PDA

View Full Version : eircom League Books

Pages : [1] 2

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2005, 12:50 PM
The only book remotely about the League is out now. It is published by the English company Soccer Books Limited (http://www.soccer-books.co.uk/acatalog/acatalog.html) and is one of a series they do about the Non League sector, the Scottish League, The Irish League (Norn Iron) and the Premiersh1t.

It is of course The Supporters' Guide to Eircom FAI Clubs 2005 and it is edited by John Robinson. It has details on the grounds( complete with Photos of each venue) and how to get there, admission prices etc in both Divisions.
It was clearly compliled towards the end of last year in some cases because it has Dublin City still at home in Tolka. At the back it has all the results of the past 10 seasons in the League plus end of season tables for both Divisions. It retails at €9.99 and while not brilliant is the only thing covering the League this year anyhoo.

A face
23/10/2005, 5:47 PM
From the Lodge to the Box about Cork soccer !!

Great read .... very interesting for any Cork soccer fan !!

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2005, 5:50 PM
From the Lodge to the Box about Cork soccer !!

Great read .... very interesting for any Cork soccer fan !!

Very interesting for any LOI/EL fan I would argue. Is it available outside the People's Republic ?

Anto McC
23/10/2005, 6:08 PM
Books :rolleyes: dont know about youse but im getting a bike for Christmas :D

I was given The Supporters' Guide to Eircom FAI Clubs 2005 as a present a week or so ago,i havent got round to looking at it yet and wont for a while but if its already as outdated as CTID said,i dont see the point in reading it at all

A face
23/10/2005, 6:08 PM
Very interesting for any LOI/EL fan I would argue. Is it available outside the People's Republic ?

AFAIK ... it is .... i'll get back to you !!

green-blood
23/10/2005, 7:06 PM
there is a brilliant biog of Garrincha the greatest Brzilian of them all avaialble on Amazon for 5sterling. Brilliant, the guyy was a wizard, made best look like an amateur down the wings, in the bar and in bed...inBrazil its not Socrats or Pele they adore as all time hero its Garrincha!! get it

sligoman
23/10/2005, 7:10 PM
there is a brilliant biog of Garrincha the greatest Brzilian of them all avaialble on Amazon for 5sterling. Brilliant, the guyy was a wizard, made best look like an amateur down the wings, in the bar and in bed...inBrazil its not Socrats or Pele they adore as all time hero its Garrincha!! get itAnd what part of the EL features in it?:confused: :rolleyes:

green-blood
23/10/2005, 7:14 PM
thread title - "Books for Christmas", its a top footie book, I'll start another thread shall I so there will be two threads on footie books neither is entitled EL books for christmas.... ya pivcky fecker, your top of the league, getting promotion, will ya give over :)

oh Socrates played for UCD goes the legend...so there's your link, I did say Garrincha was EVEN better :p

sligoman
23/10/2005, 7:15 PM
thread title - "Books for Christmas", its a top footie book, I'll start another thread shall I so there will be two threads on footie books neither is entitled EL books for christmas.... ya pivcky fecker, your top of the league, getting promotion, will ya give over :)

oh Socrates played for UCD goes the legend...so there's your link, I did say Garrincha was EVEN better :pIt is in the EL forum though so it's presumed that it's EL books;) :D :p

Maz
23/10/2005, 7:15 PM

oh Socrates played for UCD goes the legend...so there's your link, I did say Garrincha was EVEN better :p
It was hardly the fact that it was posted in the EL section that was supposed to give people the hints! :p

green-blood
23/10/2005, 7:23 PM
oh for the love of god

Maz
23/10/2005, 7:24 PM
oh for the love of god
No need to bring God into this, you talk about him in Off Topic

green-blood
23/10/2005, 7:26 PM
god - small "g" = Trevor Molloy!!!

Big G is in all topics, everywhere at all times dont ya know.... his book has nothing to do with the EL either so you are a bit off topic

A face
23/10/2005, 7:26 PM
No need to bring God into this, you talk about him in Off Topic

Psot of the month !! :p

Classic !!! :D

Maz
23/10/2005, 7:28 PM
god - small "g" = Trevor Molloy!!!

