PDA

View Full Version : Rovers DVD

1 9 2 8
02/11/2005, 8:26 PM
Anyone know will there be a Rovers DVD showing all our home goals. I heard a rumour at the start of the season. that their would be one. I think Harps had one last season for their promotion season

sligoman
02/11/2005, 8:32 PM
The trust were talking about putting something together weren't they?:confused:

feo123
02/11/2005, 9:16 PM
A DVD would be class. not only with goals on it, but fans views and player interviews. and other fun stuff aswell! it could sell well in the town!

garykelly
02/11/2005, 9:21 PM
The trust were talking about putting something together weren't they?:confused:

No the trust wont be doing this. We dont have the capacity for it at this stage. I think the club are doing this. i'll go find out.

feo123
02/11/2005, 9:23 PM
hopefully the club can sort it out! maybe the trust can do one next year when we qualify for the champions league and the year after when we win it!!

roversforever
03/11/2005, 9:22 AM
ya that would be class.i'd definately buy it and id say it would sell well amongst rovers fans.

Paraic
03/11/2005, 10:00 AM
I was looking at this in conjunction for the Mgt Committee with Omedia the company who film the matches. Unfortunately it looks like the costs will far outweigh the potential sales of such a DVD which is a pity (and that's getting a really good deal on the price from Micháel)

I know that people on this forum will consider this shortsighted, but the reality is that we'd need to minimum 1200-1500 DVDs to make it really worthwhile and that market realistically isnt out there.

As far as I'm aware, the Harps DVD last season was produced at little or no no cost to the club, which made the decision to proceed a lot easier for them.

SligoBrewer
04/11/2005, 7:10 PM
What a pity... seeing Flannery's goal against Galway(i think) is worth paying the cost alone. You would get 1200 dvds sold though. If you take in overseas sales along with local you would easily get it.

How many copies did 'There's only 1 red army' sell? The rovers fans 'in exile' would be gagging for it!

1 9 2 8
05/11/2005, 1:21 AM
What about getting a few sponsors. How did Harps make it so cheap?

Paraic
05/11/2005, 4:47 AM
Harps dvd was a labour of love by the guys who filmed it

Redzer
05/11/2005, 8:37 AM
Paraic, what sort of figures are we talking about to produce just the highlights which were filmed in the Showgrounds? Also some of the away games were filmed. I think Chorus filmed the Limerick games. Dublin too had a camera.
I would see it selling very well. It would not need to be top quality.
The technology to produce a low budget DVD is around. I'm sure.

SligoBrewer
06/11/2005, 12:09 PM
We can't have Harps being better than us!
The Rovers fan base is far bigger than that of Finn Harps!
Surely we could get someone to sponser?

roversforever
06/11/2005, 9:27 PM
ya come on we have to get a DVD.i don't want to spoil the mood but it could be ages before rovers win something again.give us a DVD to remember it by.

sligoman
06/11/2005, 9:28 PM
I agree. Surely the club can find sponsors to cover the cost of the DVD?:confused:

Mayo Red
07/11/2005, 1:57 PM
A DVD would be brilliant, and I'm sure a reasonable amount of interest could be generated in it. Put it up for sale on Amazon and eBay and that would generate more sales (Shams currently have a store on eBay selling jerseys and programmes etc).

feo123
07/11/2005, 4:39 PM
How about a collection at the match on saturday...if 2000 people gave 2or3 euro...you coulkd get about 4 or 5 thousand!

SligoBrewer
07/11/2005, 8:26 PM
Volunteer Here! People would give bucketloads on Saturday!...they'll be in such a good mood.Can anyone start an online petition?

Paraic
08/11/2005, 9:11 AM
redzer

we've looked at all these options - even a low budget option would cost a lot of money in editing time - something as simple as a couple of interviews etc takes time, when you add in packaging, marketing, music copyrights, seller margins, vat etc etc into the mix, that's what eats away at potential profit and pushes the number of units that need to be sold way up.

Believe me, I'd loved to have run with this, but having researched it, there's a big leap from enthusiasm on an internet forum to selling 1200 DVDs.

