PDA

View Full Version : Jason Byrnes Goalscoring record

pete
03/11/2005, 10:21 AM
Is he a great goal scorer or just great at scoring goals against poor teams?

Of his 21 league goals this season he hasn't scored a goal (excluding 1 penalty) against the other teams in the top 5 in the league.

superfrank
03/11/2005, 10:27 AM
How many times have O'Flynn or Farren scored against the top 5 this season and so what if he scorers more times against weaker opposition he still takes the chances he gets.

What'll this be now 3 years in a row top scorer?? That's more like a great goalscorer.

Dyl10
03/11/2005, 10:28 AM

Of his 21 league goals this season he hasn't scored a goal (excluding 1 penalty) against the other teams in the top 5 in the league.

Id well beleive it!
He needs time on the ball to get himself set and you just dont get that time against the bigger teams

tiktok
03/11/2005, 10:29 AM
Of his 21 league goals this season.

:eek: When did that happen?

garykelly
03/11/2005, 10:40 AM
hmm why wasnt this sort of analysis done on the Lee Trundle thread.

In fairness it doesnt matter against who or how he scored the goals. the fact is he is top scorer on 21 goals. We shouldnt be knocking the leagues top goalscorer. Instead we should be creating threads like the trundle one to suggest whether byrne should play for Ireland or not. As always if byrne was plying his trade in the UK and got pickeed then we'd all be saying "sure he was always that good. why is he being called up now. " Now where have i heard that before.....

Tenderloins
03/11/2005, 10:54 AM
Regarding Byrne and getting a recall to the Irish squad, he was out of his depth in Europe.
There were many who hoped that he'd use Europe to show how good he is, but he didn't (Fenlons negative tactics may have had a part to play).
Crowe who was also Top Scorer in the League for a few seasons did produce the goods in Europe and that combined with his EL record got him his call up to the Irish squad.
Crowe was unlucky that he didn't get a chance to establish himself in the Irish squad.

pete
03/11/2005, 10:58 AM
Farren has scored a lot of goals against the top teams this season but he needs to prove himself for more than 1 season.
O'Flynn is well short of his previous quality but we are short of strikers & will miss him badly in next few weeks.
Crowe seems to have completely lost it in recent years.

Its all very well getting a hattrick against Bray but it makes no differnce to league points total. Byrne is great league goal scorer but hasn't short the concentration at top of the table or European level.

superfrank
03/11/2005, 11:04 AM
Its all very well getting a hattrick against Bray but it makes no differnce to league points total. Byrne is great league goal scorer but hasn't short the concentration at top of the table or European level.
So 5 in 4 games is bad at European level??

Glentoran aren't great but they'd be one of the best teams on this island and Steaua are very good so that must mean he's a good goalscorer.

pete
03/11/2005, 11:06 AM
Glentoran aren't great...

Case closed.

:)

MrJoeSoap
03/11/2005, 11:23 AM
14 in his last 10 iirc.

Maybe he just works better under no pressure.

Dee75
03/11/2005, 12:37 PM
Farrens league goals this season have been against

Bohs 4
Drogs 2
Harps 2
Pats 2
Rovers 2
Shels 2
UCD 1
Waterford 2

He has only failed to score against Longford, Bray & Cork. He'll sort the last two out tommorrow night against Bray then score the winning goal against Cork on 18th Nov to take the title home to the Brandywell :D :D

drinkfeckarse
03/11/2005, 12:39 PM
He's one of the best in Ireland regardless of who he scores against. Top scorer 3 years running proves that.

I don't think there's any point trying to disect who he scored against etc, at the end of the day he's scored more than anyone else in recent seasons.

MrJoeSoap
03/11/2005, 2:06 PM
He scores tonnes and tonnes of goals but the number of easy chances he misses is crazy!

Jerry The Saint
03/11/2005, 2:41 PM
He scores tonnes and tonnes of goals but the number of easy chances he misses is crazy!

And people think his cousin gets stick now, I think it would be best for Byrne's mental health if he never played for Ireland again...

