PDA

View Full Version : David Connolly

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

tetsujin1979
27/09/2005, 4:42 PM
No one can say he has his favourites unlike some of the previous Irish managers.
I think Liam Miller and Alan Quinn would beg to differ. Also in previous squads, Barrett and Doherty's inclusion boggled the mind. The Doc is at least playing semi-regularly for Norwich now.

Jerry The Saint
27/09/2005, 5:17 PM
Fair play to Kerr is all I can say. No one can say he has his favourites unlike some of the previous Irish managers. Whether Doyle or Connolly can score a goal between them (not in our net) remainds to be seen. Hopefully we can get something out there in Cyprus and back home

This sickens me. :mad: Connolly is transferred to a Premiership club and is INSTANTLY deemed good enough to be selected in the Ireland squad. We can now add the Championship to the list of leagues that Kerr has no respect for.

Quite frankly I'm shocked that Brian "I have forgotten my roots" Kerr didn't pick Dominic Foley now that he has moved away from the ****ant, backwater eircom league that Kerr obviously hates so much. It's clear to me now why "PIMP-JUDAS" Kerr only turns up at Inchicore almost every other week to stand on the Camac side watching Pats (a team he hates - note how he did not pick Kevin Doyle for Ireland while Doyle played for St. Pats :( ). He is deliberately checking who plays in the eircom League so he can be sure he doesn't accidentally include one of them in an Ireland squad.

:p

Fergie's Son
27/09/2005, 6:05 PM
This sickens me. :mad: Connolly is transferred to a Premiership club and is INSTANTLY deemed good enough to be selected in the Ireland squad. We can now add the Championship to the list of leagues that Kerr has no respect for.

Quite frankly I'm shocked that Brian "I have forgotten my roots" Kerr didn't pick Dominic Foley now that he has moved away from the ****ant, backwater eircom league that Kerr obviously hates so much. It's clear to me now why "PIMP-JUDAS" Kerr only turns up at Inchicore almost every other week to stand on the Camac side watching Pats (a team he hates - note how he did not pick Kevin Doyle for Ireland while Doyle played for St. Pats :( ). He is deliberately checking who plays in the eircom League so he can be sure he doesn't accidentally include one of them in an Ireland squad.

You're creating a strawman. There have been calls for Connolly's inclusion for some time now. He was doing very well of Leicester and seems to have settled in at Wigan as well. Kerry picking him was the next logical step.

Dominic Foley is just not good enough. Glenn Crowe wasn't good enough either. Both failed on the bigger (and better) stage in England. The EL is just not good enough to expect a player to walk onto the Irish team. That's reality, move on.

dynamo kerry
27/09/2005, 8:39 PM

:D wind up merchant extroadinaire

what a load of nonsense.

interestinig squad. one fr the future

Irish Pride
27/09/2005, 9:31 PM
I can uderstand Kerr calling up Connolly but i'm not a big fan of him. In fact....i'd be a happy man if "Mr.Ireland greatest ever striker" never played again for us. He has never delivered for his country but i hope he can deliver this time.

Dont know much about Doyle...i know he has done really well for Reading and i hope he keeps it up cause i would like to see him start again Cypus. But you never no with Kerr....We might be beating Cypus 5-0 and Kerr will bring on Doyle with 2mins to go.

holidaysong
27/09/2005, 11:10 PM
Connolly and Robbie Keane to start against Cyprus, Doyle on as a "let's give him three minutes" substitute. Robbie and Clinton to start against Switzerland, Doherty on as a "time for the long ball tactic" substitute.

thejollyrodger
28/09/2005, 7:43 AM
Reading's Doyle handed World Cup chance by Kerr

KEVIN DOYLE had to pinch himself when he learned that he had been included in Ireland's squad for the make or break World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Switzerland.

The 22-year-old Reading striker first heard the news via some text messages from Ireland and then his mother rang him from their family home in Adamstown, Co Wexford, to tell him it had been on the radio.

"It definitely caught me by surprise because I was given no reason to think that I was going to be called in. I wasn't even aware that the squad was being named," said Doyle.

"I am thrilled. I think it is the first time somebody from Wexford has been called up and at a moment like this I'm thinking about Mick Wallace, Pat Dolan and all the other managers I have had and all the work they put into me - not to mention all the bollockings they gave me."

