PDA

View Full Version : Jim Beglin/Trevor Steven

as_i_say
05/11/2005, 3:29 PM
Ok since I'm a 90's generation kid I have no idea how good Beglin was but I had always heard that his career was finished by an appaling tackle from Trevor Stephen.

Asked the aul lad recently and he said it was one of the worst tackles he had ever seen. It seems strange that RTE would recruit Stephen while Beglin has been commentating for us for years.

Anyone know anything about this. If my career was ended by an individual, the last thing I'd want to do is work with him, but they could be on good terms, who knows.

Saint Tom
05/11/2005, 3:39 PM
appaling tackle. am of the same generation as I say, but saw it a few times. Dont know why the state are paying some blue nose **** anyway for his opinion.

the premier**** is on now, stephens is giving analysis with beglin co-commentating. strange alright

as_i_say
05/11/2005, 3:48 PM
its true his dry sh ite-edness could only be equalled or surpassed by packie or john toshwa nk on tv3

eirebhoy
05/11/2005, 4:05 PM
I couldn't care what teams he played for but he knows more about football than all the other RTE pundits put together and someone I would listen too.

as_i_say
05/11/2005, 4:22 PM
even bill?

geysir
05/11/2005, 10:44 PM
Not Trevor, I'm pretty sure it was Gary Stevens, full back on full back. I heard Beglin say, maybe diplomatically (bearing in mind what Saint Tom remembers) that it was a 50/50 with Stevens a little late. Horror injury. Then he destroyed his cartilage in his comeback game and that effectively ended his career. I think he even made a second comeback before retiring. I don't think there were any worries for Left Back when he was around, strong tackler, attacking and skillful.

dynamo kerry
06/11/2005, 10:37 PM
geysir is correct I think. by the way..up the bluenoses

TheJamaicanP.M.
06/11/2005, 10:52 PM
appaling tackle. am of the same generation as I say, but saw it a few times. Dont know why the state are paying some blue nose **** anyway for his opinion.

the premier**** is on now, stephens is giving analysis with beglin co-commentating. strange alright

No need for your bigotted opinion. As Eirebhoy said, Stephens is a good analyst. His former teams should not have a bearing on things.

Dotsy
07/11/2005, 9:11 AM
Trevor Stephen is an excellent analyst. I couldn't give a shi*te who he played for.

Tired&Emotional
07/11/2005, 9:24 AM
...and what the hell has Mark Kinsella got to offer on that panel??!! He just repeats what the other panelist says in his own inimitable way! - talk about an ex pro trying to get on the pundit bandwagon to make a few quid...to fond of the gargle as a pro, imo and from exp when the Irish team stayed in Dublin for Intls, no respect for the lad..

Peadar
07/11/2005, 9:40 AM
he knows more about football than all the other RTE pundits put together and someone I would listen too.

Was saying this to the lads yesterday.

I think he gives a good balanced opinion.
Sometimes the Irish lads are blinded by loyalty.

Trevor Steven is the best pundit on RTÉ!

OwlsFan
07/11/2005, 12:33 PM
Yes, it was Gary Stevens:

http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2002/03/15/story7251.asp

"......but the Anfield career of the Waterford-born defender, who won 15 Republic of Ireland caps, was cruelly ended when he broke his left leg in a tussle with Everton’s Gary Stevens in a Littlewoods Cup tie at Goodison in January 1987".

pineapple stu
07/11/2005, 12:35 PM
I think he even made a second comeback before retiring.
He was with Leeds in around 1990, I think. Probably never played though.

Dotsy
07/11/2005, 12:42 PM
Beglin played for Leeds for about a year in the old second division before he retired for good.

geysir
07/11/2005, 1:19 PM
That article raises another few points.
Beglin was 19 was he transferred from Shamrock Rovers to Liverpool and became a regular at the age of 21 in one of Europe's top teams.
"The road to Liverpool, for Beglin, started with local Waterford side Bohemians where his performances caught the attention of the then Shamrock Rovers’ manager Johnny Giles and as a 15 year old Beglin was signed full-time by the Dublin outfit."
At least that adds to other evidence that young talented players development does not suffer in a full time EL set up. Keep the kids at home!
His transfer fee eventually came to £50,000. By 1983's transfer fees compared to today, with a rough calculation is that £500,000? maybe more than that

as_i_say
08/11/2005, 10:02 AM
thanks for that owls fan-cleared that one up once and for all

TheOneWhoKnocks
29/05/2015, 4:35 PM
The Joy of Six: curtailed football careers

From goalscoring goalkeeper Peter Roney to Jim Beglin via Michael Bridges, half-a-dozen talents whose playing days ended too soon because of injury

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/may/29/joy-of-six-curtailed-football-careers (http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/may/29/joy-of-six-curtailed-football-careers)