PDA

View Full Version : Venables new favourite. Good or bad choice?

Noelys Guitar
04/11/2005, 7:15 PM
I think he has a real chance of getting the job from those so far mentioned and available. Nightmare at Leeds but club was already a nightmare. Good record at Barcelona. Good record at Spurs. Got England to semis of Euros. And has always been an innovative coach. Should have been head-hunted the last time.

geysir
04/11/2005, 9:59 PM
Favourite with who?

Noelys Guitar
04/11/2005, 10:12 PM
Was 5-2 at one stage today at Paddy Power. Now at 100/30. Stan at 3/1

Superhoops
04/11/2005, 11:12 PM
I think he has a real chance of getting the job from those so far mentioned and available. Nightmare at Leeds but club was already a nightmare. Good record at Barcelona. Good record at Spurs. Got England to semis of Euros. And has always been an innovative coach. Should have been head-hunted the last time.
Nightmare in Merrion Square if this has-been is appointed:eek: :eek:

tricky_colour
04/11/2005, 11:33 PM
If they give him a backhander he will probably take the job ;) ;)

BobbySands
05/11/2005, 1:29 AM
Terry Vegetables would be a great choice for the FAI. Bit of an eegit with a track record whose first priority would be a steady earner. For comedic value I'd rather Arthur Daley.

Delaney. You're a disgrace.

thejollyrodger
05/11/2005, 2:01 PM
Great for some slap stick comedy but thats about it. Stan would be a far better move IMHO if MON wont take the post next autumn

Adrianovic
06/11/2005, 1:44 AM
If Venables becomes the new Ireland manager then I will disown the national team.

Paul Gascoigne and Terry Venables are probably my two least favourite people in football.

Ade

Stuttgart88
06/11/2005, 10:54 AM
I hate Venables too. I do think he'd have more imagination than Kerr did in integrating young and fringe players though. It all depends on exactly how justified his reputation as a top class coach is. Lineker swears by him, but then Venables made Lineker a multi-millionaire. The England team he brought to Dublin was awful.

Euro96 was as follows:

Switzerland - poor
Scotland - good in parts
Holland - excellent
Spain - ordinary at best
Germany - good but then who wouldn't be playing a major semi-final at home?

My dislike of him clashes with my view that he'd have something to offer in a "rebuilding" role over a 2 year period.

FarBeag
06/11/2005, 10:11 PM
Not in a million years. He is a total sleaze,just look at what he did to Crystal Palace.Why would this prat ever want to manage Ireland anyway?

dynamo kerry
06/11/2005, 10:40 PM
not would.. but why would this man want to manage ireland. what posiblemotivation could he have. it's like at leeds.. he took the job without any visible passion tomake it work.

at boro he did a good job without any real responsibility.. venables has had zero passion for a management job since he was turfed out of the lane

Condex
06/11/2005, 10:45 PM
I want somebody young and enthusiatic, Venables is a spent force!!

Dodge
06/11/2005, 10:48 PM
Persoally think he's bee England's best manager over the past 10/15 years. Always good at club level too.

Seems staunton has the job wrapped up according to latest though

tetsujin1979
07/11/2005, 1:00 AM
Persoally think he's bee England's best manager over the past 10/15 years. Always good at club level too.
He nearly bankrupted Crystal Palace and lasted about 5 months at Leeds, the last decent thing he did at club level was win the FA Cup at Spurs. That's more than 10 years ago!

geysir
07/11/2005, 2:08 PM
I appreciated his seething reaction at the the Landsdowne rd. riot game. He looked like he was ready to rip the hooligans apart one by one. After Euro '96, Clough, not one known to spread flattery towards England managers, thought he was a capable manager "could cope with the job and deal with the demands".
There is the cloud that he has self serving instincts and that his best years are well behind him.

Slash/ED
07/11/2005, 2:15 PM
God help us if Paul Okon has an irish granny anyway.

Lionel Ritchie
07/11/2005, 4:07 PM
I appreciated his seething reaction at the the Landsdowne rd. riot game. He looked like he was ready to rip the hooligans apart one by one. After Euro '96, Clough, not one known to spread flattery towards England managers, thought he was a capable manager "could cope with the job and deal with the demands".
There is the cloud that he has self serving instincts and that his best years are well behind him.

I admired that too. I thought he could win Euro 96 with England -and found myself in the unusual position of rooting for them as the penalties were being taken.

If he'd been able to stay on as England manager it's likely in my opininion they'd have won something since.

On the other hand -as a Leeds United supporter - I wanted him out pretty much from day one. He brought in a few incredible donkeys and in effect threw petrol on the flames rather put out the fire.

Slash/ED
07/11/2005, 6:33 PM
If there's even a remote possibility of Hiddink we should be after him, no question, but is it realistic?

Stuttgart88
08/11/2005, 11:17 AM
Guus Hiddink. Anyone?

Absolutely. Hiddink is the outstanding candidate of the foreign candidates.

O'Neill is the outsatnding candidate of the domestic candidates.

shakermaker1982
08/11/2005, 1:19 PM
Hiddink would make me happy but I don't think we have the money.