Roo69
03/11/2005, 2:44 PM

Jason has scored against 9 of the 11 clubs this season, Only clubs he has failed to score agsinst are Cork and St. Pats. Leading goal scorer 3 years in a row. Jayo is the best striker in the eircom League.

Any club in the eL would LOVE to have him in there side. 79 Goals in 4 seasons (1 of them was with Bray) tells it's own story, no other striker in the league comes close, Crow is the nearest with 61 i think.

pete
03/11/2005, 4:17 PM
I stand corrected - he has actually scored against Bohs & Drogs.

Vitruvian Man
03/11/2005, 4:26 PM
Much as I dislike the troglodyte he has proved that he is the best striker in the league.

He has also proved that the EL is just about his level, he hasn't done great in Europe.

But the best strikers in the league are only called that while they are producing the goods. Look at Glen Crowe for an example of what happens when you rest on your laurels.

harry crumb
03/11/2005, 4:51 PM
He's the best striker in the league IMO. He gets into great positions to score. He may not have the pace of O'Neill or a John O'Flynn but he knows where the goal is.

EnDai
03/11/2005, 6:20 PM
He did great in Europe this year. Scored 5 in 4 games, including away to Steaua where Valencia couldn't score!

sfc red
03/11/2005, 6:32 PM
And didnt score the year before cos he was playing right mid. FFS talk about fickle - three years at Shels, top scorer three years, what is your problem??

EnDai
03/11/2005, 7:04 PM
You have to take them as they come, for 3 years now he will have finished top scorer. Its hard to put that down as anything other than great goal scorer, surely?

De Town
03/11/2005, 7:39 PM
He has only failed to score against Longford, Bray & Cork
but the cĂșnt scored in the LC semi final :(

ThatGuy
03/11/2005, 9:38 PM
In my opinion Glen Crowe a couple of seasons ago has been the only credible claim for an EL player to be in the international squad.

Stevo Da Gull
03/11/2005, 11:47 PM
After not scoring in Europe last year (after playing out of position a lot) Jayo done the buisness this time around. Excluding the Glentoran games he still scored over in Bucharest at a crucial time to bring his side back into the game, delivering under pressure, (Steua are currently top of their group in the UEFA Cup and drew 0-0 away to Sampdoria tonight).
He did'nt bottle things under pressure with Bray either, often our hero against the bigger clubs and scored 2 in a certain cup final.
As being top scorer 3 years in a row might suggest he is the best striker in the league! I believe that he also contributes to the team a lot more as well as scoring goals and IMO is good enough to play for Ireland.

Jayo = Legend:)

hoopy
04/11/2005, 6:20 AM
Imop Crowe at his best is a better goalscorer. Unfortunately for him it took him all of two weeks to realise he'd made a mistake going to Shels and his form has suffered since. Credit to Byrne for the goals he has scored but he does miss a lot of sitters as well. However I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't have him in their side. He's no Liam Buckley though;)

razor
04/11/2005, 8:05 AM
All you can ask of the lad is that he puts the ball in the back of the net which he is doing on a more than regular basis, we'd have the league in the bag by now if we had someone like him.
Credit where its due.

superfrank
04/11/2005, 10:11 AM
and IMO is good enough to play for Ireland.

Jayo = Legend:)
IMO?? I think it's more IEO!!

joeSoap
04/11/2005, 10:18 AM
They might slag him off, but I'd wager that most Cork fans would like him in their team...especially for the run-in seeing as Flynnie is out, and they don't really have any one else prolific enough.

Jason Byrne would probably bag 2 or 3 in a Cork side against Waterford tonight, Nobody in the Cork side is going to do that. Recently its their defenders who have been saving their asses with late goals...enough said.

Risteard
04/11/2005, 10:31 AM
I'd wager that most Cork fans would like him in their teamd.

Damn right.

Troy.McClure
04/11/2005, 11:07 AM
I'd wager that most Cork fans would like him in their team...especially for the run-in seeing as Flynnie is out.

Ya, Id rather him than Behan at the moment:)