the team the only player that would come close to taking his place would be Gerrard but as everyone can see lamps and gerrard dont do well for england they are too similar , keane would give you a better balance .Plus gerrard is way too inconsistant keane is a better organiser and tackler , a 34 year old keane is still better than a 24 year old gerrard .

id go with finnan because he is better at getting foward than neville same as with A.Cole and with terry and cambell as your CB's you can let your full backs get up the pitch with out leaving yourself short in defence .also since im playing becks and duff who are nt great tacklers id want my full backs playing higher up the pitch to help out

Clifford
09/11/2005, 4:06 PM
Kirkland

Finnan Terry Dunne Cole (A)

SWP Carrick Ireland Duff

Rooney Elliott

Subs Dawson, Defoe, Maloney, Capaldi, Cole (J)

Risteard
09/11/2005, 4:23 PM
A squad of 23 would probably travel, incorporating 3 keepers,8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 strikers;

Defenders: Gary Neville, Steve Finnan, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Jonathan Woodgate, Richard Dunne, Ashley Cole, Danny Gabbidon.

Midfielders: David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Roy Keane, Barry Ferguson (token useles Scot) Damian Duff, Ryan Giggs.

Wow.
I'd nearly totally agree with that squad minus Hartson, add in Defoe.
Poor Norn Iron don't make the cut although Healy isn't too far off the like of Elliot to be fair.
Incidentally, fair play Anto.
I'm a big fan of these kind o threads.
Now for the 'lads who do ye think is the worlds best player?' and Earths Starting 11 threads.:D :D

JoeSemi
09/11/2005, 5:17 PM

God, these posts bring out the best in some people alright:rolleyes:

Your not far off overall joe but to even consider putting Woodgate and Gabbidon in before Ferdinand and Carragher is a bit far-fetched. Only hardened observers of West Ham and Cardiff would think along the same lines as regards Gabbidon, and as far as Woodgate goes the less said the better!

Hartson and Elliott? Surely Bellamy has proven himself more than Elliott over the years and there are a bundle of alternatives for Hartson. None may fit the same criteria as 'Big John' but surely Defoe, Heskey, Crouch, Andy Johnson and Darius Vassell all have more to their game. None are quite as hefty but more effective all the same!

dutch
09/11/2005, 6:21 PM
snoop dogg

how about the worlds greatest chipper?(not as in liam brady )with siganture dish mentioned

have to agree withv joe semi .dopey threads like this are better than slaggin off the wovers or venables

sylvo
09/11/2005, 10:37 PM
We had a Fox terrier who was good at football and we now have a border Collie who is pretty handy at football also, she loves a game, but a lion I don't know, I think trying to take on one of them babys in a game or give them orders would be dangerous.

gustavo
09/11/2005, 10:43 PM
Agree with JoeSoaps squad but would have Carragher ahead of Gabbidon

anto1208
10/11/2005, 9:11 AM
lads picking a squad is too easy its only the starting 11 i want ,you need the selection headache of only picking 11 , picking a squad is easy there is only about 24 players that would get near it anyway so it picks it self .

NeilMcD
10/11/2005, 9:29 AM
Goalkeepers: Shay Given, Paul Robinson, Craig Gordon

Defenders: Gary Neville, Steve Finnan, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Ledley King, Richard Dunne, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand

Midfielders: David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Roy Keane, Barry Ferguson Damian Duff, Ryan Giggs.

Strikers: Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, John Hartson, Last place is a toss up between Defoe, Keane and Bellamy Andy Johnson

anto1208
10/11/2005, 9:51 AM
Goalkeepers: Shay Given, Paul Robinson, Craig Gordon

Defenders: Gary Neville, Steve Finnan, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Ledley King, Richard Dunne, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand

Midfielders: David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Roy Keane, Barry Ferguson Damian Duff, Ryan Giggs.

Strikers: Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, John Hartson, Last place is a toss up between Defoe, Keane and Bellamy Andy Johnson

what did i just say !!LOL

Countyman
10/11/2005, 9:58 AM
Given
Finnan - Terry - Campbell - Cole
Gerrard - Keane - Lampard - Duff
Rooney - Ferguson

I reckon that team would trounce New Zealand and Australia and even South africa at soccer. Big Drunken Ferguson is in purely to unsettle the Maoris (Umaga et al) and allow space for Roo to do the biz.

NeilMcD
10/11/2005, 10:04 AM
What about a Barbarians team Lions plus the French

gustavo
10/11/2005, 10:15 AM
Given

Neville - Terry - Thuram- Cole

Beckham - Makelele - Lampard - Zidane

Henry - Trezeguet

anto1208
10/11/2005, 10:16 AM
Given
Finnan - Terry - Campbell - Cole
Gerrard - Keane - Lampard - Duff
Rooney - Ferguson

I reckon that team would trounce New Zealand and Australia and even South africa at soccer. Big Drunken Ferguson is in purely to unsettle the Maoris (Umaga et al) and allow space for Roo to do the biz.

big dunc would probibly just get sent off , why did you pick gerrard on the wing instead of becks ?

