PDA

View Full Version : Camacho would consider Irish job

sligoman
01/11/2005, 5:46 PM
Former Spain and Real Madrid manager Jose Camacho has emerged as a potential future manager of the Republic of Ireland national team, according to a morning newspaper report.

Camacho was the man in charge when Spain edged past Mick McCarthy’s Ireland at the World Cup finals in 2002.

He subsequently took charge of Real, where he was an effervescent defender during his playing days, but left after just four months in 2004.

The 50-year-old is now in the market for a return to football – and, according to a report in the Irish Daily Star, would consider taking up the reins of the boys in green.

He told the paper: “I have not spoken directly with the FAI. I am aware of a rumour by my agent is the person responsible in this case.

“Of course I am in the market because I am not working at the minute ... I suppose I would prefer managing a club to a country, though it might not be possible to give this a negative response.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19781

:eek:

TheJamaicanP.M.
01/11/2005, 5:55 PM
Former Spain and Real Madrid manager Jose Camacho has emerged as a potential future manager of the Republic of Ireland national team, according to a morning newspaper report.

Camacho was the man in charge when Spain edged past Mick McCarthy’s Ireland at the World Cup finals in 2002.

He subsequently took charge of Real, where he was an effervescent defender during his playing days, but left after just four months in 2004.

The 50-year-old is now in the market for a return to football – and, according to a report in the Irish Daily Star, would consider taking up the reins of the boys in green.

He told the paper: “I have not spoken directly with the FAI. I am aware of a rumour by my agent is the person responsible in this case.

“Of course I am in the market because I am not working at the minute ... I suppose I would prefer managing a club to a country, though it might not be possible to give this a negative response.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19781

:eek:

Apart from the sweat patches on the arm-pits of his shirts, I don't think he could motivate our players.

onenilgameover
01/11/2005, 11:29 PM
Roddy Collins has a better chance!!

and uses a better class of anti-persirant

Neish
02/11/2005, 12:09 PM
Roddy Collins has a better chance!!

Naw Carlsberg don't do Nightmares

Partizan
02/11/2005, 12:11 PM
Naw Carlsberg don't do Nightmares

They do the worst hangovers though.

Kevin77
02/11/2005, 12:15 PM
I dont know what to think about this.

What has he done? Come on Statto's?

eirebhoy
02/11/2005, 12:28 PM
I dont know what to think about this.

What has he done? Come on Statto's?
Have a look at his first set of qualifiers as Spain coach:

Israel 1-2 Spain 14-10-1998
Spain 9-0 Austria 27-03-1999
San Marino 0-6 Spain 31-03-1999
Spain 9-0 San Marino 05-06-1999
Austria 1-3 Spain 04-09-1999
Spain 8-0 Cyprus 08-09-1999
Spain 3-0 Israel 10-10-1999

They got knocked out of Euro 2000 by France in the QF's. Knocked out of the WC on peno's by South Korea.

José Antonio Camacho (born June 8, 1955 in the village of Cieza, Murcia) is a former Spanish football (soccer) player and manager.

Camacho joined Real Madrid at age 18, playing left defence between 1973 and 1989 and taking part in 400 First Division matches, in spite of a knee injury which put his soccer career on hold for two years. He also played 81 games for the Spanish national team, taking part in two World Cups, in 1982 and 1986. Camacho also played in Euro 84 and Euro 88.

Following his retirement as a player in 1989, Camacho was part of the Real Madrid coaching team. He later went on to coach three more Spanish teams, two of which – Rayo Vallecano and Espanyol – he took into the First Division. He also coached Real Madrid for a brief 22 days in 1998, but left over disagreements with the club's management.

In 1998, Camacho took over from Javier Clemente in September 1998 after Spain were humiliated 3-2 by Cyprus in a Euro 2000 qualifier as the coach for Spain's national football team. Honest, forthright and firm, he was a refreshing change from Clemente, whose arrogant manner and mishandling of the media had been compounded by a long losing streak on the Spanish side.

The tide quickly turned under Camacho, who has signed up to coach the Spanish team up to the 2002 World Cup. Spain secured a spot at the 2000 European Championship, where Spain started off as one of the favourites (Spain reached the quarter finals, but was eliminated after a 2-1 defeat against France).

Two years later, Camacho's team suffered an even bigger disappointment by losing out to South Korea on penalties in the quarter-finals of the 2002 World Cup. This lead to his resignation of the national team which will be taken over by Iñaki Sáez.