Adrianovic
08/11/2005, 7:40 PM
Put it this way, I will be supporting Uruguay in the upcoming play-off and then crossing my fingers for some intelligence and spare cash at the FAI.

Ade

cullenswood
09/11/2005, 7:52 AM
Why would we want a manager that can't guide Australia to the World Cup. They are virtually guaranteed to get to the play off because their group is so bad, so all they have to do is win at two legged game against the fifth best team in South America to get through. Do we want a manager who can't achieve this?

Tired&Emotional
09/11/2005, 8:02 AM
Rubbished by the FAI apparently according to sports reports on Today FM.....must be an orchestrated distraction by the FAI to push their choosen man out to long odds so they can make some cash!

Surely there is no way even the muppet Delaney could make an appointment like this....he must know how the Irish footballing public would react, no??!!

All this has to be expected - it's the usual circus antics that surrounds appointment of Intl manager!!

Clifford
09/11/2005, 8:11 AM
Rubbished by the FAI apparently according to sports reports on Today FM.....must be an orchestrated distraction by the FAI to push their choosen man out to long odds so they can make some cash!

Surely there is no way even the muppet Delaney could make an appointment like this....he must know how the Irish footballing public would react, no??!!

All this has to be expected - it's the usual circus antics that surrounds appointment of Intl manager!!

Agreed totally, the total silence on the subject from the clowns is going to lay them hole open for jokes like this. This needs to be put to bed with a statement straight away. That man cannot be allowed to manage my country.

Tired&Emotional
09/11/2005, 8:21 AM
......all this also begs the question who are the idiots putting wads of cash on the El Vegetable??!!

The lads from Apres Match could have some great sketches though....remember the ITV studio team sketches from a few years back with him, Gazza and Gabby Yorath...!!!!

Dodge
09/11/2005, 8:38 AM
You're talking about the man who voted for Bryan Robson last time out...

Dodge
09/11/2005, 8:39 AM
......all this also begs the question who are the idiots putting wads of cash on the El Vegetable??!!

The lads from Apres Match could have some great sketches though....remember the ITV studio team sketches from a few years back with him, Gazza and Gabby Yorath...!!!!
The actual Gazza on ITV was far funnier. Tragicomedy maybe...

Hither green
09/11/2005, 8:44 AM

Yes, in fairness to the FAI they've not gone for the worst choice, pretty close but he's definitely kept off the bottom of the table by Bryan Robson and Troussier.

Tired&Emotional
09/11/2005, 8:44 AM

fair enough.........sh1te, this would be disatrous. Hopefully the other two on the committee (it's three wisemen,i think) will go against that IF it came to it...but i honestly don't think they would "headhunt" Venables.....:eek:

Dublin12
09/11/2005, 8:48 AM
Verry Terribles:eek:

Tired&Emotional
09/11/2005, 8:52 AM
Verry Terribles:eek:

:D :D

I can see the tabloid headlines now!!

NeilMcD
10/11/2005, 9:12 AM
Why would we want a manager that can't guide Australia to the World Cup. They are virtually guaranteed to get to the play off because their group is so bad, so all they have to do is win at two legged game against the fifth best team in South America to get through. Do we want a manager who can't achieve this?

Well the fact that they dont play any other matches of note is a hindrance to them hence the reason they are joining the Asia Confederation after this World Cup. Also a managers job is to make the team play to the best of their ability, if that is not good enough to beat Uruguay well then so be it. Australia do not have much strength and depth after about 5 players and they would not have as much team spirit or used to playing top teams together as much as Uruguay.

I would rather judge Hiddink on what he has done at PSV and South Korea.

Slash/ED
10/11/2005, 3:50 PM

Christ yes. He's roughly one billion times better/more qualified than every other contender.

geysir
10/11/2005, 4:46 PM
Christ yes. He's roughly one billion times better/more qualified than every other contender.
That's why I would expect him/Australia to beat Uruguay and end their tortuous play off record.

colster
11/11/2005, 10:09 AM
The more I think about it. If we can't get O'Neill or Hiddink then is Venables such a bad choice? I think Venables along with someone like Staunton could be a good appointment.

Tired&Emotional
11/11/2005, 10:12 AM
.....as a last resort, it may well be the best of a bad lot, yes!

Pat O' Banton
11/11/2005, 10:19 AM
The England team he brought to Dublin was awful.

Euro96 was as follows:

Switzerland - poor
Scotland - good in parts
Holland - excellent
Spain - ordinary at best
Germany - good but then who wouldn't be playing a major semi-final at home?

Pretty accurate summing up. You should have also noted that an average Scotland outplayed them in periods of the game, Holland had a side who seemed intent on going home at the eariest opportunity and had spent large parts of the trip arguing amoungst itself, Spain two good goals ruled out. And finally Venables got Ingerland to the semi finals of a tournament while they were playing at home, I mean that's right up there with the likes of South Korea - So overall this campaign shows international quality, how? No to Venables.

Stuttgart88
11/11/2005, 10:28 AM
The more I think about it. If we can't get O'Neill or Hiddink then is Venables such a bad choice? I think Venables along with someone like Staunton could be a good appointment.