NeilMcD
10/11/2005, 10:18 AM
Given

Gallas - Terry - Thuram- Cole

Giuly - Makelele - Lampard - Duff

Henry - Rooney

joeSoap
10/11/2005, 10:49 AM
Given

Thuram- Terry- Woodgate

Bechkam- Keane- Lampard- Viera- Duff

Henry- Rooney.

finlma
10/11/2005, 10:54 AM
What about a Barbarians team Lions plus the French

Barbarians is a world team in rugby.

ThatGuy
10/11/2005, 11:44 AM
Fair point - would be interested to hear ThatGuy's comments though. Care to start a new thread ThatGuy in Other Sports?

In my opinion the Lions is an entirely British entity, despite the recent removal of the word "british" from the title of the team. I do not think that Ireland should be a part of the team unless it is to become a representative side of the 6 nations tournament.

jockser
10/11/2005, 12:05 PM
Finnan might make it as a sub but no more. I'm afraid Steptoe Neville would get in there.
funny......very funny

sparkey
10/11/2005, 12:06 PM
SQUAD:

Defenders: Gary Neville, Steve Finnan, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Jonathan Woodgate, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Jamie Carragher.

Midfielders: David Beckham, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Barry Ferguson, Damian Duff, Ryan Giggs.

Strikers: Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, John Hartson, Jermaine Defoe.

STARTING 11:

S Given
G Neville - J Terry - J Carragher - A Cole

D Beckham - S Gerrard - F Lampard - D Duff

W Rooney - M Owen

JoeSemi
10/11/2005, 12:29 PM
SQUAD:

Defenders: Gary Neville, Steve Finnan, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Jonathan Woodgate, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Jamie Carragher.

Midfielders: David Beckham, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Barry Ferguson, Damian Duff, Ryan Giggs.

Strikers: Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, John Hartson, Jermaine Defoe.

STARTING 11:

S Given
G Neville - J Terry - J Carragher - A Cole

D Beckham - S Gerrard - F Lampard - D Duff

W Rooney - M Owen

That team is a fair reflection of what any hypothetical team would look like. At last somebody else has seen the light and realised that Roy Keane is past his sell-by-date. There's a lack of acceptance on a lot of peoples part to the fact that Keane is not the player he once was, and never will be again.

Henry Winter made this accurate observation about Keane in the telegraph on Tuesday: "In modern midfields young legs are required to live with dynamos like Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard. For all his ring-craft, Keane can be exposd over 90 minutes of stamina-sapping combat......Such sad reality explains Ferguson's redesigning of his team to accomodate the ageing general, isolating Ruud Van Nistelrooy in attack to put another body in midfield, an insurance policy against the one fight Keane cannot win. The warrior from Cork has conquered most opponents, but not Father Time."

Countyman
10/11/2005, 1:13 PM
big dunc would probibly just get sent off , why did you pick gerrard on the wing instead of becks ?

OK BIG Dunc is a bit of a joke , throw in Shearer (lion heart etc :rolleyes: )but

"becks" as you say is probably the most over rated player in the history of over rated players. Give him time and no doubt he can pass and cross a great ball but thats it.

Gerrard earned his spurs on the LFC right wing a few years ago and I moved him out there to may way for Keane.

I would include "Becks" in the squad just to boost sales of replica shirts and possibly in partnership with Brylcreem allow him to endorse their product as well.

Mensa of course would be emblazoned on Day-er-vids lappels and headgear.

I cannot comprehend how anyone sees value in this player at all.

gustavo
10/11/2005, 3:02 PM
i actually think he is underrated!
mostly cos most people i know think he is crap

anto1208
10/11/2005, 4:16 PM
whats all this keane cant play rubbish , did ye see him v france he was still the best player on the pitch . keane with no legs would still be a better option than gerrard , gerrard and lampard dont play well together neither organise the players at all , keane would give you that , watch any england game and you can see that i cant belive people would still pick them both its one or the other and on current form lamps is first choice .

also have ye not been watching real this season becks is on top form a real top class player , also having him for free kicks and corners alone its worth having him on the pitch .

ThatGuy
10/11/2005, 5:58 PM
There is no doubting that Keane was one of the great midfielders of the modern game, and while he is still a force to be reckoned with now he is long past his best. Right now Stephen Gerrard and Frank Lampard are simply better players than the Roy Keane of 2005. I don't think that either are a patch on the Keane of 1998, but who is?

