PDA

View Full Version : Champions vrs athlone

Rory H
07/11/2005, 2:35 PM
:cool: :D o wey o wey o wey

so eh we have to play this team saturday before they give us the trophy...just for the cameras like

2-0 rovers-mc tiernan...players to be steamed before final whistle..

att..3000..we can do it:cool:

The Stars
07/11/2005, 5:07 PM
1-0 to Athlone.........only joking,
3-0 to the Champions.Flannery hat trick

Mayo Red
07/11/2005, 5:17 PM
2-1 to Rovers, McTiernan and Brown to score. Athlone would love to throw a spanner in the works though!!

nephin
07/11/2005, 6:54 PM
5-0 Rovers:cool:
McT with 3.
Gerry Carr and Sean Conners to come on and score two late goals!!!:D

sligoman
07/11/2005, 6:56 PM
Hate to ruin the party mood here but I wouldn't be surprised if Athlone actually held us to a draw. They are well capable of it and right now, I'd be happy with a 1-0 win. McTiernan to score it;)

nephin
07/11/2005, 6:59 PM
Hate to ruin the party mood here but I wouldn't be surprised if Athlone actually held us to a draw. They are well capable of it and right now, I'd be happy with a 1-0 win. McTiernan to score it;)

You just has to ruin it didn't you.....:D

red arrow
07/11/2005, 7:37 PM
according to all the papers this game is on sat eve can anyone confirm wheather its thursday or sat. also it is not 100% certain that the 1 st division will be decided on goal difference this is something that should be clearly clarified with those in the know. i have being informed by a fairly reliable source that this is the case. so its a bit unnerving that we are declaring ourselves champions. olease can someone check this out for sure. also it is important that sean connors has the players totally focused for this game sat night we just dont want a poor performance with a big crowd. athlone will be out to beat us make no mistake about that

SligoBrewer
07/11/2005, 8:59 PM
everyone is out to beat us now.WE'RE THE CHAMPIONS!!! WAHEY!!!:p

feo123
07/11/2005, 9:04 PM
Hope the dundalk-cobh match is on saturday..add to the small bit of tension we may have...would be better if its not on thursday because if its definately won by saturday it may deter people from coming and it will be better if we win it for definate on saturday not thursday!

sligoman
08/11/2005, 1:07 PM
Hope the dundalk-cobh match is on saturdayAccording to Errortel (http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p220.htm), the Dundalk/Cobh match and our match both kick-off at 7:45pm on Saturday night;)

Ash
08/11/2005, 2:24 PM
0-1 to us with Paugie Moran netting the winner

We finally remembered that its Ok to win and draw
games so I wouldnt be surprised if we got a result
on Saturday.

We should get into Mooneys around 5.30 so see ye then

sligoman
08/11/2005, 2:26 PM
0-1 to us with Paugie Moran netting the winnerAh Jaysus no, he'd never do that to his old club;) :p

Battery Rover
08/11/2005, 8:32 PM
We should get into Mooneys around 5.30 so see ye then

Yep a few cool ones to get the vocal cords lubricated.

sligoman
08/11/2005, 8:37 PM
We should get into Mooneys around 5.30 so see ye thenYe'll be able to watch the video (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=383341&postcount=32) so;)

Battery Rover
08/11/2005, 8:45 PM
Ye'll be able to watch the video so

Might even show a bit of a cup quarter final between Athlone and Sligo about 25 years ago I think. Went on for a couple of weeks and in the end we played each other about 3 times in a week before we got a result.

Remember travelling in the snow up and down for the replays. Finally we won 2-0 goals from Padraig O'Connor and Dennis Clarke in the Showgrounds.

What a classic cup tie.

The Stars
08/11/2005, 8:54 PM
hope the Athlone fans enjoy the celebrations and ye will be welcome to sing and celebrate with us.

Battery Rover
08/11/2005, 9:07 PM
Everywhere we go we try to sing and keep the drums going for the 90 mins and we always enjoy ourselves.

Great for the league that a team from the provinces has got promoted. Hopefully ye stay up and we can get to join ye soon.

I would say that some sort of 22 team division will exist next season though. Lot of support for it within the league committees apparently.