Paraic, what sort of figures are we talking about to produce just the highlights which were filmed in the Showgrounds? Also some of the away games were filmed. I think Chorus filmed the Limerick games. Dublin too had a camera.
I would see it selling very well. It would not need to be top quality.
The technology to produce a low budget DVD is around. I'm sure.

1 9 2 8
08/11/2005, 9:16 PM
Well if we can't have a DVD how about putting video clips of the celebrations Saturday night on rovers.com

sligoman
09/11/2005, 12:05 AM
Well if we can't have a DVD how about putting video clips of the celebrations Saturday night on rovers.comGood idea. That's something I've often wondered about actually, why aren't the highlights of our matches on the website?:confused:. We get our games recorded anyway so surely it's not hard to upload them onto the site?:confused:

MervilleUnited
09/11/2005, 6:31 PM
Indeed Sligoman!:D
If the clips were posted, the hits would rise, and advertisers would pay big to have thier name on the site!

Eventually though, the clips could be subscription to your mobile:eek: , and as cash will be the only roadblock to staying up, all revenue streams are needed!:)

Paraic
10/11/2005, 9:22 AM
I posted a thread on this ages ago asking for help to publish on the site as I didn't have the technical know-how but there was no response at the time.

In the meantime, I got access to the source files but they were about 3megs per goal which would simply eat up space on the site. It is possible to get them in MP4 format which is much more efficient space wise, but I haven't been able to read the files on my PC. If anyone knows anything about the MP4 format, i'd welcome feedback.

I'm hoping to revamp the site in the close season, so this is something I'll revisit.

Good idea. That's something I've often wondered about actually, why aren't the highlights of our matches on the website?:confused:. We get our games recorded anyway so surely it's not hard to upload them onto the site?:confused:

nephin
10/11/2005, 9:38 AM
[QUOTE=Paraic]
In the meantime, I got access to the source files but they were about 3megs per goal which would simply eat up space on the site. It is possible to get them in MP4 format which is much more efficient space wise, but I haven't been able to read the files on my PC. If anyone knows anything about the MP4 format, i'd welcome feedback.
QUOTE]

Paraic, have you tried viewing MP4 files using Quicktime or RealPlayer? I think they can view MP4 files.

max power
10/11/2005, 9:42 AM
i produced a dvd for us last season, we sold 500 copies and made about 15k profit for the club....that was after production costs etc......

the idea that you need 1200 to 1500 copies to made it worth while is a joke,

sorry paraic, i edited, and put the cover together, we marketed it here, other web sites, club shop at christmas and we sold out within the 1st day, there were 100 pre order copies alone !!!

margain for sellers, my hole !!!! its a local club so keep it internal and avoid that rubbish.....

vat, whats that ?????? its a dvd sold for a soccer club, not the latest hollywood release, keep it simple and it is very possible......as any longford fan what they thought of it.....

Paraic
10/11/2005, 12:19 PM
Fair play to you Max Power. You've obviously got the expertise etc to do this sort of thing.

The reality for us is that our production costs are substantial because in effect it's a commercial production with all that that entails because we don't have ownership of the material.. Bottom line, we would need to shift in excess of 1200 to make a decent profit out of it.

Paraic
10/11/2005, 12:21 PM
Will check out -thanks

[QUOTE=nephin
Paraic, have you tried viewing MP4 files using Quicktime or RealPlayer? I think they can view MP4 files.[/QUOTE]

Redzer
10/11/2005, 12:35 PM
Bottom line, we would need to shift in excess of 1200 to make a decent profit out of it.
It would be nice to make a profit, but for a once off, would the club not consider a break even on this one, as a thank you to the loyal supporters?
You never know it could be a best seller.
Perhaps, the Trust and the supporters clubs could come together on this one, and put in some sponsorship towards it.

max power
10/11/2005, 2:35 PM
Fair play to you Max Power. You've obviously got the expertise etc to do this sort of thing.

The reality for us is that our production costs are substantial because in effect it's a commercial production with all that that entails because we don't have ownership of the material.. Bottom line, we would need to shift in excess of 1200 to make a decent profit out of it.

how owns the material of ur home matches ???? copyright i mean.