Big G is in all topics, everywhere at all times dont ya know.... his book has nothing to do with the EL either so you are a bit off topic
I would have thought small 'g' Trevor Molloy-gimp, gangster etcetc

sligoman
Psot of the month !! :p

Classic !!! :Dhttp://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=30143

;) :p

green-blood
now that just not nice

NY Hoop
24/10/2005, 11:11 AM
The only book remotely about the League is out now.

Here's another one:D

We Are Rovers - New Shamrock Rovers Book

Cover of We Are Rovers
A new book We Are Rovers An Oral History Of Shamrock Rovers FC by Eoghan Rice will be published next Tuesday 1st November(Priced €18:99) charting the history of Shamrock Rovers Football Club, the victories and defeats, the trials and tribulations, the highs and the lows written by a lifelong supporter.

Featuring exclusive interviews with Louis Kilcoyne (Controversial former club Chairman) and Maureen O'Hara, (of The Quiet Man, etc.) a lifelong Rovers fan; Over 100 images of the club; interviews with current and former players, managers, and fans.

The author, Eoghan Rice is a journalist based in Dublin who has supported Rovers since childhood. Having become a supporter in 1990 he wrote this book to show that League of Ireland Football and Rovers in particular 'isn’t a side-show, it is part of the global football narrative, just without the millionaire stars and twenty-four different camera angles.

Publishers, Nonsuch Publishing is now a year old and is launching some 20 titles onto the Irish market before December 2005. With a wide ranging list, featuring Sports, Local History, National History and Republished History and such strong titles as We Are Rovers we are expecting an exciting future for this young Irish Based Publishing house.

KOH

pineapple stu
24/10/2005, 12:55 PM
Socrates never played for UCD, unfortunately.

Just finishing off "Stamping Grounds" by Charlie Connolly about Liechtenstein's 2002 World Cup Qualifying campaign. Couple of interesting Ireland references - one player saying his worst memory was getting booked in Lansdowne and having 40,000 people booing him (presumably time-wasting) - said he "felt like sh!t". Another said one of his worst memories was marking David Connolly in the same game when Connolly got a first-half hat-trick. They all seem to remember the 0-0 though! One player (Patrick Hefti) met a few Irish fans during the 1994 World Cup when Hefti was playing in the MLS and was delighted they'd all heard of Liechtenstein - the Irish lads even all paid for his drink. Said they probably wouldn't have done that two years later!

green-blood
24/10/2005, 1:08 PM
"goes the legend..."

since when were legends true

Cosmo
24/10/2005, 1:25 PM
Here's another one:D

We Are Rovers - New Shamrock Rovers Book

Cover of We Are Rovers
A new book We Are Rovers An Oral History Of Shamrock Rovers FC by Eoghan Rice will be published next Tuesday 1st November(Priced €18:99) charting the history of Shamrock Rovers Football Club, the victories and defeats, the trials and tribulations, the highs and the lows written by a lifelong supporter.

Featuring exclusive interviews with Louis Kilcoyne (Controversial former club Chairman) and Maureen O'Hara, (of The Quiet Man, etc.) a lifelong Rovers fan; Over 100 images of the club; interviews with current and former players, managers, and fans.

The author, Eoghan Rice is a journalist based in Dublin who has supported Rovers since childhood. Having become a supporter in 1990 he wrote this book to show that League of Ireland Football and Rovers in particular 'isn’t a side-show, it is part of the global football narrative, just without the millionaire stars and twenty-four different camera angles.

Publishers, Nonsuch Publishing is now a year old and is launching some 20 titles onto the Irish market before December 2005. With a wide ranging list, featuring Sports, Local History, National History and Republished History and such strong titles as We Are Rovers we are expecting an exciting future for this young Irish Based Publishing house.

KOH

Can ye buy that in places like easons, etc or is just at rovers matches?

NY Hoop
24/10/2005, 1:39 PM
Hopefully but will get back to you on that.

Congrats on yesterday. Hope ye win it now.