The Stars
08/11/2005, 9:13 PM
would love to see Athlone get up next season.Ye have great support,even when ye are bottom of the league the die hearts still come out and sing.
Invite ye to come over to Mooneys before the match and join us on the town after we lift the trophy.

Battery Rover
08/11/2005, 9:21 PM
Invite ye to come over to Mooneys before the match and join us on the town after we lift the trophy

Will definitely see you in mooneys before the match. Dont think that the liver would hold out for after the match. We are meeting at 2.30 for a few before the bus and leaving at 3 so a long day on the beer. As Ash posted above we should be there around 5.30.

Alty Rover
08/11/2005, 10:15 PM
I would love to be there but unless Altrincham's game with Exeter City is postponed very early,I will not be able to celebrate with you.I will console myself with the thought of the opportunity of seeing a few games next season!!

Brian

feo123
09/11/2005, 11:16 AM
Do ya play for altringham or what??

gustavo
09/11/2005, 12:04 PM
Padraig was our best striker for about 5 years he is a Showgrounds legend and i hope he gets the respect he deserves.

Ash
09/11/2005, 1:25 PM
Paugie has always got a good reception in the Showgrounds and
rightly so. I presume Saturday will be no different ... even if he does
nick the winner ;)

sligoman
11/11/2005, 11:31 PM
Sligo Rovers manager Sean Connor is hoping for another bumper turn-out at the Showgrounds this evening (Saturday) as his side seek the result they need against bottom-of-the-table Athlone Town to seal the eircom League First Division championship.

Sligo are six points ahead of second-placed Cobh Ramblers with two games remaining.

A draw this evening will be enough to secure the title, while they will be confirmed as champions regardless of the outcome of their game if Cobh fail to win in Dundalk.

And Belfast man Connor, who has exacted a major turnaround in the club’s fortunes since taking over last year, is hoping to give the Showgrounds faithful a reason to celebrate.

He told the club’s official website: “I’d heard about the famous Showgrounds roar before I came to Sligo and we’ve began to hear it in the last few games.

“The fans have been fantastic all season, home and away, but the support in the last four or five games at home has been brilliant and we’re really looking forward to a big crowd on Saturday night.

“So hopefully we can deliver and give them something to celebrate.”

Athlone have been showing better form in recent weeks, but they remain nine points adrift at the foot of the table going into this game.

With Sligo expected to be declared as champions by bedtime, the race for second place involves Cobh and Dublin City, although Galway United – victors over Kildare on Friday night – and Kilkenny City will be hoping for that pair to slip up and allow them steal through.

Cobh make the long journey to the north-east to take on Dundalk, while Dublin City, a point adrift of the south coast side going into the weekend, take on second-from-bottom Monaghan United at Whitehall.

From here. (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19946)

And a preview. (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/previews/preview.asp?pid=402)

Rory H
12/11/2005, 10:11 AM
Get your flags out again lads for this game. I saw the potos in the Sligo Weekender it looked class up in Monaghan

i have my champions flag from 1994:D

feo123
12/11/2005, 11:47 AM
i have my champions flag from 1994:D
Thats a quality flag! ;)

Red4Eva
12/11/2005, 1:56 PM
don't think there will be any handshakes between SC and Gill tonight judging from SC's comment bout him on ocean earlier. would love to humiliate athlone after what he said bout us after st.mel's game.

5-0 flannery2, mctiernan, burns(pen) and...............faz

The Stars
12/11/2005, 2:41 PM
why what did the special one say about Gill?

sligoman
12/11/2005, 4:51 PM
I heard a rumour that Glasgow Celtic manager Gordon Strachan is in town tonight:eek:. Maybe he'll be presenting the trophy to us;). Hope he's not on a scouting mission though:(

Redtop
14/11/2005, 4:38 PM
I heard a rumour that Glasgow Celtic manager Gordon Strachan is in town tonight:eek:. Maybe he'll be presenting the trophy to us;). Hope he's not on a scouting mission though:(
seen neil lennon in town aswell there must have been a charity event r something

sligoman
14/11/2005, 4:39 PM
seen neil lennon in town aswell there must have been a charity event r somethingHeard that too but was he at the match though?:confused: