PDA

View Full Version : It's Terry O'Venables

Pages : [1] 2

wallis
08/11/2005, 4:47 PM
Price is crashing on Betfair , bookies arent taking any more bets on him !!!

Is it a done deal or a rumour gone mad ????????????

Coltron
08/11/2005, 4:54 PM
While I would use a handful of salt judging from the betting industry, Venables isn't a big surprise really. He has most of the boxes ticked so if he can show that he wants it he is a contender. Not my first choice thats for sure but would do a reasonable job.

the 12 th man
08/11/2005, 4:54 PM
1/4 on Paddy Powers atm.

silentbob
08/11/2005, 4:58 PM
Hard to know what to think of this one. Obviously has vast amounts of experience, at both club and international level but would he take it seriously? seems like a funny question to ask but he seems to be a bit of a joker to me. Maybe stan beside him as an assistant, ready to take the reigns when terry goes? Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this one, me at the moment 50-50. Need more time to think it through.

jbyrne
08/11/2005, 5:36 PM
dont want him near the country never mind managing our national team. absolute joke if this happens. does anyone think he will bring the enthusiasm or passion to the job that is currently required? i doubt it. how many of his recent appointments has he lasted more than a few months in?? he'll come in, milk it money wise for all its worth and then leg it. if its true it will set us back years

dublinred
08/11/2005, 5:55 PM
Jesus christ no , the guy is a joke.

4tothefloor
08/11/2005, 6:10 PM
He's a better manager than Kerr will ever be!

geysir
08/11/2005, 6:16 PM
1/4 on Paddy Powers atm.
Its not a done deal yet.
He has drifted out to 1/3, that gives some hope.

gustavo
08/11/2005, 6:35 PM
He's a better manager than Kerr will ever be!

What has he ever won ?
and what has he done in the last ten years ?

Adrianovic
08/11/2005, 7:19 PM
It would break my heart if Terry Venables got the job.

Any (unlikely) victory Ireland had would be tainted beyond all value, if it were guided by the hands of this crook.

Ade

macdermesser
08/11/2005, 8:06 PM
It would break my heart if Terry Venables got the job.

Any (unlikely) victory Ireland had would be tainted beyond all value, if it were guided by the hands of this crook.

Ade

Not trying to be smart but it looks to me to be a bookies bluff again .. price shortens, people wade in and then price goes out again until another red hot favourite appears. I don't think the headhunting phase has even started yet .. and the FAi did say they would take their time to find the right man. So why the rush to appoint Venables?

geysir
08/11/2005, 8:15 PM
2/5 now. Its sliding.

Superhoops
08/11/2005, 8:27 PM
According to RTE News: The betting company saw the steady flow of support for the Englishman in the Cork area, but within an hour the rumour had spread nationwide. Maybe they are trying to launder some of the Northern Bank cash!!!!:rolleyes:

Cowboy
08/11/2005, 8:39 PM
Probably a big bet went on and everyone else followed the odds down

Superhoops
08/11/2005, 8:50 PM
Probably a big bet went on and everyone else followed the odds down
I hope that is the reason and not that he is actually going to get the job!

FarBeag
08/11/2005, 10:01 PM
This would be an absolute disaster to Irish football. The man is a crook and what sort of passion does he have towards anything Irish. Fcuk off you imbecile.

Dodge
08/11/2005, 10:07 PM
Ex Pats player. Apparently a Pats connection is amust for the job

eirebhoy
08/11/2005, 10:20 PM
Ladbrokes: “It may be a red herring – but weight of money would suggest it’s a done deal.

“Next manager markets are volatile at the best of times and a few quid can change the betting quite quickly.

“But we tried to stay on the right side of this one as quickly as possible - and may just have failed.”

Dodge
08/11/2005, 10:24 PM
BTW FIntan Drury (Kerr's agent and agent of other irish players) is one of top people in Paddy power...

Superhoops
08/11/2005, 10:25 PM
Ladbrokes: “It may be a red herring – but weight of money would suggest it’s a done deal.

“Next manager markets are volatile at the best of times and a few quid can change the betting quite quickly.

“But we tried to stay on the right side of this one as quickly as possible - and may just have failed.”
Paddy Power has taken it off line in last 30 minutes or so. Reckon we will know tomorrow if it is a done deal or else Stan will resume as favourite.

deadman
08/11/2005, 11:51 PM
drury'd be out of the loop

out the door with kerr

reckon another red herring .... won't be done til new year - i hope

tricky_colour
09/11/2005, 1:25 AM
How did we miss out on Graham Rix?

Dodge
09/11/2005, 7:25 AM
drury'd be out of the loop

out the door with kerr

Don't kid yourself. His company are used by the FAI quite a lot and he'd definitely know way before us. The Venables thing seems another opne of these money following money type bets...

Tired&Emotional
09/11/2005, 8:09 AM
Price is crashing on Betfair , bookies arent taking any more bets on him !!!

Is it a done deal or a rumour gone mad ????????????

I think you've been reading too many Evening Heralds with a stupid thread title like that:)

drinkfeckarse
09/11/2005, 8:17 AM
I'd be a bit worried that he's just taking the job to top up his pension. Seems to me he's never been a serious manager in about 10 years just a couple of bit part roles here and there.

Superhoops
09/11/2005, 9:35 AM
Paddy Power has taken it off line in last 30 minutes or so. Reckon we will know tomorrow if it is a done deal or else Stan will resume as favourite.