KOH

gustavo
24/10/2005, 2:45 PM
http://www.sligorovers.com/club/books/theres_only_one_red_army.htm

a classic

just forget that he's writing about gah for independent newspapers now !

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2005, 10:24 PM
All books about any aspect of the EL/LOI are important records of our game and are valuable for that reason rather than their literary merit(if any).:p

anto eile
02/11/2005, 7:00 PM
actually there are two Rovers books out recently.
We Are Rovers by Eoghan Rice. a fans account of Rovers' history up to this season.
also another Rovers book was published a few months ago, about Hoops fan Robin Browett and his life of following Rovers.
theres two Rovers books anyway

anto eile
02/11/2005, 7:03 PM
where did the stoy come from about socrates playing for ucd?i heard a version tha the played for them before ucd joined the league of ireland.some people swear this is true

Dodge
02/11/2005, 7:49 PM
Declan Hughes (if he volunteers his internet name, fair play to him ;) )did an "expose" on it in a UCD/Pats programme a couple of years ago. I'll let one of the UCD internet people do it (not neccesarily Declan Hughes...)

pineapple stu
02/11/2005, 8:06 PM
Delighted to (though I'm not Dec! :))... Apparently the Doc - Tony O'Neill - is one of those who says he did play for us. We obviously can't ask him any more, but we did ask someone who asked Socrates, who said it's nonsense - he's never been to Ireland.

The article Dodge refers to was in the UCD-Pat's match programme in May 03 and is as follows...

In 1982, and again in 1986, Brazil were, as ever, one of the favourites for the World Cup. In 1982, they scored 10 goals in their first phase group, which contained the USSR, Scotland and New Zealand, beat Argentina, including a young Diego Maradona (who was sent off that day), 3-1 in the second phase group before succumbing 3-2 to Italy in a memorable game where Paolo Rossi, not long back from a worldwide ban for bribery, scored a hat-trick for the eventual winners. In 1986, they again progressed through their group with ease, beating Spain, Algeria and Northern Ireland, overcoming Poland in the second round, all without conceding a goal, before losing out to France in another of the World Cup’s great games. Brazil had players of the calibre of Zico, Careca, Branco, Junior, Josimar and the legendary Socrates, not long from a spell in Ireland playing for UCD.

I’m sure there will be some of you who’ll have read that last bit again – surely not the Socrates Brasiliero Sampaio De Sousa Ferreira Oliveira? Yep, the same. Socrates, like many Brazilians, had a love for the beautiful game, but decided early on that it wouldn’t be a livelihood, and consequently decided to study medicine. The story goes that he came to UCD to study in 1976 and, while here, played for the first team, who were then a non-league side. From there, he went back to Brazil to play with Corinthians, where he won three Brazilian titles, spent a year with Fiorentina in Italy before returning home for two seasons with Flamengo and two with the famous Santos, whom he had supported as a boy.

In his international career, Socrates made his debut in 1979 and went on to be one of Brazil’s top 10 goalscorers of all time by his retirement from international football through injury in 1987 with 20 goals, including a goal in the aforementioned defeat to Italy, as well as a brace in the 4-0 win over Poland in 1986.

Alas, everything in the above story is true, except for one thing – Socrates’ much-lauded appearances for UCD never happened. He did arrive in Ireland to study in 1976, however, while with Botafogo – indeed, he spent two years in Ireland studying medicine, but he was a student in the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland in town, not in UCD. His love of soccer led him to attend the RCSI’s trials for their Collingwood Cup team. Alas, RCSI weren’t (and still aren’t!) known for their footballing abilities and, after seeing the quality of his potential team-mates, he quickly decided to concentrate on his medicine and gave up any aspirations of a football career in Ireland. Another urban myth which has done the rounds is that he played for Shelbourne – this is is similarly not true.

Socrates did make a comeback after his retirement, but quit football for good in 1990 at the age of 36 to make use of his qualifications and enter the medical practice and, 13 years on, he is by all accounts a very successful doctor in his home country.