I hate Venables. I hate the smug cockney nonsense he spouts as a pundit & he's disreputable beyond belief.

I would not want him to be the permanent manager of the Irish side.

But, as I've said elsewhere, I think the next 10 months or so is critical in reshaping the team. If the FAI do need to wait to get their man, be it Hiddink or O'Neill, and if this is going to take until after WC06, then Venables would be a far better candidate than Givens to be a caretaker manager. I wouldn't be averse to him being given a short-term contract with a mandate to begin the transition from the McCarthy / Kerr era to our World-Cup winning side of 2010 :). My preference for this intermediate role would be Liam Brady though.

If O'Neill & Hiddink are unavailble next summer, the likes of Stan, Aldridge etc will still all be available then anyway so there's no need for a panic appointment.

Stuttgart88
11/11/2005, 10:31 AM
Spain two good goals ruled out.

And Spain had a stonewall peno turned down in extra time. I was at the game & I nearly got decapitated when I jumped out of my seat claiming a penalty in among all the English!

colster
11/11/2005, 10:48 AM
I hate Venables. I hate the smug cockney nonsense he spouts as a pundit & he's disreputable beyond belief.

I would not want him to be the permanent manager of the Irish side.

But, as I've said elsewhere, I think the next 10 months or so is critical in reshaping the team. If the FAI do need to wait to get their man, be it Hiddink or O'Neill, and if this is going to take until after WC06, then Venables would be a far better candidate than Givens to be a caretaker manager. I wouldn't be averse to him being given a short-term contract with a mandate to begin the transition from the McCarthy / Kerr era to our World-Cup winning side of 2010 :). My preference for this intermediate role would be Liam Brady though.

If O'Neill & Hiddink are unavailble next summer, the likes of Stan, Aldridge etc will still all be available then anyway so there's no need for a panic appointment.

I don't like Venables all that much but compared to most of the others named he's got a lot more experience and has had some success in his career. Venables as an analyst always strikes as someone who doesn't want to criticise a player/club as he may have to manage them one day. The big problem with him is the chance of him hitting the front pages for his dodgy dealings so he's probably not the best option.

I'd take Hiddink in a heart beat. After that O'Neill. Peter Taylor is someone I mentioned before. He's done an excellent job with Hull and England U21s. It's probably someone like him that the FAI will turn to. He'll come with a good record and no baggage.

I can't see Liam Brady being appointed as interim manager. I think Bonner/Givens will do that.

Superhoops
11/11/2005, 4:44 PM
I think Bonner/Givens will do that.
If Bonner had his contract as G/K coach terminated at the same time as Kerr, Hughton and O'Reilly, can't see him being offered a caretaker manager's job, nor can I see him taking it if he was offered. It would get in the way of his job as Technical Director.

jbyrne
11/11/2005, 5:12 PM
I think the next 10 months or so is critical in reshaping the team. If the FAI do need to wait to get their man, be it Hiddink or O'Neill, and if this is going to take until after WC06, then Venables would be a far better candidate than Givens to be a caretaker manager. I wouldn't be averse to him being given a short-term contract with a mandate to begin the transition from the McCarthy / Kerr era to our World-Cup winning side of 2010 :)

theres no point in shaping a team for ten months then handing it over to someone else who may have completely differant ideas and abilities. that would be a complete waste of time. we need a strong manager who will stamp his own style etc. on the squad immediately. the pre wc friendlys are critical and whoever will be in charge for the qualifiers should be in charge from january 1st at latest. a short term appointment would be a complete disaster imo

Stuttgart88
13/11/2005, 11:29 AM
a short term appointment would be a complete disaster imo

So would appointing a mediocre candidate now on a permanent basis though.

I would be happy with a short-term appointment if the successor was of O'Neill / Hiddink pedigree. If the FAI thinks they can get a top class candidate in 10 months, then I'd be OK with a short-term appointment with a clear mandate: forget about friendly results, prepare & integrate the players with the most potential. The new manager can then come in with a lot of the hard work already done for him.

There's a great opportunity build a foundation for later years right now. Wasting this opportunity would be criminal. I personally don't think Givens / Bonner etc would be good enough to do the job but who knows?

I also think some of the capable candidates with a connection to Ireland (Brady for example) who are either committed to another career or who are afraid to put their reputation on the line or whatever, might be tempted to carry out a caretaker role.

Does anyone else agree the next 10 months is an opportunity not to be wasted?

klein4
16/11/2005, 10:58 AM
Deffo think we shouldnt be wasting any time. we have to give any young lads we want to come thru as many caps as possible before the qualifiers. I wasnt a massive fan of macarthy but he did throw in a lot young lads at the begining of his reign.
not too sure if the idea would work tho. players being players they dont seem to care too much when the manager is not long term.
altho I do like the idea(if only cause at the least it would provide us with a bit of forward momentum). Brady would come with the gravitas of bein one of our greatest players and being involved with one of the more successful club sides of last few years. so if it was goin to work he would certainly be one of the better choices.