Doyle first caught the eye while playing for the Wexford team that won the FAI Inter League Youth Cup in 2000 and lost in the final the following year.

He was signed by Pat Dolan while he was at St Patrick's Athletic and then moved to Cork City in 2003 when Dolan took over on Leeside.

He joined Reading this summer in a £100,000 transfer at a time when he was top scorer in the Eircom League and Cork will earn a substantial bonus when he wins his first cap. "I don't think I would have liked to come to England when I was 16 but it has worked out for me after a lot of hard work," said Doyle.

Kerr watched him in Reading's recent win over Crystal Palace but gave no hint of what was to come.

"I was just told to keep it up but it was a good game for him to see me in because I played very well. It was one of my best performances for Reading and I got a good goal."

Doyle has scored goals at international level for the U-20s and U-21s but accepts this is going to be a lot different to what he has previously experienced.

Mick Wallace, who was on his way to Juventus' Champions League game in Turin last night when he heard the news, admitted he wasn't surprised.

"I was at the Crystal Palace game and he was super.

"I had a good feeling about him for so long that I could see him making it."

Kerr wouldn't be drawn on whether Doyle would win his first cap against Cyprus but said he had every chance.

"Kevin is in the squad and we don't have that many centre forwards. We will see how he does in the training," said the manager.

As expected, Wigan's David Connolly has been included in the squad. His last game for Ireland was against Switzerland two years ago.

Meanwhile, top coaches from all over Europe are to be given an insight into the success of Ireland's senior and underage teams today.

Senior team manager Brian Kerr, his assistant Chris Hughton and the FAI technical development director Packie Bonner will present a theoretical and practical demonstration to delegates attending the sixth annual UEFA Symposium for Coach Education Directors, which is taking place in Dublin this week.

The trio will address the 150 delegates from 52 countries at the Berkeley Court this morning before taking them to nearby Lansdowne Road for a practical demonstration involving local schoolboys.

Later today a mini-pitch, funded by UEFA's HatTrick Programme, will be officially opened in the capital.

Elsewhere, Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has become the new head of the UEFA Coaches Circle which will play an important role in keeping top coaches in contact and providing them with the latest information via a dedicated extranet service.

Gerry McDermott
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1476538&issue_id=13055

Doc' is a waste of time up front. Its about time Kerr gave other players a chance to have a go. It would be fantastic if one of them scored and put this doc up front to bed once and for all.

finlma
28/09/2005, 8:02 AM
Doherty on as a "time for the long ball tactic" substitute.

Doherty should never be in an Ireland squad again - he's inept at playing football and how he ever made it as a professional is beyond me.

Alan Quinn should be in for Liam Miller. Maybe Miller is being brough in for his bench warming skills.

Stuttgart88
28/09/2005, 8:21 AM
I think Liam Miller and Alan Quinn would beg to differ. Also in previous squads, Barrett and Doherty's inclusion boggled the mind. The Doc is at least playing semi-regularly for Norwich now.
Agreed. Kerr does seem to have his favourites & Miller is very much one of the. I'd like to think Kerr will give Miller the advice he needs to hear - MOVE SOON!

thejollyrodger
28/09/2005, 9:21 AM
Miller might get a few games this season, if he does then maybe he should stay. But he HAS to move at the end of the season if he doesnt get a first team place.

tetsujin1979
28/09/2005, 9:43 AM
Miller might get a few games this season, if he does then maybe he should stay. But he HAS to move at the end of the season if he doesnt get a first team place.
I doubt it, Roy Keane is out, Scholes is off form, Fletcher is no great shakes, and Ferguson still leaves Miller in the reserves, going with converted striker Alan Smith in central midfield. His stay at United is turning into a total joke, even football365 have taken to taking the p!ss out of him recently.

Stuttgart88
28/09/2005, 9:51 AM
Miller has made the bench for United last couple of games. He'll need more injuries to those ahead of him to have a chance I think. Ferguson can't afford to gamble on team selection any more with Chelsea taking a commanding lead so early. In my mind that's one of the biggest negatives of Chelsea's success. I have no time for Ferguson personally, but I''ve always admired his willingness to accomodate fringe players & youngsters.

