PDA

View Full Version : David Connolly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

pete
05/07/2001, 6:55 PM
Joined AZ Alkmaar on a free transfer. Wanted 16k a week from Feyenord to stay :rolleyes:

AZ Alkmaar finished 13th in the Dutch 1st divison last year!

The Legend
05/07/2001, 9:13 PM
He must like life in holland then...

... maybe if he came off the smokes he might do better!

rebel yell
07/07/2001, 10:20 PM
Nope. He's gone to Wimbledon now... unless it's just for the Tennis. Could be head-tennis of course:D

jbrazil
07/07/2001, 11:17 PM
apperantly he wants to "score the goals that bring wimbledon back to the top." i think this move will be seen by mccarthy as a huge step up for him, and now he'll cement his place in the national side. lets just pray to god that quinn will be fit for the holland match!

The Legend
09/07/2001, 9:27 PM
Rumour has it Wimbledon already have plans to loan him out to Darlington...

Pauro 76
11/07/2001, 1:42 PM
Connolly must have one hell of an agent to get that much!!!!

pete
11/07/2001, 2:33 PM
Clearly Connnolly will go anywhere he gets the most money!

Its the only conclusion to him rejecting feyenord & CL football, then the dutch 1st division for the English 1st division :rolleyes:

Average players in England can probably earn more than anyway else in Europe. Connolly is the typical example of player who has a good season or two when hes young & can guarantee him self more money than hes worth for the rest of his career no matter how he performs living off previous reputation.

I'd say this move puts Connolly on a par with Foley at Watford?

The Legend
11/07/2001, 11:49 PM
Fair play to him..

... the world's highest paid donkey after the one in Shrek!

Gerry Desmond
12/07/2001, 2:53 PM
Read today that Feyenoord are replacing the Great One with Pierre Van Hoijdoonk :D
Gerry

niamh
15/07/2001, 8:02 PM
The Dutch he was initially moving to said he signed a contract with them and they want him to play for them and not get compensation from Wimbledon. Are they mad? Anyway unless it is sorted out before the season starts Connolly could be banned from playing football for a bit.

Brine
19/07/2001, 11:22 PM
Can't they just ban him altogether (ie not just from football) ?

Gerry Desmond
20/07/2001, 10:24 AM
Why is Connolly so unpopular? Just because he's a poor footballer seems a bit unfair on the lad...
Anyway, it's a failsafe bet that Van Hooijdonk will never fill his boots, not least because his feet are too big:D
Gerry

The Legend
23/07/2001, 6:45 PM
Why is Connolly so unpopular? Jealousy i think.
I mean he's probably an ok lad to have a few beers with, but if he can make that money playing the way he does, there's hope for all of us.

Shano
12/11/2002, 12:43 PM
Although David Connolly has hardly been a raging success for the Irish team, it seems strange that he is dropped on the back of scoring four goals for Wimbledon.

Éanna
12/11/2002, 2:45 PM
Hardly a raging success? The guy is awful- hartigan would be better than him :rolleyes:

pete
12/11/2002, 2:46 PM
No matter how many goals he scores for Wimbledon Connolly will always be dire at international level.

brine2
12/11/2002, 3:46 PM
I live in Holland and when Beenhakker left Feyenoord the first thing Van Marwijk, the new coach, did was bring back Connolly to the Feyenoord squad. Connolly had banned to Excelsior (Feyenoord's feeder team) because he got in a fight with Beenhakker, the old coach.

Connolly was brilliant for Feyenoord that season. A skilled player, he scored two goals and set up another one when Feyenoord beat Ajax 3-2 in the Amsterdam Arena and secured a Champions League spot. His contract was up and Feyenoord wanted to hold on to him, but he left because he wanted more money. Eejit, he should have stayed there.

Connolly is a good player, who never played great for Ireland because he Mick never had any confidence in him and wasn't afraid for it to be let known. Remember when Connolly scored a first half hat trick against Liechtensteind? Mick gave him a bollocking at half time. And let's not forget the time Mick took Connolly off after 20 minutes against Andorra. As a result Connolly's confidince suffered when playing for Ireland - no wonder he missed that penalty.

I think Connolly still has a lot to give to Ireland.

pete
12/11/2002, 4:15 PM
Originally posted by brine2
I think Connolly still has a lot to give to Ireland.

:rolleyes:

How many goals has Connolly scored for Irealnd?
How many international appearances?
How many of those goals have been scored against the team that finished in last in each qualifying group?

me thinks that should give you the answer why Connolly a waste of space.

The Legend
12/11/2002, 5:12 PM
I'm not a David Connolly fan but i don't think Graham Barrett's time is here just yet...

brine2
12/11/2002, 6:57 PM
I already explained why I thought Connolly played badly for Ireland, pete.

I'm not one to promote English first division players, but has anyone heard of Alan Lee? A friend of mine says he's doing very well for Rotherham.

The Legend
12/11/2002, 7:40 PM
Well he's their topscorer...