Passive
04/11/2005, 9:53 AM
Socrates did make a comeback after his retirement, but quit football for good in 1990 at the age of 36 to make use of his qualifications and enter the medical practice and, 13 years on, he is by all accounts a very successful doctor in his home country.

A bit off topic, but Socrates is also one of Brazil's foremost political activists. He ran a massive campaign prior to the last election to get working class Brazilians to use their vote. Probably helped get Lula elected.

On the subject of LoI books, I think it's something supporters from all clubs should look into. The histories of most clubs have never been written down, which is a shame because information gets lost over time.

Réiteoir
04/11/2005, 10:15 AM
Is the "Who Needs Eric Cantona - We've Got Rod de Khors" book available in major retailers or can we only get it locally?

atfconline
04/11/2005, 10:47 AM
Is the "Who Needs Eric Cantona - We've Got Rod de Khors" book available in major retailers or can we only get it locally?

You can email the author at kevoneill1@yahoo.ie and he should be able to sort you out.

Passive
04/11/2005, 10:59 AM

I think it's only available in the local area, but you can always try to get in touch with the author (Kevin O'Neill). Rovers bought in a few dozen copies to sell in Dalymount because there's a chapter about Rod's time at Rovers.

Strabane_Harp
04/11/2005, 11:02 AM
Strings of my Harps by Patsy McGowan

great book about how the harps got started and the nutty goings on of one of the leagues greatest characters

a must read for eircom league fans

NY Hoop
04/11/2005, 11:06 AM

great book about how the harps got started and the nutty goings on of one of the leagues greatest characters

Agree 100%. Man's a LOI legend. With thanks to FBTN for the copy. This should be marketed more.

Still trying to get Mud, Sweat and Jeers by Jim Rhatigan though.............

KOH

dahamsta
04/11/2005, 3:41 PM
Blatant spam deleted, spammer banned.

A face
04/11/2005, 8:40 PM
Still trying to get Mud, Sweat and Jeers by Jim Rhatigan though

Didn't know about that !?!? :o ... he writes for the Kilkenny people ... imo that would be a good read, fair play to the fella, he is sound out. How long ago was that do you know ??

Martinho II
05/11/2005, 5:44 PM

can you still get that book anywhere or can anyone lend me a copy please?

CollegeTillIDie
06/11/2005, 9:21 AM
Delighted to (though I'm not Dec! :))... Apparently the Doc - Tony O'Neill - is one of those who says he did play for us. We obviously can't ask him any more, but we did ask someone who asked Socrates, who said it's nonsense - he's never been to Ireland.

The article Dodge refers to was in the UCD-Pat's match programme in May 03 and is as follows...

In 1982, and again in 1986, Brazil were, as ever, one of the favourites for the World Cup. In 1982, they scored 10 goals in their first phase group, which contained the USSR, Scotland and New Zealand, beat Argentina, including a young Diego Maradona (who was sent off that day), 3-1 in the second phase group before succumbing 3-2 to Italy in a memorable game where Paolo Rossi, not long back from a worldwide ban for bribery, scored a hat-trick for the eventual winners. In 1986, they again progressed through their group with ease, beating Spain, Algeria and Northern Ireland, overcoming Poland in the second round, all without conceding a goal, before losing out to France in another of the World Cup’s great games. Brazil had players of the calibre of Zico, Careca, Branco, Junior, Josimar and the legendary Socrates, not long from a spell in Ireland playing for UCD.

I’m sure there will be some of you who’ll have read that last bit again – surely not the Socrates Brasiliero Sampaio De Sousa Ferreira Oliveira? Yep, the same. Socrates, like many Brazilians, had a love for the beautiful game, but decided early on that it wouldn’t be a livelihood, and consequently decided to study medicine. The story goes that he came to UCD to study in 1976 and, while here, played for the first team, who were then a non-league side. From there, he went back to Brazil to play with Corinthians, where he won three Brazilian titles, spent a year with Fiorentina in Italy before returning home for two seasons with Flamengo and two with the famous Santos, whom he had supported as a boy.