BobbySands
05/11/2005, 10:35 PM
Whats happened to him at Wigan ? Injury ? Personality ? General ****eness ?

Stuttgart88
06/11/2005, 10:55 AM
Injury I think, though he wouldn't be first choice anyway.

endabob1
21/02/2007, 11:11 AM
He's very rarely performed in an Ireland shirt and is a classic case of too good for the 1st Division not quite good enough for the Premierhip level striker, personally I always believed that Morrisson offers more of a physical presence which none of the others do.

jmurphyc
21/02/2007, 11:18 AM
I haven't seen him play this season, but he's been tried before and wasn't up to it, and I don't think he's good enough, whereas whenever Elliott has played in an Ireland shirt he's always impressed me (although, again I haven't seen Elliott play this season), and against Sweden him, doyle and keane did appear to have a good understanding and his partnership with one of those two, or both of them could blossom.

Dr. Ogba
21/02/2007, 11:23 AM
The only reason I can think aganist his call up is Stan's increasingly obvious ageism.

Connoly has been possibly Sunderland's best player this season and continues to drive them forward towards promotion.

Where's the justification in ranking him behind Long, Morrison, Lee and in particular his lesser teammates Elliot and Stokes.

I think Stokes will prove to be a far better player than Connolly could ever hope to be so I'd sooner see him in the squad ahead of Connolly.

Can't see the point in him being called up tbh. He'll never start as he'll always be behind Keane (whether rightly or wrongly) and will never partner Keane as he's too similar a player. We're screaming out for a target-man to play alongside him at the mo. Wards a big lad isnt he? (cue the EL brigade...."suddenly he's good enough for Ireland blah blah blah"...:eek: :p )

macdermesser
21/02/2007, 11:23 AM
The only reason I can think aganist his call up is Stan's increasingly obvious ageism.

Connoly has been possibly Sunderland's best player this season and continues to drive them forward towards promotion.

Where's the justification in ranking him behind Long, Morrison, Lee and in particular his lesser teammates Elliot and Stokes.

Ciaran, how much is theworm2345 paying you for starting this thread?:p

youngirish
21/02/2007, 11:57 AM
Because he's sh*t and has had plenty of chances to impress at international level falling short each and every time with a consistency only John O'Shea can match.

What next should we call back Gary Doherty and Gary Breen back also to sort our defensive problems?

gustavo
21/02/2007, 11:59 AM
I wouldnt be against calling him up at all , I dont agree that he has been "****"" just not great but that goes for a lot of our players.

DmanDmythDledge
21/02/2007, 12:03 PM
I think Stokes will prove to be a far better player than Connolly could ever hope to be so I'd sooner see him in the squad ahead of Connolly.
International football is about results hear and now. No point picking young players because they will be better than others eventually. Let the clubs develop the players and then pick them when they are ready. (btw I'm not saying that Stokes isn't ready.)

eirebhoy
21/02/2007, 12:07 PM
Because he's sh*t and has had plenty of chances to impress at international level falling short each and every time with a consistency only John O'Shea can match.
Unfair. Connolly usually plays well when he's not playing beside Keane.

RiffRaff
21/02/2007, 12:07 PM
It wouldnt be a popular choice, but i think he should be in the squad also. Goalscoring has a lot to do with confidence so i reckon in form strikers should be in the squad. He hasnt impressed in the past but i often felt that was because he was trying too hard, i.e. dropping too deep to pick up the ball in places where he cant cause any damage. I really dont think Stokes, Long or Keogh are ready yet. They need half a season as first team regulars at their present clubs, and we could try them in the end of season friendlies

RogerMilla
21/02/2007, 12:10 PM
If connolly was banging them in at premiership level then he would merit inclusion , as it stands his previous performances in the green jersey go against him and let's face it some of them were woeful.
Also his protestation to don givens that he should be first choice for ireland when he didnt get called up for the greek game shows a player whose idea of his ability certainly doesnt tally with reality.
No thanks.

Wolfie
21/02/2007, 12:24 PM
.........as it stands his previous performances in the green jersey go against him his ability certainly doesnt tally with reality.
No thanks.

