PDA

View Full Version : Who are WFAI and what do they do?

Numero
06/11/2005, 1:42 PM
An element of mystery surrounds the WFAI. Like their counterparts in MI5, the CIA and the defunct KGB, they appear to be sworn to secrecy on their activities.

On a serious note, it would be interesting to know what exactly they are doing. Anyone know?

CollegeTillIDie
12/11/2005, 8:57 AM
An element of mystery surrounds the WFAI. Like their counterparts in MI5, the CIA and the defunct KGB, they appear to be sworn to secrecy on their activities.

On a serious note, it would be interesting to know what exactly they are doing. Anyone know?

Ok. The Women's Football Association of Ireland has an executive consisting of 10 members. They are responsible for overall administration of Women's football in the country. They are supported by provincial councils in Ulster( effectively Donegal), Connacht, Leinster and Munster each of whom has a provincial representative. They meet several times a year. There is a competitions officer who is responsible for organising all the National Cup competitions at underage and senior level. There is also a National council where delegates from the four provinces nominated by their constituent leagues meet four times a year.

National Cups
From Under 12 up to Under 16 and at Intermediate level too the early rounds are run off on a provincial basis and each province provides either two quarter-finalists for the National phase of the Cup, or 1 semi-finalist depending on the numbers entering. After that it is a straight elimination but the draw can be either home or a long way away. The reason for the underage competitions being run this way is some teams complained about the cost of fulfilling fixtures in the far flung regions of the country and baulked at the prospect of entering the cup. This way the travelling is kept to a minimum until the business end of the competition.

At Under 18 and Senior level the cup is open draw. This came about because of a situation that arose in Under 18 level some years ago in Munster. Where the same two teams came out of the draw against each other three years running ( largely due to the scarcity of teams in Munster entering the Under 18 Cup at the time). In the first year of the open draw, the same two teams ended up playing each other.

At Senior level it has always been an open draw and hopefully always will be. But dwindling numbers led to an invitation to League selections to enter the competition and this has been well thrashed out on another thread. Anyway the winning club is entered into the Women's UEFA Cup in the absence of a National League.

Niamh O'Donoghue is the Chairperson, Pauline O'Shaughnessy is the secretary, Frances Smith is the treasurer, Sean Brodie is the International Officer, Ray Claffey is the Competitions officer and there are four provincial representatives... not sure who all of them are at present, and Marie Lawton is I believe the Public Relations Officer.

Numero
12/11/2005, 12:24 PM
Are these people paid or is it all voluntary

CollegeTillIDie
12/11/2005, 3:24 PM
Are these people paid or is it all voluntary

Totally voluntary and to be fair , many of these people are also in pressurised private sector employment, so is it any wonder it is difficult to see the game advancing?

Numero
12/11/2005, 3:42 PM
Well if they are totally voluntary that puts a different slany on things alright. Could the FAI not have a development officer with responsibility for women's soccer? It is all totally confusing.

If Noel King is full-time women's soccer manager what in the name of God is he doing Monday-Friday when the women's team isn't playing?

CollegeTillIDie
12/11/2005, 8:01 PM
Well if they are totally voluntary that puts a different slany on things alright. Could the FAI not have a development officer with responsibility for women's soccer? It is all totally confusing.

If Noel King is full-time women's soccer manager what in the name of God is he doing Monday-Friday when the women's team isn't playing?

There is a full-time RDO dedicated to Women's Soccer her name is Niamh Spratt and to be fair she has done a fair bit in the promotion of the game. But she is only a single individual. I am not aware of what Mr. King's duties are. I will ask him next time I see him;)

Numero
12/11/2005, 9:43 PM
I mean I'm sure there are alot of scouting missions and other tasks that must be done by women's international soccer manager, but beyond that, there is the development of women's game which would then be the preserve of the Development officer with FAI.

All seems a bit odd if you ask me.

CollegeTillIDie
12/11/2005, 11:21 PM
I mean I'm sure there are alot of scouting missions and other tasks that must be done by women's international soccer manager, but beyond that, there is the development of women's game which would then be the preserve of the Development officer with FAI.

All seems a bit odd if you ask me.

Well there was talk some years ago of having elite squads training regularly with a view to developing players capable of playing at International level and they were going to begin this process with an Under 15 squad as the first level of representation in Women's football is Under 17. And that other development squads would also be set up to prepare for Under 19 squad and full International squads and that this ( as it turns out now King's) appointment would be to oversee and prepare these elite squads. That might well have been done when Kinger was appointed.