Keane wouldn't get into a hypothetical "Lions" team ahead of either of those guys.

eirebhoy
10/11/2005, 8:01 PM
England have been playing absolutely pathetic football with no holding midfielder. The only game they actually played well without one was Croatia in Euro 2004 and even then conceded 2 goals. They've actually been no better than us recently tbh. They have had the rub of the green though (Wales deserved a draw in the MS, Azerbaijan deserved at least a draw in Azerbaijan, Austria were probably better than England in England). Roy Keane would walk into the England team and make them a much better team. Bloody Michael Carrick made them a much better team when he played both games in the US so Keane certainly would.

Gerrard is better than Lampard. He has everything Lampard has plus aggression and ability to tackle and work off the ball. Lampard didn't make the WC 2002 squad. He hasn't really changed dramatically since then. What has changed is the players around him. He has the bonus of Makelele and Essien to do the dirty work. If Gerrard was playing in such a solid team you'd see the best of his ability (actually every player could be included as the likes of Duff do a lot of work off the ball. Something which Garcia or Kewell wouldn't really do much of). 6 of Lampard's 10 goals this season were either peno's or pile-driver freekicks. He is one of the best goalscoring midfielders but Gerrard would easily have scored 4 outfield goals in the Chelsea team this team and still be a lot more effective overall.

anto1208
11/11/2005, 12:39 PM
There is no doubting that Keane was one of the great midfielders of the modern game, and while he is still a force to be reckoned with now he is long past his best. Right now Stephen Gerrard and Frank Lampard are simply better players than the Roy Keane of 2005. I don't think that either are a patch on the Keane of 1998, but who is?

Keane wouldn't get into a hypothetical "Lions" team ahead of either of those guys.

ive said this at least twice all ready gerrard and lampard dont work well together , why would you pick them ?

anto1208
11/11/2005, 12:41 PM
Gerrard is better than Lampard. He has everything Lampard has plus aggression and ability to tackle and work off the ball. Lampard didn't make the WC 2002 squad. He hasn't really changed dramatically since then. What has changed is the players around him. He has the bonus of Makelele and Essien to do the dirty work. If Gerrard was playing in such a solid team you'd see the best of his ability (actually every player could be included as the likes of Duff do a lot of work off the ball. Something which Garcia or Kewell wouldn't really do much of). 6 of Lampard's 10 goals this season were either peno's or pile-driver freekicks. He is one of the best goalscoring midfielders but Gerrard would easily have scored 4 outfield goals in the Chelsea team this team and still be a lot more effective overall.

gerrard is better if he is playing at the very top of his game but as every one can see he is way too inconsistant , out of 10 games he is class in one very good in 5 and goes missing in the other 4 , you rarely get a bad game out of lampard , there for he is a much better player .

ThatGuy
11/11/2005, 1:09 PM
ive said this at least twice all ready gerrard and lampard dont work well together , why would you pick them ?
I would blame the lack of cohesion in midfield on poor management and too many changes in formation. They are the best two midfielders and will find top form together eventually, and if they do before next summer and Sven gets a bit of cop on England are more than capable of living with any side.

eirebhoy
11/11/2005, 3:19 PM
gerrard is better if he is playing at the very top of his game but as every one can see he is way too inconsistant , out of 10 games he is class in one very good in 5 and goes missing in the other 4 , you rarely get a bad game out of lampard , there for he is a much better player .
Lampard is not as consistant as people say. He could be having a poor game, he'd score a goal and gets away with it. He'll always be consistant each week on match of the day but he could sometimes be anonymous in games.

I would blame the lack of cohesion in midfield on poor management and too many changes in formation. They are the best two midfielders and will find top form together eventually, and if they do before next summer and Sven gets a bit of cop on England are more than capable of living with any side.
In fairness, when Lampard plays as a central midfielder with Makelele being the only other central midfielder Chelsea usually always concede. Gerrard is also not mature enough to play the holding role. He can't resist getting forward and leaving the defence open. They'll never work together. Neither of them play well for England together. Gerrard hasn't played well since Sweden and Lampard goes missing in over half the games.

Dillo
11/11/2005, 6:58 PM
[QUOTE=JoeSemi

Henry Winter made this accurate observation about Keane in the telegraph on Tuesday: "In modern midfields young legs are required to live with dynamos like Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard. For all his ring-craft, Keane can be exposd over 90 minutes of stamina-sapping combat......Such sad reality explains Ferguson's redesigning of his team to accomodate the ageing general, isolating Ruud Van Nistelrooy in attack to put another body in midfield, an insurance policy against the one fight Keane cannot win. The warrior from Cork has conquered most opponents, but not Father Time."[/QUOTE]

Beautiful Joe

CollegeTillIDie
13/11/2005, 8:44 AM
There are no Republic of Ireland strikers on current form, better than David Healy so leaving the Wee North's ace man off the so-called " Lions" select is errant nonsense.

NeilMcD
14/11/2005, 10:24 AM
I cant believe people are not putting Craig Gordon in their squads, maybe not the teams but he is not far behind Paul Robinson, with Given as the best. But he is much much better than Maik Taylor who has cost Birmingham recently.