After that, Camacho was appointed the new coach of Benfica on November 29, 2002. He would replace Jesualdo Ferreira, who was sacked after a poor start of his team. Two years later, his team won the Portuguese Cup and the runners-up of the Portuguese SuperLiga.

Camacho went on to coach Real Madrid again, he signed a two year contract after a disappointing forth-place finish in the 2003/2004 Spainish Primera Liga which led to the sacking of Carlos Queiróz. But things started to go wrong again, after his side suffered a 3-0 defeat at Bayer Leverkusen in the UEFA Champions League and had a 1-0 defeat at Espanyol four days later. Shortly after that he resigned and was replaced by his assistant Mariano Garcia Remon.

As of 2005, Camacho is unemployed.

Dublin12
02/11/2005, 12:36 PM
He'd be better than Staunton,Moran or any of the other ridiculous names being bandied about.

Kevin77
02/11/2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks for that

Sounds ok

But I still think my order of preference would be:

1. O'Neil or Ferguson ( can't seperate the two)
2. Burley
3. Ger Loughnane

Dotsy
02/11/2005, 12:49 PM
He'd be better than Staunton,Moran or any of the other ridiculous names being bandied about.

Exactly. South Korea beat a few useful teams in Japan and if my memory serves me correctly didn't we lose to Spain. Before people start saying we deserved to win that game save it. Moral victories don't interest me. Real Madrid haven't excatly set the CL or Spanish leagues alight for the last couple of years no matter who was in charge. Perhaps there was more to the guy quitting than just a couple of poor results.

Bottom line is that the guy played at the highest level and managed there too. Why wouldn't he get the respect of the Irish players. To have someone like him interested in the job is good as far as I am concerned. Some people seem to have ridiculously high expectation of who would be interested in the Ireland job. Camacho is head and shoulders above most of the potential managers being touted at the moment who have shown an interest in the job.

thejollyrodger
02/11/2005, 12:52 PM
Another spanish collapse no thanks. I dont think he can motivate the players and although we may play some nice football under him the results are never going to come.

Roddy Collins would be a better option.

sligoman
02/11/2005, 12:53 PM
He'd be better than Staunton,Moran or any of the other ridiculous names being bandied about.I agree. He's definetely better than the likes of Staunton

Aldini98
02/11/2005, 4:18 PM
Hes better than O'Leary too

Stuttgart88
02/11/2005, 4:45 PM
Wasn't Camacho really ungracious about Ireland's performnce against Spain in Suwon? He refused to give us any credit whatsoever. Now he wants to manage us?

Stuttgart88
02/11/2005, 4:47 PM
Also, I think being able to speak English ought to be a pretty obvious attribute. Not a credible candidate in my, often very wrong, opinion.

Closed Account 2
02/11/2005, 9:26 PM
Wasn't Camacho really ungracious about Ireland's performnce against Spain in Suwon? He refused to give us any credit whatsoever. Now he wants to manage us?

Yeah I seem to remember him making some sort of sneering remark about flowers in arses or something...

geysir
02/11/2005, 11:01 PM
Yeah I seem to remember him making some sort of sneering remark about flowers in arses or something...
Its close enough but not quite the story. Camacho's comments were translated from Spanish. After the game he was under assault (his backside having sat in the bacon slicer). Some brave hack fired the comment about the Spaniards being lucky. Camacho's translated reply was that it was Ireland who had the flower stuck up their arses. In Spanish jargon, the lucky ones have a flower growing up some where the sun doesn't shine.
A funny item in one of the Spanish papers was a cartoon of Camacho with the sweat under his arm forming the outline of the map of Spain.
The Spanish press did round on Hierro for trying to take a poloneck sweater off a giraffe but the general press view was that
Spain were woeful and anybody besides Ireland would have nailed them.
It does bear remembering after our recent footballing traumas that we ended up with 4 strikers to Spain's one. Camacho gambled on Ireland not scoring. Rings a familiar bell :)

Dotsy
03/11/2005, 8:07 AM

I don't think what he said in the immediate aftermath of a hard match when he was been slated by the press is particulary relevant. Your point about him not speaking English is very valid though (assuming he doesn't speak English). I hadn't thought of that. I agree it would put him at a disadvantage definitely.

Dublin12
03/11/2005, 8:13 AM
Your point about him not speaking English is very valid though (assuming he doesn't speak English). I hadn't thought of that. I agree it would put him at a disadvantage definitely.

Obviously not a problem if they're considering Staunton:p

Dotsy
03/11/2005, 10:11 AM
Obviously not a problem if they're considering Staunton:p

LMAO:D