Back up on line with PP:
TV: evens
Stan: 2/1
Gus Hiddink: 33/1

Looking more like Stan???

Tired&Emotional
09/11/2005, 10:01 AM
Well he (Verry Terribles!) has said on Sky Sports News this morning that he hasn't been approached by the FAI or hasn't applied either.....phew!

Hither green
09/11/2005, 10:07 AM
BBC reckon "However, the BBC understands that the FAI has made contact with the former England coach" and his agent Leon Angel (what a fantastic name) has apparently declined to comment.

They also quote the FAI as saying "The process is ongoing". It'll be ongoing forever when you haven't a f***ing clue what you're doing.

Roo69
09/11/2005, 10:08 AM
Terry Venables (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Venables)

Poor choice if true, Jesus Stephen Kenny or Rico could do a better job than him

NeilMcD
09/11/2005, 10:27 AM
Lads all the bookmakers do is make money out of betting. They do not offer views on who they think will get the job or not. If lots of people put money on Venables then they respond to the market simple as that. These next manager things are a joke. I would say it will be after Christmas before we get a manager in place. I reckon a January appointment in time for the draw for Euro 2008

Dublin12
09/11/2005, 10:38 AM
As a Leeds fan I thought I'd seen the back of Verry Terribles,once in a lifetime is enough I can assure you,anyway if true expect to see players playing out of position,and a lovely christmas tree formation,he might even drive Duffer to Italy as he once said about Dacourt and he might even try and get Paul Okon and Irish passport:eek: :D :rolleyes:

shakermaker1982
09/11/2005, 10:39 AM
I am crying here at work.

FFS

Tired&Emotional
09/11/2005, 10:44 AM
.....I can assure you,anyway if true expect to see players playing out of position,and a lovely christmas tree formation:

:D:D ......

dutch
09/11/2005, 12:29 PM
This has to be a sick joke.I d rather have Mick the pirck back than that english mercenary,the mans as bent as a nine euro note.Lets not forget his attitude that the mighty england should beat `lesser footballing nations`such as Ireland as a matter of course.Even the bunch of dodgy aul fellas runnin the FAI would be no match for the english wide boy.

shakermaker1982
09/11/2005, 12:38 PM
why is stan getting such a strong backing? What experience has he got as a manager? TBH I'd rather have El Tel than O'Leary but that isn't saying much. I've seen Megson getting a mention but why not Warnock? Not my cup of tea

dandewolf
09/11/2005, 12:48 PM
I've heard it's a 31 month deal to take him past the Euros worth 5 million euros!!!
I don't like the bloke but I've just emptied my Betfair account on him so I win either way!

Tired&Emotional
09/11/2005, 12:51 PM
I've heard it's a 31 month deal to take him past the Euros worth 5 million euros!!!
I don't like the bloke but I've just emptied my Betfair account on him so I win either way!

Source please ???!!:eek:

macdermesser
09/11/2005, 12:53 PM

and mr one poster can you tell us your source?

drinkfeckarse
09/11/2005, 12:54 PM
If it was/is Venables that gets it then you can be sure he'll be on huge money. He has a high opinion of himself and doesn't come cheap. He walked away from Spurs and Leeds with massive pay-offs.

The above figure is something I'd believe that he'd look for but surely the F.A.I. couldn't aford that???

dandewolf
09/11/2005, 1:07 PM
My mate's a courier in Dublin and had to go to Merrion Sq this morning. That's what the girl on the desk said the rumour was. It may be all rubbish.

Tired&Emotional
09/11/2005, 1:16 PM
Phew, for a second there i thought we were fcuked !!

gaf1983
09/11/2005, 2:28 PM
still have a good feeling about martin o'neill and 40-1 is good odds for one of the few decent candidates who isnt managing any club at the moment.

Schumi
09/11/2005, 2:38 PM
How did we miss out on Graham Rix?
LOL That would have been funny.

jbyrne
09/11/2005, 3:02 PM

another ridiculous rumour to add to the hundreds already out there. he's not worth 5c!

the 12 th man
09/11/2005, 3:03 PM
Telly Vegetables now evens,Stan @ 2/1

paddy powers

dutch
09/11/2005, 3:54 PM
i dont care what you emptied .the point is were facing being managed by a dodgy english cnut

Peadar
09/11/2005, 4:07 PM
a dodgy english cnut

His nationality shouldn't be an issue.

I want a competent, and experienced coach who will get the best out of the players available.

That's the only reason why I don't want el Tel.
Nothing to do with where he was born.

dutch
09/11/2005, 4:24 PM
His nationality shouldn't be an issue.

I want a competent, and experienced coach who will get the best out of the players available.

That's the only reason why I don't want el Tel.
Nothing to do with where he was born.
have to agree but the english bit doesnt help either

the 12 th man
09/11/2005, 4:35 PM
have to agree but the english bit doesnt help either

You're not doing yourself any favours with the above,You can't dis a whole Country like that.
You could be accused of racism.............

Hither green
09/11/2005, 4:40 PM
Why the big rush?

I was thinking that. I was all for an immediate replacement when Kerr was let go, if nothing else it would have given the impression that the FAI knew what they were doing. But after waiting so long I'd prefer to wait a while longer to see what happens... who gets the Hearts director of football job; who's the first to get the english premiership boot etc etc.