PDA

View Full Version : What about Gary Megson for Ireland?

Irish_Praha
05/11/2005, 10:01 AM
He did good stuff with a limited squad at WBA and would not be a yes man to the FAI. He took over a sinking ship at Forest and is surely too talented to be managing in the 3rd tier of English football.

CraftyToePoke
05/11/2005, 10:21 AM
wasnt there more than one story about falling out with players while at west brom? a fairly volatile charachter it seems,and with our squad not the strongest in depth that could be a risky one. look at toshack in the wales job,a bunch of them retired and of those that stayed, he has managed to fall out with Savage and Thatcher allready.we cant afford a scenario like that in our squad.

anyway, he didnt keep west brom up,and isnt currently covering himself in glory at forest,playing ugly football and in the wrong half of the table.

Robson kept west brom up and managed boro to promotiom twice and i wouldnt want him near the ireland job,so by that reasoning, a definate no to Megson.

livehead1
05/11/2005, 10:38 AM
not his fault with whats happening at forest, i live in nottingham and have a couple of mates playing there. i was told that players were turning up an hour late for training at the start of his tenure and now its much more professional. but indeed, he has fallen out with david johnson, marlon king and numerous other players since taking over. i think the situation at forest discounts joe kinnear as a modern day football manager more than it does gary megson who is a good manager and would certainly give the players a bit of spirit and pride back and make sure that they knew that they were playing for their country

Stuttgart88
05/11/2005, 11:44 AM
He did good stuff with a limited squad at WBA and would not be a yes man to the FAI. He took over a sinking ship at Forest and is surely too talented to be managing in the 3rd tier of English football.

Was thinking the same recently & meant to ask Adrianovic who's a Forest fan. Livehead too?

Dodge
05/11/2005, 11:59 AM
it seems to me those falling outs were always with players who deserved a good arse kicking rather than something personal. If players don't do what they're told they should expect to be ****ed out...

Irish_Praha
05/11/2005, 5:04 PM
I'm a forest fan too, that's why he came to mind. He cleared out a lot of the dross after they got relegated and has them playing OK now after a bit of a shakey start to the season as the players took a while to get used to playing the likes of Blackpool and Doncaster. He's very professional and takes no sh!t from the players or board. This can cause problems of course but IMO that is just what we need. A manager that will give even his best players a good kick up the hole. Unlike Kerr who thought they were all "a great bunch of lads".

Duffman
05/11/2005, 7:47 PM
I think ye are being harsh on Forest. I saw them against TRFC last month and they played quite well and are the best team I have seen in League one this year. They will be there or there abouts come the end of the season I reckon (though hopefully not at the expense of Tranmere!)

As for Megson, the fact he is his own man will preclude him from being the next Ireland manager. All the FAI want is some one that won't cause them bother, Megson has a track record of being firm in his decisions.

Irish_Praha
06/11/2005, 10:16 AM
I think ye are being harsh on Forest.

Maybe, but they started off slowly losing half of their first 10 games but now they have gotten used to the this level the results have slowly become better. Their form at home has been good over the last few weeks but they are still likely to make slip ups away from home like the 3-0 loss to Yeovil Town :eek: Maybe they play the prettiest football but that doesn't get you the three points in this league. It is a very inconsistent league and even with 7 losses already this season they are still within striking distance of the playoffs. I too expect them to be up around the top of the table at the end of the season.

Back to Megson I still think he would be a good manager for Ireland but as you say that Delaney Muppet will be looking for a yes man.

livehead1
06/11/2005, 10:59 AM
drew 1-1 to weymouth at home yesterday...hardly the stuff of champions

petef
06/11/2005, 5:56 PM
Megsons got a lot of work on his hands at Forest and relegation to League One has been difficult to adjust to, for every team Forest represent the big scalp and as a result they play above themselves. I went to the League Cup game against Maccelsfield a while back and thankfully hes started to turn things around, the guy makes a lot of sense in interviews, stern yes but he has an excellent footballing brain. I dont see him as a candidate for the Irish Job as he's committed himself to Forest.

Listened to Kerr today on Sky Sports News, nice frank interview, personally I wish him all the best.

tricky_colour
06/11/2005, 8:44 PM
Forest are closer to relegation than promotion.

Adrianovic
07/11/2005, 1:30 AM
Admittedly, I haven't seen a lot of Forest recently as I figured I could spend my money on things that wouldn't ruin my weekend. I found the best approach last season was to not think about it.

What I think about Gary Megson:

To start with, I think he's a good honest professional. He tries to get the best out of the players he has and brings in the best he can, he wants to see the team do well and won't accept bull****. Whether it all goes right or not is another matter, and he has found (and pointed out himself) that the WBA approach was not cutting it for Forest.

He wasn't at all to blame for going down last season, with the mess our squad was in, he did a good job to not lose every game. All the reports about players turning up an hour late for training are probably not far wrong. I've heard much more disturbing things about what went on under Kinnear, and after the players drinking until the early hours before a big game, I believe it all.