... i didn't realise he's irish though, where's he from?

brine2
12/11/2002, 10:50 PM
http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020323/59/cv1v9.html

He's from Galway. Apparently he's the second highest topscorer in the first division.

pete
13/11/2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by brine2
I already explained why I thought Connolly played badly for Ireland, pete.

He got taken off against Andorra cos he was useless against them. Are you telling me a professional footballer kept this grudge going all the way to the World Cup where he impacted on his performance.

:rolleyes:

I'm guessing Connolly would be lucky to have got 1 goal in his last 20 internationals? If i played that many minutes of international football i'd probably be likely to get the odd goal by pure luck.

btw any remember his senseless sending off in Belgium minutes after coming on as sub?

:(

fosterdollar
13/11/2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by The Legend
[B]Well he's their topscorer...

yup he's got 10 goals from 18 games so far, making him joint second highest scorer in div1...

...Connolly is joint third with 9

Sage
13/11/2002, 4:35 PM
How many of Robbie Keane's goals have been scored against rubbish opposition - three v Malta for starters.

Not a massive fan of Connolly - but nor would I damn the bloke. How many international goals has Duff got? What has Barrett done to deserve a place?

9 goals in 4 games albeit in the first division is a super return. Let's face it, we're not exactly overun with strikers.

And also remember, many of the teams we play at international level are no better than Nationwide standard - so Connolly fits the bill nicely.

The Legend
13/11/2002, 11:53 PM
Ehm, Robbie Keane..... World Cup!.... wasn't exactly Malta he was playing there lad!

As for Connolly? I am trying to think of one decent team he ever scored against!

pete
14/11/2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Sage
Not a massive fan of Connolly - but nor would I damn the bloke. How many international goals has Duff got? What has Barrett done to deserve a place?

Duff is a winger but still a better forward than Connolly.

I don't know if Barrett is good enough but suppose he deserves his chance - for sure Connolly has had so many chances at this stage.

Even if Connolly plays in the CL next season he still will not be an international quality forward - whole different set of skills required at club & international level.

Éanna
14/11/2002, 11:06 AM
Glen Crowe or John O´Flynn are as deserving of a chance as Connolly, if not more deserving

brine2
14/11/2002, 3:32 PM
All three deserve their place more than Graham Barrett, that's for sure.

The Legend
14/11/2002, 4:21 PM
I agree...

Since when is Brighton the new Inter Milan?

bitored
14/11/2002, 9:26 PM
Crowe and O'Flynn!!

I hope you're not trying to claim that the eircom league is up to the same standard as the English First Division? Get real.

The Legend
14/11/2002, 10:47 PM
Well i'm not, but Brighton aren't exactly the brightest star of English Division One football!

Shelsman
15/11/2002, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by pete

I'm guessing Connolly would be lucky to have got 1 goal in his last 20 internationals? If i played that many minutes of international football i'd probably be likely to get the odd goal by pure luck.

The problem is exactly that. Outside of the first two years of his International Career ( during which he had a very good match:goal ratio) Connolly's appearances have been in minutes -usually the last 10 or 15 of a match. So if you say that he has only scored one in his last 20 caps, that's because they were all token appearances. In fact I think he has done well in a lot of the limited appearances he did make and did score a few goals for us in the last few years.
His record at club level is exceptional so I don't think anyone can argue about that. If Connolly got a decent run in the Ireland team and was actually allowed to play the full 90mins he would do very well for us. Remember, Robbie Keane scored shag all goals during our qualifiying campaign ( one against Holland, one against Iran ) and he nearly always played the full match of each of the qualifiers. Granted, he did have a very good World Cup and is probably a better player than Connolly but that doesn't automatically make Connolly a bad player!

Éanna
15/11/2002, 3:30 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
If Connolly got a decent run in the Ireland team and was actually allowed to play the full 90mins he would do very well for us.
You´ve got to be taking the p¡ss?! You say his record at club level is very good- maybe thats cos he´s always playing second division football! He´s another one of those players who´ll do the job for his manager at an avergae club team and go to pieces the minute the standard gets any higher.

insomniac
16/11/2002, 8:42 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

You say his record at club level is very good- maybe thats cos he´s always playing second division football!

He plays first division football.

I could have sworn he dragged Wimbeldon back into the game against Norwich which they were losing by scoring 4 goals.

By the way Wimbeldon haven't lost since he returned from injury. But that's just coincidence isn't it. He obviously couldn't have had an effect seeing as a lot of you guys think he's rubbish, so therefore he must be. :confused:

I reckon give him a chance up front with Robbie Keane before we settle for Clinton Morrisson. Don't write him off just because he plays in the 1st Division. Matt Holland plays there and I'm sure he'll be guaranteed a place, why not Connolly?

Éanna
17/11/2002, 3:54 PM
Originally posted by insomniac
He plays first division football.
I thought the first division in england was the second division? as in there´s another division above it, so it´s second division.

fosterdollar
18/11/2002, 9:57 AM
what exactly happened there lads?

patsh
18/11/2002, 10:33 AM
From the Irish Times
18/11/02: As a good portion of the Irish squad for this Wednesday's friendly against Greece fell victim to an epidemic of minor injuries and informed Don Givens that they would not be fit to travel, David Connolly made it clear to the caretaker manager that having been left out of the original squad he simply wasn't inclined to answer the late call-up he received yesterday.