Agree with that. Some of his previous incarnations as flavour of the month (as there's been a few) have ended with some of the most frustrating performances from an Irish player in the games that mattered (ie, qualifiers).

If he manages to sustain this patch of form perhaps he would deserve a recall to the Irish bench but he'd hardly diplace Doyle from the first 11. Doyle is doing the business in the Premiership. Connolly and Keane have never gelled as a partnership.

You should pick your form players undoubtedly - but I'd hold off on declaring Connolly the new Messiah.

pete
21/02/2007, 12:31 PM
Connolly is a proven effective Championship player. He has multiple opportunities at International & Premiership level & has failed each & every time.

:rolleyes:

DmanDmythDledge
21/02/2007, 12:34 PM
He has multiple opportunities at International & Premiership level & has failed each & every time.

:rolleyes:
He only played one season in the Premiership and was given little chance to impress. He scored twice in four starts, and scored one goals in chances he got as a substitute.

Traps Cat
21/02/2007, 12:57 PM
Connolly has been the most consistant Irish player this season and deserves to be in the next squad

eirebhoy
21/02/2007, 1:09 PM
He was superb against Turkey beside Gary Doherty. He earnt a place beside Keane in Basel but as usual, the partnership didn't work. That was his last 2 games for Ireland I think? He has started maybe 25 games and whenever he's not partnering Keane he plays well.

youngirish
21/02/2007, 1:52 PM
He was superb against Turkey beside Gary Doherty. He earnt a place beside Keane in Basel but as usual, the partnership didn't work. That was his last 2 games for Ireland I think? He has started maybe 25 games and whenever he's not partnering Keane he plays well.

Yeah like when? He was rubbish even before Keane came into the senior team. He's a terrible player. Always the same cr*p comes around when he scores a few goals in the Championship regarding a recall. Leave him be. He's found his level and it's not International standard.

He'll be one of the first Sunderland players off loaded by Keane when they get promoted.

as_i_say
21/02/2007, 2:20 PM
Don’t think hes crap at all but is a championship player. Its been a rare occurrence that an Ireland first 11 has been all top flight.

Would agree that it is possible he will get off loaded if they get promoted, though himself and Keane are buds (apparently). Mark kennedy was the same- good championship player but was always off loaded from promoted clubs and apart from that goal against Yugoslavia 6 years ago he did nothing

Jerry The Saint
21/02/2007, 3:46 PM
Why Connolly won't be called up (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=53116) :)

eirebhoy
21/02/2007, 3:56 PM
Yeah like when? He was rubbish even before Keane came into the senior team.
I wouldn't agree with that.

pete
21/02/2007, 4:32 PM
Name 5 good international performances from Connolly?

The friendly performance against Turkey came on the back of 20 sh!te games before that.

9 goals in 41 internationals. i remember a hattrick against some minnow so thats 6 in 40. Never remember him score an international goal of significance.

I'd have Gary Doherty in attack before him.

Leeza
21/02/2007, 4:36 PM

LOL

Anto Stokes should play alongside Robbie. The problem with Connoly is that the English Championship is where he plays best, against mediocre opposition at best. He has never cut it at the top level and he never will. I predict he'll be playing with Cork, Derry or St. Pats next season or the season after.

pete
21/02/2007, 4:38 PM
I predict he'll be playing with Cork, Derry or St. Pats next season or the season after.

I can't speak for other clubs but he might get on the bench for us.

eirebhoy
21/02/2007, 4:46 PM
I'd take him in exchange for Zurawski at Celtic atm. :)

Brigader
21/02/2007, 5:49 PM
Give Conners the nod... nothin to lose at this stage anyway in my view, (both himself & team).... an amazin forward, he just plays s**t alot... :D

theworm2345
21/02/2007, 6:03 PM

He obviously deserves it but dont even bother with these folks, they're sold with the fact that he's no good.
The one chance he had in the EPL (last year) he was hurt most the season. He's never even had the chance to perform at that level.
Also, we sure could have used him against San Marino
P.S. EVERY IRISHMAN HERE SHOULD KNOW THAT CONNOLY/CONNELLY IS SPELLED CONNOLLY AND MORISSON IS MORRISON...CONNOLLY ESPECIALLY

Fergie's Son
21/02/2007, 6:10 PM
I would certainly call him into the squad. He would provide additional competition which is a good thing. Further, he would be a nice addition with 20 minutes to go in a match that needed a little fireworks.