His tactics sometimes appear to be limited, I'm not sure he has a trick after his WBA tactics. However, I think these would suit Ireland, if we had a targetman. Megson tries to play Gareth Taylor as much as possible for Forest and he isn't very good. He gets in the team because he suits Megson's football. If Niall Quinn was 10 years younger, Megson would be a good Ireland manager.

I think if Megson was offered the Ireland job then he would take it straight away. 12 months ago he was a Premiership football club manager and now he can't beat Yeovil, Woking or Weymouth. This would represent an easy way out, and give him a chance of a different sort of job.

Megson will not be offered the job however.

I'm glad to see such a large Forest presence on the board.

Ade

drummerboy
07/11/2005, 8:46 AM
He is a failed manager, thats why he is managing in third tier of British football.

Tired&Emotional
07/11/2005, 9:46 AM
Forest have become embarrassing to support. Firtstly the "former European Cup winners" tag should be dropped - long, long time ago!
Granted, Meggo hasn't got alot to work with, simply little or no cash. BUT, he is tactically inept: the's moaning now about not taking chances and scoring yet it was he who brought in defenders at the start of the season and failed to bring strikers!

The reason we started off slow at the start of the season was because he used the same tactics (by his own admission!!) as he used at WBA - that approach is simply not goin to work with a completely different set of players!

In the game against Weymouth (and it pains me to spell that name out as 1st round of the F.A. Cup) he sub'ed a midfielder for a defender, against non league opposition!!

He cannot get the best out of the players. He resorted to letting two fans into the dressing room to tell the side how let down the fans really are (after 3-0 drubbing at the hands of mighty Yeovil) - for fcuk sake if that's professional then I'm the next Ireland manager!

No way should he be let near an international side, let alone that of "former European champions" !!!! ;-)

shakermaker1982
07/11/2005, 5:20 PM
As somebody who lives in Nottm and supports Forest KEEP AWAY FROM MEGSON!!!!!!!!

He needs to be sacked for Forest never mind the Irish team. Long ball football is not the solution.

Stuttgart88
06/12/2005, 8:57 AM
From today's Guardian:

Gary Megson, signed by Clough as a player but immediately rejected for being "unable to trap a bag of wet cement", is the most recent choice. His basic management credentials were established during his time with West Brom but at Forest he has coped with the enforced sale of the club's most talented players by espousing tactics which are impossible to reconcile with the spirit of a club whose supporters demand thoughtful attacking football.

Doughty and his board appear to have cleared a debt which once threatened to send Forest into administration. The football side, however, is proving more intractable. Since Megson is believed to be on the highest salary of any manager outside the Premiership, his recent decision to invite a couple of angry fans into the dressing room seems not so much a Clough-like stroke of lateral thinking as the act of a man at his wits' end.

Forest need a bit of tender loving care from a manager whose footballing principles are at least vaguely congruent with the club's tradition. Too late, of course, to put in a call to Stuart Pearce. But perhaps it is not too late for a chairman who fell for Platt's PR to learn the error of his ways. Apparently Doughty spent Sunday evening reading the supporters' internet message board; he will have noted the requests for him to contact the unattached George Burley.

Something, anyway, had better happen soon. Because until it does, the words "twice champions of Europe" will continue to sound like a curse.

zinedineontour
06/12/2005, 9:27 AM
Must be trawling true managerial failures if we are looking at megson .. struggling to keep a decent squad at forest in league 1 and out of the facup .. wow what a cv sign that lad up straight away ..

livehead1
06/12/2005, 11:30 AM
there not struggling to stay in the league they will be around the playoffs at the end of season, their home form is fine but away there atrocious. i dont know if he can be judged on his performance with the reds, i think they are a poisoned chalice at the moment and i think anyone would struggle to get to the bottom of it . Megson has stopped talkin to the local newspaper in the last week due to an article they printed about him and the team. it was titled I HAVE NO IDEA. basically this is what he told reporters when asked what was going wrong. he sed hes tried different training, different players, different formations, an ear bashing, an arm round the shoulder, and nothing seems to be working. i dont know whether that makes him better or worse, but at leasts he's honest.

zinedineontour
06/12/2005, 1:02 PM
honesty does not make a good manager though .. for a team of notts forest standing yes they are struggling this season.. playoffs just aint good enough .. how people can give out about having terry venables as manager and then put forward gary megson is beyond me !

Hulsey
06/12/2005, 1:06 PM
Anyone hear the forest fans at the weekend as they were humbled 3-0 by the mighty Chester? If he's not good enough for a League 1 side (even a big club like Forest) he's not good enough for Ireland. Know it won't happen but I'd go for big Sam. Look at his track record for getting average players to punch above their weight consistently!

Galwayexile
06/12/2005, 1:27 PM
the FAI would be wise not to go near megson.Look at the way hes ruining Forest. Hes a long ball merchant and hasnt a clue what hes doing.If another poster is right about him been the highest paid manager outside the premiership then fire his ass asap.