The original decision by Givens last week to omit the 25 year-old Wimbledon striker had been something of a surprise given the player's form of late for the London club. It was comfortably overshadowed last night, however, by Connolly's blunt refusal to join up with a squad that has lost 10 players, nine of them well-established, over the past 48 hours.

"I'm very disappointed with anybody who turns down his country," said Givens last night. "Whether it affects his international future or not has very little to do with me, I've made it clear that this is just a one off for me but I don't think it's the sort of thing that would look good on anybody's record."

Connolly's decision is all the more remarkable given that he would have been virtually guaranteed a start in Athens after all of the squad's other regular strikers, Clinton Morrison (groin), Robbie Keane (shoulder), Damien Duff (calf) and even Kevin Kilbane (shoulder) withdrew from the travelling party. Of those that remain only Gary Doherty has much experience of playing as an out and out attacker and it now seems that Glen Crowe of Bohemians may partner him up front at the start of Wednesday's match.

Crowe, who would be the first Eircom League player since Pat Byrne 16 years ago to be capped at senior level if he features, was one of four players who answered the call in the wake of withdrawals which also included Steve Carr, Gary Kelly, Ian Harte (all calf injuries), Mark Kinsella (ear infection), Graham Barrett (knee) and Andy O'Brien (family commitments). Mark Kennedy had already made it clear that he would not be travelling so soon after returning from a long lay-off.

In the circumstances, Connolly might well have simply informed Givens that he, too, was carrying a knock and could not make it but Givens was clear last night that the striker, who has scored nine goals in seven games for Wimbledon since returning from injury recently, would be absent, "because he hadn't been included in the squad the first time around".

Also included now in what was scheduled last night to be a group of 18 flying out this morning are Wesley Houlihan of Shelbourne as well as Coventry City pair Barry Quinn and Richie Partridge. With six players, including John O'Shea, Matt Holland and Gary Breen still not having arrived by early evening yesterday, Givens wasn't ruling out the possibility of having to cope with even fewer than that but, he said, "you have to get on with it and I still think it's a useful exercise and try telling the lads who will get their chance that it's lost its meaning."

Having had to cancel training yesterday, though, because only six players had arrived, the build-up so far can have done little to persuade Givens that he made a mistake by so quickly ruling himself out of the race to succeed Mick McCarthy.

REVISED SQUAD: Given (Newcastle), Kiely (Charlton), Colgan (Hibernian), Finnan (Fulham), O'Shea (Manchester Utd), Dunne (Manchester City), Doherty (Tottenham), Breen (West Ham), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Delap (Southampton), Holland (Ipswich), Carsley (Everton), McPhail (Leeds United), Healy (Celtic), Houlihan (Shelbourne), Partridge (Coventry), Quinn (Coventry), Crowe (Bohemians).

pete
18/11/2002, 10:47 AM
Connolly has since "declined" to join up with the irish squad for Greece so good riddance!

rolo
18/11/2002, 11:12 AM
if thats the way he feels then leave him out permanently the little whining ****!!

Real ale Madrid
18/11/2002, 11:24 AM
In fairness to Connolly after reading about the whole thing on rte.ie he didn't actually snub ireland he has an ankle injury. Sounds like a bit of a dodgy strory.

Éanna
18/11/2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by pete
Connolly has since "declined" to join up with the irish squad for Greece so good riddance!
Declined?! Arrogant little ****er :rolleyes: Who does he thimk he is? Roy Keane :eek: :D

Éanna
18/11/2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
Of those that remain only Gary Doherty has much experience of playing as an out and out attacker and it now seems that Glen Crowe of Bohemians may partner him up front at the start of Wednesday's match.

Crowe, who would be the first Eircom League player since Pat Byrne 16 years ago to be capped at senior level if he features
:)

rolo
18/11/2002, 12:06 PM
sure anelka has done the same to france today.
it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it...

Shano
18/11/2002, 12:17 PM
shocked with the amount of withdrawals - nothing wrong with any of them.

pete
18/11/2002, 1:03 PM
I don't know whether to admire Connolly or not for being honest & saying he didn't want a call up instead of making up an injury which i'm sure a few other the other withdrawals are doing.

Looks odds on that Crowe will play some part in the game too which is good.

With only 15 outfield players as well looks like Houlihan be in with good chance of a game...

Éanna
18/11/2002, 6:51 PM
connolly gives a different version of events here (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=8497&mainheading=Other&viewstory=yes)
After his row with Richie Foran, I can certainly believe that Givens may have behaved like that.

fosterdollar
19/11/2002, 12:41 PM
i dont know what sort of reaction I'll get to this but does anyone think that maybe its ok to not want to play an international match if you dont want to?

gustavo
19/11/2002, 1:28 PM
well im sure nicolas anelka would agree with you anyway!

fosterdollar
19/11/2002, 1:41 PM
but should they really have to be just injured not to play. What gives us the right to demand excuses from them?