He's too similar to Keane but is a decent replacement for him. Now, it may be that he does not want to play for us anymore but I would still call him up.

theworm2345
21/02/2007, 6:14 PM
Now, it may be that he does not want to play for us anymore but I would still call him up.
I doubt that
http://www.utvlive.com/newsroom/indepth.asp?pt=s&id=25896
I don't really remember this match, but apparently he was great
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:nnk53mwwy84J:worldcup.espnsoccernet .com/newsStory%3Fid%3D175636%26lang%3Dus+Ireland+boss+% 22Steve+Staunton%22+%22David+Connolly%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=us

duckynyc
21/02/2007, 8:00 PM
Connolly has had some aweful performances for Ireland and his hatrick against Liechtenstein (i think) is long forgotten BUT he is an in form striker with a lot of confidence and should at least be in the squad. He is def not the new Messiah but he is a goalscorer. Agree wit Eirebhoy on taking him to Celtic, he would do a better job than K.Miller.

Seano
22/02/2007, 10:13 AM
Name 5 good international performances from Connolly?

The friendly performance against Turkey came on the back of 20 sh!te games before that.

9 goals in 41 internationals. i remember a hattrick against some minnow so thats 6 in 40. Never remember him score an international goal of significance.

I'd have Gary Doherty in attack before him.

I can't name five, but I remember him having an outstanding game away to Romania, up front on his own a few years back. We got beat 1 nil ( I'm sure it was the game that Roy Keane missed a penalty) but he had such a good game that day that I think its worth mentioning.

tetsujin1979
22/02/2007, 10:53 AM
He was fantastic in the home game against Turkey as well, took a well deserved goal and looked hungry for another.

gustavo
22/02/2007, 11:22 AM
I can't name five, but I remember him having an outstanding game away to Romania, up front on his own a few years back. We got beat 1 nil ( I'm sure it was the game that Roy Keane missed a penalty) but he had such a good game that day that I think its worth mentioning.

I would like to see him back in the squad agian but I cant believe people are citing examples of games in which he played well for us which took place literally a decade ago:)

dr_peepee
22/02/2007, 11:27 AM
I rate him... Only as an alternative to Keane though. Ironic really that he's ahead of Elliot and Stokes at the SOL but behind them in Green.

Can see the logic in his exclusion somewhat in that if Keane is 100% fit it's a waste of a place in the squad. On the rare occasion that a fit Keane is substituted, it's gonna be for a tactical change in personnel. Connolly doesn't really offer that.

But on form Connolly's one of our best available forwards. On paper anyway himself and Doyle would make an interesting partnership.

eirebhoy
22/02/2007, 11:36 AM
I would like to see him back in the squad agian but I cant believe people are citing examples of games in which he played well for us which took place literally a decade ago:)
Well Robbie Keane made his debut almost a decade ago. :)

gustavo
22/02/2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah but the argument is "He should be in the squad , remember that time ten years ago he had a good game"

Wolfie
22/02/2007, 12:22 PM
While we're rolling back the years.

It may stray from the suggestion of "should he be in NOW on CURRENT form" but he still has to make amends for various ineffective performances over the years and nailing the coffin on our chances in the play-off with Belgium in 97.

I know its a decade ago, petty and mean spirited to continually dredge it up - but it was a rash and brainless challenge at the worst time possible. Everyone could sense the equaliser was coming.

I've gotten over it though, I swear!!!!!!.

reder
22/02/2007, 1:13 PM
A few things, firstly, here we have a striker who is consistently scoring goals in the Championship. As for his past performances, Duff, Keane, O' Shea, ...... have consistently put in shocking performances but this seems to be ok and no one is questioning their inclusion in the squad. As for those calling for Stokes, behave yourselves, the lad has done nothing since he went to Sunderland.

I would be shocked if Keane sold his most prolific striker if Sunderland got promoted. I would have Keane (since he is coming back to form now), Doyle (nearly there on fitness and should have a few games under his belt before Wales) and Conolly as our 3 main strikers for the next 2 games.