In his international career, Socrates made his debut in 1979 and went on to be one of Brazil’s top 10 goalscorers of all time by his retirement from international football through injury in 1987 with 20 goals, including a goal in the aforementioned defeat to Italy, as well as a brace in the 4-0 win over Poland in 1986.

Alas, everything in the above story is true, except for one thing – Socrates’ much-lauded appearances for UCD never happened. He did arrive in Ireland to study in 1976, however, while with Botafogo – indeed, he spent two years in Ireland studying medicine, but he was a student in the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland in town, not in UCD. His love of soccer led him to attend the RCSI’s trials for their Collingwood Cup team. Alas, RCSI weren’t (and still aren’t!) known for their footballing abilities and, after seeing the quality of his potential team-mates, he quickly decided to concentrate on his medicine and gave up any aspirations of a football career in Ireland. Another urban myth which has done the rounds is that he played for Shelbourne – this is is similarly not true.

The Doc was the one who told me he went to Surgeons Pineapple stu. He was the one who debunked the UCD story in the first place.

pineapple stu
06/11/2005, 4:45 PM
The Doc was the one who told me he went to Surgeons Pineapple stu. He was the one who debunked the UCD story in the first place.
Must correct that article actually - according to the man himself, he didn't even go to RCSI. He says he was never in Dublin.

HarpoJoyce
06/11/2005, 5:43 PM
This author is recommended
http://www.playedinbritain.co.uk/SimonInglis/simon.html

Including of the the best books on football I've ever read. It only a little out of date now but still very relevant for my football holidays.
Luckily it includes architecture, stadium design and facilities, football history, other history, travel ....
http://www.playedinbritain.co.uk/SimonInglis/simoninglis-fooa.html

CollegeTillIDie
06/11/2005, 5:52 PM
The Dyed In The Wool book by Robin Browett is good if any Hoops fans are reading this. Robin passed away in January 2003 so it is also a memorial to one of Nature's gentlemen. Robin would have been well known the length and breadth of the country as he frequently visited away grounds following his beloved Shamrock Rovers.

hamish
10/11/2005, 1:57 PM
Does it have to be footie books lads??
Here's a few I bought recently:

The Truth with jokes.........by Al Franken
Mr. Galloway goes to Washington........by George Galloway
Will they ever trust us again...........by Michael Moore
Chain of Command...............by Seymour Hersh
Imperial Hubris............by Michael Scheuer
Big Lies...............by Joe Conason
No place like home...........by Gary Younge

and a footie one

Dynamo (triumph and tragedy in Nazi-occupied Kiev).....Andy Dougan

Strabane_Harp
10/11/2005, 2:52 PM
can you still get that book anywhere or can anyone lend me a copy please?

Post a message on the Finn Harps website and someone will get u a copy im sure

Breifne
10/11/2005, 4:47 PM
Still trying to get Mud, Sweat and Jeers by Jim Rhatigan though.............
KOH

Absolutely brilliant, laughed the entire way through it, all the stories are specific to Kilkenny City, but if you've ever been involved in Football at any level you will recognise the different characters from each story.

pineapple stu
10/11/2005, 8:50 PM
Has anybody read Baghdad FC yet? There's also a book out now about a season with East Stirling - the worst team in Scotland - called Pointless. Supposed to be fairly good.

Strabane_Harp
11/11/2005, 10:24 AM
Has anybody read Baghdad FC yet? There's also a book out now about a season with East Stirling - the worst team in Scotland - called Pointless. Supposed to be fairly good.

I got Baghdad FC as a present last week, quite good

although they seem to have better referee's :rolleyes:

monzo
12/11/2005, 1:22 PM
STRABANE HARP

Do you know if Patsy's book is available new anywhere?

Cheers,
Terry

Strabane_Harp
12/11/2005, 1:31 PM
Monzo if you speak to Patsy himself at the last home game im sure he will quite happily help out

monzo
13/11/2005, 10:37 AM
StrabaneHarps, might leave it next year - don't have much time on my hands anyway - would Patsy have some copies?

harpskid
13/11/2005, 11:53 AM
Monzo, come to me at the game on Friday and I'll see if I can get you one.